Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

If the current KS fails, would you fund a 2nd KS (lower goal)?

13»

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon

If it was a KickSTARTER, he should have treated as such. I mean he knows how much of a niche this game would be. And how he risked losing potential backers with his abandonment of PvE stance. He should have set a goal of 1.25 million to actually START the Kickstarter, get a solid website, some 3d models and some tech demos going and then explained to the base that a second Kickstarter would be needed for 775k in order to fully fund this project. He wanted 5 million total for this niche title, but refused to look at things realistically. How does he know 5 million is the magic number for even a niche mmo with no PvE? And if it was then asking the player base to foot damn near half that amount before alpha should have raised a flag. Was DAoC 5 million? I dunno. But we don't have that kind of disclosure. We have a put up or shut up mentality. A if it doesn't fund 2 million then its toast kinda developer here.

Don't mind that no other mmo in the short life of Kickstarter has even asked for this much for even a larger scope mmo. Dunno, if the goal for getting even the smallest niche mmo off the ground cost too much for developers on Kickstarter, then maybe mmos shouldn't be kickstarted in the first place. Maybe mmo developers should look else where if all mmos from this point forward are going to cost 5-10 million dollars just to even reach the maybe category. Hell we don't even know what the total budget would have been if the stretch goals were added. If this project fails I'd be disappointed but hardly surprised. And it's only because I hate to see any group of mmo players without at least 1 freakin mmo they find worthy of playing. Well that and Kickstarter is the only option I see for a proper UO 3D mmo to be made...

P.S. I voted maybe because at that point there could be more game to show.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• QullexQullex SLC, UTPosts: 12Member
    No, because its not my kind of game. For the fans of the project, I hope it succeeds. But personally I doubt there are enough people interested.
  • taus01taus01 MunichPosts: 1,352Member
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    Originally posted by taus01

No matter how often you repeat that it is KickSTARTER not KickENDER, that people don't understand how Kickstarter works and my favourite, "But Project X had even less to show", it does not change one little fact:

This campaign only convinced 7600 people so far and is going to fail at the current rate.

All of this in the day and age where millions put up money for Alpha/Beta access of games that are not even finished, happily paying for beta access and completely ridiculous founders packages for $200.

Has it ever crossed your mind that there is something wrong with the campaign or how it is presented?

actually i think it has a lot more to do with the fact that rvr game w/o pve is even more niche then most people think

Very valid point, that is a huge factor.

Another HUGE factor is the monthly subscription he wants. That alone shows how out of touch with current gamers this campaign is. Don't get me wrong, i'd be happy to pay monthly but only if this game delivers more than F2P titles which i can not see from this campaign. Monthly fee is a death sentence especially for an extreme niche game like this.

Paying now for a maybe game in 5 years knowing i then have to pay monthly to actually play it? Who knows what other games will come out until then.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member

if there were even 120 seconds of a character in an alpha build slashing the most retarded of mobs it would have funded after a week.

with the amount of KS showing alpha footage as a proof of concept, you can't talk 99.9% of the time and show some 3d models and call it a day.

• EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    I think they set the goal too high. Its not like they couldnt have set 1 mill and then exceeded that and kept it regardless.
  • UlorikUlorik TorrancePosts: 172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MightyPit

While I am a dedicated follower of CU and the ideas behind it, I think that the question is whether enough people will play the game when it is finished. And I don't think of peak numbers at release, but as a steady flow of subscription fees over some years.

Leave the money asside, are 10k backer enough to assume that there will be a loyal playerbase of at least 50k players?

See above !

Again, this Kickstarter is not really about getting the game fully funded, but to see if there are enough people willing to get seriously involved in it. Then additional outside funding will come.

I don't know what the magic number of subscribers is to make this viable and if MJ gave us the projected numbers it would probably make the Kickstarter as a market research tool pretty useless.

So, for our economically gifted friends out there: If we assume subscriptions of around 12 months length each and the usual app. £10,- sub per month, how many subscribers would you need to make an investement of $2 mio (MJ) + $1mio (outside investors) viable to get some return ?(don't forget the people investing the additional  $2 mio from the kickstarter will have effectively bought the game and some subscription time already)

Projected number of necessary subscribers based on kickstarter result = your answer if game will go ahead or not

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Midland, GAPosts: 185Member

How you run a KS project represents how you'd run other projects.

I'm very unimpressed with how this KS was planned, they need better leadership.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Hooksett, NHPosts: 637Member Uncommon

It's one of the most successful and fastest growing KS to date.

Yeah, bad leadership folks.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member

No matter how often you repeat that it is KickSTARTER not KickENDER, that people don't understand how Kickstarter works and my favourite, "But Project X had even less to show", it does not change one little fact:

This campaign only convinced 7600 people so far and is going to fail at the current rate.

All of this in the day and age where millions put up money for Alpha/Beta access of games that are not even finished, happily paying for beta access and completely ridiculous founders packages for $200.

Has it ever crossed your mind that there is something wrong with the campaign or how it is presented?

Yes.

Elite 2.2m from 25k backers 

Star Citizen 2.1m from 35k backers

People know how kickstarter works. Elite had a few artists impressions, but a lot of fans of the Original space sim. Star Citizen had a lot of fans of freelancer backing it too.

both of these projects asked for less than 2m

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Right - most succesful - look here - http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/most-funded#p1

Might be the most unsuccessful yes - not most successful - showing CU bias here.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• SorninSornin Richmond, BCPosts: 1,133Member

While I am a dedicated follower of CU and the ideas behind it, I think that the question is whether enough people will play the game when it is finished. And I don't think of peak numbers at release, but as a steady flow of subscription fees over some years.

Leave the money asside, are 10k backer enough to assume that there will be a loyal playerbase of at least 50k players? 

I would not be surprised if there is a 1,000% increase in population of players compared to backers if CU were to get funded, developed, and released. A lot of the people not pledging seem interested, they just do not want to support its development. If, as, and when the game came out, I think many with that mentality would purchase it. Kickstater is just not for everyone, and most people do not want to put down money now for something 2+ years off. It is understandable, but at the same time it makes it much tougher for CU to fund.

Anyway, I think 20,000 backers could translate into 200,000 players down the road. There are enough players who try almost every MMORPG that comes out to assure a massive increase, at any rate. The goal would be to hold their interest.

• BenediktBenedikt PraguePosts: 1,406Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by botrytis

Right - most succesful - look here - http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/most-funded#p1

Might be the most unsuccessful yes - not most successful - showing CU bias here.

he didnt say most successful - he said one of the most successful, which is true - according to the link you posted it is currently 16. most funded game project - out of who knows how many, didnt find how many game projects are there, but overall there are "more than 39,000 funded creative projects".

Originally posted by Ulorik

See above !

Again, this Kickstarter is not really about getting the game fully funded, but to see if there are enough people willing to get seriously involved in it. Then additional outside funding will come.

I don't know what the magic number of subscribers is to make this viable and if MJ gave us the projected numbers it would probably make the Kickstarter as a market research tool pretty useless.

So, for our economically gifted friends out there: If we assume subscriptions of around 12 months length each and the usual app. £10,- sub per month, how many subscribers would you need to make an investement of $2 mio (MJ) + $1mio (outside investors) viable to get some return ?(don't forget the people investing the additional  $2 mio from the kickstarter will have effectively bought the game and some subscription time already)

Projected number of necessary subscribers based on kickstarter result = your answer if game will go ahead or not

What you want to look at is the Operating Income. Or: Sales – Cost of Sales – Operating Expenses = Operating Income

You want to compare that to the Industry average for your business. For the Gaming Industry this is usually around 10-12%. I don't have exact numbers right now, you could google it if needed.

To recover the invested 5 million in the first year, the game needs an average of 350,000 subscribers per month ($12) in the first year.

**This does not include additional retail or digital sales or the backers that get discounts/free/$1 per year subscriptions.

With a more realistic subscriber base of 50,000, the game would need an additional 5 years on top of the 3-5 years development to break even. Even so, it would only generate $720k in profits per year. Taking these numbers we are looking at a ROI of 14.4% p.a.

Considering the risk and time involved this is a very bad investment.

• spector_0_0spector_0_0 Bar Harbor, MEPosts: 28Member

While I have already supported this project, I wouldn't support a second attempt unless a considerable amount of work was done to warrant another kickstart/different outcome.  Two million dollars is an extremely large goal for a project that is only in the conceptual stage.  (Kickstarter has plenty of projects with working prototypes, but, yes, mmorpgs are quite different than most projects, difficult and expensive!)  As it stands, I feel one of the biggest reasons a number of potential backers have chosen not to support the game (at this point in time) is that very few fundamental concepts have been settled upon.  If a game, especially an mmorpg, is to be funded on kickstarter, it really needs to disclose those fundamentals.  This is not an industry-supported game that can tease the announcement of races, classes, environments, trade skills, and character progression to generate sales.  The "sales" are generating as soon as the countdown begins on kickstarter, and these core concepts need to be disclosed.  I strongly believe that MJ and his team could pull this project off, hence why I supported the kickstarter.  

A really good example of a response to the kickstarter comes from a good friend who I informed about the project.  As a long-time DAoC player, I forwarded him information about "The Depths" and to the kickstarter page for other basic game information.  After explaining to him that The Depths was being considered a "stretch goal" (content based on more $ generated beyond goal), his question was, "This dungeon is awesome!  But what are they planning to use the $2 million for that is taking precedence over this dungeon?  If they can convince me that the "base" game will be this engaging, then I will support it."

I think many potential supporters, like my friend, are waiting to hear how engaging the "core" game will be (i.e., what content is being created with the 2 million goal) before they essentially pay for it 2+ years in advance.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    I would have like mj to put his money where his mouth is and make a demo first.

I might pledge for something where I can see gameplay. I won't pledge for an idea, as much as I like the game its based upon. I've taken a similar attitude with the elite kickstarter.

Now I have put money into starbound. The reason being they have demos, they have a road map etc.. BEFORE they asked for cash.
  • RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    Originally posted by botrytis

he didnt say most successful - he said one of the most successful, which is true - according to the link you posted it is currently 16. most funded game project - out of who knows how many, didnt find how many game projects are there, but overall there are "more than 39,000 funded creative projects".

CU has not funded so it doesn't qualify for that chart. Those are for KS that REACH their target, if CU gets 1999999usd it fails, there is no middle ground. 

• will75will75 Fatalis,The Combine, SoB... Semi retired, waiting for next big thing.., FLPosts: 353Member

How can you compare a small studio... to a game industry average? Do you know how many small businesses would close if they averaged the "average" of their industry in costs? 

Let's say the game sold 50k copies @ 40$ each. Since it sounds like the goal at this point is going to be digital for the most part.. that's 2mil profit. Let's say 50k people subscribe at $12 a month.  Let's forget the 8k backers, or 10k backers etc...

Let's also forget that the 2 million that's being pledged HAS very little cost for the company, and if anything is free advertising at it's best. How much is CU's advertising worth? Imagine reaching as many people as CU has so far with your personal online store's website that is competitive with pricing? Pretty good investment imo. 

So let's see, that's 3 million MJ has invested. He sells 50k copies, I don't think 50k is a stretch for this game if it's released.So now we are at 2 million. 2/3 of the investment is back. I have no idea what the cost of servers are etc.. Let's say that's already factored into the development cycle, you'd be an idiot studio to not already account for potential hardware purchases.

2 million=free money with the write off as it's advertising  and cost of business

3 million in debt.

50k sales = 2 million dollars at $40 a game, which i think is fair for this game if released with 1 month free

35k recurring subs at end of 1st month = 425k

let's say you sell another 25k in the 2nd month because the game is actually doing well...  But you lose 10k subs overall

25k box sales x $40  =1 million

End of 2nd month is upon us we lose 10k subs but now have a total of 65k subs at $12 each  $780k at the end of that month.

So income is $3 million in sales +1 mil 205k in subs.

so 4.2 mil by month 3.

My estimates may or may not be even close to be possible. But they don't sound rediculous like you tried to pass off... or i should say sensationalize which is what a good troll would do. Nice work!

Originally posted by will75

How can you compare a small studio... to a game industry average? Do you know how many small businesses would close if they averaged the "average" of their industry in costs? 

Let's say the game sold 50k copies @ 40$ each. Since it sounds like the goal at this point is going to be digital for the most part.. that's 2mil profit. Let's say 50k people subscribe at $12 a month.  Let's forget the 8k backers, or 10k backers etc...

Let's also forget that the 2 million that's being pledged HAS very little cost for the company, and if anything is free advertising at it's best. How much is CU's advertising worth? Imagine reaching as many people as CU has so far with your personal online store's website that is competitive with pricing? Pretty good investment imo. 

So let's see, that's 3 million MJ has invested. He sells 50k copies, I don't think 50k is a stretch for this game if it's released.So now we are at 2 million. 2/3 of the investment is back. I have no idea what the cost of servers are etc.. Let's say that's already factored into the development cycle, you'd be an idiot studio to not already account for potential hardware purchases.

2 million=free money with the write off as it's advertising  and cost of business

3 million in debt.

50k sales = 2 million dollars at $40 a game, which i think is fair for this game if released with 1 month free

let's say you sell another 25k in the 2nd month because the game is actually doing well...  But you lose 10k subs overall

End of 2nd month is upon us we lose 10k subs but now have a total of 65k subs at $12 each  $780k at the end of that month.

so 4.2 mil by month 3.

My estimates may or may not be even close to be possible. But they don't sound rediculous like you tried to pass off... or i should say sensationalize which is what a good troll would do. Nice work!

So you have no expenses, you don't pay rent for the office, nothing for electricity, the product magically packages and ships itself to the cutomers after purchase, you pay no tax and of cause you don't pay your employees?

"Tell Me, Have You Ever Visited The Planet Earth, Sir?" ~ Edmund to Melchett (Black Adder)

• will75will75 Fatalis,The Combine, SoB... Semi retired, waiting for next big thing.., FLPosts: 353Member

3 million in debt.

so 4.2 mil by month 3.

So you have no expenses like server cost or marketing, the product magically packages and ships itself to the cutomers after purchase, you pay no tax and of cause you don't pay your employees?

"Tell Me, Have You Ever Visited The Planet Earth, Sir?" ~ Edmund to Melchett (Black Adder)

How much experience in business do you have? If you did, or actually ran a 100k+ business you'd know. I can attest from being my own bookeeper of my own business just what is considered an expense and what's not.  You don't think they can write much of those expenses off as a tax write off? Well... they can. And i stated it was digital sales, not boxed sales. My estimations were low on a successful game. If this game is made i think it'll be in the 50-100k subscriber range. After month 3, they are already breaking even or profiting. How much did dark age of camelot cost to make? I don't recall.Maybe mark can chime in...

3 million in debt.

so 4.2 mil by month 3.

So you have no expenses like server cost or marketing, the product magically packages and ships itself to the cutomers after purchase, you pay no tax and of cause you don't pay your employees?

How much experience in business do you have? If you did, or actually ran a 100k+ business you'd know. I can attest from being my own bookeeper of my own business just what is considered an expense and what's not.  You don't think they can write much of those expenses off as a tax write off? Well... they can. And i stated it was digital sales, not boxed sales. My estimations were low on a successful game. If this game is made i think it'll be in the 50-100k subscriber range. After month 3, they are already breaking even or profiting. How much did dark age of camelot cost to make? I don't recall.Maybe mark can chime in...

Why am i even arguing with you? You are one of those people that think selling 50,000 games for $40 will make the company 2 million in profit. It's 2 Million in sales not profit and aparently you do not pay office rent, electricity, your employees work for free, no social security, no Medicare, taxes, distribution (even digital is not free), you never heard of price adjustment or price protection (google it)... the list goes on.

You did put up box sales (see the text i marked in red).

Anyways, let's just end this here and get the thread back on track.

Good luck with your 100k+ business.

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Midland, GAPosts: 185Member

It would have been fine if all they were asking for was a couple hundred thou, apparently even a million.

Maybe i'm being too hard on them, yes other KS projects have been successful with as little info provided as CU.

Only 11 other KS game campaigns have reached the $2 million mark. Of those, all blew WAY past their goal.

In fact, the highest goal of all of those games over $2 million was project eternity, which only wanted $1,100,000, but raised nearly $4 million.

So yes MJ and CSE has raised quite a bit, and will probably hit the $1.5 million mark, but go look at kickstarters with a much lower goal, look at the kind of exciting video they have. A world map that gives me a boner.

They have a wiki page with the kind of awesome info that players crave. Races, classes, skills, modes, deities, magic, technology (ingame mechanic), soul mechanic.

Why I'm so critical of the CU KS is that if CSE were as prepared for the KS as obsidian (whome's goal was half of CSE's), the CU projected would have been funded easily.

All of those games that reached $2 I can go visit their websites and KS page and get a clear vision of where the projects are heading, and they're fucking exciting. All of them. I would back all of them, but I spent all my money on CU and whores. :(

I'm also fucking astonished, fucking amazed that they could spend $150k on this KS with so little to show for it. There are projected that only wanted $30k funding with more impressive presentations than anything CSE has presented.

I mean did what cost them so much? That isn't just disappointing, thats SCARY. If money evaporates in his hands like that, I might just want to put my thou back in my pocket.

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member

Probably, but I don't see it happening.  If it did happen, it probably would be even harder to gain backers than the first go around anyway.  This is pretty much the one shot it has.

It's actually 300k and that's profit. I am not going to argue with you either, sure if you're going to get into specifics you can argue to the cows come home. But you spouted data that was so far from even remotely accurate... where is.mine, are pure numbers compared to numbers they have quoted.If they don't sell 50k, well then i'm wrong
  • DanwarrDanwarr Grove City, PAPosts: 185Member
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa

It would have been fine if all they were asking for was a couple hundred thou, apparently even a million.

Maybe i'm being too hard on them, yes other KS projects have been successful with as little info provided as CU.

Only 11 other KS game campaigns have reached the $2 million mark. Of those, all blew WAY past their goal.

In fact, the highest goal of all of those games over $2 million was project eternity, which only wanted $1,100,000, but raised nearly $4 million.

So yes MJ and CSE has raised quite a bit, and will probably hit the $1.5 million mark, but go look at kickstarters with a much lower goal, look at the kind of exciting video they have. A world map that gives me a boner.

They have a wiki page with the kind of awesome info that players crave. Races, classes, skills, modes, deities, magic, technology (ingame mechanic), soul mechanic.

Why I'm so critical of the CU KS is that if CSE were as prepared for the KS as obsidian (whome's goal was half of CSE's), the CU projected would have been funded easily.

All of those games that reached $2 I can go visit their websites and KS page and get a clear vision of where the projects are heading, and they're fucking exciting. All of them. I would back all of them, but I spent all my money on CU and whores. :(

I'm also fucking astonished, fucking amazed that they could spend $150k on this KS with so little to show for it. There are projected that only wanted $30k funding with more impressive presentations than anything CSE has presented.

Where did you see this?

I mean did what cost them so much? That isn't just disappointing, thats SCARY. If money evaporates in his hands like that, I might just want to put my thou back in my pocket.

I agree that CSE could have, and probably should have, done more prior to launching their Kickstarter campaign. 

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

13»