Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update 19: Evening Update April 16, 2013

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    yea very impressive looking.. I liked the 3d render as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    great update the race looks really cool.  CSE's art team is doing great.
  • MC_LaggMasterMC_LaggMaster Member Posts: 36
    New race looks awesome.  
  • darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Yeah i can see what you mean about the wings need to be one or the other.  Would be nice for them to be wrapped around the legs like armor.
  • Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81

If you removed the butt wings, it would make a really awesome NPC. But the butt wings, they just look so ridiculous. I can't imagine how or why they would evolve. They are basically useless anatomically, I can't stop thinking that, as I look at it.  My willing suspension of disbelief stalls at butt wings i'm afraid.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It seems like there would be terrible clipping problems with this race with armor and cloaks. I'm not that excited by it. Hopefully it will be one of the ones we can vote on if this thing funds. I'd vote no.

Halfway through the Kickstarter we've had vastly more information about ducks than about RvR. I hope Mark is saving up a huge update detailing the RvR system for April 30 or something so it will have maximum impact right before the end of Kickstarter. Otherwise I'd have to start wondering if there really hasn't been much thought about how RvR works yet. Grr.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• mav1234mav1234 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by meddyck

It seems like there would be terrible clipping problems with this race with armor and cloaks. I'm not that excited by it. Hopefully it will be one of the ones we can vote on if this thing funds. I'd vote no.

Halfway through the Kickstarter we've had vastly more information about ducks than about RvR. I hope Mark is saving up a huge update detailing the RvR system for April 30 or something so it will have maximum impact right before the end of Kickstarter. Otherwise I'd have to start wondering if there really hasn't been much thought about how RvR works yet. Grr.

I agree... I'm waiting to hear more on the game itself before I sub. I realize the engine is super important, but I want to see more on the game first.  but I like what I've seen so far.

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

I didn't like the artist rendering at all.

but the animation looks pretty good, I still have. Problem with the narrowness of the shoulders and minute scale of the head.

i believe that their anti-race is going to be called Perdue's.....who keep them penned up and slaughter them for sustenance!

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Tierless

The only thing that I can't roll with, and I'm sure this will be the big hate or love thing, is wings of that size on the rear. As they are now they feel like they are tacked on just for the sake of it. I would rather they are either more clothing/leg wrap/cloak/armor and appear useless for flying, or tiny and used as a sort of social status symbol to attract mates, like the antlers on the TDD. I think they are stuck in an undecided neutral area as they are now (they dont know if they should be for flying, or clothing, or status.

Semi-useless wings have been around for a while (see Dragonlance amoung others), and I think they provide a bit of much needed spice to the lore.  I appreciate that they aren't following the same WoW / D&D fantasy stereotypes for races.

Originally posted by Father_Jack
    If you removed the butt wings, it would make a really awesome NPC. But the butt wings, they just look so ridiculous. I can't imagine how or why they would evolve. They are basically useless anatomically, I can't stop thinking that, as I look at it.  My willing suspension of disbelief stalls at butt wings i'm afraid.

I ask myself, what do the wings add to the design, would it work without them, what function do they serve? Were they dont for a functional purpose, or just because they looked cool? I ask myself those questions. I assume the idea is they reach out and grab pray. If thats the case I would like them to be more webbed extra arm like and less wing like. If thats not the case, then remove them or make them tiny or into some sort of natural armor. Other than that, looked cool, unique, fluid.

I almost see the wings used to cover up and being used as camouflage, would be a good scout class.

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

GREAT New addition to the races.  CSE is continuing to set the standard for openess with their backers and future backers and this will definately continue WHEN the game gets funded.

Rig

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54

Loved the new race, as for the wings i personally would like to see them as something "dead"  that  just is left there after years of evolution. Like our body hair and tailbone etc.  Wouldn't like to see them open up as you jump or so.

Or as someone suggested, they could be used as some sort of armor for your legs or something like that.

Going to quote Mark here from another forum.

Q: Dunno what i have to think about the new race mark, If the wings stay like that all the time it would be okayish but if they open up with jumping or so it will be anoying. Cant decide till it gets armor if i like it or not.  -Dutch_NS

A: Understood. It's truly a prototype. Under normal (not Kickstarter) conditions, those races would have only been shown in concept art form. Because of the KS however, the team pushed to get it modeled, rigged, textured and animated. I like it a lot and there actually is a bit of a backstory I'm building behind it. So far, it's coming out well but it is indeed very early. -MJ

So things are going to change for sure, but it's an awesome concept imo, and very nice to see!

As for more content update, you did hear him say that there will be updates in line with "the depths" right?

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea i like it, good to see something new and unique, rather than: this is an Orc is has appeared in a total of 1404 video games and 2087 novels. we dont need to tell you anything more, you already know all about orcs.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    She looks pretty badass.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Tayah
    She looks pretty badass.

Love your popcorn gif lol

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by tenfoldedmight
    Originally posted by Tayah
    She looks pretty badass.

Love your popcorn gif lol

It is quite hypnotic, isn't it?

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

You can tell MJ is worried about whether the game will fund. I truly, truly, truly hope it does. :( I backed 110, and if needed I'll pop it up a bit more, but I'm not rich enough to save the day! I hope Andrew has some great tech demos to throw at people by the end of this week.

Good luck, CU!

Originally posted by drakon3

The only thing that I can't roll with, and I'm sure this will be the big hate or love thing, is wings of that size on the rear. As they are now they feel like they are tacked on just for the sake of it. I would rather they are either more clothing/leg wrap/cloak/armor and appear useless for flying, or tiny and used as a sort of social status symbol to attract mates, like the antlers on the TDD. I think they are stuck in an undecided neutral area as they are now (they dont know if they should be for flying, or clothing, or status.

Semi-useless wings have been around for a while (see Dragonlance amoung others), and I think they provide a bit of much needed spice to the lore.  I appreciate that they aren't following the same WoW / D&D fantasy stereotypes for races.

A cockatrice is a mythical beast, essentially a two-legged dragon with a rooster's head. "An ornament in the drama and poetry of the Elizabethans", Laurence Breiner described it. It featured prominently in English thought and myth for centuries.

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Those wings.. yuck
  • supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95

I really like the rendered version, the wings are cut back some and are more like a cloak effect and  the head/hair looks really sweet...I like.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I like it.  The concept art is meh, but the actual model is bad ass IMO.  Who cares about the functionality of wings on a mythical creature.  There are countless such unrealistic creatures out there.  Besides, it could surely be explained through lore. 

Regardless, I do like the look.  The only questionable thing in my mind was the hooves. 

Originally posted by redcapp

I like it.  The concept art is meh, but the actual model is bad ass IMO.  Who cares about the functionality of wings on a mythical creature.  There are countless such unrealistic creatures out there.  Besides, it could surely be explained through lore. 

Regardless, I do like the look.  The only questionable thing in my mind was the hooves. 

I think they are talons.....they even have the cockspur on the calf...

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

[mod edit]

I "think" the race is some sort of a human-dragonkin mix, in which case the feet make sense.

The model is pretty amazing. The wings, well yeah they might be a little oddly placed, but still I love the model. Whoever made it is very talented.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I think the kwings could be awesome if they incorporate it into the entire design of the character and hav ethe wings be utilized for combat atnd other things.

Using their wings to block, maybe attack, perhaps the wings give them the ability to "glide" (IE not flight but can jump off things and glide down, etc). This will give them some tactical differences to other races without straight up giving themt he ability to fly (since I doubt that'll be in).

Allow players to perhaps put armour on the wings (if they are a fighter with said race, and the wings are use dto block, it would stand to reason they'd armour them ).

If the wings are used in some fashion it can add to the uniquness of them being so low on the character instead of the normal shoulder-area.

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    The St'rm are awesome!  I don't think I'd want to play one, but many players would and that's great.  I think they did a wonderful job on the animation.  But the wings seem to be a bit awkward, maybe just a bit too big.  Maybe make them a big smaller and give them reduced falling damage as a racial trait since they could "glide" down.