Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planet Explorer / voxel based sandbox adventure RPG

LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95

Hey folks!

While i followed the KS campagin of "Camelot Unchained" i discoverd another KS project that hooked me! Evtl. you wanna take look and decide yourself ?

Link KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/planet-explorers?ref=search

Link Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxcaRhmHm18

What do you think about it ? I like the idea a lot!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Laeesh

Hey folks!

While i followed the KS campagin of "Camelot Unchained" i discoverd another KS project that hooked me! Evtl. you wanna take look and decide yourself ?

Link KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/planet-explorers?ref=search

Link Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxcaRhmHm18

What do you think about it ? I like the idea a lot!

There's an alpha version available. Download it and check it out.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95
    jeah i know, aleady downloaded it. =) Just wanna give the game a little attention and evtl. bring a game to people who evtl. like it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yeah I do agree this little gem needs attention.

I feel it's almost the purest form of a sandbox pc game you can get.

To be honost I have spend alittle time in the gameworld exploring but getting constantly killed. Now I am mostly in this building fibe, creating the most strange building, weapons, or simply goofing around in it's editor. I have no idea of their is any skill progression yet. And looking forward to multiplayer going live it might change allot of the attention for this game.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Yeah I do agree this little gem needs attention.

I feel it's almost the purest form of a sandbox pc game you can get.

To be honost I have spend alittle time in the gameworld exploring but getting constantly killed. Now I am mostly in this building fibe, creating the most strange building, weapons, or simply goofing around in it's editor. I have no idea of their is any skill progression yet. And looking forward to multiplayer going live it might change allot of the attention for this game.

Make sure when you are fighting you keep your mouse cursor on the mob. If you don't you won't hit it at all. They are fixing this in release a0.6 however. Also make sure you have plenty of health/stamina items on you and loaded on the quick bar. The red Herbal Drinks are great because if you drink one right when you engage a mob the regen rate almost nullifies the damage for most small mobs. Also follow the quests until you get the Bow scripts from the guy in the meteor crater. When you get the bow the whole game changes.

At present I'm using a M41 Pulse Rifle from the movie Aliens I created in the editor.

It will even bring down the big mobs. This game is about the coolest thing I've ever played. I'm fooling around with vehicle creation now so I'll have some wheels as well. This is one game that is well worth supporting through Kickstarter. Heck... I've already got a pretty complete game to play now and it'll only get a whole lot better from this point on. The $55 I pledged is money well spent as far as I'm concerned. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• yoloSwagginsyoloSwaggins Member Posts: 1
    jeah i know, aleady downloaded it. =) Just wanna give the game a little attention and evtl. bring a game to people who evtl. like it.

what is this 'evtl.' you speak of?  'eventually' ?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

While i am glad that the sandbox crew like this game... It looks like something done inside of Second Life... 

But hey what ever floats your boat... Looking forward to the point when it is big enough that companies will start enfocing their trademarks and copyrights... Then the gnhasing of teeth will start.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

While i am glad that the sandbox crew like this game... It looks like something done inside of Second Life... 

But hey what ever floats your boat... Looking forward to the point when it is big enough that companies will start enfocing their trademarks and copyrights... Then the gnhasing of teeth will start.

Pathea is violating absolutely no trademarks. They are just providing pixels. They have absolutely no control over how players arrange those pixels. Like in my case it would be different if they provided me with prefab pieces that could be put together to create that rifle. They didn't I created it one pixel at a time. A company suing Pathea for trademark infringement would be like that same company suing Adobe because someone used Photoshop to draw a picture of a M41 Pulse Rifle.

Oh and if you think it looks like second life you obviously haven't looked at it very close. I personally think it looks pretty damn good for a game still in Alpha. Besides I'd much rather have a game that didn't have stellar graphics if it offers unlimited gameplay possibilities. This is something a game with photorealistic graphics simply couldn't do.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

Pathea is violating absolutely no trademarks. They are just providing pixels. They have absolutely no control over how players arrange those pixels. Like in my case it would be different if they provided me with prefab pieces that could be put together to create that rifle. They didn't I created it one pixel at a time. A company suing Pathea for trademark infringement would be like that same company suing Adobe because someone used Photoshop to draw a picture of a M41 Pulse Rifle.

Oh and if you think it looks like second life you obviously haven't looked at it very close. I personally think it looks pretty damn good for a game still in Alpha. Besides I'd much rather have a game that didn't have stellar graphics if it offers unlimited gameplay possibilities. This is something a game with photorealistic graphics simply couldn't do.

Bren

Then they need to keep banning the people that do... ergo the gnashing of theeth. It does not matter if they do it them self or let people do it in their game... As long as they make money of it it will be an issue. Speaking form experience from several games with open editing.  Because the "little guy" can not afford the legal costs and will be forced in to a agreement or be buried in a shitton of fees.

I am sure the looks will improve, but freedom equals limitations. Something will have to give.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Bren

Then they need to keep banning the people that do... ergo the gnashing of theeth. It does not matter if they do it them self or let people do it in their game... As long as they make money of it it will be an issue. Speaking form experience from several games with open editing.  Because the "little guy" can not afford the legal costs and will be forced in to a agreement or be buried in a shitton of fees.

I am sure the looks will improve, but freedom equals limitations. Something will have to give.

Marvel tried to sue NCSoft over City of Heroes and the judge threw it out. You should see my version of Helm's Deep I built in minecraft and my somewhat poor Death Star I built in Terraria. I have yet to be banned since there is no such law or rule in any game, Planet Explorer included, that prevents this. Pathea is not making money off of someone remaking copyright material, they're making money from people buying the game. This is a complete nonissue and nothing will come of it since no copyright has been infringed and no law broken. Freedom equals Freedom and nothing will have to give.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by yoloSwaggins

Yes, apparently hitting those extra keys to make complete words would take too much time, keeping poster away from his cancer research or something equally important.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Krashner

Bren

Marvel tried to sue NCSoft over City of Heroes and the judge threw it out. You should see my version of Helm's Deep I built in minecraft and my somewhat poor Death Star I built in Terraria. I have yet to be banned since there is no such law or rule in any game, Planet Explorer included, that prevents this. Pathea is not making money off of someone remaking copyright material, they're making money from people buying the game. This is a complete nonissue and nothing will come of it since no copyright has been infringed and no law broken. Freedom equals Freedom and nothing will have to give.

Have you seen Starbound?  Worth a look if you liked Terraria .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5mt1pMuaI

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Have you seen Starbound?  Worth a look if you liked Terraria .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5mt1pMuaI

Oh yea, I'm watching that game like a hawk. Not to mention Cube World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729VkxC4Z6E

Bren

Yeah... What he said... lolimage

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Name is kinda dumb but the game looks promising. I like the idea.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Your username makes thoughtful people lose hope in humanity.

On a topic related note, it is a very interesting project.  The fact that they have a completely free alpha test game version available to play and try while on kickstarter is especially nice.  Much easier to see where the game is going and how it plays when  you can play it, rather than asking people to send you money because you made a game a decade ago and your new one shares a word in common.

The next update for Alpha 0.6 slated for mid-May includes adding base modules to the editor, as well as multiplayer, adventure mode, additional story progress, and meaningful item decay and maintenance - including increasing performance by enhancing weapons with additonal materials after they have been crafted.

Bren

Funny thing you bring up Marvel vs NCSoft/CoH seeing as i was very much a part of the community when this happend and had was able to follow this up close. It is funny BECASUE IT IS NOT IN ANY WAY THE SAME THING AS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. What Marvel did was a legal move to explore the edge of trademark law. What i am talking about is copyright infringement.... Not really the same thing.

But to use the Marvel/CoH thing as an example.. Do you know what the outcome of that fight was..? That it was a offense (that if repeated would lead to a ban) to use the character generator to try and recreate any existing IP character in City of Heroes since not moderating such a thing would give Marvel grounds for a new suite... So tell me mr Harvard law degree... If they could do that to a game that did not give the players the tools to create exact clones.. what would they do to a game that give the players just that.

It is not about if they win... it is about forcing the opposition to their knee with legal fees and getting you will that way.

• squidincsquidinc Member Posts: 25

no one is going to do anything against this game, you start with nothing in the editor.. just like every other CAD program that people use to churn out designs based on copyrighted material

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Does Planet Explorers have open PVP?
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

Thankfully, so far, no.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by snapfusion

Yes, apparently hitting those extra keys to make complete words would take too much time, keeping poster away from his cancer research or something equally important.

haha jeah that´s the exact reason =D, nah just kidding instead i´ll invent the t-virus. I think it´ll help mother earth much more then any cure imagineable =)

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

Thankfully, so far, no.

It will have limited multiplayer 'Vs." mode eventually. I think the devs are planing 4 vs 4 tower defence type matches along with lots of other modes as well. It will have both Coop and Vs. multiplayer when the game gets a little further along.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

image Seems like a nice place for me new house...

image First let me put down the foundation....

image Changing from stone to wood for the second floor and walls...

image Walls should have windows....sort of

image Some fire to give it a nice atmosphere.

All took about 20 minutes

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Good to see they got the funding they wanted I cant wait to get my hands on a multiplayer version of this :)

I'm playing Story Mode, so I started building mine in the Giant Tree.

hmm you could probably give the alpha a try and then finally decide which tier to pledge =) ! I´m havin a great time with a friend skyping and talking about the "game" (alpha status) while playing it separately.