Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of the "Story MMO" Fad yet? [poll]

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

How many people like me are just sick and tired of the "Story driven" MMo.. 

What do you like?

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Annoying, I ment to add more options but I hit enter on accident and you cant edit the Poll..

wtf...

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Ultima Online, Asherons Call, Lineage...sandbox games with unintrusive stories which not only shows that story MMOs are not fads since they have been around since the very start but also that story does not = themepark...only if it drives the game.
  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Without a story, for me, there is no game.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Only Story...  I hate grinding and sandbox is too much like RL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i like there to be a main story line.   they are supposed to be RPG's afterall.   some companies just present the story better than others.   i liked how World of Warcraft usually had a main story line in each zone and an overall story line that spanned the game.   i don't like how some games seemingly force you into the story.  (swtor).  a story should exists but it should be something i can follow at my leisure not something that i must follow to progress.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by WellzyC

How many people like me are just sick and tired of the "Story driven" MMo.. 

What do you like?

Well, you dropped the RPG from MMORPG so either you don't think of MMORPGs as RPGs or you were referring just to MMOs that are not RPGS.  I am playing MMORPGS and like story/lore.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Honestly a mix of the other two options , old school grind and sandbox.

No need to separate them.

Regardless , I don't play mmo's to be put in a separate cutscene to show what a special flower I am in my own private instance , its the worst trend to me in mmo's , the "storybook/cutscene/private instance mode"

UO / EQ / DAOC and so on didn't need any such thing , and there are still no games that come close to how much I enjoyed them.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Without story nothing makes sense. I feel confused when things don't make sense.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Honestly a mix of the other two options , old school grind and sandbox.

No need to separate them.

Regardless , I don't play mmo's to be put in a separate cutscene to show what a special flower I am in my own private instance , its the worst trend to me in mmo's , the "storybook/cutscene/private instance mode"

UO / EQ / DAOC and so on didn't need any such thing , and there are still no games that come close to how much I enjoyed them.

you can have a story without cutscenes.  you can have cutscenes without a story. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I really enjoyed the story part of TOR. I don't mind quest/grind mmos but I avoid sandbox mmos. Not because I hate them but I don't want to spend my whole life inside an mmo and sandbox is way too much like real life...only it's not.

So no I'm not sick of good story based mmos. I am sick of lame ones that seem to be written by some producers 5 year old.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think it's great to have stories within the world, just let me find them without being led by the nose. A little exploration would go a long way. Oh, maybe I should head to that coast town since I've never bee there before.

When I feel like cattle it's boring.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Without story / context...you just have a world full of genocidal maniacs running around killing things...
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I'll pass on the story driven MMO.. If I wanted to experience a story, I would read a book and save a ton of money..
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Fads don't last a year, much less 14 years
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I play games because of the story. And how can a 7 year ongoing success be a 'fad'?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    How about emergant gameplay leading to players making their own stories.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    god yes
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

"This story thing is just a fad."

They said it at Beowulf's first telling.

They said it outside Shakespeare's theater.

They said it about radio dramas.   And they were right!

They said it about early TV shows, and feature-length movies.

Now they're saying it about story-driven MMOs.

It's been thousands of years and they haven't been right yet.  (Well, okay, the radio drama thing, but still..)

As long as their are entertainment mediums, stories will be told through them.  MMOs happen to be one such medium.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I prefer story and nicely designed too.
    I like to be a part of scenario rather than just log in, grind who knows what and log out.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hey I like story too.....in game types that are appropriate.

E.g. Witcher, kotor, borderlands, half life, hell even hotline Miami in its own warped way.

But...

Mmos are not an appropriate medium to deliver story.

The mmo part of mmorpg suffers badly
    Hell the rpg bit does too as in most cases its a "you are a the one and only special snowflake destined to save the universe" story (tsw being the only exception)

Also the story bit suffers, not one mmo story has the quality if a good rpg like Planescape, fallout or Witcher 2. Hell even the better fps stories like half life series are better than mmo story.

Hard on heart can anyone say the swtor story lines are even half as good as the two kotor games?

To use the tv analogy above, sticking story in a mmo is like sticking story in a televised sports match or a quiz show.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

old school sandparks.a mix of everything..

EQ.AC.Daoc

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

The story is the extra.

I never pick a restaurant for it desserts...but eh, if they are good, it is just a tiny bonus to the restaurant!  :)

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    The best stories I've ever had in games are the ones told by players in the experiences they've had, for example all the crazy stuff that happens in Dayz. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I never cared for Bioware's yabber yabber style of single player games where there seemed to be more talking than gameplay, but it really made even less sense in an MMO.  GW2's story was a bit intrustive as well, but much "lighter" than SWTOR's.  TSW's just didn't interest me, and it was a big part of the game.

However, I voted for story MMO's for two reasons. 

1.) Simply grinding to max level doesn't appeal to me anymore.  Maybe when I was younger and had nothing better to do than hit the same mobs 10,000 times.  I like there to be a reason for doing things.

2.) I still haven't played a really good sandbox game that I could get into, but I'm still waiting for one.

So yeah, currently I prefer a loose-story style MMORPG, but I don't think it'll always be that way.  It depends on whether anyone ever releases a good sandbox that appeals to me.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    Without story nothing makes sense. I feel confused when things don't make sense.

This post leaves me a little sad.  MMOs could be so much more than stories, so much more than dead words frozen in time.  If Tolkien was born today, I imagine him not writing books but writing code, interveaving layer upon layer of simulation and database over the long years of his life until one day he revealed an entire moving tapestry as his sub-creation, a world into one could wander and explore, where every rock had a history, where every orc and elf had a mission, not because some writer was going around manually adding backstories, but simply because hunger drives motive, motive unleashes behaviour and behaviour builds history as time passes.

( I should note that despite how that might sound, I have a great respect for stories, storytellers and people who consume stories ... it's just that I'm just a little mad at myself for sitting here passively playing games rather than rolling up my sleeves and actually trying to make this genre I believe exists come into being )