Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show better than the game

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
I have been a big sci fi fan since the days of watching 1960s Star Trek re runs in the 80s. I was very impressed with the show last night. I was not nearly as impressed by the open beta though. So is the full release any different from the OB or should I just skip it and/or wait for a 50% off sale somewhere? Not a big fan of on-rails, themepark hamster wheels.

Comments

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by jpnole
    I have been a big sci fi fan since the days of watching 1960s Star Trek re runs in the 80s. I was very impressed with the show last night. I was not nearly as impressed by the open beta though. So is the full release any different from the OB or should I just skip it and/or wait for a 50% off sale somewhere?

I'd consider getting the game if it was $19.99, maybe $29.99 if massive improvements were made.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I have been a big sci fi fan since the days of watching 1960s Star Trek re runs in the 80s. I was very impressed with the show last night. I was not nearly as impressed by the open beta though. So is the full release any different from the OB or should I just skip it and/or wait for a 50% off sale somewhere? Not a big fan of on-rails, themepark hamster wheels.

Open beta's are rarely different from the released product. So yeah, skip it if you didn't like it.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    The game is fantastic... but I am only 122 hours in.  Worth every dime.
  • BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    you gotta be into shooters to really get into this game; game is a shooter first, and MMO second; and yes, the TV show is awesome! can't wait for next round :)
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

So the OP is not a fan of the game, and doesn't like the design decisions.  But he'll still gladly buy it so long as it is half off?

Does the OP eat from a dumpster because it's cheaper than a steak dinner?

I don't think a sale price changes how much fun people have in a buy to play game for months on end.  Then again people enjoy a lot of things that don't make sense, such as asphyxiating themselves.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

So the OP is not a fan of the game, and doesn't like the design decisions.  But he'll still gladly buy it so long as it is half off?

I don't think a sale price changes how much fun people have in a buy to play game for months on end.  Then again people enjoy a lot of things that don't make sense, such as asphyxiating themselves.

He was asking if the full game was better than the beta.

As far as sales price changing how much fun there, If I thought I would get at least 2 weeks of enjoyment out of it, I'd want to pay less than if I would get two month's enjoyment.

• AumHybridAumHybrid Member UncommonPosts: 75

I actually hated nearly even minute of the show up until maybe the last thirty minutes.  I didn't like the dialogue at all and though that it was waaaay too cheesy at some points.

I hope I become more interested in the coming episodes.

That being said, I love the game.  It's the perfect game to sit on the couch and play with the roommates.  The co-op maps are really fun and I love the guns, although the framerate drops are rediculous.

The arkfalls are pretty fun, although I have been neglecting them because I enjoy the story missions.

And nothing is more enjoyable then ramping my dune buggy off of mountains and then flipping out of the driver's seat like it's nothing.

I wanted to turn the TV off whenever the dude pulled the handcuffs from behind his back and was like "Oh, I got bored".  Trying way too hard to make this very unintimidating man into a badass.

Lucky for him, those biomen have balls that can be slightly hurt and butt holes with permanent off switches in them.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by AumHybrid

I actually hated nearly even minute of the show up until maybe the last thirty minutes.  I didn't like the dialogue at all and though that it was waaaay too cheesy at some points.

That being said, I love the game.  It's the perfect game to sit on the couch and play with the roommates.  The co-op maps are really fun and I love the guns, although the framerate drops are rediculous.

The arkfalls are pretty fun, although I have been neglecting them because I enjoy the story missions.

And nothing is more enjoyable then ramping my dune buggy off of mountains and then flipping out of the driver's seat like it's nothing.

I wanted to turn the TV off whenever the dude pulled the handcuffs from behind his back and was like "Oh, I got bored".  Trying way too hard to make this very unintimidating man into a badass.

Lucky for him, those biomen have balls that can be slightly hurt and butt holes with permanent off switches in them.

WTH ? image

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

People are so irrational and emotional with games i would say that if your not head over heels for a game by the looks to just completely avoid it..even if that means not playing any games and finding a hobby.

I certainly wouldnt come here to ask.  Half will say its the worst game ever created and the other half will say its the best game ever made, with those in the middle getting banned lol..

But yeah if you dont like the beta dont bother with the game, true with all games.

You can watch the show and log on to the trion defiance forums and participate in show related banter and learn about tie ins ect without needing to play the game...which i might add was kinda fun...commercial break = post about what happend and laugh.  Was a good time tbh.

Anyway games on sale for like $33 on GG with a code (look at the other post here) my guess is that if your one of those "well its not worth $40 but i would consider buying it if it was $30" types i wouldnt bother, just setting yourself up for high emotional damages if you dont love the game.

Also they were giving away free copies of the game on the post show live stream, might want to consider that as an option.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Er.. so what if it doesn't last them months?  That's why I haven't bought it yet, I don't expect it to last me "months on end".  Talk about not making sense...

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I have been a big sci fi fan since the days of watching 1960s Star Trek re runs in the 80s. I was very impressed with the show last night. I was not nearly as impressed by the open beta though.

I think that was expected - of any game to tv show links.

If the show was WORSE than the game than that would imply the show is absolutely woeful and means that show is not worth primetime tv quality.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    I have been a big sci fi fan since the days of watching 1960s Star Trek re runs in the 80s. I was very impressed with the show last night. I was not nearly as impressed by the open beta though. So is the full release any different from the OB or should I just skip it and/or wait for a 50% off sale somewhere?

I'd consider getting the game if it was $19.99, maybe $29.99 if massive improvements were made.

I bought it for 38 bucks from play-sc.

http://play-sc.com/Defiance-PC-Download-CD-Key.html

It says 47 singapore dollars which winds up bing about 38 USD. It's legit.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by Scottgun

I bought it for 38 bucks from play-sc.

http://play-sc.com/Defiance-PC-Download-CD-Key.html

It says 47 singapore dollars which winds up bing about 38 USD. It's legit.

or $33.60 from here https://www.greenmangaming.com using GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA code

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

No, I use a 50% off coupon to buy that steak dinner. Which is what I'll be looking to do here. 

I want to pay less that way if I end up disappointed... I spent less money.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ya i did watch the show,it was ok,not the best of script writing though,quite generic and quite cheesy at times.

I am in the same boat on cost,i just  do not see Defiance game being worth 60 bucks.

You can look at Trion's "feature" list and see how badly they struggled to find a selling point.

• Futuristic open-world shooter  This is not a feature
    • Massive co-op boss battles    Could be considered a feature,not enough to warrant 60 bucks.
    • Advanced human and alien weaponry  Well we EXPECT weapons in games,NOT a feature.
    • Fierce Shadow War multiplayer  Pvp is not really a feature. 
    • Evolving world with constant content updates Well yes we expect updates in games,again not a feature.
    Even still i thought ok ,i'll go to the site and look over the weapons,not much to get excited about.I like the idea of a spread Rocket launcher,but most of the weaponry looks like miniguns,pistols,rifles,nothing too fun.
    I have no want for any pvp at all,so i really struggle to see me spedning 60 bucks to pla ythis game.

So like others , ithink iof it drops to a more reasonalbe 30,i would buy it.BTW i am not cheap,i usually pay 60 bucks and carry two sub fees per game i play,i just need to warrant the spending

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by BaltoBro
    you gotta be into shooters to really get into this game; game is a shooter first, and MMO second; and yes, the TV show is awesome! can't wait for next round :)

actually i've seen shooters with more variety in skills (and don't start with the passives now.... just don't...)

but, as angry joe put it, it's providing some fun with it's "gear grind" possibilities :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Wizardry

Ya i did watch the show,it was ok,not the best of script writing though,quite generic and quite cheesy at times.

I am in the same boat on cost,i just  do not see Defiance game being worth 60 bucks.

You can look at Trion's "feature" list and see how badly they struggled to find a selling point.

• Futuristic open-world shooter  This is not a feature
    • Massive co-op boss battles    Could be considered a feature,not enough to warrant 60 bucks.
    • Advanced human and alien weaponry  Well we EXPECT weapons in games,NOT a feature.
    • Fierce Shadow War multiplayer  Pvp is not really a feature. 
    • Evolving world with constant content updates Well yes we expect updates in games,again not a feature.

It is interesting that people say this is no 60 bucks and yet when Borderlands 2 came out people gobbled that up like chocolate cheesecake.

Those features listed above are basically same shit as Borderlands/Borderlands 2 - with the exception that this is massively multiplayer and Borderlands wasn't.

So how can this game worth LESS than Borderlands/Borderlands 2?

That is WHY I can't sympathize when people keep on saying it is NOT worth $60. You actually get MORE value for money with Defiance because you get access FREE to a server, online.

• RolleZRolleZ Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Free access to Defiance server? where do i get that? got a link?
    Originally posted by RolleZ
    Free access to Defiance server? where do i get that? got a link?

Hmm.. you don't need to pay sub fees dude = free access, just one off $60 bucks... I thought that was common knowledge in this thread?

I hope you are not meaning to misunderstand my statement of free access as in free access to their server insfrastructure and source codes? Cuz if you are youa re just being absurd, not sarcastic.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I don't care too much for tv show  , but love game
  • vulkanxxvulkanxx Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by AumHybrid

Agree, I turned the show off after 30 mins.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Yeah I gotta say, I have no interest in some cheesy sci-fi show, but I do want to play the game.  Unless I have to watch the show to fully enjoy the game, which would suck.
  • WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245
    Not one for sci fi shows myself but did give Defiance a watch and i was quite impressed, some great character design.
  • JJOnewayJJOneway Member Posts: 112

Enjoying the game a lot. Yes it's flawed but the world and the lore just hooked me, so here I am. I loved the show and I really hope it does well and gets a second season at least.

For those of you that didn't enjoy the show, you do realise that in the first 30 minutes Nolan had played a Johnny Cash song, beat up at least 4 people and slept with a hooker? That's TV gold right there.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Yeah I gotta say, I have no interest in some cheesy sci-fi show, but I do want to play the game.  Unless I have to watch the show to fully enjoy the game, which would suck.

Pretty sure the first episode is free on amazon and other sites, check it out doesnt hurt and might not be as cheezy as you think.

As for the game, i would suggest no.

GW2 fanatics do not end up liking other games lol.  Despite i see this game as GW2 done right, theres a decent amount of similarites in content presentation...i would say skip the game.

Anyway if you have to wait for a game to become cheaper to be interested your just not going to like the game. Better save the stress and stick with what you like.