Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does GW2 compare to WoW?

13»

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Shazzel

Having played to 80 in guild wars 2 and quit , can someone explain what is good about it? maybe I missed the memo.  The world was kinda cool the first 20 levels then you realize that its just the same over and over, till 80.

GW2 starts off very strong in the first 20 levels but most players quickly realize how poor the quest(dynamic event/heart) variety is. I can't even count how many times I had to defend a camp from X waves of enemies, or collect objects on the ground for an NPC. Entering a new zone doesn't feel new at all. Dynamic events become trivial when the players make a zerg, and most impossible w<span blurb_expanded"="">hen solo. The game makes it difficult/pointless and not fun to group with friends.

Socialize? nope none I made 0 friends and talked to almost no one from 1-80 (note: I am not anti-social and made lots of friends in other MMO's). There just is no reason to talk to anyone.

Dungeons? After playing them, the dungeons are generally poorly constructed and not a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy doing them 1000x times for gear & farming. MMO sadism at its finest.

Endgame? stationary farming over and over, dungeons or working the auction house. Game play is boring and feels very disconnected. Could be the worst economy in any mmo to date. bots bots bots, player , bots , bots bots, player.

The entire system just lends itself to buying gold online (cheaply) or from Anet (expensive) to bypass the massive grind. Not sure what the point is since the grind is the ENDGAME, save your money and buy a new game not named Guild Wars 2

Huh. I'd swear from reading this that you never played GW2 and made all this crap up. Simple fact... it only took two or three CoF runs to get a piece of gear from there (I wanted the shoulder skin). Bots haven't been a serious issue since... well, ages. WvW is my current endgame, unless I'm doing Fractals for fun, working map completions or contemplating going for my first Legendary. Oh, and the Super Adventure Box. Buying gold is for fools. Gold is only one currency, and not one of the most important ones. 

You know... there's a free trial this weekend. Maybe you should actually play the game before making shtako up.

He probably played on release and burned to 80, didn't educate himself enough on the game, and quit.

Even in Vanilla WoW way back when you had to learn the game. Why? because it was one of the only MMORPGs out. You forced yourself to learn the game. GW2 comes along, you hit 80 and you expect it to be like WoW and see no point in continuing. 

Anyway, I love WoW but I can differentiate the difference between the two and play both. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

GW2 came to my attention because it has the greatest number of people using the GW2 forums by 3x the next most popular forums.

That''s quite an amazing acheivement to sustain for a year.

It also has a slightly better rating than the next most rated game - The Secret World.

So I will be trying GW2 this weekend - there must be something in it.

(And it obviously appears to be better than SWTOR).

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

GW2 came to my attention because it has the greatest number of people using the GW2 forums by 3x the next most popular forums.

It also has a slightly better rating than the next most rated game - The Secret World.

No harm in trying it out this weekend for free. Grab a key and download the game (15GB) :) See ya ingame

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by itsbigmike
    If you want to do nothing but pvp once you get max level you may like guild wars, but pve at endgame is essentially pointless once you get your orange/red gear

And WoW is different how once you get your gear? I think he was looking for differences! :)

a 50k crit is different than a 40k crit!  lol  ;)

You need that to kill the monster that has 10k more hp so you can get the 60k crit weapon (to kill the monster that has 20k more hp)

Sounds Exhilirating  :D .

• LacompLacomp Member Posts: 9
    Apples and Oranges my friend. Apples and Oranges.
  • akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I'm not liking that bottom comment :D

Though Guild Wars 2 was a good game, the overuse of  jumping puzzles( I suck at them btw) and the lack of progression options leave you thinking what to do next, as the start-zones are emptier than they used to be, and there's not as many dynamic events at such a frequency anymore which leaves a gap, and leaves you wondering what to do next. It is a great game, but it's always missed something, and those guys at Arenanet really put in allot of effort with regards to events, etc. 

I'll reroll an alt when there's an expansion, and see what comes next. 

At top level you are literally top level. You can get fluff for grind, and that's not for me.

I still play Swtor, will be my primary for a very long time cause of the extremely healthy population, etc., but that's just me.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by aesperus

I saw this Angry Joe review - he gave GW2 10/10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

GW2 looks amazing.

But how does it compare to WoW?

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of people who have played GW2 for quite a while.

They're very different games.

Perhaps the biggest mistake most players make, is treating them like they're the same. GW2 does a fairly poor job of demonstrating how different the game is to new players, you kinda have to learn that on your own (adapt your own mindset to accept this).

That said;

- WoW is a very polished, raid-oriented gear grind game. The primary focus for most WoW players are playing those new dungeons / raids, and striving to get the next tier of gear.

- GW2 is a fairly polished skill-based game, with focus on customization over tiered gear. You can get the best stats in the game quite easily, and for some this doesn't give them that feeling of accomplishment they've grown to expect  from most MMOs. Furthermore, the game is skill-based, so expect to have to challenge yourself and make your own accomplishments. The game doesn't really force you to do anything, but that also means it's not going to go out of it's way to make you feel special either.

Basically, if you enjoy traditional WoW-style themepark MMOs, stick w/ WoW. If you want to try a different style of gameplay (somewhere in between themepark and sandbox), GW2 is definitely worth trying out. Just give it a fair shot. There's a lot of different ways to experience the game. Some people make the mistake of assuming they have to play it a particular way, and then give up. One big example of this is in the classes. Each class feels extremely different in playstyle. You may love one, and hate the others.

How is GW2 a skill-based game and how does that translate into extra challenge? From my experience with GW2 it is not any more challenging than your standard MMO. Does lack of gear progression = skill based game? PvE to me seems just as challenging as WoW's PvE. In PvP sPvP can be considered skill based as gear and skills are completely taken out of the equation. But I do think that WoW's arena play is just as skill based. Actually I found WoW's arenas to be much more challengng than the sPvP in GW2.

@OP, they are very different. GW2 follows the same philosophy as its predecessor of not having any real gear progression. Once you hit max level you will get the best armour pretty soon. Then you can grind dungeons for item skins just like in GW1. GW2 doesn't haave the class roles you see in other games. Most classes are dps classes with some utility spin thrown in. However, they do play very differently.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

gw2 is one of those mmos that every mmo player should try. I didn't like it but I don't regret buying it. I played for 2 months and put in a fair number of hours in that time.

It's one of those games that could be the best mmo you've played in years. Anyone really looking for one to play should always jump at that :)

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Siphaed's post is very complete, so I will only add this:

Since I play GW2, all those "quest hub with fixed quests" based MMORPG, including WoW, are boring to me. I couldn't be arsed to level more than one character through Pandaria, just thinking I had to level my alt doing EXACTLY the same quests in the same areas made be abandon before I even started.

And I'm no WoW hater, 2 accounts for 8 years, and I had a blast in that game up to "hardcore" raiding. But it's over now, I couldn't go back to that kind of theme park MMO after playing GW2.

I don't see any difference in what you are describing, and Hearts.  They are a fixed point (you can see them on a map) with a heart rather than a question mark.  And yes, they are exactly the same quests as you level your alts through the same areas.

I play the game and I like it, so I'm not hating here.  However, if you think there is a difference between what you described and GW2's Hearts then you have blinders on.

Oh, and you couldn't get any more themepark than GW2.

• shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34
    I think what people are getting into arguments about is the hearts (which are quests) but are for renown (karma) yes they give xp money and rewards, but you don't need to do them to level your character, some other people do the DE's around an area and call them quests, and in that way they can be different with different characters, as not all DE's pop just by walking by. So yes, you can level alts without doing the same "Quests" over and over. If done in that way. It's all a matter of prefence. My sister is currently leveling an alt by crafting and gathering mats for crafting. Many ways to get to 80. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Since I play GW2, all those "quest hub with fixed quests" based MMORPG, including WoW, are boring to me. I couldn't be arsed to level more than one character through Pandaria, just thinking I had to level my alt doing EXACTLY the same quests in the same areas made be abandon before I even started.

And I'm no WoW hater, 2 accounts for 8 years, and I had a blast in that game up to "hardcore" raiding. But it's over now, I couldn't go back to that kind of theme park MMO after playing GW2.

I don't see any difference in what you are describing, and Hearts.  They are a fixed point (you can see them on a map) with a heart rather than a question mark.  And yes, they are exactly the same quests as you level your alts through the same areas.

I play the game and I like it, so I'm not hating here.  However, if you think there is a difference between what you described and GW2's Hearts then you have blinders on.

I played WoW.  I play GW2.  Hearts are not the same as WoW quests, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

1.) For starters, you never have to run back to anyone.  The fact that the heart NPC is always in the same place really doesn't matter, mostly for reason 2.

2.) You can almost always complete Hearts in numerous ways, unlike WoW's quests that always have one objective (at least at the time I last played).  So that means they are NOT exactly the same quests for your alts.  In fact, I've done a different objective on the same heart for 3 different alts.  I can CHOOSE what way to fill that bar, negating your point completely.

He said he's bored because of the type of questing, not that it has questing, and said he doesn't want to go back to "that type" of MMORPG.  Try reading a little harder.  No one ever said GW2 wasn't a themepark, but I feel the exact same way... I couldn't go back to WoW's questing (the ONLY type of questing it has by the way) after GW2.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I played WoW.  I play GW2.  Hearts are not the same as WoW quests, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

1.) For starters, you never have to run back to anyone.  The fact that the heart NPC is always in the same place really doesn't matter, mostly for reason 2.

2.) You can almost always complete Hearts in numerous ways, unlike WoW's quests that always have one objective (at least at the time I last played).  So that means they are NOT exactly the same quests for your alts.  In fact, I've done a different objective on the same heart for 3 different alts.  I can CHOOSE what way to fill that bar, negating your point completely.

He said he's bored because of the type of questing, not that it has questing, and said he doesn't want to go back to "that type" of MMORPG.  Try reading a little harder.  No one ever said GW2 wasn't a themepark, but I feel the exact same way... I couldn't go back to WoW's questing (the ONLY type of questing it has by the way) after GW2.

Just to add on to this, if I may... how many times have you accidentally completed hearts while completing events that broke out in the area? That happens a lot to me.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Just to add on to this, if I may... how many times have you accidentally completed hearts while completing events that broke out in the area? That happens a lot to me.

Good point, that's happened to me a ton.  And even if I didn't complete the heart, part of it was filled before I even KNEW I was doing a "quest".  People can say there's no difference between WoW quests and GW2 quests, but people can also be wrong.  I don't know how much different knowing you're doing 1 objective and not knowing you're doing 1 of 3 or more objectives can be.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would agree with this.  For me GW2 is similar to that ad for Apple in the 80s with that person throwing the hammer.  I don't want to go back to the tradiitional hub based MMO anymore.   I have a lifetime sub to LOTRO and still love the LOTRO story, but I find it so hard to log in and play in that type of world now.   If you are on the fence just try the game this weekend.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

I saw this Angry Joe review - he gave GW2 10/10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

GW2 looks amazing.

But how does it compare to WoW?

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of people who have played GW2 for quite a while.

I really don't know why you want to compare Gw2 to a sub par game like wow.

Its far better, next time ask compare with a better game like aion or tera or Rift

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Angry Joe is great, and I agree almost in every review with him. But as a mmorpg veteran, for me its not a 10/10 score. 

Fist I disliked GW2 much, but it has also to do with my low spec PC. When I bought a new one, I enjoy GW2 , its fun and an amazing feeling beeing in a fight with 100 people PvP on max spec with very high fps.

In the end I would give it a 8/10. 

Wow is without a doubt 10/10, but it also ha its years and Im not willing to pay the subs, couse Im not a hardcore player anymore.

However, GW2 can still grow. The basics are good, just give us a little more progression (PvP Ranks pls).

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by mari3k

Angry Joe is great, and I agree almost in every review with him. But as a mmorpg veteran, for me its not a 10/10 score. 

Fist I disliked GW2 much, but it has also to do with my low spec PC. When I bought a new one, I enjoy GW2 , its fun and an amazing feeling beeing in a fight with 100 people PvP on max spec with very high fps.

In the end I would give it a 8/10. 

Wow is without a doubt 10/10, but it also ha its years and Im not willing to pay the subs, couse Im not a hardcore player anymore.

However, GW2 can still grow. The basics are good, just give us a little more progression (PvP Ranks pls).

Hmm... I wouldn't rate WoW that high due to it's lack of things to do at endgame. All you have is a little PvP or whatever the latest raid, that's it. All prior raids and dungeons have been obsoleted to the point they're mostly abandoned now. (Caveat... as of Lich King, haven't played since Cataclysm.)  In GW2 the entire game is viable still at endgame, you haven't been gated into a tiny bit of "elite" content (which will soon be obsolete and replaced with the next tiny bit). 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Ah, the bulleted points and the "Learn to Read" comment.  I knew I was going to be jumped on when I made a comment.  /sigh

1)  Not having to run back to anyone doesn't make it any less of a quest.

2)  One Heart will give variation of 2-3 options.  Every time you run an alt through there, its the same thing.  DE's in the area are the same for every alt as well.  I'm not sure what about that you are defending.  There is no point negation there, you just went on with your own point which..wasn't a point.

Oh, and why so aggressive and rude?  The people on this forum really make me /boggle sometimes.

Wait, after misinterpreting someone's post, I tell you the differences between the two games' questing systems, which is what you wanted to know in the first place, and you essentially repeat back to me exactly what I said and exactly how they're different.

I don't need to be aggressive.  In fact, I really don't need to say anything.

Still, I apologize if you felt I was being aggressive.  I just know they're different and apparently so do you.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Ah, the bulleted points and the "Learn to Read" comment.  I knew I was going to be jumped on when I made a comment.  /sigh

1)  Not having to run back to anyone doesn't make it any less of a quest.

2)  One Heart will give variation of 2-3 options.  Every time you run an alt through there, its the same thing.  DE's in the area are the same for every alt as well.  I'm not sure what about that you are defending.  There is no point negation there, you just went on with your own point which..wasn't a point.

Oh, and why so aggressive and rude?  The people on this forum really make me /boggle sometimes.

Even though hearts may seem like quests in theory, in reality it's different. In wow type quest you HAVE TO go to quest giver and accept a quest. You HAVE TO go and do whatever quest wants you to do and you HAVE TO deliver quest.

GW2 goes different way. You just pass by and you do stuff... If you choose so you can do heart specifically and then it will be almost the same as WoW quest (there actually are a few hearts where you HAVE TO do certain thing to fill them up and those feel extremely boring compared to other content). On the other hand you can simply run around area and do your thing and more often than not you can finish the heart without even realizing you're doing it.

This is main difference for me. In wow I was forced to do those quests and do exactly what quest wanted me to do. In GW2, I can simply do stuff and more often than not "quests" are done somehow naturaly along me doing my stuff. This actually goes for dynamic events and for hearts.

To put it differently. Let's say quest giver in WoW gives you a quest "kill 10 boars". Ok that's fine. But what if other quest giver gave you quest "bring me 10 boar tusks"? You most likely killed more than 10 boars while doing that quest. Why the heck do you need to go to quest giver for special permission to do his task? He wants 10 boars killed. It's been done. So what?

In GW2 however you just go to area and someone in that area wants 10 boars killed. So you go there and you kill stuff for loot or whatnot and in the meantime you kill 10 boars. And "quest giver" is happy, because his quest is finished.

Just a side note about alts... I'm altaholic... I have 8 characters on level 80. I also had about 5 characters on max level in WoW. Believe me leveling in GW2 and WoW is sooooo different. In WoW there is pretty much the only path you can take. Yeah there are some overlapping zones, but in a nutshell you're still running the same content. In GW2 I was not bored leveling my characters at all. For first zones are much richer in my opinion and tehre is a lot of hidden stuff around. Even those dynamic events... some do not run so very often and you can pass the zone a few times without catching that event chain. For second you can do a lot of stuff to level up. If you're bored with PvE zone leveling, you jump into WvW, fool around for a while and get a level or two so you can move forward and skip boring stuff. Or you can craft. Or you can leave exps from daily achievements to your noob characters. Or you can run event chain again and again and again if you so desire. Or....

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm looking forward to trying GW2 this weekend.

I get the impression GW2 has been designed for the casual player in mind (somebody like me).

The emphasis is on 'fun' rather than on 'grinding for the best gear'.

I think the endgame content of WoW is mostly grinding for hardcore players (willing to commit at least 2 hours solid, every few days or so).

It's a pity that SWTOR isn't more like GW2 with respect to freedom (to explore).