Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What I feel is an intriguing idea. (Raids)

LacompLacomp Alexandria, LAPosts: 9Member
We are all familiar with the pros and cons of WoW type progression and GW2 type progression.........but what if............there was a progression that kind of melded the two together. Here is what I mean. In WoW the only content relevant to most people is the latest raid. Even if you haven't done any of the raids before it you can still generally get good enough gear from dungeons to do the latest raid. Unfortunately as new raids come out the old ones become obselete so you have trouble finding people willing to do the old raids.  In games like Guild Wars 2 raids dont even exist. I see a huge problem with both of these.Games like Guild Wars 2 cater more to the casual gamer and games like WoW more to the hardcore raider. Seems to me there has to be a way to make a system that allows for old content to never be completely obselete and for a way to progress to the newer content. So, what if you would mix the WoW world with the GW2 world. What I mean is lets say a game would launch with say 2 raids. Your character would be unable to get into that second raid without completely finishing the first raid. Now heres the kicker, you wouldn't do these raids hoping for gear. In fact you wouldn't get any gear out of these raids unless you completed the whole raid........BUT.........if you defeated the raid you would get a WHOLE SET OF GEAR (weapons and all). Now, here is the kicker and what would get people coming back. Each raid would offer say, 5 different sets of gear per class (doesnt have to be 5, could be say 3 but Im ballparking here), upon completeing the raid you could choose only one but would have the option to do the raid and get the other sets again in order to transmog over newer gear. Also, if you were to acquire every set you would then get a mount and achievement and title for all your efforts. But in order to get the mount, achievement and title you would have to get every set for your character. The thing is, once you defeat the raid once you would then have the option to go to the 2nd raid if you wished. Completing that raid would get you the 2nd tier of gear. (although your gear scales down to the first raid gear if you have 2nd raid gear. this keeps people from being unfairly carried in raids) This system I feel would keep a steady amount of the population in older raids without having the older raids become obselete. I mean, we could have expansions where the primary focus would be raids. I think that would be amazing. Feel free to build on this idea in the comments.

Comments

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    your post looks like a borg cube.
  • LacompLacomp Alexandria, LAPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    your post looks like a borg cube.

    Care to rewrite it for me?

  • EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    Originally posted by Lacomp
    We are all familiar with the pros and cons of WoW type progression and GW2 type progression.........but what if............there was a progression that kind of melded the two together. Here is what I mean. In WoW the only content relevant to most people is the latest raid. Even if you haven't done any of the raids before it you can still generally get good enough gear from dungeons to do the latest raid. Unfortunately as new raids come out the old ones become obselete so you have trouble finding people willing to do the old raids.  In games like Guild Wars 2 raids dont even exist. I see a huge problem with both of these.Games like Guild Wars 2 cater more to the casual gamer and games like WoW more to the hardcore raider. Seems to me there has to be a way to make a system that allows for old content to never be completely obselete and for a way to progress to the newer content. So, what if you would mix the WoW world with the GW2 world. What I mean is lets say a game would launch with say 2 raids. Your character would be unable to get into that second raid without completely finishing the first raid. Now heres the kicker, you wouldn't do these raids hoping for gear. In fact you wouldn't get any gear out of these raids unless you completed the whole raid........BUT.........if you defeated the raid you would get a WHOLE SET OF GEAR (weapons and all). Now, here is the kicker and what would get people coming back. Each raid would offer say, 5 different sets of gear per class (doesnt have to be 5, could be say 3 but Im ballparking here), upon completeing the raid you could choose only one but would have the option to do the raid and get the other sets again in order to transmog over newer gear. Also, if you were to acquire every set you would then get a mount and achievement and title for all your efforts. But in order to get the mount, achievement and title you would have to get every set for your character. The thing is, once you defeat the raid once you would then have the option to go to the 2nd raid if you wished. Completing that raid would get you the 2nd tier of gear. (although your gear scales down to the first raid gear if you have 2nd raid gear. this keeps people from being unfairly carried in raids) This system I feel would keep a steady amount of the population in older raids without having the older raids become obselete. I mean, we could have expansions where the primary focus would be raids. I think that would be amazing. Feel free to build on this idea in the comments.

    Interesting idea. There are some kinks that would need to be worked out but I'm not against it for sure.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,677Member Uncommon

     

    On a more serious note, it seems like it might appeal to the gear chasers, but it also seems to make the carrot on a stick just that much more apparent for the rest of the players.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

     

    On a more serious note, it seems like it might appeal to the gear chasers, but it also seems to make the carrot on a stick just that much more apparent for the rest of the players.

    LMMFAO. did you actually insert his post into there?

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

    Requiring players to complete a whole raid before getting anything is highly unfriendly to busy people. Not everyone can stay hours and hours to finish a raid.

    Players are ALREADY going back to older raids (in WOW) to get transmorg gear or mount.

    I think it is easy to just add more incentive like a chance to drop the current dungeon level gear.

  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

    Requiring players to complete a whole raid before getting anything is highly unfriendly to busy people. Not everyone can stay hours and hours to finish a raid.

    Players are ALREADY going back to older raids (in WOW) to get transmorg gear or mount.

    I think it is easy to just add more incentive like a chance to drop the current dungeon level gear.

    Kudos for actually reading that.  What is your Borg designation?

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member

    Or how about we just have non-tierred raiding with dynamic AI? DAoC's raiding system was perfection.

    And that's the first time I've ever heard anyone try to claim WoW was hardcore for anything haha

  • EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

    Or how about we just have non-tierred raiding with dynamic AI? DAoC's raiding system was perfection.

    And that's the first time I've ever heard anyone try to claim WoW was hardcore for anything haha

    You must have never played vanilla wow with 40 man raids

  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILPosts: 1,558Member Uncommon

    I like to raid but I can't spend hours and hours either.  I can read borg, too.

     


Sign In or Register to comment.