Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which good MMOs are f2p now? Or which f2p MMOs are good?

ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191

I can't believe I, when I was a mere teenager, somehow managed to remain subscribed to WoW for such an exorbitant amount of time, shelling out $15 every month to play it. Where did I get such money? I look at my stagnating college student income, take into account the impossibility of getting a job, and realize I'll have to preserve this $137  until I join the military in the Summer. 

To put it simply, I'm no longer interested in paying large sums to acquire an enjoyment I'm not even certain of, and I'm sure many of you are in the same boat. 

So what can I do for free? 

[mod edit]

What about those other games? Like Warhammer and Age of Conan? Are those f2p? What IS f2p? Is the new Star Wars game f2p? 

I do own Warhammer and Age of Conan, mind you. Though those and WoW up to Wrath are all I have. 

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

if your looking for an MMORPG (from the sounds of it you are) Runescape is a good bet... especially since it has promise in the near future to not just be browser based but app based with the move to html5 (from what I have come to understand of it). It has about 20,000 hours of content to play through on the f2p servers.

But, I am pretty sure this thread is better suited for the LFG (looking for game) section of the forum. You might get a bigger response there.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Consuetudo

I can't believe I, when I was a mere teenager, somehow managed to remain subscribed to WoW for such an exorbitant amount of time, shelling out $15 every month to play it. Where did I get such money? I look at my stagnating college student income, take into account the impossibility of getting a job, and realize I'll have to preserve this $137  until I join the military in the Summer. 

To put it simply, I'm no longer interested in paying large sums to acquire an enjoyment I'm not even certain of, and I'm sure many of you are in the same boat. 

I recognize there are WoW private servers but those seem like empty things that are really mere shells of what the game was.. I can hardly persist in them. 

What about those other games? Like Warhammer and Age of Conan? Are those f2p? What IS f2p? Is the new Star Wars game f2p? 

I do own Warhammer and Age of Conan, mind you. Though those and WoW up to Wrath are all I have. 

A little Military wisdom.

I'm much older now, However I would suggest joining the Air Force or Marines. Here is why :

Long time ago I was in the Air Force and went to my training school after basic on a Navy base. Close to the end of training both everyone in my Navy class and I got our duty assignments the same day.  Each of them got assigned to a ship and they were pissed.  Well I got my assignment in upstate NY ( very close to home ).  Needless to say everyone was both mad and jealous. I turned to all of them to say YOU JOINED THE NAVY what did you expect ?.....Think about that !

Now I work for the Department of Defense. This is kind of like being in the Military but without the uniform. I travel around the world and work for all branches, I see it all.....I would only recommend the Air Force or the Marines, they have much higher standards and way better education and training, add that life is much better.

Last I would say, If your going this summer I would drop the Video games and I phones NOW....The withdraw will be very bad in Basic Training............I would also suggest running five miles a day and be able to do a lot of pushups if you Join the Army or Marines. Your life would be soooo much easer in Boot camp :)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I would say that EQ 2 and AOC  are the best F2P mmo's now.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    They have list here on mmorpg.com with hundredrs of F2P mmo's try some should be one that suited your taste.
  • suizendosuizendo Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Age of Conan,  easily the top f2p mmo. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, different era back then... nowadays you can't throw a rock without hitting at least one f2p mmo :) (or freemium, or b2p)

AoC is a nice choice, it's free up to the cap (with a gold limit and less inventory), but you cannot access the Godslayer content.

If you aren't an anti-Cryptic player, STO and CO are also free all the way, and at the endgame you can buy what you need for Zen you acquired by playing. For a newcomer maybe those are the most free titles among freemium games. Probably same would apply Neverwinter when it will go live.

TSW is a nice choice too, it's b2p (but it's cheap and you can even buy the box on sale sometimes), above that box price it's free. There are additional content (like DLC's) if you like extra missions and storyline.

GW2 also b2p but I don't play it so don't know the exact influence of the gems and the gem store there :)

LotRO has a decent model, but only for former subscribers, as a newcomer it's pretty limited.

And the list could go on forever... :)

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    i dont play f2p.. everythime i try f2p game i play it max one week.. only b2p or p2p playing longer.. but if Warhammer comes f2p i maybe play it a lot.. but there is nothing new in this game so..
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Everquest is the top mmorpg that is free to play. You will not find a more free game anywhere that gives you the amount of options Everquest does. Also know that Everquest blasts Everquests 2 population bigtime. Join the server Vox! You wont be dissappointed!  https://www.everquest.com/
  • seculalucianseculalucian Member Posts: 1

Best now is http://www.pathofexile.com/, but I hardly recommand Neverwinter in 30 April comes http://nw.perfectworld.com/.

I buyed Nevewinter for 60 bucks, but its free on 30 April, 25 April its the launch date:)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

TERA ... As I hear there is almost no limitation.

Also Vanguard if you are looking for EQ type game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Also know that Everquest blasts Everquests 2 population bigtime.

That's interesting. Do you have a source for that?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I recognize there are WoW private servers but those seem like empty things that are really mere shells of what the game was.. I can hardly persist in them. 

This weekend is a free trial for Guild Wars 2, so you can at least give that a try for no cost. If you like it, you'll be expected to purchase the game, but there's no subscription. It's well worth a look.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

TERA ... As I hear there is almost no limitation.

Also Vanguard if you are looking for EQ type game.

Besides being able to control your character while performing an attack.

DO HO HO!

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

There are some other free to play games.

Istaria:Chronicles of the Gifted: free to play, no cash shop. Free players get only one race (Human) and are not entitled for a plot of land. Every other thing is open to them.

Lord of the rings online: free to play, while some things are restrained - and can be unlocked by using Turbine points (stuff you get for doing quests and tasks, like kill 30 spiders / 240 Angmarim). Some options available only to those who paid or are paying. Some regions are to be bought for cash or in-game currency.

In those two games you don't have to spent a penny and still have fun.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I was never into the F2P MMO's but I have started playing Lord of the Rings Online and Age of Conan again and have to admit that they are quite good as F2P and have dabbled in Star Trek Online and TERA which both seem to be worthy of spending time and effort in.

Also I have dabbled with Age of Wushu and Champions Online which were OK but nothing spectacular but I would say to avoid SWTOR F2P as it is the most limited of it's kind out there.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Iv'e read on this thread EQ2 and AOC for likely the best free to play MMORPG's out there? In my mind not a chance:

Runescape world record for most popular free to play MMORPG.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/7000/most-popular-free-mmorpg

And one for most prolifically updated.
    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/6000/most-prolifically-updated-mmorpg

Weekly Behind the scenes videos Talking with the mods and monthly live streams, Huge holiday event contests, sub-divded team who's sole job it is to scour the forums and gather player feed back, garunteed content polls, and big events surrounding any significant update.

http://www.youtube.com/user/runescape

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/

27 skills that are actual skills to train in their own right (you want armor? you can go mine the ores, smelt them, and smith them into the armor you want...each stage granting experience to a skill).

tons of team based mini-games with rewards that effect normal play. plus many so termed distractions and diversions for pass the time entertainment, and ways to customize your look that go above and beyond.

Questing that is not all kill and collect bs (as in you have to nagotiate with NPC's, solve riddles and puzzles, disarm traps, pay attention to story lines, navigate mazes, collect special materials to create special items, repair machines etc. etc.)

The Runescape team has been sinching up things and continuing to improve the game environment post the evolution of combat update, are continously revamping, voice acting, and most of all preparing for the move to HTML 5 and what it will bring (epic draw distances, richer textures, true climate effects, not to mention more high fedelity sound with full composition scores).

...I can't think of a dev team or by extension a game that is more 'on top of it'.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

STO is pretty good if you like star trek.

DDO is pretty good but graphics is a bit dated.

There is a new game called Warframe. 3rd person gun/melee action combat. I like it.

• ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63
    April 30 Neverwinter online looks pretty cool , better than D3 !
  • StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77

I've played basically all of the F2P games - my advice is to try Path of Exile as it was by far the best one I've played (keep in mind, words like "best" are very subjective and opinionated).  :)

I tried AoC but couldn't stand playing it after the first 20 levels.... the combat is brilliant though - I really enjoy that aspect of it.

EQ/EQ2 just feels way too dated for me, same with DDO and Vanguard.

GW2 is a very good game but you have to buy the box, no sub fees though (does have a cash shop which is 100% optional).

LOTRO is a very good, well thought out game but for some reason I could never get into it. I can't put my finger on why that is, something about it I don't personally like. 

DCUO isn't a bad F2P game if you like comic book style / action oriented games - you can also play this on PC or PS3 if that's your preference (note, servers don't overlap so you can't transfer between them).

Stay far away from SWTOR. I was a huge fanboi when the game was still in production but what a huge disappointment. I wont get into it here, but making it "free to play" made it even worse IMO. It's so restrictive, so much time wasted there just moving around, trying to get your starship, etc. Other parts of the game are very good and it runs very smooth but personally IMHO it was WoW with lightsabers and felt pretty terrible after about level 30 or so..... again, my opinion. 

Aion is now free to play and the grind to the top isn't as bad as it used to be, but I personally think you'd be better off investing time into one of the above instead. 

TERA also now went free to play and it looks very promising, I haven't played it enough to really comment (the camera/movement/angles are ... odd to me ... but I think that's just because Im not used to it) :) Overall it looks good, and I've heard very good things about it.

There's a TON of choices right now on F2P games. Pick a few you think sound interesting, check out their product features and then download one to give it a try. What you like might not be the same things I like.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Claum
    April 30 Neverwinter online looks pretty cool , better than D3 !

I will reserve my judgment about that before i play NWO. However, it certainly looks good enough to try.

Originally posted by Stayonboard

I've played basically all of the F2P games - my advice is to try Path of Exile as it was by far the best one I've played (keep in mind, words like "best" are very subjective and opinionated).  :)

I also like PoE. That is worth at least a try.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

My experience with MMOs is that if they release as a F2P game from the start, they are probably really bad games. There was one exception, but they insisted on rooting your machine in order to play the game. The game was Neo Steam, and it closed not too long after it released as a F2P game. Not sure why it closed, but I like to think it was because of the ridiculous "security" the publisher required for playing the game. I know the quality of the game and the payment model are two separate things, but in my experience, there is a correlation.

As far as games that were subscription, but went free to play, kind of the same thing, only not nearly as bad. The games are better, but most of those games are games I never intended to play anyway, but for reasons that have nothing to do with the payment model.

My best experience has been had with games that are buy to play, even if they start life as subscription games. Global Agenda (was B2P, now F2P), Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World were all worth buying. I spent money on the "boxes" and feel that I got my money's worth. Not so with most subscription games.

I do think the free part of SWToR is a good deal if you are at all interested in the game. I do not think SWToR has good game play, but the solo story content is pretty good, especially for free.

** edit **

If Picaroon had not disappeared, I would recommend it as a F2P game. The developer still has the website, so hopefully it'll return.

Fallen Earth, if you like the game play is well worth playing. The game has some time under its belt and the cash shop doesn't seem at all restrictive.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    World of Tanks and Path of Exile are pretty good and Fallen Earth if you like to have some more depth in your game.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Im going to shut this thread down with the single best Free 2 play UP TO DATE MMO out there right now.

And that is simple PLANETSIDE 2, period.

It came out Nov 2012.  Great graphics, fun game play, lots of people online and it can be played completly free. 

Negatives is that you need a good computer and it does have its share of bugs and hackers.  But SOE does a decent job addressing the hackers but you can't get them alll I guess.  Even though I wish they would.

While Planetside 2 is not exactly like the orginal (lacks a meta game) it still is a AAA MMO with very good gameplay and graphics and will give you hours of enjoyment.  And I will say one very good positive is that this DEVELOPMENT team does listen to feedback from it's community.  Various changes have been put in and will be put in (lattice system on test server right now) as a direct result of them listening to fan feedback.

Gameplay footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tGaTwk1mG0

Come give it a try, it's free!   https://www.planetside2.com/

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Tinybinat.  And I will say one very good positive is that this DEVELOPMENT team does listen to feedback from it's community.  Various changes have been put in and will be put in (lattice system on test server right now) as a direct result of them listening to fan feedback.

Come give it a try, it's free!   https://www.planetside2.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrl8WP6b2no

Thats the day when Planetside 2 died.Not sure if its a good idea to listen whiner community.

I left the game when i heard  about that and back then i was hoping that hackers are getting dealed with but it seems like they are still present and rolling too.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **