Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Crafting Professions Shine in New Developer Blog

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios, Perfect World Entertainment and MMORPG.com have teamed up to bring our readers an exclusive new developer blog shining the spotlight on Neverwinter's crafting professions. Get the inside scoop on crafting and then head to the comments to tell us what you think!

Professions in Neverwinter are an excellent way to craft some of the best equipment and items in the game.  When Open Beta begins on April 30, you’ll be able to advance in the five professions of Leadership, Mailsmithing, Platesmithing, Leatherworking, and Tailoring, and start giving your character an extra edge in combat – or making a pretty gold penny on the auction house with your über sale items.  Leadership will help you to earn extra currency, items, experience, and more as you adventure, while the other professions will provide you with excellent gear choices as you level up.

Read more of our exclusive developer blog Neverwinter: Crafting Professions Shine in New Developer Blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

"you’ll be able to advance in the five professions of LeadershipMailsmithingPlatesmithingLeatherworking, and Tailoring, and start giving your character an extra edge in combat"

"Want your tasks to move more quickly?  No problem!  You can spend astral diamonds to speed up tasks".

Good to know you can buy these advantages.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by MarlonB

"you’ll be able to advance in the five professions of LeadershipMailsmithingPlatesmithingLeatherworking, and Tailoring, and start giving your character an extra edge in combat"

"Want your tasks to move more quickly?  No problem!  You can spend astral diamonds to speed up tasks".

The speeds-ups for crafting are very expensive. 9 minutes costs 'only' 617 astral diamonds, but I've also seen one of over 110K astral diamonds for a 4h craft, and that's only on level 2. I think most long crafting I do will go overnight for sure...

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Well it is F2P title. This was expected.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Ofcourse, but it still hurts me to see Neverwinter implement it ;o)

I'm all fine with F2P models ... as long as they do not empower the rich. If it turns out to be a 0.0001% difference, i'll look the other side.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Astral Diamonds are earned in game through daily quests, events, foundary usage and other things.  It is not currency you buy from Cryptic, but rather one of two forms of currency within the game that players trade amongst themselves.  It is ZEN that the cash shop uses, which is the third currency in game.  Astral Diamonds are the middle currency whereby a player that spends time doing their dailies and such will be able to use Astral Diamonds to trade with other players in the same way they would trade gold (though players that have excess zen could trade it to other players for the Astral Diamonds they unlocked).

Astral Diamonds (again, they're not the cash shop currency of Zen and require work to get) can be spent at shops/stores in game for specific items, just as there are shops that sell items for copper/silver/gold.

If this post was sarcastic and not a sincere nod (in that you're implying there is "P2W" involved, which would still be wrong), then please do your research before posting.  Granted, I don't expect perfect research (and I know even my own understanding of it is flawed), but even the most mundane of attempts to figure out how Astral Diamonds are earned would have yielded far better results than thoughts fabricated in one's own mind as fact.  :)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    yeah i think people are confusing zen with astral diamonds, and pretty much all f2p games have boosters, I see no issue with this.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Astral Diamonds are earned in game through daily quests, events, foundary usage and other things.  It is not currency you buy from Cryptic, but rather one of two forms of currency within the game that players trade amongst themselves.  It is ZEN that the cash shop uses, which is the third currency in game.  Astral Diamonds are the middle currency whereby a player that spends time doing their dailies and such will be able to use Astral Diamonds to trade with other players in the same way they would trade gold (though players that have excess zen could trade it to other players for the Astral Diamonds they unlocked).

Astral Diamonds (again, they're not the cash shop currency of Zen and require work to get) can be spent at shops/stores in game for specific items, just as there are shops that sell items for copper/silver/gold.

Then the question is can astral diamonds be bought with Zen? It sounds like GW2 where you buy gems for cash, if it's the same then you are effectively buying the speed up with cash, after converting it to AD's.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Nemorak
    yeah i think people are confusing zen with astral diamonds, and pretty much all f2p games have boosters, I see no issue with this.

It's almost the same thiing... ZEN is the cash shop currency. You can get ZEN by exchanging astral diamonds (400-500 during beta weekend as set by PWI) for ZEN. Good thing is that you can get astral diamonds though the game doing daiies (abount 5K per day max) and it's used in the acution house as currency.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Then the question is can astral diamonds be bought with Zen? It sounds like GW2 where you buy gems for cash, if it's the same then you are effectively buying the speed up with cash, after converting it to AD's.

This part is from my understanding, which I do not claim to be perfect.  But you are not able to buy Zen and then trade for Astral Diamonds or Gold directly from Cryptic (Though they do have set trading currencies; I'm not sure if that's for their own trade or to regulate trade among players).  You will however be able to trade for already existing AD's that players have grinded out.  That being, if you spent a month doing dailies and want something from the cash shop, you could trade your ADs to someone who has Zen, and then buy what you want from the Zen shop.

I do not think they simply create ADs (Maybe wrong on this, as I read different things from different testers and haven't touched the Zen store yet) out of nothing and then just trade it for any Zen you buy; it has to exist in the economy and had to be worked for by someone.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

If this post was sarcastic and not a sincere nod (in that you're implying there is "P2W" involved, which would still be wrong), then please do your research before posting.  Granted, I don't expect perfect research (and I know even my own understanding of it is flawed), but even the most mundane of attempts to figure out how Astral Diamonds are earned would have yielded far better results than thoughts fabricated in one's own mind as fact.  :)

I indeed only did  very mundane research. This is what I found:

From their Q&A:

Q: Which Founder's Pack items will I receive during Beta?

- 750,000 Astral Diamonds once per account

EDIT: Which could be trivial if prices are high.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Just so you guys know, you need astral diamonds for special shops and the auction house also. So, if someone is going to dump every bit of their diamonds into crafting then they will be hurting in other ways even if they are paying for it. I bought the guardian pack but I'm not going to dump all of my diamonds just to get to level 3 or 4 crafting faster then everyone else. 

If anything I say craft bots would be more of a concern due to the wait times. 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Hmmm not looking good (scratches head and moves Neverwinter to the bottom of the to do list)
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I would be very surprised if Craptic could actually produce a good crafting system.  The systems in their two previous games are generic and just about worthless when compared to loot.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm all fine with F2P models ... as long as they do not empower the rich. If it turns out to be a 0.0001% difference, i'll look the other side.

Why would it hurt you?  Are you trying to moralize an amoral situation?

What does "empower the rich" even mean?  The first two dictionary definitions of empower describe granting authority or confidence to a person.   First you make a crazy assumption that anyone using this is rich.  Next I'm not seeing where the grant of authority or confidence comes in here.

Guess what, the rich always have the advantage in any game.  Not only that but time is a currency as well and those rich with extra time will also have an advantage.

There is more to the system than clicking a button and then bypassing the timer.  You have to meet the requirements of the task, including the necessary resources.  Since players can use the Neverwinter Gateway to access their crafting from a browser they can progress while away from the game client which means those with extra time currency have their advantage minimized.  The system is pretty good in that those with extra time or money can get an advantage, but not excessively so.  It also offers a way for those lacking in time and money to put forth a little extra effort and still progress if they want.

I forgot how serious gamers can be about these topics, my bad :)

Anyways, maybe empower is not the right word, english is not my native tongue.

"those with extra time or money can get an advantage, but not excessively so."

Good to see you agree with me though.

Thanks for the insights.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Standard ingame activities.. slowed down to accomodate a cash shop option. You can get Astral Diamonds with Zen, therefore you can speed up crafting with Zen.

I don't care whether it's normal or not. It's wrong and all games should stop doing this.

If you arn't paying (or seriously grinding), you're not playing the game the way it was intended and the way it was balanced.

Speeding up something like crafting should be directly influenced by your crafting skill level, the tools you use or the materials you use... not your wallet or your time (grinding.. spend time to save time???).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

They implemented the SW:TOR crafting system... The most unengaging crafting to ever grace the MMO genre. What a bummer.

• DeiphysityDeiphysity Member Posts: 2

"Astral Diamonds (again, they're not the cash shop currency of Zen and require work to get)"

Umm..  you have to work for real money to spend on Zen.  Some people have to scrub dishes at a restaraunt for an hour just to get 7 dollars.  Is it not ok that that they spend that money on in game items if they wish?  Or would you rather them "work" in a video game, or  Isn't that kindof counter-productive to what a video game is supposed to be?

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Saving time has never been Pay to win. Pay to win means getting something not otherwise obtainable without paying for it. Time is not one of those things. Sure someone could pay to advance alittle quicker, maybe even alot quicker, but everyone else will get there eventually. It doesnt offer any real advantage, just the illusion of advantage. Once everyone is at level cap, and the "time" factor evens out, they would have wasted all that money on nothing. I for one am happy to allow them to do this, as they help fund the game while I sit back and play for free. 

Get your head out of your ass. Boosts like this are never pay to win. Time is convenience, its only pay to win when it starts effecting player power above whats normally obtainable in game. 

Originally posted by aslan132

Saving time has never been Pay to win. Pay to win means getting something not otherwise obtainable without paying for it. Time is not one of those things. Sure someone could pay to advance alittle quicker, maybe even alot quicker, but everyone else will get there eventually. It doesnt offer any real advantage, just the illusion of advantage. Once everyone is at level cap, and the "time" factor evens out, they would have wasted all that money on nothing. I for one am happy to allow them to do this, as they help fund the game while I sit back and play for free. 

Get your head out of your ass. Boosts like this are never pay to win. Time is convenience, its only pay to win when it starts effecting player power above whats normally obtainable in game. 

You do not frown upon people that pay sweatshops to level their toons for them?

Because basically, that is what happening. In this case cryptic.

Let me re-iterate though ... it will not keep me up at night.

Just very interested in the general opinions :)

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Why would it hurt you?  Are you trying to moralize an amoral situation?

What does "empower the rich" even mean?  The first two dictionary definitions of empower describe granting authority or confidence to a person.   First you make a crazy assumption that anyone using this is rich.  Next I'm not seeing where the grant of authority or confidence comes in here.

Guess what, the rich always have the advantage in any game.  Not only that but time is a currency as well and those rich with extra time will also have an advantage.

There is more to the system than clicking a button and then bypassing the timer.  You have to meet the requirements of the task, including the necessary resources.  Since players can use the Neverwinter Gateway to access their crafting from a browser they can progress while away from the game client which means those with extra time currency have their advantage minimized.  The system is pretty good in that those with extra time or money can get an advantage, but not excessively so.  It also offers a way for those lacking in time and money to put forth a little extra effort and still progress if they want.

I forgot how serious gamers can be about these topics, my bad :)

Anyways, maybe empower is not the right word, english is not my native tongue.

"those with extra time or money can get an advantage, but not excessively so."

Good to see you agree with me though.

Thanks for the insights.

But every MMO in existence has always given the guy with more time i.e. the basement dwelling, no job having twentysoemthing who spends 16-20 hours per day playing a game more advantage and that was perfectly fine in many eyes.  All F2P games is allow those with more money to substitute time for $$$.  Perfect complement if you ask me.

SUP

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

another p2w. nty once more

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Blasphemy, how can a website advise people to buy a $200 content pack for a free game?

The link on the bottom to the founders pack should be removed... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Manolios

Yes another p2w...where Astral Diamonds are earned ingame exclusively or could be trade for (Player to player trade) with zen, indeed, very pay 2 win.
    /sarcasm

• norsehealernorsehealer Member UncommonPosts: 2
    pay for convience, not pay to win.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Manolios

Yes another p2w...where Astral Diamonds are earned ingame exclusively or could be trade for (Player to player trade) with zen, indeed, very pay 2 win.
    /sarcasm

btw can you tell me how zen will get in to the game? some1 must pay to get them in i guess, or am i wrong?

/sarcasm off