Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Respawn Entertainment trademarks 'Titan'

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Not sure if it has ANYTHING at all to do Blizzards TITAN

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Hmm... if Blizzard is smart, they're calling it "Titan" right now as a code name for this very reason... preventing people from grabbing trademarks, web URLs and all that in attempts to make a quick buck selling those resources to Blizzard. I'd be willing to bet there's a secret name not "leaked" to the public that will be the actual name, and when they're ready they'll start grabbing those resources which will clue the public in to the actual name.  "Hey, Blizzard just trademarked "Time Orcs'! " 

Just a guess.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Titan is obviously a codename for a project. Every other company does that when they speak of work in progress to the public unless they have all fronts covered for cases like this.

This is someones bright idea to try and make profit with cheap methods and is a very good example of why codenames are used.

Now then I wonder what will Nvidia have to say for this.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    "Titan" is a code name for Blizzard's project not the name of the finished project, so this indivdual has claim to his Trademark "Titan" which will not effect Blizzard's upcoming MMO title. When Blizz announces the new upcoming title of the code named Titan it will switch over to the true IP.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Titan is just code name for project. Something people call it internaly to avoid people acidentally revealing project existance.

I guess name "Titan" comes from pure megalomania on side of Blizzard.

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144

Not that I particularly care, but what if the codename has to do with the game? Not necessarily it's "final" name, but given the "leak" about time travel and the name Titan, perhaps we could infer that the game may have something to do with the titans ala Greek mythology? Chronos, the father of time, was a titan.

If that leak proves true, it might not be megalomania after all.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Could Titan's real name be Adolescent Mutant Samurai Tortoises?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Respawn entertainment is a proper development group backed by EA.. this isn't some individual trying to get a quick buck. They are probably making a game called Titan.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Titan is just code name for project. Something people call it internaly to avoid people acidentally revealing project existance.I guess name "Titan" comes from pure megalomania on side of Blizzard.
    Or its just Blizzard taking names from Greek mythology.

Diablo 3 was Project Hydra and Starcraft 2 was Project Medusa.

Respawn Entertainment is headed by the former 2 main guys of Infinity Ward and became popular with Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat. They left Activision and went to EA.

So, yeah, "Titan" will be a First Person Shooter published by EA. Not interested.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Firstly... any proof of authenticity on that document? I mean it doesn't have any real info on it (as in who it is filed with and where, or any kind of instruction footnotes, which these usually have). I don't take things like that at face value.

The only Tradmarked use of titan I could find in US patents and trademarks office search regarding an entertainment company was this one... http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4008:izp2lh.2.2

(seems basically the same?).

The listed forms don't look like that (in appearence or the information they call for), and the application forms don't either (that type of designation isn't even an option).

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Dexter2010
    Could Titan's real name be Adolescent Mutant Samurai Tortoises?

Adolescent Transmuted Samurai Tortoises

Fixed. :P

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

you can trademark a single dictionary word now?

I'm going to hurry and trademark about 2,000 words, brb.

you can trademark words from the dictionary yes...within your state/province, for a limited duration of time, for a purpose, with terms so open it only applies to a specific logo. Trademarks are not papers of ownership on words...they are registration of the mark you are operating under for your trade in your area.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Remember when we actually just played games instead of looking up shareholder meeting transcripts and copyright applications?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

You can only trademark something for a specific purpose.  No one but Microsoft can make an operating system called Windows, but companies that sell glass can call it windows without infringing on Microsoft's trademark.

You an trademark a specific name of a game, but presumably they wouldn't be able to prevent others from using the word Titan in their game name, considering that some games already do.  Without even leaving this site:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/826/Realm-of-the-Titans.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/894/The-Lost-Titans.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/836/Titan-Siege.html

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Slampig

Remember when we actually just played games instead of looking up shareholder meeting transcripts and copyright applications?

That was only because we didn't have access to look it up, as there wasn't anything like the modern Internet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Usually trademark infringment (that is persuable in some sort of judicial or mediary setting) is over actual confusion as to distinguishing between business'.

Like Quizzical said...Can't make an operating system called Windows or an operating system called VVindows.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i think there is something there but not quite what you think.

Blizzard is kind of famous for hiring other developers to do work for them but in this case i would say no.

The reason is that Respawn is under license to EA and they do not get along.

They had that whole law suit over the COD franchise.

This is probably a case of EA trying to annoy Activision by securing the rights to the title "TITAN".

ALl it measn is that the game will not be called Titan.

However being the founders of the COD franchise,this Titan game might be worth checking out,when it comes out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well i think there is something there but not quite what you think.

Blizzard is kind of famous for hiring other developers to do work for them but in this case i would say no.

The reason is that Respawn is under license to EA and they do not get along.

They had that whole law suit over the COD franchise.

This is probably a case of EA trying to annoy Activision by securing the rights to the title "TITAN".

ALl it measn is that the game will not be called Titan.

However being the founders of the COD franchise,this Titan game might be worth checking out,when it comes out.

And once gain the biggest jerks in the gaming industry are...*drum roll*...EA games! yay -_-

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i see where this is going. If Respawn Entertainment has nothing to do with Blizzard i can see them trademarking Titan just to sue Blizz for using it as a codename and get some quick cash.... Yes, people are that dumb sometimes, so it is a possibility.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Titan is just code name for project. Something people call it internaly to avoid people acidentally revealing project existance.

I guess name "Titan" comes from pure megalomania on side of Blizzard.

Or its just Blizzard taking names from Greek mythology.

Diablo 3 was Project Hydra and Starcraft 2 was Project Medusa.

Respawn Entertainment is headed by the former 2 main guys of Infinity Ward and became popular with Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat. They left Activision and went to EA.

So, yeah, "Titan" will be a First Person Shooter published by EA. Not interested.

You are probably right.

At my company they are crazy about star wars , so every project is called "Joda" , "Skywalker" etc.

I even started calling projects of my team by names of Westeros families just to tease them.