Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the series premire of the show is it going to bring in more players for the game?

13»

Comments

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by lordtwisted
    ~snip~

The numerous alien RACES came to live here from their PLANET where they lived together...just like numerous races live on our planet. 

They came here to find a new place to live due to the wars...guessing the Volge got out of control? 

The scavenger risked his life, his adopted daughters life, and the Ark fall loot in order to save the town of Defiance because he is a hero, as was already proven in the Pale Wars, when a person is truely noble, and truely a hero they will do that for other people, and typically they do not change that fact about themselves over the years unless something has jaded them. 

The world was not invaded by multiple races of aliens, some came to live here in peace, others followed them and brought the fight here. 

I am afraid your problem is not the show or the game, but more of a comprehension thing.

None of that was in the Pilot. I have a hard time comprehending this drivel because its ridiculous and makes no sense. Care to share your source on the whole background story?

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Show is a good time pass but i don't think it will make much difference to the game in terms of getting new players.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by taus01

None of that was in the Pilot. I have a hard time comprehending this drivel because its ridiculous and makes no sense. Care to share your source on the whole background story?

Most of the lore was in the game.

Basically all those alien races left their galaxy because their star went supernova. They find the closest inhabitable planet which is Earth.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

The numerous alien RACES came to live here from their PLANET where they lived together...just like numerous races live on our planet. 

They came here to find a new place to live due to the wars...guessing the Volge got out of control?

No.  It isn't.  In fact you're completely wrong.

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/

Some of the races were from the same planet but they mostly just teamed up with races that in some way could help them reach their goals.  There was a sun going to collide with one of their systems in their spiral section (Voltanis)

The Volge according to that were not invited to the party but were snuck onto the Arks anyways.  There's still another race that hasn't been seen yet (little glowy globes).

Just read the timeline and about the races and so much more makes sense.

Earth was the target because Jupiter has TONS of moons to terraform and at the time they thought Earth was empty since it had no signs of spaceflight.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I have heard a lot of Meh from the game which is why I decided to hold off. I want to see what Trion is planning on doing as far as updates / fixes are concerned before I drop $60 on the game.

Btw is this a p2p or b2p? and if its b2p i assume there is a cash shop.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The plot is ridiculous at best. A scavanger risking life and limb for years to get to Antarctica (i dunno why you would go there of all places, but they must like the cold). He finally hits the Jackpot and finds a multi million dollar piece of ArKtec, almost gets his adoptes "alien" doughter killed and decides to blow it up for a bunch of total strangers.

On the other hand the village full of idiots, that trust him so much after only a day that they make him sheriff, aka head of their security. I wonder how these idiots even survived that long in a post apocalyptic world invaded by multiple alien species. 

He's not just a scavenger. He's one of the Defiant Few, fighters on both sides of the war that ceased fighting over a city to save the people within it, ending the war and bringing about some semblance of peace on a wartorn planet. He's the guy that saved a child from a bad situation and made her his responsibility to raise as a good person, a topic that comes up when she takes the roller and leaves because he wants to sacrifice the orb to save the people of Defiance.

To quote Live Free or Die Hard,

"Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothin'. You get shot at. Pat on the back, blah blah blah. 'Attaboy.' You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy."

"Then why do you do it?"

"Because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it."

"That's what makes you that guy."

Not everyone gets the hero thing. Those that don't, understandably see his actions as ridiculous, taus01.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    I think it will bring in more causal players, but I don't know how long they will stay.

What's the problem? Game is B2P.  Trion need only to sell accounts and eventually DLCs. If a player buy the game and play one hour a month or play 24hours a day, well, it's the same.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    What were people expecting? Steven Spielberg special effects? It's a scifi show on television....I actually was impressed with the CG considering I went in expecting B rated CG that comes with every TV show..tera nova stargate Atlantis CG...annoys me when people complain when a SCIFI show can't recreate the bar scene in tatooine from Star Wars...pilot was good give the show a chance people
  • Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    havnt tried the game and im not sure if the season premier will make me try it. i think i will continue to watch the show but i wasnt hugely impressed with it. the story i think can turn out to be a good one but lord the acting hasnt impressed me at all. the plots are pretty predictable. i was actually impressed with some of the graphics tbh. the car chase..not so much.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    ~snip~

The scavenger risked his life, his adopted daughters life, and the Ark fall loot in order to save the town of Defiance because he is a hero, as was already proven in the Pale Wars, when a person is truely noble, and truely a hero they will do that for other people, and typically they do not change that fact about themselves over the years unless something has jaded them. 

The world was not invaded by multiple races of aliens, some came to live here in peace, others followed them and brought the fight here. 

I am afraid your problem is not the show or the game, but more of a comprehension thing.

~snip~ Care to share your source on the whole background story?

Source

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

I have heard a lot of Meh from the game which is why I decided to hold off. I want to see what Trion is planning on doing as far as updates / fixes are concerned before I drop $60 on the game.

B2P with a minor Cash shop but you can use in game currency to buy what is called lock boxes. Or you can use RL money. choice is up to you.

Also the cash shop is not a P2W cash shop.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

B2P with a minor Cash shop but you can use in game currency to buy what is called lock boxes. Or you can use RL money. choice is up to you.

Thanks for the response, I am going to wait a little while longer to see if it becomes worthwhile.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Pilot was pretty decent - lots of sci-fi cliches but overall not bad.

Will be interesting to see how the show develops over the year.

I keep trying to compare it to the 2 hour pilot episode from Firefly - and it's fairly comparable and that show went on to be truly amazing - if not at ALL popular lol.

I also tend to compare it to BSG - and the quality of the CG is similar.

Time will tell if it has the same grit and cultural appeal that BSG had - probably not though. I imagine it will be a bit "safer" of a show.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

the acting in some places was really sub par .

I felt the onus of the whole show was only on a selected few whearas the rest were b grade amateur actors at the best.

the show doesnt need to have fancy sci fi effects it needs to have story . character depth and progression the least.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The plot is ridiculous at best. A scavanger risking life and limb for years to get to Antarctica (i dunno why you would go there of all places, but they must like the cold). He finally hits the Jackpot and finds a multi million dollar piece of ArKtec, almost gets his adoptes "alien" doughter killed and decides to blow it up for a bunch of total strangers.

On the other hand the village full of idiots, that trust him so much after only a day that they make him sheriff, aka head of their security. I wonder how these idiots even survived that long in a post apocalyptic world invaded by multiple alien species. 

He's not just a scavenger. He's one of the Defiant Few, fighters on both sides of the war that ceased fighting over a city to save the people within it, ending the war and bringing about some semblance of peace on a wartorn planet. He's the guy that saved a child from a bad situation and made her his responsibility to raise as a good person, a topic that comes up when she takes the roller and leaves because he wants to sacrifice the orb to save the people of Defiance.

To quote Live Free or Die Hard,

"Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothin'. You get shot at. Pat on the back, blah blah blah. 'Attaboy.' You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy."

"Then why do you do it?"

"Because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it."

"That's what makes you that guy."

Not everyone gets the hero thing. Those that don't, understandably see his actions as ridiculous, taus01.

Oh i get the whole Wild Western plot line, it's still bad.

War hero comes to small town, sleeps with the town slut, get's into some arguments with a strong female lead, kills some bad guys, becomes the new sheriff, ends up dumping the whore and marrying the female lead. That is not Science fiction. This is the same old crap Hollywood is selling since it made the first John Wayne Western.

I find it extremely boring. It might be all 'new' to people that never seen a classic Western which is nobody's fault really.

PS: Yes, i am saying he is going to end up in a romantic relationship with the Town Mayor ( Julie Benz | Amanda Rosewater ) at the end of this season or as a cliffhanger just before season 2.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by bronzephishy
    What were people expecting? Steven Spielberg special effects? It's a scifi show on television....I actually was impressed with the CG considering I went in expecting B rated CG that comes with every TV show..tera nova stargate Atlantis CG...annoys me when people complain when a SCIFI show can't recreate the bar scene in tatooine from Star Wars...pilot was good give the show a chance people

Well Game of Thrones and Vikings was just fantasy/mythlogical show on TV too but somehow their world feels more immersive, and looks nothing like cheesy Spartacus and Camelot.

It's got to do with the delivery.

Most on TV scifi shows just seem to have bad deliveries.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

The aliens are as always humans with slight alterations like flat nose bridge, pale skin and colorful contact lenses. The "Commander Data" robot type race has especially bad makeup around the mouth and eyes.

To be fair, creating aliens like the ones in Star Wars or Prometheus would be a lot more expensive in both cosmetics and prosthetics department.

Also they are trying to create aliens that people that watch the show can relate to. People can't really relate to aliens that look like insects or is a brunch of crystals or a tree - they would just look too "alien".

Because human are bipeds it is much easier for audience to relate to aliens that is at least bipeds in some way.

I mean... when you watch District 9 do you feel related to the Prawns? Or when you watch Mortal Kombat do you feel related to the 6 armed Outworlders? You would just feel like they are beasts to you.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    best part of the show was the fight in the bar when the old man was going to shoot that guy accusing him of the murder