Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im pissed when i saw the gameplay of leaked beta footage from PAX.

Comments

• MachineowarMachineowar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I don't know why you would be angry. If you had been paying any attention at all to the recent trend of MMO's being boring themeparks trying to cash in on WoW's popularity(which isn't even all that relevent anymore, really), you'd have seen this coming. I'm sure the people burned by TOR did. Atleast I would hope so.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

yeah sadly it looks like more of the same.  I got a feeling we were in for wow like lead by the nose questing after reading the RPS preview - "As soon as I began my demo session, I did as any self-respecting Elder Scrolls fan would: abandoned all pretenses of following the main story and struck out on my own, ready to turn the world upside-down and shake it until every last crumb of adventure fell out. I pointed my Orc in one direction, and off I went.

I gave up in 20 minutes." http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/19/experiment-playing-teso-like-an-elder-scrolls-game/

so pve is like wow, not like TES (or daoc for that matter)

we've had a bunch of wow clones with a gimick

rift with its rifts

swtor with its story

aoc with its action combat

etc..

then we had wow clones with two gimicks

like tsw with its freeform progression and story

now we have a wow clone with 3 gimicks

1 equality of pve/pvp/crafting gear from daoc (i expect this to change as more raid types whine)

2 some half arsed attempt at an rvr endgame - this will be broken by the mega server, the ability to guest in other players campaigns and the ability to swap campaign for a aliance point penalty - SEE GUILDWARS 2 & TSW

3 action combat

• SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Does anyone realise that video was intentionally made to make TES look bad?

HAHA yeah no kidding, I kinda guessed that myself, obviously the player had every intention to do what he/she could to begin a smear campaign.

It worked.

I didn't think the game looked bad at all, I will have to test it myself to completely make sure I want to spend my money on this.

Now if they would just send me an invite :D

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I agree the video is made with the purpose of trashing the game.  With that said, LOTS of people are going to hate this game. Its a mmorpg and its going to play like one...like every other mmorpg that is out there.

Why did they decide to even bother when they are doing so well with single player RPGs?

Well my guess is that when they started the project it was long enough ago to where mmorpg players werent bitter entitled jerks and actually enjoyed games for entertainment.  Thats all changed and its never going back to normal.

This game will flop by this communities standards, no matter how good it is at whatever they are attempting to do.

Ill probably enjoy it a decent amount for what it is, as ive enjoyed numerous games that are "cool" to hate..while being bored to tears in most games that its "cool" to fawn over. 

Either way...this game is a bad idea, its going to hurt zenimax's reputation and i honestly see this game going into maintenance mode within 2 years.  Why would they waste rescources on a game and a community that is incapible of enjoying the fruits of their labor, even if its not the most awesomness game ever.  And we all know that can only be achieved by topping one certain game in monthly subscriptiosn, which wont ever happen since people now hate paying for entertainment.

Really bad idea to make this game, and i really would expect a LOT of development studios to stop bothering with making mmorpgs in the near future.  Market is too saturated, community cannot be pleased and will bad mouth the entire company over a mmorpg...forever too (thing theres still some failcom people who havent let AOC launch die lol)

No matter what this game does, its already been marked as a cool game to hate and trash.  Its already over for the game.  With that said i look forward to it lol...im sure the pve will be fantastic and i think no risk pvp in themeparks is the lamest activity they can offer, even if they have 3 NPC factions to pvp with... Ill play for the pve storyline and then probably move on satisfied with the purchase...

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by BrownAle
    I agree the video is made with the purpose of trashing the game.  With that said, LOTS of people are going to hate this game. Its a mmorpg and its going to play like one...like every other mmorpg that is out there.Why did they decide to even bother when they are doing so well with single player RPGs?Well my guess is that when they started the project it was long enough ago to where mmorpg players werent bitter entitled jerks and actually enjoyed games for entertainment.  Thats all changed and its never going back to normal.This game will flop by this communities standards, no matter how good it is at whatever they are attempting to do.Ill probably enjoy it a decent amount for what it is, as ive enjoyed numerous games that are "cool" to hate..while being bored to tears in most games that its "cool" to fawn over.  Either way...this game is a bad idea, its going to hurt zenimax's reputation and i honestly see this game going into maintenance mode within 2 years.  Why would they waste rescources on a game and a community that is incapible of enjoying the fruits of their labor, even if its not the most awesomness game ever.  And we all know that can only be achieved by topping one certain game in monthly subscriptiosn, which wont ever happen since people now hate paying for entertainment.Really bad idea to make this game, and i really would expect a LOT of development studios to stop bothering with making mmorpgs in the near future.  Market is too saturated, community cannot be pleased and will bad mouth the entire company over a mmorpg...forever too (thing theres still some failcom people who havent let AOC launch die lol) No matter what this game does, its already been marked as a cool game to hate and trash.  Its already over for the game.  With that said i look forward to it lol...im sure the pve will be fantastic and i think no risk pvp in themeparks is the lamest activity they can offer, even if they have 3 NPC factions to pvp with... Ill play for the pve storyline and then probably move on satisfied with the purchase... 

very much agree with most of this but i am looking forward to the pvp as i don't play online games without it.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

It looks like AoC with all them graphics turned down. I ain't complaining, skill based AoC without a FUBAR pvp endgame is a prospect that gets me hyperventilating. Can't wait for more details!

The rest of y'all have fun waiting for that mmo that you'll finally be satisfied with. :)

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by robrose89
    why do people always forget that beta is beta?

A beta hasn't meant a "beta" for a good 5 years now. Not in AAA MMORPGs. Nothing changes from the time beta testing starts until now. Nothing to make it less generic.

I agree the video is made with the purpose of trashing the game.  With that said, LOTS of people are going to hate this game. Its a mmorpg and its going to play like one...like every other mmorpg that is out there.

Er, no. It doesn't play "like every other MMORPG" it plays like a generic, watered down phoned in WoW clone.

Back in the earlier interviews, Matt had some good ideas. The DAoC styled RvR, the public dungeons, the focus on socializing. Then the publishers got their hooks into him. Now it's just a generic WoW clone. And with all the money behind it, they should be absolutely ashamed they shat out such an uninspired piece of garbage.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i still play skyrim regularly and have moded it for many enjoyable hours , I just watched the video all 19 minutes of it and it looked almost as good as skyrim to me . Played just like skyrim from the looks of it combat wise and had a decent character creater just like skyrim. Im not sure of the hate with this video? It looks like a decent game IMO and much better than some of the other more recent titles that released. I dont know about end game and there is a nda on beta so the jury is still out on late game but the video didnt do any injustice to the game imo.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Er, no. It doesn't play "like every other MMORPG" it plays like a generic, watered down phoned in WoW clone.

Back in the earlier interviews, Matt had some good ideas. The DAoC styled RvR, the public dungeons, the focus on socializing. Then the publishers got their hooks into him. Now it's just a generic WoW clone. And with all the money behind it, they should be absolutely ashamed they shat out such an uninspired piece of garbage.

Sorry I kind of skipped through it, so I am genuinely curious as to what tipped you off that these good ideas were not implemented into the game since my understanding was that this was the first few minutes of it?

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Heretique
    why do people always forget that beta is beta? Can't judge the whole game's content over a 20 minute video from beta...

Game will be released this year, what you see in beta is most of what you'll see at launch. Can't use this excuse all the time.

Maybe you don't alpha/beta test or maybe you just "test" to do dungeon runs before launch, but what you say is not true at all.

Most games optimize graphics, implement changes, and polish systems up until freeze a couple weeks before launch.  Even then they're still testing the post release patch past that.

Here's what can change from beta to launch: bugfixes, polish, optimisation, minor changes to how certain background systems operate (change skill cooldowns, jump height, swim speed and whatnot). What most people are referring to, is that the whole package will be more or less the same, with some minor changes, but not anything that completely changes aspects of the game.

Here's what will not change from beta to launch: The gameplay, the combat, the overall feel of the environments, the skills. If a game plays like a generic MMO at beta, it will play like a generic MMO at launch. Period.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
    why do people always forget that beta is beta? Can't judge the whole game's content over a 20 minute video from beta...

Game will be released this year, what you see in beta is most of what you'll see at launch. Can't use this excuse all the time.

I know someone that went and played at pax, the devs told them they are playing an old build of the game. so nope it will be different then what you saw in the video.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Its the same shit every time.

• Gameplay gets posted.
    • People see its a slightly different WoW.
    • Some people point it out.
    • Other People defend it for being beta.
    • Game comes out.
    • Game is functionally exactly what was shown in gameplay.
    • People recoil in horror and act like some huge betrayal took place.
    • People say they will never fall for this shit again.
    • Next week another gameplay video of another MMO comes out.
    • People see its a slightly different WoW.
    • Some people point it out.
    • ad nauseum

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    why do people always forget that beta is beta?

A beta hasn't meant a "beta" for a good 5 years now. Not in AAA MMORPGs. Nothing changes from the time beta testing starts until now. Nothing to make it less generic.

Indy studios still have betas.  Real betas.  People trash them for having buggy unfinished games though. 

I can think of a few games that had real betas, where stuff actually got changed.  Wasnt pretty and people who seem tolerant of indy studios leave because they dont realize how long significant changes take.

I like the current marketing hype betas, old shcool betas sucked, launches were nightmares even compared to todays "fail launch because i got disconnected" standard for a fail launch.

Dont think anyone is fooled by "well combat will improve because its beta"  no...combat is a major system that would take ages to change...combat will remain the same.

What will change between beta and now is server capacity, easy to fix bugs, easy to fix glitches, and giving them a work schedule for the nest 6 months for medium sized issues that will get fixed long after launch.

Remember they have to start developing new content as well as fixing the gripes fromt he community, more issues means leass content development means your not getting major content anytime soon if they choose to fix major systems for the community...a community who still will complain after the fixes anyway.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

This game looks awesome !!

If you expected some sandbox open world crap, then go play this indie games like darkfail...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• ChuChuTrickChuChuTrick Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I thought zenimax mentioned that the starter zone would be borderline ridiculus easy and quite possibly generic? had it be 20 minutes of leaked footage outside the starter zone...I might be a bit more concerned.
    Originally posted by shalissar

Sorry I kind of skipped through it, so I am genuinely curious as to what tipped you off that these good ideas were not implemented into the game since my understanding was that this was the first few minutes of it?

The "megaserver" kills any real chance at meaningful RvR. It also breaks the game world into a ton of instances, splitting friends up and making the world feel artificial. They also let you go to the other realm at level 50, which is moronic on so many levels.

And, all the focus is on phasing and instancing, there hasn't been a mention of the value of public dungeons in a year, so if they are even still in the game, they're not the focus anymore. You cannot have functioning public dungeons in a game loaded with instances.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

That's major bullshit, the test client does not represent the full game. You don't put out a massive client just to test specific things. Or do you happend to know what their focus tests are focusing on? Exactly.

The beta client is nowhere near the full game, every beta can look like shit and a week before release the update everything from graphics to animation to sound assest to fonts etc.

Unless you have proof of how they are working, I suggest you wait before making your judement.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    While combat itself won't change during beta

Combat sounds and animations usually get improved.

This can remove the "no weight" problem.

It's quite common to have floaty combat during early beta as the satisfying impact animations and sounds aren't in or are just simple place holders.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Maybe you can explain this then because I've seen it said so many times without much explanation. What makes it a generic WOW clone? The few quests we saw? I ask because what is explained in my recent Gameinformer sounds nothing like WOW.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    While combat itself won't change during beta

Combat sounds and animations usually get improved.

This can remove the "no weight" problem.

It's quite common to have floaty combat during early beta as the satisfying impact animations and sounds aren't in or are just simple place holders.

No way. A game with a budget this big, they would not be releasing trailers and videos if their animations weren't finished. A game like this pretty much banks on graphics because it has no meaningful gameplay.

Originally posted by Distopia

Maybe you can explain this then because I've seen it said so many times without much explanation. What makes it a generic WOW clone? The few quests we saw? I ask because what is explained in my recent Gameinformer sounds nothing like WOW.

Linear quest based leveling, heavily phased and instanced world, easy mode collect 5 whatever quests, the whole design stinks of WoW.

Now if they had actually gone and made DAoC 2, they might have at least had a good MMO. Now they have a half assed singleplayer game and a half assed MMO.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by timtrack
    An MMO that plays and looks like an MMO?!?!? OUTRAGEOUS!

SUP

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Distopia

Linear quest based leveling, heavily phased and instanced world, easy mode collect 5 whatever quests, the whole design stinks of WoW.

Now if they had actually gone and made DAoC 2, they might have at least had a good MMO. Now they have a half assed singleplayer game and a half assed MMO.

Just curious, you were able to determine how the questing is from a 20 minute (biased) leaked video of a level 1 character who only started 2 newbie quests.  One was to save 3 people and another to turn in Dwarven Relics, which he failed to do any of those quests, he also failed to successfully kill any red-conned (insta agro or hostile) mob and through this you were able to determine the whole entire quest system is linear and is similar to WoW?

Or is possible you have a preconcieved notion that the game is bad and your posts are to bash something you have no interests in playing?

SUP

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    ESO is doomed; was so right from the first announcement back in May 2003, when everyone shot it down in dismay..then they went radio silent, people thought they would rework some things...and now we get the recent leaks. There's nothing to expect fom ESO at this point, except perhaps going F2P.

It'll be like most recent MMOs I think, it'll release to fanfare and cheers, etc., sell a million copies or more and then slow down.  Well, if they're lucky anyway.  But it won't be some WoW killer everyone keeps waiting for.  Hopefully for Zenimax though, it does something way different or way better than WoW or GW2 currently does or there are already alternatives to ESO that you've already paid for and have installed.