Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Set the graphics to "very low" and realized this is the ultimate SWG NGE

2»

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by omome

I just watched Avatar with the resolution turned to lowest possible settings and boy, did it look like crap.

It really drove home how much Avatar was nothing more than Dances With Wolves in space, but hey, I watched for free, so I can't complain.

LOL!

Maybe if I turn the resolution down, squint one eye and cock my head to the side SHREK will be nothing more than the Flinstones. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Its amazing how many SWTOR fans there actually still are. I guess so long as you got the right IP you will do decent. Explains how SE has been able to sell FFXIII and the likes. 

Point being; SWTOR might have better graphics than SWG (I would hope so since they are years apart). But SWTOR will never match SWG in content and systems. Ever.

Perhaps if Bioware would of actually spent most of that budget on actual gameplay instead of VO and advertising the game wouldn't of needed to go F2P. Oh and not screwing up so bad on the engine, that would of been a plus as well.  

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by FromHell

Yesterday I got massive lag and low framerates in a warzone and for the first time I tried setting all graphics to "very low".

first of all, wow that looks butt ugly, and second.. it looked actually like 2005 SWG... but... the worlds were below SWG standards.

Went to Tattooine and the extremely ugly graphics settings showed how little gameplay mechanics there are under the hood in SWTOR.

Try it out.  It looks like SWG but with less features, less freedom and nothing to do but kill X and some voiceover cutscenes.

SWTOR desperately needs a ton of interesting mechanics in the future and new things to do.

housing, minigames, space simulation, day night cycles, dynamic NPC behaviour,  bigger more open worlds, sandbox features, player bounties, vehicle combat, animal mounts... where the heck is all this stuff?

Don't compare this game to SWG...not even NGE...not even on the same level.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Its amazing how many SWTOR fans there actually still are. I guess so long as you got the right IP you will do decent. Explains how SE has been able to sell FFXIII and the likes. 

Point being; SWTOR might have better graphics than SWG (I would hope so since they are years apart). But SWTOR will never match SWG in content and systems. Ever.

Perhaps if Bioware would of actually spent most of that budget on actual gameplay instead of VO and advertising the game wouldn't of needed to go F2P. Oh and not screwing up so bad on the engine, that would of been a plus as well.  

It's a statistical poll to see how many people in a prospective population will stay and play a very simple, cartoonish game.

Results: out of 2 million polled, 1.5 million unsubbed. 25% of users will accept the model. SW IP is probably a confounding variable.

75% quit in first 6 months.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

SWG, grumble, grumble, grumble, SWTOR, grumble, grumble, grumble. Rah, rah, grrrr.

The games actually very related, they are of the same progeny; half-siblings at least.

The good doctors were approached by former SOE developers Rich Vogel and Gordon Walton (From SWG) who pitched them the idea to abandon a Neverwinter Nights MMO, and to pitch SWTOR to LA.

LA and Rich Vogel were very much on the same wave length, and Bioware got the IP license.

Furthermore, LA and SOE came up with an aragenment that SWG would shut down before SWTOR's launch even though SOE has the license till 2012.

Rich Vogel was very much a proponent of SWG's NGE (and CU). He believed that they had made a better game, if it wasn't for that darned WoW.

With WoW on the brain, he pitched SWTOR as using WoW as a touchstone, and that's what they made.

For his part, Gordon Walton, who chose to use the Hero Engine prototype, had stated that the JTL was a bad idea, because it didn't casue a huge surge in SWG players. Walton said he believed it turned a lot of players off, though most seem to think otherwise. (THe fact that WoW launched a few months after JTL might have had something to do with that.)

The 2 pitchmen to Bioware for SWTOR were SWG refugees with WoW on the brain.

You can argue all you want that SWG pre-NGE and CU was better then SWTOR, but it won't bring it back.

If Jeff Freeman is to be believed, the developers at SWG thought the NGE was a good idea, but didn't get the marketing push it needed. (A stabbed in the back mentality that seems to have carried over to SWTOR to an extent.)

At the end of the day, post WoW, both SWG and SWTOR both tried to duplicate WoW's play structure, and both had results which underperformed expectations.

Both Bioware Austin, and SOE Austin had many of the same head developers, and lower level developers through the ranks.

It is almost a silly argument as to which is better, because in many regards, SWG post NGE and SWTOR are the same game made by the same people. Neither of the two Austin based companies were going to bring back SWG pre NGE.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

And just to throw this out there, the common denominator in the NGE and in the SWTOR greenlight was LA.

To understate it, LA has had quite a reshuffling as of late.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

It is almost a silly argument as to which is better, because in many regards, SWG post NGE and SWTOR are the same game made by the same people.

TOR and the NGE are nothing alike other than the fact they are both themepark games based on Star Wars. Combat is different, animations are different, leveling is different, crafting is different, space is different,....basically the entire experience is different. It's the reason you have so much divisivness between the two camps. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

It is almost a silly argument as to which is better, because in many regards, SWG post NGE and SWTOR are the same game made by the same people.

TOR and the NGE are nothing alike other than the fact they are both themepark games based on Star Wars. Combat is different, animations are different, leveling is different, crafting is different, space is different,....basically the entire experience is different. It's the reason you have so much divisivness between the two camps. 

lol your differences are the parts of SWG they could not change.

all the changes brought by the NGE, are simular to TOR.  done by the same people

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

I see the parallels. When they introduced the 9 (?) classes in SWG with NGE (formerly no classes at all !), they killed the prior effort of the few Jedis, and took away lots of professions and the skill system, SWG was WoWed. But some cool sandbox elements remained, the crafting also the big planets with day night cycle, the magnificent housing system and at least they added a very open space flight sim, it still felt relatively like a sandbox, but not as much as before. I liked the more active combat system though, I have to admit.

Now SWTOR is much more of a NGE than SWG ever was, it was designed as class/level theme park railroad track from the start, also manifested in the railshooter which is kind of a synonyme for the whole SWOTR experience. Also combat directly ripped off from WOW.

SWOTR = NGE 2.0 or NGE+

A de-evolution from sandbox (old SWG)->half sandbox(NGE´d SWG) -> full WoW type theme park gameplay (SWOTR)