Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What in Yoda´s name did Bioware screw up THIS time?

Comments

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by FromHell

Cool, REALLY COOL, SO MUCH FUN! Guess I can delete my lvl 34 smuggler now and de-install.

Nah, just go in naked like everyone else lol.

At least it makes WZs more balanced than they ever were. And balance is still out of whack despite that ;P

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277
    I can't actually imagine a way that this new bolster system could be more screwed up. There isn't just one thing wrong with it. Even after they fix a bunch of things tonight, I am pretty sure that bolstered endgame pve gear will still be better than the best pvp gear outside of world pvp as some are saying it is now.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

2.0.0b Patch Notes

PvP

Note: For more details about these changes, please visit this post.

• The effect of Bolster on empty item slots has been decreased.
    • Due to itemization changes, Expertise has been removed from all War Hero and Elite War Hero pieces except for weapon crystals.

Naked Bolster

• The main change being made to Bolster is how it treats item slots with no items in them aka the naked bolster. If there is a slot without an item in it, that slot will only be bolstered a portion of what placing an appropriate item in the slot would. This will remove the naked bolster situation. Being Naked in a PvP area will now be much worse the further you go up the PvP progression.
    • In addition to these changes we fixed many underlying bugs in the Bolster system and tweaked some numbers to make Bolster give a little less stats than it does currently. We also corrected an issue where relic slots were being treated in our system as expected to give out more Main Stats than they were. This caused relic slots to be overly valued in adding to your DPS stats when mostly they add Endurance and a Proc. All of these changes should pretty much squash out Naked Bolster as being undeniably better than any set of gear. There might be cases where Naked is ever so slightly worse but that is usually a case of the equipped gear being not so great for PvP. If you see players in PvP playing Naked from now on you should expect them to be underperforming stat wise and over performing cojones wise.
    Elite War Hero
    • War Hero and Elite War Hero (referred to as WH and EWH from here on out) gear is now better! It is no longer worse than Naked Bolster. The reasons why WH/EWH had less stats and were worse than old Bolster is because it is ‘old’ gear and this ‘old’ gear used a different stat budget where it got its stats from. This ‘old’ stat budget (which isn’t used in 2.0) accounts for Expertise into the budget (Partisan and Conqueror do not) meaning they were lower in Main, Secondary and Tertiary stats to account for the Expertise the items had. This will be removed and the stat budget the Expertise was taking be refactored into the Main, Secondary and Tertiary stats. The net result is WH/EWH will have no Expertise and increased stats, but Partisan will still be better than it. The ranking you will see in effectiveness is WH < EWH < Partisan < Conqueror.
    • However, we have an issue with this conversion, the Expertise crystal in the WH/EWH weapons. Because this crystal is used in Partisan and Conquer and the system is unable to edit based on condition which item the crystal in the WH and EWH weapons still have Expertise. It is recommended that you replace this Expertise crystal with PvE crystals. We apologize that we weren’t able to fully take all the Expertise off the WH/EWH and that some players will lose customization, which is very important to us and to you.
    • Older PvP Gear (Battlemaster, Champion, Centurion, Recruit, and Recruit Mk2) did not receive this free upgrade conversion. At this point in the SW:TOR item progression, these items are simply out of date with the current power level and are not recommended for use.
    • There is a very important note in regards to how the bolster system handles mixing expertise and non-expertise mods on a single item: The short answer is, you shouldn’t do it. The longer answer is, players are much better off than when they decide to make an item a PvP-focused item, they replace all of the mods inside it with expertise mods. The bolster system handles “PvP” items slightly differently than “PvE” items, and putting even a single expertise mod inside an item tells the bolster that the item is a “PvP” item. The result of this situation can be less than ideal for a player in either content channel, and certainly isn’t working as well as we intended. We continue to discuss fixes to this particular issue, but players can work around the problem by making sure they are either pure PvE items or pure PvP items. Note: This is only with mods on a per item basis, mixing different items on a full character is fine.
    Gear vs. Skill
    • Pre-2.0 PvP was all about your items. Being ‘the best’ meant you had EWH with augments and no one could touch you. This situation was unfortunate because it made the PvP game too harsh on the ‘have nots’ and made the grind to EWH much more bitter because of getting your face pushed in the mud day after day. The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players. In 2.0 we don’t want to totally get rid of PvP gear progression, we still want a gear gap but we want to tone down how overpowered the top tier gear is versus the lower PvP gear so that the moment to moment gameplay is more enjoyable. We want everyone you group with to be contributors from a gear standpoint (them not responding to “inc grass 3” calls or not throwing you the Huttball when they are immobilized is something we can’t help :P). We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable. It is a balance act, sometimes it will slide too far on one side or the other and we will correct it but this methodology, the balance between skill vs. gear, will result in the most healthy PvP game and community possible for the long term.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

2.0.0b Patch Notes

PvP

Note: For more details about these changes, please visit this post.

• The effect of Bolster on empty item slots has been decreased.
    • Due to itemization changes, Expertise has been removed from all War Hero and Elite War Hero pieces except for weapon crystals.

Best news ever. It was a stupid stat to begin with and now we'll see who the real players are. Naturally some  PVP Gods are crying all over the forums over the loss of their "I Win" stat. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

They knew it was bugged before they launched 2.0 , admitted it , and launched it anyway.

Typical for this trainwreck.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

EVENING NEWSFLASH!

"GEAR GRIND GAME REMOVES REASON TO GRIND GEAR!"

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

They knew it was bugged before they launched 2.0 , admitted it , and launched it anyway.

shipwreck,,TORtanic, remember?

but it shows how much they care about customers,,and the star wars IP

Originally posted by simplius

it's fixed... and no MMO comes with bugs right?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

They admitted they knew it was there , that it broke warzones essentially , but didnt warn anyone when they launched 2.0 , they waited until people screamed about it , then said , "yes we knew about it , couldnt fix it though".

Why would you white knight any company acting like that's acceptable ?

They admitted they knew it was there , that it broke warzones essentially , but didnt warn anyone when they launched 2.0 , they waited until people screamed about it , then said , "yes we knew about it , couldnt fix it though".

Because I am reasonable.. I am not going to scream and tear my hair out because of minor bug... which obviously would be fixed. If you think that because of this game is not playable and not enjoyable you are wrong.

Sure, would be nice to have everything perfect... but that's not how it's working. Life is not perfect and MMOs are not perfect... not one.

And honestly? If I would have an option to delay Makeb so it can be fixed before launch I would say NOOOOO!!! image

Because I am reasonable.. I am not going to scream and tear my hair out because of minor bug... which obviously would be fixed. If you think that because of this game is not playable and not enjoyable you are wrong.

Sure, would be nice to have everything perfect... but that's not how it's working. Life is not perfect and MMOs are not perfect... not one.

And honestly? If I would have an option to delay Makeb so it can be fixed before launch I would say NOOOOO!!! image

Would you buy a car if they knew the on-board dash would not function correctly randombly and they planned on fixing it in a few months ?

Would you buy a house if only a small portion of the roof leaked , knowingly left that way by the builder ?

Why is it resonable for you to white knight everything Bioware does ? Why can they do no wrong by you ?

It genuninely seems like they could burn down your house and you'd smile , make a "lol" remark , and say they did a good job of it.

I guess some people just settle in life.

Would you buy a car if they knew the on-board dash would not function correctly randombly and they planned on fixing it in a few months ?

Bug was fixed... and car is costing more then 14 bucks. If defect was minor, I might actually not care if everything elso was great..

Would you buy a house if only a small portion of the roof leaked , knowingly left that way by the builder ?

Maybe I would, it I really liked the house or the area where house was located, knowing that the seller will fix it some day :)

Why is it resonable for you to white knight everything Bioware does ? Why can they do no wrong by you ?

Because I genuinly love the game and all other BioWare games... best of all I've ever played.

It genuninely seems like they could burn down your house and you'd smile , make a "lol" remark , and say they did a good job of it.

Yeah... sure video game has the same weight as house and car

I guess some people just settle in life.

I just prefer to have fun than complain anf throw fits:)

LOL, how you can compare these things? Damaged car and Leaking roof of the house comparing to insignificant bug? Could you PvP? Yes you could. Was it unplayable? Nope. Also for what I see it was a hilarious fun for those who like to run naked.

Did the PvP bug affected me in any way? Nope. Why would I even PvP if there is a new story to go through any many things to do?

sure,,but explain ,how i could play 3 days of scarlet blade, without seeing one?

not a single DC or game freeze, like swtor does

yea, that discount boob simulator has a better client, than swtor

and if it was my network , or my rig,,then it would be for all mmos,,not only swtor

GW2 doesnt have those problems either

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Even with the recent patch to fix the Naked Bolster the new pvp system is sitll craptastic.

People in pve gear get better stats in warzones then people in full pvp gear.  Removing augments in warzones boosts your stats through the roof.  The sorting system keeps making full teams of 50+'s and which = roflstomp for the poor left over group.  And the TTK is so damn fast entire groups get wiped out by aoe's in seconds.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

scarlet blade even has a PVP map with 80vs 80 players

how many PVPers can BW fit into a map now? half of that?

still far away from the promised huge battles in ilum

Now if only they can entice that many to come play the game. 

Originally posted by ktanner3

Now if only they can entice that many to come play the game. 

its actually working as a time sink

the last two times i couldnt get in , because there were higher ranked players, than me

and, despite, the game max at level 29, theres only content for about 21 levels

i havent even logged in today

i still dont regret the time and 20 bucks i spent, it was fun

after downloading a FREE client of whopping 1.9 gigs, i adjusted my expectations to that

and theyre not blocking a huge  IP with this one,,big difference

and with  3 servers, they need only around 500 players worldwide to fill those zones,,that shouldnt be an issue

i bet BW staff spend more money on their lunch, than aeria put in this game

so the profitability should be fine too

do you remember the crispy performance of the 35 GIG pre launch client?

max level was at 20 , but still the client was almost twice as big , as the one at launch

and we could choose voices on our first characters too

then launch day,,BAM,,the client is reduced to 21 gigs, and performance drops

sure,,but explain ,how i could play 3 days of scarlet blade, without seeing one?

not a single DC or game freeze, like swtor does

yea, that discount boob simulator has a better client, than swtor

and if it was my network , or my rig,,then it would be for all mmos,,not only swtor

GW2 doesnt have those problems either

Hmmm even if you would pay me $1000 I would not touch Scarlet Blade:) I don't care how smooth it is....

And you know what? I play SWTOR every day and have a very smooth play with 60 to 110 fps all the time:) no game freezes, no lags.

And comment from Aeria forums: http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1961519 posted yesterday:)

Sure that you don't know there are bugs... you can't find any info about it....

Quote:

<div id="titleToggle" show="" "="" cellspacing="0">

Bug tracker???

Where is Bug Tracker for Scarlet Blade?? shouldn't it be on some visible place ???
    I've already recorded a bunch of bugs/glitches/some unfinished crap. Where to report it >?!
    What were closed beta testers doing? Game now in state on Beta & there is not "Report Bug" button ingame. ... but there is already active AP store.
    This is NOT serious.

Scarlet Blade answer:

It may take time for bugs to get fixed if they are not major. It all depends on LivePlex and the current priorities for the game. The form is still the correct way to report bugs and we appreciate those that help out and report the bugs they find. ^-^

Hmmm even if you would pay me $1000 I would not touch Scarlet Blade:) I don't care how smooth it is....

And you know what? I play SWTOR every day and have a very smooth play with 60 to 110 fps all the time:) no game freezes, no lags.

And comment from Aeria forums: http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1961519 posted yesterday:)

Sure that you don't know there are bugs... you can't find any info about it....

Quote:

<div id="titleToggle" show="" "="" cellspacing="0">

Bug tracker???

Where is Bug Tracker for Scarlet Blade?? shouldn't it be on some visible place ???
    I've already recorded a bunch of bugs/glitches/some unfinished crap. Where to report it >?!
    What were closed beta testers doing? Game now in state on Beta & there is not "Report Bug" button ingame. ... but there is already active AP store.
    This is NOT serious.

I've never had a freeze or crash in the year and a half I've played TOR. Far as Scarlett Blade goes if I want to see boobs there are plenty of sites for that sort of thing. But thanks for the promotional plug. 

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Bug was fixed...

Did the PvP bug affected me in any way? Nope. Why would I even PvP if there is a new story to go through any many things to do?

First off, clearly it does affect you, or at least your need to champion this game.  Otherwise why are you posting in a thread about a bug/horrible game design that is specifically only in pvp when you don't even play that part of the game?

And second, it's not fixed.  All they did is make it so it's not plainly obvious how badly designed pvp is in this game to even people just watching a youtube video of it.  The bolster system still gives better stats than you can get via some elements pvp gear.  And apparently always still gives the expertise stat ON TOP of whatever pve stats your gear may have.

It doesn't balance gear out of the equation, it just makes optimizing gear a mess.  Use pve gear with bolster?  Use tier pvp gear with empty slots for bolster?  Use completely empty shells with bolster?  Optimal is probably a mix and match of all of the above, and that is a nightmare for both the designers and the players.  It's overly complicated and puts too much pressure on competitive pvpers to do pve and/or removes a chunk of the incentive to pvp in the first place.

The removal of expertise from WH/EWH gear opens up a real possibilty they'll scrap the bolster changes though, that grandfathered pvp gear was the only hiccup to doing that easily.  So who knows, maybe instead of wrestling with the horrible new design for months they'll soon go back to the lackluster old design.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Why do you continue to play a game that you absolutely hate?

Why do we continue to read this site?

Trainwrecks are fascinating to humans.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

<<

After some investigation, it appears that this is true, but it is not intended. Although we always want to keep the PvP environment competitive even for players not wearing full PvP sets, Partisan and Conqueror should be performing better in Warzones than their PvE counterparts. We will be deploying a fix for this in 2.0.1 which will be coming out on Tuesday.

I hope that alleviates some of your concerns with the issue of PvE v PvP gearing and thank you all for your feedback.

-eric

>>

I called it.  At least they're owning the issue, addressing it quickly and trying to fix it which is more than I can say for them about some of their previous efforts with pvp changes.  But still, this update has cost them most of their remaining credibility points with me.  For the first time in over a year I'm looking seriously at other games.  I've backed up SWTOR in the past but there are just too many ill-conceived and sloppy executions - it's like they are trying to get rid of pvpers...

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Seriously, what's all the PVPer complaining about? 2.0 has brought about a Combat Upgrade which will bring PVPers a New Game Experience.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

The above was a cheap shot, but was meant to be tounge in cheek.

To be honest though, the biggest change the expansion brings is the chang ein PVP with 2.0

Makeb is a nice addition of content (whether or not a planned on content addition should be altered to paid DLC is another argument.) But it is pretty much more of the same. (Even saying that its fundamentally different because it marks the end of class specific quests is sort of hollow, because they have nevered added class-specific quests since launch.)

There is a new level cap, but only 1 new talent, which isn't even at the top of the talent tree; so no real biggie.

On the other hand the changes in PVP are quite significant.

Bolster was previewed as a means to make beginers to the Warzones more competative.

Seemed reasonable, the PVP developers are after all from Mythic, and WAR had a decent bolster system.

In WAR, bolster did just as it name implies, it bolstered a charcter's primary stats to make them more competative.

That said, in WAR, this was for much larger ORvR areas and generally larger PVP scenarios, not small warxones.

Also WAR's bolster system was only part of a players stat total. There was also Reknown levels, and the ubiquitos MMORPG gear min/maxing (in combination with crafting).

Bolster bolstered a player, but didn't make him equal.

Back to SWTOR:

The preview of bolster on the PTS was borked and reported as such, but then again, the reports assumed the goal was a bolster, not equalozation.

When 2.0 came out, the goal of bolster had changed from making players competative of each other, to downright equalization. That's a big sea change,

Just as on the PTS, the bolster system was borked, giving birth to the naked PVP bolster.

Bioware (Mythic) has been striving to fix this. (At heart SWTOR is a game about itemization, so running naked simply won't do.)

Still though, the goal is equalization, not competativeness.

Understandably, ToR's PVP community is a bit peeved that their gear grind has been "poof" made useless.

To add insult to injury, PVE gear is now superior to PVP gear, both at 50 and 55.

Level 55 PVP still has the bolster.

Bioware has said they will strive to rebalance it so everyone is equal again.

Again, equal.

There is an easy way to make everyone equal, but that would involve removing gear stats alltogther. (Bad for a geat based game though.)

The question is why make everyone equal?

Is it to encourage PVE players to get into warzones? (Jeff Hickman said the next few updates will be quality of life improvements. If a few is at least 3, and updates take 8 weeks, that's 6 months of no new substatial content.)

Or is it to sell PVP boosters in the cartel shop to an ohterwise equal PVP playerbase?

I don't know. The motives are mysterious with all the failures they have had in the bolster's short life thus far.

On an anthropolgcal standpoint, it is intresting to see the SWTOR forums identify another displeased minority faction within the SWTOR community and bash them mercilessly on the forums telloing them to leave, they won't be missed. (Same as they did with hardcore raiders, people looking for new content, proponents of Opvp, people who didn't want to roll alts, crafters, role players, etc, etc.)

OVer and over: PVP is based on skill now (via a convulted, archaic, over comlex bolster system) rather then gear. (then why have gear at all?)

My guess is Bioware does have metric data on hand that has made it worth their while to gamble losing their PVPers for potential profit with their PVEers somehow. (OR that the overlap makes PVP only people a small population size.)

Again, time will tell if the gamble is worthwhile.

That said, the bolster isn't a bolster, it's an attempt at equaliztion, and it is (as admitted by Bioware) very much broken.