Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the series premire of the show is it going to bring in more players for the game?

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I missed the show, I hope it does bring more players to the game, because more importantly if it does that then maybe we could see some nice content updates.

but as for the game, other than some serious bugs it is fun, from an Online game standpoint.  I do not consider this an MMORPG, by any stretch of the imagination. if the only thing that an MMORPG requires now is just multiple players online then sure this is an MMORPG, along with any other online game where you may see a few people online. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    People should not evoke BSG too much... while the show was good for the first season and a bit, the browser based MMO sucked. While Defiance is much better comparatively as a game, we will see what the show turns out to be: good or an overly CGI'd crapfest.
  • lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

I watched the first hour of it but DVR'd it so Im gonna rewatch it tomorrow, hopefully with a different impression

because my initial impression was that it sucked, bad. I dont see the series bringing in any gamers, mostly because I dont see syfy keeping this airing too long.

the writing wasnt too bad, but the special effects were terrible and the makeup was pretty bad also. I guess if you're used to effects and makeup circa Far Scape, you may not think its too bad..

Looking at your post history you are obviously an unhappy individual, your post jump from one game forums to another, I counted 6 games I think on just the first page of your recent post and absolutly not one single positive comment anywhere. 

I for the life of me can not imagine how you can find the make up in that show bad. I watched the video of them doing the make up, and I have seen pretty much each and every piece put together and it still did not take away from the show.

Not so nice guy!

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

I watched a few streams on twitch.tv for a little bit...

kinda just looks like a crappier version of planetside 2

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    While Defiance is much better comparatively as a game, we will see what the show turns out to be: good or an overly CGI'd crapfest.

The show is not overally CGI - because obviously this is a post-apoc sci-fi series not a space one like Babylon 5 or something. It is kinda similar to Firefly (with the similar wild west post-apoc feel).

Thats said I personally don't feel the show will bring much of the mature crowd to the game obviously, because of the fact that online games are time consuming and not a lot of adults who have time to watch shows will have time to play games.

Watching shows is easy - you can even watch them in the toilet via mobile. Online games however requires players to be in front of tv/PC to play it. With the fact that there are so many good shows currently showing this year (Game of Thrones, Vikings, Hannibal, etc) I don't the think a lot of the TV crowd who watched Defiance will translate to playing the game.

I believe it is rather the other way around (the game will make the show more popular/known).

Originally posted by itsbigmike

I watched a few streams on twitch.tv for a little bit...

kinda just looks like a crappier version of planetside 2

WTF are you talking about? That was probablly one of the worse comparisons I have seen to date...Defiance is nothing like Planetside 2. 

Planetside 2 is nothing but a gankfest, no story, no PvE, just jump in and shoot people. Half the people on there don't even know if they are shooting their own team mates or the enemy. 

Not so nice guy!

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    While Defiance is much better comparatively as a game, we will see what the show turns out to be: good or an overly CGI'd crapfest.

The show is not overally CGI - because obviously this is a post-apoc sci-fi series not a space one like Babylon 5 or something. It is kinda similar to Firefly (with the similar wild west post-apoc feel).

Thats said I personally don't feel the show will bring much of the mature crowd to the game obviously, because of the fact that online games are time consuming and not a lot of adults who have time to watch shows will have time to play games.

Watching shows is easy - you can even watch them in the toilet via mobile. Online games however requires players to be in front of tv/PC to play it. With the fact that there are so many good shows currently showing this year (Game of Thrones, Vikings, Hannibal, etc) I don't the think a lot of the TV crowd who watched Defiance will translate to playing the game.

I believe it is rather the other way around (the game will make the show more popular/known).

You are wrong about the "Mature" crowd. I am 40, have a part time job, go to school full time, Married and two kids, plus a few other hobbies besides video games. 

And yes, while on average I will reach the teen levels in an MMO in the time that most of the "younger" crowd will be at max level, it's because of this that I no longer care about the stupid race to level that we all seem to be inclined to do at the release of a new game. 

In fact when I go into a co-op mission I am typically surprised to see I am usually the second highest "level" in the group. Won't last for long pretty soon even the noobs will pass me. 

This is something that this game offers the "mature" crowd that most games online games don't. I could be level 100 and still group with level 5000 players, and while they most likely have the perks and equipment to out damage me in co-ops I will still be able to hold my own and put out some damage. 

In fact I was just in an arkfall where I was second in damage and looking at some of the people in the top 10, I was actually lower level than a lot of them.  While the first place person was about 200 levels ahead of me and only did about 15k more damage. 

Even casual players will enjoy this game, you can't really get left behind. You won't get left out of "raids" because you didn't power level to max and get all the uber gear.

Not so nice guy!

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    When they are chasing the guy I noticed the cgi wasn't all that great for a little few seconds
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Yes... its actually a pretty easy bet it will. If your meaning a large scale boost, then eh... I think it will get a good amount of extra people involved without too much trouble on that end, yes. 
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

This was a solo project. All computer animation and design was created by Kaleb Lechowski during the first year of his studies.

If this student can make such awesome sci fi footage from his computer at home i expected Trion with reasonable budget to do much more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQuGpW0NuW8

choose 720 HD version

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

I enjoyed the show more because of the game, likewise I think I will now enjoy the game more because of the show. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by sassoonss

This was a solo project. All computer animation and design was created by Kaleb Lechowski during the first year of his studies.

If this student can make such awesome sci fi footage from his computer at home i expected Trion with reasonable budget to do much more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQuGpW0NuW8

choose 720 HD version

"- It took an intense seven months: Two months on story before I even started production; two months alien character (especially rigging); maybe two and a half months for animation; And a lot of other stuff all the time."

7 months for a 6min clip. Now imagine that x20. It would have taken him over 11 years to make the pilot episode of Defiance. Lets say 5 years for each additional episode. In 66 years he could have made the first season of Defiance. 

First off, it isn't Trion doing the show. Syfy is and secondly they are doing filming on 13+ episodes a year. That was also pure CGI, its not as easy to do live action with CGI as it is to do pure live action or pure CGI. 

As a modeler and animator I can appreciate what the kid did but the reality is the above. I know its easy for someone on the outside looking in to go "Hey man, this crap is easy you should be able to bang it out in 10 minutes" but I advise you to refrain from doing so until you know what is required. 

Also as far as "All computer animation and design was created by Kaleb Lechowski during the first year of his studies." hes been modeling and animating since he was twleve. He had about 10 years of experience prior to this project lol. 

I know there are a lot of 3D artists out there that can make this look easy... but trust me it takes years and years to get to that point and after that it can take an excessive amount of time to complete a project especially solo. Render times alone can make things take forever lol. 

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Played the game, did all missions and side missions, co op..... and I am disapointed. TV Show is another disapontment. 

B production game, B production TV Show.

For 50 euros i spent on the game i got enough fun but it lasted for 7 days. It might be good in few months but they need lot of stuff to add in game cause it is empty as hell, downside they have limits cause console players have restrictions and the game is more focust for console players then for PC players. 

And as we all know PC Gamer is the only true gamer :D

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by lordtwisted
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

You are wrong about the "Mature" crowd. I am 40, have a part time job, go to school full time, Married and two kids, plus a few other hobbies besides video games. 

And yes, while on average I will reach the teen levels in an MMO in the time that most of the "younger" crowd will be at max level, it's because of this that I no longer care about the stupid race to level that we all seem to be inclined to do at the release of a new game. 

In fact when I go into a co-op mission I am typically surprised to see I am usually the second highest "level" in the group. Won't last for long pretty soon even the noobs will pass me. 

This is something that this game offers the "mature" crowd that most games online games don't. I could be level 100 and still group with level 5000 players, and while they most likely have the perks and equipment to out damage me in co-ops I will still be able to hold my own and put out some damage. 

In fact I was just in an arkfall where I was second in damage and looking at some of the people in the top 10, I was actually lower level than a lot of them.  While the first place person was about 200 levels ahead of me and only did about 15k more damage. 

Even casual players will enjoy this game, you can't really get left behind. You won't get left out of "raids" because you didn't power level to max and get all the uber gear.

Yeah i like the progression system, mainly its passive boosts.  Theres no level 50 epic weapon you need or gear checks, since gear doesnt exist outside of cosmetics.  Theres no raw stat boost in EGO levels.

Ive been in dungeons with people hundreds of EGO levels lower than me and ive even been the lowbie by 300 EGO once. No complaints, no issues with the content.

Some will hate this, as a lot of people find it hard to put down mmorpg conditioning...i think what they did here works great for this game, but yeah would be bad for a deep mmorpg, especially a themepark.

I too have given up on the rat race to endgame, most the people who participate in that leave in one month anyway..and endgame is always a bit meh imo in themeparks.  If i can slow poke it i can easily get two or three times the gameplay out of the game, which i like.

I did notice a lot of the dungeon runs in Defiance still had the uber rushed feeling from other members.  I remember more than once going off the beaten path looking for a data recorder just to see the teammates racing forward without me..its typical but people really need to loose this rushed feeling in games.

I think Defiance feels overly mature because of the lack of global chat.  I dont see meme spam or trolling when i play.  People do chat via text in game, its just not the norm and usually important or really funny when it happens..which is a great change of pace from themeparks where i need to turn off global and hide from the majority.

And yeah...this game is a casual players haven.  No need to keep up with everyone ...and the achivements are rewarding with deco gear and require being very throrough with the areas. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I don't know yet. It might though.

Myself pretty much more excited in the tv show then the game, playtested abit in beta and wanted to wait till I have seen the tv show to maybe get the game itself.

Only problem I noticed is I'm from the Netherlands and only have acces to SyFy.NL, unfortunaly our tv box doesn't recieve SyFy.UK as they seem to air it tonight aswell. Anyone from the Netherlands got a solution to gain acces to tonights premier.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Reklaw

I don't know yet. It might though.

Myself pretty much more excited in the tv show then the game, playtested abit in beta and wanted to wait till I have seen the tv show to maybe get the game itself.

Only problem I noticed is I'm from the Netherlands and only have acces to SyFy.NL, unfortunaly our tv box doesn't recieve SyFy.UK as they seem to air it tonight aswell. Anyone from the Netherlands got a solution to gain acces to tonights premier.

Have you tried Vudu? If that doesn't work then you will likely have to watch it on one of the streamer sites or use a plugin. 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

But your assumption is based on the fact that you are ALREADY a gamer (which in effect negate the entire point of what I was saying about people watching the show, THEN subsequently know about and got into the game scenario).

Which means you play defiance and know about defiance as a game first NOT as the show first. (The comment about the mature crowd is the analysis on the TV watchers, NOT the gaming crowd).

So actually you are proving my point to be exactly correct - the game seems to be bringing in the crowd for the TV show, not so much the other way around.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I just watched the first episode and it good enough, I guess. I would rate it as better and Stargate:Universe but worse than the first season of BSG. Surprisingly, the acting was better than the CGI stuff, which was only about average. That said, having played the beta, I think the game is substantially worse than the show (it is easy to tell that corners were cut in order to make the release date, to coincide with the TV show premier), especially at launch price.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by sassoonss

lets say if you are expecting show on the line of Stargate or Battlestar Gallactica or others you will be disappointed.

Looks like b budgeted , fx efects were cartoonish , charctaer depth - cough cough.

It ok but i dont think it will bring in players on the contrary the game will bring in viewers for the show.

What I watched, and what you watched must have been completely different shows, because the one I watched was amazing. 

So how does the star rating on these forums work? I notice that you have twice as many post as me, but only 1 star.....

It works by frequency of posts, not by quantity.  

I also saw a 'B budget' show.  You can watch Falling Skies and see a massive difference, and I would't even say Falling Skies has the best FX around.  Some of the acting was a bit suspect, and you kind of felt like the show was filmed entirely in front of a green screen.  It's okay if you liked it, don't be ashamed.  But also, saying it was amazing is a bit of a stretch.  I'll say it has promise, but if I weren't playing the game, I likely wouldn't watch the show.

And of course, the show will bring in players for the game, just like the game will bring viewers to the show.  That's the whole point of the partnership, right? 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Just watched the pilot episode without ever having played the game.  I wasnt blown away by the tv show.   It was entertaining but not groundbreaking. For Sci-fi channel I guess it is one of their better efforts.  I doubt it would get me to play the game, but maybe for some it will.
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I thought the Pilot was horrible. One dimensional characters, predictable, some really bad acting and cheap production. 

This show looks like it is going to be a western with SciFi elements, anyone reminded of Firefly?

The aliens are as always humans with slight alterations like flat nose bridge, pale skin and colorful contact lenses. The "Commander Data" robot type race has especially bad makeup around the mouth and eyes.

Not to mention that we have no idea why about 10 different species decided to show up at the same time, i mean what are the chances!

The plot is ridiculous at best. A scavanger risking life and limb for years to get to Antarctica (i dunno why you would go there of all places, but they must like the cold). He finally hits the Jackpot and finds a multi million dollar piece of ArKtec, almost gets his adoptes "alien" doughter killed and decides to blow it up for a bunch of total strangers.

On the other hand the village full of idiots, that trust him so much after only a day that they make him sheriff, aka head of their security. I wonder how these idiots even survived that long in a post apocalyptic world invaded by multiple alien species. 

At least the game does not try to be more than a simple minded shooter MMO.

My Score: 4/10

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

episodes will make some people buy it, they get disapointed then ask for money back

and the pilot wasnt that good anyway but i gues its depends on the person

hallo ~_~

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    taus01: I dont really disagree with much that you wrote, but I guess I dont really expect much more from Sci-fi channel, lol. 
    Originally posted by taus01

I thought the Pilot was horrible. One dimensional characters, predictable, some really bad acting and cheap production. 

This show looks like it is going to be a western with SciFi elements, anyone reminded of Firefly?

The aliens are as always humans with slight alterations like flat nose bridge, pale skin and colorful contact lenses. The "Commander Data" robot type race has especially bad makeup around the mouth and eyes.

Not to mention that we have no idea why about 10 different species decided to show up at the same time, i mean what are the chances!

The plot is ridiculous at best. A scavanger risking life and limb for years to get to Antarctica (i dunno why you would go there of all places, but they must like the cold). He finally hits the Jackpot and finds a multi million dollar piece of ArKtec, almost gets his adoptes "alien" doughter killed and decides to blow it up for a bunch of total strangers.

On the other hand the village full of idiots, that trust him so much after only a day that they make him sheriff, aka head of their security. I wonder how these idiots even survived that long in a post apocalyptic world invaded by multiple alien species. 

At least the game does not try to be more than a simple minded shooter MMO.

My Score: 4/10

Umm do a little reading. 

The numerous alien RACES came to live here from their PLANET where they lived together...just like numerous races live on our planet. 

They came here to find a new place to live due to the wars...guessing the Volge got out of control? 

The scavenger risked his life, his adopted daughters life, and the Ark fall loot in order to save the town of Defiance because he is a hero, as was already proven in the Pale Wars, when a person is truely noble, and truely a hero they will do that for other people, and typically they do not change that fact about themselves over the years unless something has jaded them. 

The world was not invaded by multiple races of aliens, some came to live here in peace, others followed them and brought the fight here. 

I am afraid your problem is not the show or the game, but more of a comprehension thing.

Not so nice guy!

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I have yet to play the game and probably won't any time soon but I did catch the show and thought it was good considering its the Syfy channel and all. I think the show definitely has potential to get pretty big and I am not so sure people will immediately go for the game just because of the show, especially if people equate the game with most other media tie in games which usually are horrible. It does have potential but at this point I think we are in a wait and see pattern for another 5-6 episodes, if the show maintains a good degree of excitement who knows...maybe it could be the one that beats the odds.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!