Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did you expect ?!

Comments

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Sounds are very often fixed last by freelancers and such, bet that is the thing here. Yet I find it funny how I said this will be just another bland MMO, people bashed and hated on me just like when I said the same about GW2 and in just a short while they all go hyping the next game like it was the second coming of jesus or some shit. Hypetrain CHOO CHOO!
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Sounds are very often fixed last by freelancers and such, bet that is the thing here. Yet I find it funny how I said this will be just another bland MMO, people bashed and hated on me just like when I said the same about GW2 and in just a short while they all go hyping the next game like it was the second coming of jesus or some shit. Hypetrain CHOO CHOO!

I find it more of a reason to "hate" on you because you're acting like predicting that people will jump on the next hype train is some kind of superpower, when I see it more as an inevitability.  Seriously, whatever your feelings about a game, everyone knows this already.

PS: Because you said a game was bland doesn't mean it was.  I know, I know.  Shocking how reality works.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I find it more of a reason to "hate" on you because you're acting like predicting that people will jump on the next hype train is some kind of superpower, when I see it more as an inevitability.  Seriously, whatever your feelings about a game, everyone knows this already.

PS: Because you said a game was bland doesn't mean it was.  I know, I know.  Shocking how reality works.

Truth is people fall for the same crap that should be obvious by now one could think, it is sad and probably why the industry isn't changing. If people didn't pump money into bad games, clones, pushed productions we would most likely have a healthier market now. Can't say this game is going to be bad yet I guess, it's still too early but it's not a game I am going to play judging from what I've read and seen. GW2 was fun a while but got old fast with no interesting PVP going on and no good updates.

PS. Not gonna bite on your attempt to get me banned. ;)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Truth is people fall for the same crap that should be obvious by now one could think, it is sad and probably why the industry isn't changing. If people didn't pump money into bad games, clones, pushed productions we would most likely have a healthier market now. Can't say this game is going to be bad yet I guess, it's still too early but it's not a game I am going to play judging from what I've read and seen. GW2 was fun a while but got old fast with no interesting PVP going on and no good updates.

What you think is crap, is what others enjoy.  You need to recognize that others like things you do not.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by aleos

it was kinda like going on a bilnd date.. Built up tension and eagerness only to get there and be like.. "This bitch is ugly." Even worse when you sit down shes totally uninteresting and has no personality...

But you do it anyway..

beacuse you're bored...

This genre blows.

Well, my friend, both situations can be remedied with copious amounts of alcohol...race you to the liquor store!

Originally posted by observer

What you think is crap, is what others enjoy.  You need to recognize that others like things you do not.

Well if the majority of people are tricked into something is great and awesome then let down by the product it is not a good product, just good marketing. As a gamedev I constantly have to recognize what others enjoy that I might not especially since my enjoyment is pretty niche (apparantly), for example I really dislike WoW but I recognize it as a good product since it holds a lot of peopls interest although I would never try to make a contentheavy game like that. ^^

I'm not trying to get anyone banned, maybe my response was a bit aggressive itself, I just think it sounded kind of arrogant to suggest you were right about something that ultimately falls under "opinion". 

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I thought it looked like Oblivion, was quite happy with it considering it's early stage with none of the eye candy. The animations and combat could use some love. Then again, we don't know if they are going to add some eye candy. Let's wait and see.

Overall i would say 6/10 so far.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Game is looking very nice... although I'm not going to play a caster. And not that faction.

Really really LOVED the argonians... wow! Nice job.

They're really doing a good job making it as close to TES as possible.

Haters gonna hate... oh well... 

Good job zenimax... too bad theres no beta invite on my email tho...

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

Actually I had and still have pretty low expectations for this game...I dont know why

After watching the video, the only thing that got me worried was the combat..because even if you take out the obvious work in progress stuff (de-sync, "ranged melee hits", etc) and the "bad player factor", it seemed really light on enemy action feedback, "floaty" and bland. Combat felt really boring.....and considering my numerous past experiences with videogame betas, things like combat WILL NOT CHANGE from now to the release of the game. Animations too are very unlikely to improve. This is sad because combat is a crucial part of a game like this one...and will most likely mean the game's failure to achieve a stable playerbase. It happened to the Secret World (combat is the Achilles heel of TSW), and will happen with this game too.

Really wish they took a more tactical and epic feeling for the combat, with dodging, big hits with great feedback, etc...even if that involves animation lock

I'm not worried about other bad stuff like the really uninspired UI (wtf is that font they are using...), because that aspect will most likely change near the end of the beta (by experience I know that the UI is one of the last things to get finished).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by fledur

Really wish they took a more tactical and epic feeling for the combat, with dodging, big hits with great feedback, etc...even if that involves animation lock

There is dodging and there are large hits. Not necessarily great "feedback" from those hits.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Actually I had and still have pretty low expectations for this game...I dont know why

After watching the video, the only thing that got me worried was the combat..because even if you take out the obvious work in progress stuff (de-sync, "ranged melee hits", etc) and the "bad player factor", it seemed really light on enemy action feedback, "floaty" and bland. Combat felt really boring.....and considering my numerous past experiences with videogame betas, things like combat WILL NOT CHANGE from now to the release of the game. Animations too are very unlikely to improve. This is sad because combat is a crucial part of a game like this one...and will most likely mean the game's failure to achieve a stable playerbase. It happened to the Secret World (combat is the Achilles heel of TSW), and will happen with this game too.

Yeah, this is my absolute main problem with what I saw.  There are a ton of people who seem to want to imagine that the floaty feeling of combat will change before release, but what if it doesn't?  This was exactly the problem I had with TSW, your whole pargraph rings true to me.

Say what you want about WoW and GW2, even TERA, but when I engaged in combat in those games, I always felt like I was hitting something solid.  If this changed, my opinion of the game would change, but people can't pretend the combat looks amazing.  Protip: they will anyway.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    I know allot of folks are saying "the graphics will change, it's in beta", but I have to disagree to an extent. I played 3 SWTOR betas and the graphics/gameplay were just about identical to the beta months before release. I'm not saying it will be the same, but I am not expecting them to be much better. As far as the gameplay goes, aside from some animation cleanup, I doubt the core gameplay will be any different. I am not trying to bash the game, just going by past experience on beta to finished product. 
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

Somehow I think tis is about RvR PVP fans, "hint"  DAOC and ESO.

Same thing happened to Dayz and Warz.

Simply? some people want ESO to be CU, simple as it could be.

Forced for all PVP.

Yeah, this is my absolute main problem with what I saw.  There are a ton of people who seem to want to imagine that the floaty feeling of combat will change before release, but what if it doesn't?  This was exactly the problem I had with TSW, your whole pargraph rings true to me.

Say what you want about WoW and GW2, even TERA, but when I engaged in combat in those games, I always felt like I was hitting something solid.  If this changed, my opinion of the game would change, but people can't pretend the combat looks amazing.  Protip: they will anyway.

I have yet to see anyone say that the "floaty" feeling will change. The only thing mentioned was that some of the sounds for combat "could" change.

Another issue (in my opinion) is that the avatars move a bit quickler than I would like and that gives a feeling of being less than "solid".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Sovrath

I have yet to see anyone say that the "floaty" feeling will change. The only thing mentioned was that some of the sounds for combat "could" change.

Another issue (in my opinion) is that the avatars move a bit quickler than I would like and that gives a feeling of being less than "solid".

Yeah, the mage I saw moved very fast.  So my question is, is that the same with every class/armor build (if you know, that is)?  I know how a lot of modern MMORPG players would complain, but honestly, I think anyone wearing heavy armor should move slower... but that's just me.  I guess it would be a big disadvantage in PvP.

I ask because 1.) it makes logical sense.. not that most MMOs do, and 2.) it's the way things worked in single player ES games.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by baphamet

i blame wow lol

we seen on the wow forums that if you cry loud enough eventually you might get your way.

Yeah because noone EVER cried on the forums of a MMO before WOW... /rolleyes

For me it was not the graphics or the animation, it was the horrible boring gameplay and terrible A.I..  

Yes I know this is beta.  Yes I know that this was a starting zone.  But this game is releasing this year....

That was some of the most boring mind numbing gameplay I have ever seen in my life. 

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Yeah, the mage I saw moved very fast.  So my question is, is that the same with every class/armor build (if you know, that is)?  I know how a lot of modern MMORPG players would complain, but honestly, I think anyone wearing heavy armor should move slower... but that's just me.  I guess it would be a big disadvantage in PvP.

I ask because 1.) it makes logical sense.. not that most MMOs do, and 2.) it's the way things worked in single player ES games.

the mage in the video was moving fast cause he had 'sprint' toggled on.  you can see his stamina draining. 

"in my opinion" I felt both my templar and dragon knight, in heavy armor moved too quickly.

So this stuff probably won't change at launch.

I doubt the animations will drastically change.

The game does look better than that video implied. But not leagues better.

My initial concern from playing at PAX is that the pve really is just mmo quest pve as opposed to "hey look, there is a door up there, I wonder what that is,...". There will be a little of that but sadly probably not a lot.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I am preplexed with amount of whining over the leaked video.

"The game looks terrible!" ... fanboys leaving.

But I wonder, honestly : What did you expect ?

Cause I aint seeing anything that would in any way contradict anything that was said and reported about game so far.

So what made you scream "bloody murder" now ?

Is it graphics ? Because in beta only the lowest resolution textures are enabled and 3d effects are on bare minimum. Its only in late beta cycles that they enable all "eye candy" ... but you knew that , right ?

Is it animations ? Because in Beta most animations are placeholders...

Is it the fact its just another MMO with zero innovation ?

But you knew that before....

So why complain now ?

I don't get it. I mean, sure, I will make my own assumptions from watching the video but until I have had actual hands-on time I see no reason to flip out and spell doom for the game.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks
    It looks pretty similar to Skyrim. I don't know why people are getting their panties in a knot. No game ever lives up to all expectations.

Well I wouldn't call it similar but then after watching it in general it encouraged me to try it out. There are a few things that were on the video that didn't fit TES and shown that TESO could be better as FFA sandbox game but then it's not a sandbox. And some changes therefore had to be made (like don't kill NPC). I myself can live with that.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
     From what I saw in the video it looks like what they have said it will be. I saw an Elder Scrolls game designed to play as a MMO. It had many of the Elder Scrolls signatures of play in it. Remember it was also beta and early beta at that... one of the reasons companies try to hinder leaks at this stage.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

after seeing the video i cant wait to see what pvp is like.  looks like the combat will be challenging and engaging.

as for what i expect.  i expect it to be like any other mmo in the past couple years.  in that,  it will keep me entertained for a month or 2 and then i will try the next one.  hopefully though,  someday,  a new game will release that keeps me engaged for more than a few months.  this might be it, but only time will tell.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Galadourn

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Po_gg

Originally posted by pmnx

Originally posted by Lobotomist But I wonder, honestly : What did you expect ?
    I expected a AAA mmorpg developped during 5 years by Mat Firror.
    And for one vote to the other side as well, I personally expected an Elder Scrolls game, only this time Online (like the name stated) with fellow Elder Scrolls fans :) So when I first heard about the whole TES-skinned DAoC2 shenanigan I scraped it off from the "waiting" list... and only with the recent news picked up the line again, but I admit I'm still on the fence with TESO, since it still looks way too daoc-ish for my taste.
    Just out of curiosity, but what exactly are you seeing (other than the 3 factions) that makes the game look like a DAoC clone? The only part of the game that we know of that shares commonality w/ DAoC is the faction PvP, of which we haven't seen anything about it really. We just know it's supposed to exist.
    lol; the arbitrary separation of Tamriel's races into 3 factions (really, why? I know ofc that you can twist the lore as you want to make it believable, but this looks like forced RvRvR to me), and the fact that each faction is restricted to its own PvE-leveling zone(s) with only one common zone to fight.

This is as DAoC as it gets.

these kind of posts are a cancer to these forums. no it is not as Daoc as you can get, its nothing like Daoc except for having 3 factions and similar style optional pvp.

you either need to get your facts straight and learn about this game before you post about it or stop trolling.

exactly im sick of these people WHO NEVER PLAYED DAOC.  spouting "facts" like its the most uber themeparky game ever (laughably in the same sentance describing games like EQ and AO as sandboxes :D)

Features I know of in TESO

1 equality of PVE / PVP and crafted gear - VERY DAOC

2 some sort of 3 sided persistent PVP at endgame.  Now this could be very DAOC, inversly i could be some token crapfest in the vein of TSW & SWTOR

3 a few open dungeons - DAOC / AC / EQ feature

4 lead by the nose questing - WOW CLONE FEATURE, nothing like daoc at all in daoc you just wander off and find shit, like in tes.

5 instances - WOW CLONE FEATURE - daoc has ZERO instances of any kind

6 phasing - WOW CLONE FEATURE - daoc doesn't use phasing

7 combat - not sure if this is a TES feature or a GW2 feature

8 voice over, personal story and what not - SWTOR / TSW

9 mega server bullshit - STO/TSW

10 auction house - NOT IN DAOC

Features of DAOC not in TESO

1 HOUSING

2 Big ass raids that took hundreds of people and like 6 hours to complete

3 alternative ruleset servers - FFA servers that played akin to Darkfall and coop servers that played akin to Everquest

I think there is a high chance this game will be yet another uber themepark faliure.  This wont be because they "cloned daoc" this will be because they cloned wow and made the mistake of TSW/STO/SWTOR in trying to ram a sprg peg in a mmo round hole.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by Galadourn

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Po_gg

Originally posted by pmnx

Originally posted by Lobotomist But I wonder, honestly : What did you expect ?
    I expected a AAA mmorpg developped during 5 years by Mat Firror.
    And for one vote to the other side as well, I personally expected an Elder Scrolls game, only this time Online (like the name stated) with fellow Elder Scrolls fans :) So when I first heard about the whole TES-skinned DAoC2 shenanigan I scraped it off from the "waiting" list... and only with the recent news picked up the line again, but I admit I'm still on the fence with TESO, since it still looks way too daoc-ish for my taste.
    Just out of curiosity, but what exactly are you seeing (other than the 3 factions) that makes the game look like a DAoC clone? The only part of the game that we know of that shares commonality w/ DAoC is the faction PvP, of which we haven't seen anything about it really. We just know it's supposed to exist.
    lol; the arbitrary separation of Tamriel's races into 3 factions (really, why? I know ofc that you can twist the lore as you want to make it believable, but this looks like forced RvRvR to me), and the fact that each faction is restricted to its own PvE-leveling zone(s) with only one common zone to fight.

This is as DAoC as it gets.

these kind of posts are a cancer to these forums. no it is not as Daoc as you can get, its nothing like Daoc except for having 3 factions and similar style optional pvp.

you either need to get your facts straight and learn about this game before you post about it or stop trolling.

exactly im sick of these people WHO NEVER PLAYED DAOC.  spouting "facts" like its the most uber themeparky game ever (laughably in the same sentance describing games like EQ and AO as sandboxes :D)

Features I know of in TESO

1 equality of PVE / PVP and crafted gear - VERY DAOC

2 some sort of 3 sided persistent PVP at endgame.  Now this could be very DAOC, inversly i could be some token crapfest in the vein of TSW & SWTOR

3 a few open dungeons - DAOC / AC / EQ feature

4 lead by the nose questing - WOW CLONE FEATURE, nothing like daoc at all in daoc you just wander off and find shit, like in tes.

5 instances - WOW CLONE FEATURE - daoc has ZERO instances of any kind

6 phasing - WOW CLONE FEATURE - daoc doesn't use phasing

7 combat - not sure if this is a TES feature or a GW2 feature

8 voice over, personal story and what not - SWTOR / TSW

9 mega server bullshit - STO/TSW

10 auction house - NOT IN DAOC

Features of DAOC not in TESO

1 HOUSING

2 Big ass raids that took hundreds of people and like 6 hours to complete

3 alternative ruleset servers - FFA servers that played akin to Darkfall and coop servers that played akin to Everquest

I think there is a high chance this game will be yet another uber themepark faliure.  This wont be because they "cloned daoc" this will be because they cloned wow and made the mistake of TSW/STO/SWTOR in trying to ram a sprg peg in a mmo round hole.

I agree with everything you said, however keep in mind that TESO is investing a lot in the RvR part of the game for "endgame content", so depite all the particular differences between the two games it is more than evident that the design team had this game in their minds - especially since Matt Firor presents himself as one of the core designers of DAoC.