Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying and Selling items in CU.

tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

I noticed that a lot of people are worried over not having an auction house in CU.

MJ has said that people will sell items in a Bazaar type setting.

For those of you who don't know what the Bazaar is, it was a thing from everquest 1. How it worked was, there was a zone where players go to, and stand in a merchant stall.

Once they turned on the "merchant mode" anyone else could open a bazaar window and search for say 2 handed swords, just like in an auction house. When you found the particular item you liked and wanted to buy it, there was a utility that would direct you to the player that was selling the item, and then you bought it from the player directly, you didn't have to talk to them or wait for them to come back from "afk".

I'm sure there will also be a trade channel for people to sell items in if they wish. Also in one of the founding principles, MJ hinted at an in game mail system.

In a nutshell, the Bazaar isn't that much different than an auction house, except that you can actually see the person you're buying an item from. That way you'll get to know, hey "Grimshade" is an awesome crafter, maybe I can IM him later and get him to make my custom armor suit.

Its really not that much of an inconvenience to walk up to the player selling them item, instead of just walking to a mailbox.

To me this is a great addition. I like knowing who I buy from. I like to know the guy I buy my items from isnt just some gold farmer or cheater, who only plays the game to create a monopoly on the auction house just to sell gold to some company.

In the old days, the golden days of the mmorpg, this was the standard. You actually knew other players from other guilds on your server. If you acted like a moron, or a griefer, nobody wanted to play with you or buy your stuff.

Games like WoW should not be called MMORPG's, they should be called MMOSRPG's. Massively Multiplayer Online Solo Role Playing Game. Because you don't interact with anyone on your server, outside of your guild, unless its just acting dumb on the trade channel.

Comments

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

Age of Wushu uses a similar mechanic, with the option of automatically opening your stall for up to 4 hours when you go offline. 

I suppose market stalls would work... but I want to have the option to do the whole 'brick and mortar' thing.  With employees/apprentices that operate similar to SWG's always online vendor NPC's... for those times when you just HAVE to have a new axe.  At 3am.

• BeidricBeidric Member Posts: 2
    I'm really interested to see if a some players in the game evolve into pure merchants in the proposed economic system.   There will certainly be crafters and buyers that don't want to get involved in the minutia of the economy and a merchant could fulfill that middleman role.  Buy from the crafters, sell at a slight markup.  If you as a combat class want to take the time to track down crafterts yourself you might get a deal.  If you want to take the easy route and hit up the merchant player then you pay for your convenience.  A merchant PC could also act as sort of a guide to who the good crafters are.  Find your favorite merchant and ask them who the best crafter is at making X; if they're in a good mood you might get the info for freeor maybe they'll charge you a finders fee.  It could open up a lot of cool possibilities.
  • ArtkilArtkil Member UncommonPosts: 20
    All I can say is UO Vendor styles!!! 

Please nerf paper
    Scissors are fine
    Signed rock...

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Lazy convenience systems like the AH, dungeon finders, insta travel, solo questing, instanced story lines...

They all destory the essence of what makes an MMO great, having to rely on others..   keep up the good work CU

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153
    I was very interested in his mention of  "player shops,"  and in the idea that crafters might be able to really personalize their work.  Imagine getting well known in the marketplace area for the excellent  (and completely distinctive) design of the armor/weapons/bits of siege equipment in your own shop.   that's actually really cool. :)
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by grimjakk

Age of Wushu uses a similar mechanic, with the option of automatically opening your stall for up to 4 hours when you go offline. 

I suppose market stalls would work... but I want to have the option to do the whole 'brick and mortar' thing.  With employees/apprentices that operate similar to SWG's always online vendor NPC's... for those times when you just HAVE to have a new axe.  At 3am.

LOL. Old school.:)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment