Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ST'RM!!!

tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

I gotta say I absolutely love this race.

Wow it is amazing.

The fact that they packed so much detail into this model with the ammount of polys they are using is, for lack of better words, pro. If you take any one of WoW's character models and sit it beside this one, the St'rm blows it out of the water, and its not even finished yet!

Some of you guys might not really realise what this means. Does anyone know how many polygons are in WoW's character models? I know its more than 12k.

Seeing the detail of this model alone shows me that whoever is doing the modeling for this game is very very talented.

I for one was not impressed at all with the other 2 models. The Viking and the TDD are just run of the mill humans. The St'rm however is off the charts awesome.

I was totally not expecting something this cool, not at all.

I really hope they will make more "new" races for the game. Its very cool to see something that hasn't been done before. I like vikings, dwarves, orcs, elves and all that stuff just as much as the next guy, but to see something totally new is a breath of fresh air.

Comments

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    She's really awesome : once again MJ's team know how to think outside the box, and bring fresh new ideas and concepts.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Not only "think outside the box", but be able to translate those ideas into game-bits within a pretty darn short timeframe.  Impressive.
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Finally!  Something other than Elf, Orc, Dwarf, etc.  Refreshing.

Nanulak

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    It's on some Realm, has to be one of the three.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by DMKano

Pretty sure it's not a Hib, Mid or Alb. 

My take it would fit well in Arthurian lore....

A cockatrice is a mythical beast, essentially a two-legged dragon with a rooster's head. "An ornament in the drama and poetry of the Elizabethans", Laurence Breiner described it. It featured prominently in English thought and myth for centuries.

The feathered hair, reptilian midsection, leathery wings and clawed feet could make for a good backstory.....

you have heard about the curly white haired boy...son of a sheep herder?

Daaaaaaady......

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    That race looks ridiculously awesome.
  • Not a fan of the name but I am digging the model.  I actually liked the concept art as well.  Some people have said they are waiting to see what it looks like with armor, but I think if it had natural armor the way it looks, it could be a fun mechanic.  Although as a crafter I would feel like I was losing out on potential customers :)
  • HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Medwynd
    Not a fan of the name but I am digging the model.  I actually liked the concept art as well.  Some people have said they are waiting to see what it looks like with armor, but I think if it had natural armor the way it looks, it could be a fun mechanic.  Although as a crafter I would feel like I was losing out on potential customers :)

MJ said, that much like "Camelot unchained", "St'rm" is a working title, not the final name.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

wow has like sub 1000-2000 poly per character. not even in the same league and really given that wow is like 10 years old...it shouldn't be...

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Originally posted by Hjamnr
    Not a fan of the name but I am digging the model.  I actually liked the concept art as well.  Some people have said they are waiting to see what it looks like with armor, but I think if it had natural armor the way it looks, it could be a fun mechanic.  Although as a crafter I would feel like I was losing out on potential customers :)

MJ said, that much like "Camelot unchained", "St'rm" is a working title, not the final name.

I know, just putting in my two cents.

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by skyexile

wow has like sub 1000-2000 poly per character. not even in the same league and really given that wow is like 10 years old...it shouldn't be...

I guess you're right, I figured they would be a lot more.

So I guess technically, with MJ and Andrew saying they're going to cut down the graphics for game play, we're still going to have better graphics than WoW.

Now I am even more happy lol

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by taurak
    Originally posted by skyexile wow has like sub 1000-2000 poly per character. not even in the same league and really given that wow is like 10 years old...it shouldn't be...
    I guess you're right, I figured they would be a lot more.

So I guess technically, with MJ and Andrew saying they're going to cut down the graphics for game play, we're still going to have better graphics than WoW.

Now I am even more happy lol

i think that means cut down the graphics compared to current engines eg: crysis 3 or unreal 4 that use 20k polygons per character :P Unreal 3 uses about 12k polygons, these ghraphics will be high end, but not so much "next gen" graphics.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

Cool, my own race. Thanks for the honour CSE!

ST'RM can´t be anything else than a race made as a thanks for STORM :D

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

I'm not sure how original a concept it is, many games have a similar lizard/dragon kin style races but the art and modelling for this race is pretty cool.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I think she looks badass, and I hope they continue to make the races look unique and not the typical Dwarf, Elf, Human, Cat we see in just about every mmo these days.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167
    Love this race. It came out really nice.

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

EQ2 had a lizard race. GW2 has Charr and Sylvari which are quite unique as far as races are concerned. 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

You guys want to promote this kickstarter ? Don't you ? Then do it the correct way and add a link. Really, most people nowadays don't have the patience to do this by themselves. ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/456223

Btw , the name is a bad choice. How are you supposed to pronounce this even ? Google says I want to search for stream when I enter St'rm.

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Anthur

You guys want to promote this kickstarter ? Don't you ? Then do it the correct way and add a link. Really, most people nowadays don't have the patience to do this by themselves. ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/456223

Btw , the name is a bad choice. How are you supposed to pronounce this even ? Google says I want to search for stream when I enter St'rm.

Thanks for the link, Anthur - I actually clicked on this thread wanting to take a look at the model for this race again.  VERY cool. :)

And I, too, am kind of glad they said this name is only a "working title" at the moment.  The pronunciation thing is pretty confusing, lol.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    MJ never pronounced it either. He just spelled it out. So uh, I guess its whatever direction you wanna go with it.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

Also, this might not even be a player race, this could just be an NPC, so it might never have armor.

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153

On one of the podcasts last night, they said that the wings were not vestigal...they had some sort of use.

NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT USE IS! 

Or just give me some wings. ;D

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Wow...the level of brainwashing

Seriously, thinking out of the box, super original...a lizard race? You telling me you never seen one in an RPG setting? :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by binskki

On one of the podcasts last night, they said that the wings were not vestigal...they had some sort of use.

NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT USE IS! 

Or just give me some wings. ;D

Interesting, if they can find a use for them other than flying, I'd be very intrigued. However, as someone pointed out on the kickstarter; anatomically the placement of the wings atm make absolutely no sense. As an artist myself I'd be very curious to see if someone's come up with an idea on this that I haven't thought of already.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

First of all, to those saying the race is not 100% unique, well, I suppose that is true to a point. They are lizard/dragon themed, and that has been done before (though not too much... less than feline races and such). However, what has not been done in some form that makes some sort of sense when one is bound to making the races somewhat humanoid? There is nothing really left. From an actual design view, they are quite unique. I have never seen a lizard/dragon themed race done like that at all, and it is quite cool.

Secondly, the name "st'rm" is horrible. First of all, few things boil my blood more than the use of apostrophes in fantasy names - it always seems forced, clunky, and pretentious. It also leads to a pronunciation nightmare.

Is it "storm," "sturm," "strim," or something else? I have heard the first three already.

So, to close my little rant, the name sucks, but the race itself is really cool and has a lot of potential. I was not initially sold on the wings being attached at the lower back, as that is an illogical place for wings to evolve due to the lack of proper musculature to flap them, but then I said to myself, "Well, it looks cool, is unique, and it is fantasy, so let it slide." And I did.

Oh, but the name, I am not letting that slide. ;)