Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoyed this amazing game that is... until today

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Been saying this since pre-launch, but if you're so accustomed to being special and sought-after primarily due to your class, then this "No holy trinity" system will leave a bitter taste in your mouth. For me this works so well because Ive always been the DPS type. I always used to be last in priority. In this game we're all equally important.

This ^

GW2 is definitely one of those games where if you want to 'stand out' you need to do it on your own merits. I think part of the problem is that soo many games basically pat gamers on the back for doing nothing. Heck, look at some of the achievements we have in a lot of games 'hurray! you installed the game! what a total badass you are!', or 'your the best soldier on the planet, because you're able to kill an army of underpowered enemies funnelled down corridors where they can't outmatch you!'.

Furthermore, being actually good at your class does make you stand out. Being that mesmer or theif that outlasts your party, because you outplayed them usually earns you some props. I still run into newer players who picked up the game, and just pickup a cookie-cutter build expecting to dominate everything, only to blame the game when that doesn't work. It's definitely a mentallity issue.

OK, So, how's this done? Let's put the forum experts aside. Yes, there are players who've been successful at setting up Youtube channels and have successful blogs, but let's keep this to within the game itself.

Who are the most famous players on the servers? Those who are well known? On my server, it's fairly limited to Wv3 Commanders. You can make or break your reputation with a commander tag in WV3. But, without the Commander Tag, you are a nobody. No one is known for content progression.  Ther's just no way to make a name for yourself in GW2 within the PVE content itself.  hHere are a few exceptions. We have a well known Bell Ringers in LA who can play Christmas Carols and the Zelda theme. There's also a few recognized Map Chat trolls. There are a few guild leaders that became known for their antics, but overall, with the exception of the bell ringer, being known in in the game (outside Wv3) is not a good thing.

I say this as a fan. I enjoy this game every day. I'm OK with the way it is, It doesn't bother me, but that doesn't mean the OP is wrong.

Leaderboards.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Tonin109

what is the meanning of your thread?

after 6 month of fun you say "hey there is no trinity, there is no 2hand axe for my warrior... ok i quit the game"

the holy trinity is one of the most boring thing in any combat imo

why ? just look at WoW combat people are just standing in one place and spam skills ... this is fun ......

i dont understand why people need to feel  "i'm the greatest healer or dpser or tanker"

I agree here. The problem with the trinity is it doesn't allow for any, here it comes, SOCIALIZING!!! Why you may ask? It has to do with the fact that the roles are so defined, you don't have to coordinate or chat, just - DPS. PEW, PEW; DPS - hold aggro; healers (self explanatory). It is pretty mindless really.

UO and others didn't have the trinity mechanic so why people are so fixated on it is beyond me. They worked, so the trinity is not the only mechanic that works.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

to me GW2 is not an MMO, but simply short console game you can play online too.
    it last like 3 months, after his period you have nothing or very few to do and got bored.

I stopped even log there and found I made a bad choice by starting this game, especially with large choice of premium MMO we can play for free, at least same time as GW2.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I felt the exact same way around november 2012, i quit playing for about 2 months as a result. When i returned, i decided that i had to make a character feel the way i wanted.... as the game will not do this for you.

So when you get bored of all the other mmos as you realise that despite this huge flaw in gw2 its still the best MMORPG around right now, and return, I recommend you make the class you play feel the way you want, save the greataxe of course.

Make the warrior use a greatsword and sword/shield and trait into defense and power.. He will feel like as much a Warrior as is possible, also a Hammer is a great choice as well.

Also reccomend posting this thread on the GW2 forums.

Hope you find your way back, or find a game that fullfills your needs.

Peace.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

~ OP

So in 90 minutes you went from feeling the game was the greatest game out there, to deciding to not play anymore?  And now you need other people to tell you it's ok?

Lets think of some comparible examples.

"I love the burgers here. Best burgers on the planet!  Could I get a double super burger please!"

"Yes sir! Would you like fries with that?"

"sure, and could I get a coke too please!"

"Pepsi ok?"

"I'm not hungry, cancel my order"

Later on    "hey guys, it wasn't wrong for me to leave right, I mean you guys understand I just don't like Pepsi right?"

or

"Oh G-G, this is going to be the best day EVER! We've got daddy's car, and daddy's credit card and then it's off to the beach for boys, Boys, BOYS!!!!   YAY!!!!!"

"wait! You're not going to wear your gucci handbag are you? I mean, I am wearing my gucci handbag and I have to be an individual, because Tony likes individuals!"

"You have to take it off!! G-G!!! You insufferable cow!"

"oh yes I DID Bitch!"

"Thats it, shopping is OFF!!!"

"Selene, you think it's G-G's fault right?"

So yeah. I guess I think that your post is a sign that maybe you should evaluate yourself, and I would suggest not asking others to judge the validity of your actions. That is a personal endeavor.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

These forums never cease to amaze me.

By the way some are railing against the OP you would think he trashed the game or slammed the community.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Sorry but you kinda remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnSGrrWMjQg

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Good post OP,

I ran a guild as well, my experiance happened with the release quitences (or however you spell it armor ) with minor but increased stats. When this happened those threads pop'd up all over the place here and on the offical forums. I really attempted to look past this new grind but it took the whole meaning out of the game. What REALLY ended it for me was what you described. As much as people seem to praise not having the holy trinity, the reason that works is for group play. Solo play not so much, but in group play you really feel like you have a true role.

Don't take me wrong, guild wars 2 does have roles per say, a tank will never out damage say a thief but in essense each one excels at one bit and does all the rest. In this there is no uniqueness beyond that core ability and adding surgar coating to the rest to make it just a bit different.

People knocked many of us that left for these reasons and the mass give away of free trials on MMORPG shows where this game is headed. No doubt a population will remain like in all games, I just don't see it as main stream. In any case there are hopes on the horizon but not for sometime. Good post and I agree with many parts of it.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Calintz333

First of all there is a lot to love about this game. The graphics, music, questing, dungeons, dynamic events, cooperative atmosphere and fantastic community make this one of the best mmorpg games I have ever played. I have enjoyed my time in Guild wars 2 for over 6 months now leveling both Mesmer and Thief to 80, spending hundreds of hours in the game's immersive and dynamic PvE / PvP content.

I believe that this is by far one of the best mmorpg games developed to date hands down.

With all of the above said,  in a matter of 90 minutes I went from being an officer to a guild of 104 players,doing WvW  and leveling my alt characters to deciding to uninstall the game and likely leave for a very long period of time.

Now I am sure that everyone here is going to likely find my reasons for feeling the need to leave the game so spontaneously a bit bizarre and maybe just plain nuts; but the following two reasons for leaving hit me so hard and so fast that I simply lost every little bit of motivation to play the game. I went from wanting to advance my character and kicking butt in PvP to wanting nothing to do with the game all in a matter of minutes.

While having a great time leveling my newly created warrior today with a few of my guild members we decided to go to the vendors to sell and upgrade our gear / loot. When I arrived at the vendor I looked through the weapons list eager to get my hands on a very particular type of weapon. To my surprise this weapon was not only unavailable, but didn't actually exist in the game! What I am  referring to is the two handed axe or Greataxe. Now I do not know how in the world I played the game for over 6 months and world cleared two characters to 80 without noticing this weapon was missing in the game. I immediately started feeling a very powerful sense of disconnect with my character, but I played along as if nothing was wrong all the while a heavy feeling of dissonance was taking hold within me. After about 30 min I began to notice that I didn't really feel like a warrior should feel in a game, or at least how I believe a warrior should feel. I was not using the quintessential warrior weapon! (e.g., I felt like a ranger would if he didn't have the option to choose a longbow as a weapon, only crossbows, short bows, and throwing weapons)  — needless to say I just wasn't enjoying myself so I decided to go back to playing on my Mesmer. After about 15 min of playing on my Mesmer it hit me... I don't feel any different playing with a Mesmer vs. a Thief, vs. a Warrior, it all feels the same.

Now don't get the wrong idea, I don't mean the play style which is drastically different, I mean the inherent need to belong, the need to have a job, the feeling of being a necessary part of a cohort group of individuals. In my opinion this game lacks that feeling despite being such an immensely cooperative game. Everyone is a healer, everyone can do damage, everyone can essentially do everything.... that in turn makes me feel like anything I do has no purpose, no meaning, no real significance. I didn't notice it before but this beautifully crafted game suddenly felt as hollow as a Christmas sphere. The game felt like a shell, and suddenly, my entire perception and experience changed. Everything felt empty.  

And so, I left. Just like that, I explained how I felt to my guild...naturally everyone was shocked. I ran the website for the guild and gave all of the necessary information to the GM so that she could appoint someone else to run it. I said my goodbyes and left.

Why am I posting here?

I have no idea, maybe I just want to hear what you guys have to say about my experience.

I still feel a very huge sense of emptiness when I think of GW2. There is no denying the fact  that I loved the game for 6+ months. I was committed to the game, helped to run my own guild, had spent over 800 hours playing, and had formed a very successful WvW / PvE circle of close friends. The game was an absolutely phenomenal ride while I felt fulfilled, but once I started to really think about the game, once I started to think about my role, my class, my decisions, my choices, I began to realize how little it all mattered. In traditional mmos If I played a healer the entire guild would celebrate (healers are always needed) if I played a Warrior or a Tank I knew that I was responsible for keeping my group alive. It brought about a sense of duty and yes even pride after a successful dungeon run.  All of these things feel missing from Guild Wars 2. What is surprising is that it took me that long to realize it. I guess I was too busy having fun with the game to notice it. It wasn't until that particular moment where I wanted to equip a Great Axe as a warrior and noticed it was not in the game that I began to think about the game's  limitations and discovered how I felt.

So what do you guys think?

Am I nuts?

Are my conclusions legitimate in your opinion?

Has anything like this ever happened to you guys?

I would love to get a discussion going about this because I am really quite perplexed about the whole experience.

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Thanks. 

Simply put, you "hit the wall" with GW2. In my experience, if an MMO has held your interest for any real amount of time and then you "hit the wall", it's usually just a sign that you need a break, rather than that you need to quit the game. In the past when AAA MMOs were subscription based, this meant hitting the cancel button. There is no cancel button and there is no need to uninstall the game. Just take a break.

I can also tell you that being an officer or leader of a guild can be taxing and twice in my 14 years of MMO gaming I've had to walk away from a guild, but have been able to return to the game with out those responsibilities and have fun.

One thing about hitting the wall, if you aren't familiar with the experience you can find yourself confused as to why you suddenly have lost motivation to keep playing. You can also find yourself grasping at straws for a reason and amplifying a minor flaw way out of proportion in order to explain your changed feelings. Case in point, no 2H Axes. Now is that really a rational reason to toss aside a game you've enjoyed for six months? Of course not. You've just hit the wall.

Take a break. Play something completely different or take a little break from gaming to read a few books or catch up on other forms of media. Go for a walk, join a gym. What ever. In days, weeks or even months you may feel like playing GW2 again and there is a better than fair chance when you do so you'll find you like it again. You won't have to wonder why your feelings for the game have changed, because you will know - "I just hit the MMO wall".

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Well said OP and I pretty much agree with you for the most part. I have been playing again lately doing almost exclusively WvW but I have really only played off and on since getting my first toon to 80 and finishing map completion. I log on whenever theres new content to check out of course but that usually lasts a day if even that. Only thing thats kept me really logging in lately is the forum trolls from the servers we are fighting in WvW lol. Is great fun putting them in their place on the battlefield while they cry and talk their smack on the forums hehe. On top of what the OP said though theres a few other issues that make the game pretty blah for me anymore like no real progression at max lvl other than grinding for gear to play dressup with our characters and change the way they look and the fact that nothing but your environment really changes from lvl30-80 making alts extremely boring for me after having seen all the environments. Either way though thats just me and everyone has their own preferred style of games so to each their own :)

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Bi-Polar Great Axe!
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by eyelolled

~ OP

So in 90 minutes you went from feeling the game was the greatest game out there, to deciding to not play anymore?

It's the famous hitting the wall syndrome, sometimes it creeps up on you slowly and sometimes It hits you hard.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Really? For instance, how many PC-RPG rely on a trinity system? Skyrim? Oblivion? Neverwinter Nights? The old Ultima series? Icewind Dale? Baldur's Gate?

I was more refering the over-emphasis on stat progression and mechanics, min-maxing if you will, that later RPGs seemed to focus on at the cost of world-building.

You are right though, that is a development that more likely came out of MMORPGs and influenced offline games, not the other way around.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    Originally posted by Tinybina

I'm going to keep this short in sweet but this was the biggest reason why I never played GW2.  

The lack of the "Holy trinity" in a MMO is just not the type of MMO I want to play. 

So while I would find it a little wierd that it took you this long for it to hit you, I can complelety understand why you left.

This. As much as people rail agianst "Holy Trinity" in PvE MMO space, it's really the only model that works.

Fascinating. Couldn't disagree more. The most fun I had in trinity-based MMOs was always when the trinity was broken, either intentionally through special fight mechanics, or unintentionally through bad pulls or people messing up. Those are the moments when you actually need to play, when you need to think, strategize on the spot, utilize the full arsenal of your characters abilities, interact with your party. When the trinity is in place, everyone knows exactly what to do at all times, and it repeats with every fight. That's not particularly interesting for a long time.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I'm going to keep this short in sweet but this was the biggest reason why I never played GW2.  

The lack of the "Holy trinity" in a MMO is just not the type of MMO I want to play. 

So while I would find it a little wierd that it took you this long for it to hit you, I can complelety understand why you left.

This. As much as people rail agianst "Holy Trinity" in PvE MMO space, it's really the only model that works.

This is interesting. So you say that very successful multiplayer games and MMOs that don't support trinity are "wrong" and don't work, huh? Let me throw you some names. Diablo, Ultima Online, Monster Hunter, Tera...

Holy trinity is not bad concept... but it's quite lazy concept. It's very easy to design your boss fights around holy trinity. On the other hand you force players to bring pretty much same compositions of team... WoW makes it blatantly obvious. Even if you were hybrid class like druid, you were still holed into one of the trinity roles and you being hybrid was meaningless.

I always said holy trinity fights are sort of strategy fights... find out strategy (or rather read it somewhere) and execute it. There are no deviations and if there is a deviation, it more often than not results in wipe of whole group.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

While I did not comepletely quit, I had the same disconnect with my main. I always play rogue type characters, and the Thief's terrible cloaking mechanic is almost a show stopper for me.

Every rogue type class hating player praised Arenanet for it. They whimper that real cloaking can't be done fairly, but that is pure unadulterated crap.

So the game, while cool in many ways, just does not keep my attention for very long. I do play, but in very short sessions maybe once a week or so.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

after reading the OP and some of the responses i felt i wasted so much time fo my life on this forum ...

and well thanks i wont even read again anything here and this will be my last post

lol

i would like to type more, but they would be offensive ..!

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by dumpcat

While I did not comepletely quit, I had the same disconnect with my main. I always play rogue type characters, and the Thief's terrible cloaking mechanic is almost a show stopper for me.

Every rogue type class hating player praised Arenanet for it. They whimper that real cloaking can't be done fairly, but that is pure unadulterated crap.

So the game, while cool in many ways, just does not keep my attention for very long. I do play, but in very short sessions maybe once a week or so.

People playing the usual "WoW rogue" type of characters with overpowered stealth and escape abilities, and who enjoy waiting for the weak lone player so they can gank him from stealth and kill him with zero risk for sure won't enjoy GW2 much.

Rogue has been gimped for a long time in WoW, one of the weakest classes damage wise. They are much better now, but still far from OP. Well except they have ST, which I don't don't like as it seems un-Rogue like.

WoW is not the only game that has true stealth either lol. I play about 9 MMO's currently, and have played almost every title I can find, so it is not just  WoW factor. Rogue style play has been my favorite for about 10 years of MMO gaming.

I do like GW2, but I feel a disconnect with my main (thief). I do howver like the warrior and ranger type classes in the game, so as for warrior gameplay/weapons etc... I disagree with the OP.  However, I can relate to the disconnect, just with a different class.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I did enjoy GW2 with my first two characters. After I had capped their levels and explored every corner of the world I felt that I had nothing left to do. Sure you can do the WvW and crafting for the guild. Solve all the puzzles and so on. But for me it ended there, I felt that GW2 is a dumbed down MMO that has no depth to the game play. Sadly most MMO's released in this modern time with so much more tools to create a MMO that has depth, meaning and a long term goal. Most of the time it do not present any real challanges to the players, and lack the proper lore. So I have gone back in time and play old MMO's that have all that. And the only new MMO that I really enjoy is The Secret World.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

This cant be serious.

Played a game all this time and had a great deal of fun and suddenly cant play it because a weapon type is missing for an alt...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Fascinating. Couldn't disagree more. The most fun I had in trinity-based MMOs was always when the trinity was broken, either intentionally through special fight mechanics, or unintentionally through bad pulls or people messing up. Those are the moments when you actually need to play, when you need to think, strategize on the spot, utilize the full arsenal of your characters abilities, interact with your party. When the trinity is in place, everyone knows exactly what to do at all times, and it repeats with every fight. That's not particularly interesting for a long time.

Name the game that works with. I'll bet youin some form a trinity exists in which defined roles are established, though it might be the more 'old school' trinity then the 'Heal/Tank/DPS' one we generalize into. GW2 has issues with its gameplay since theres very little strategy at all really applied that can be done. That 'strategy' ends up being "you go this, you go this" leading to a Support(heal)/CC(Tank)/DPS choice. Its basically the trinity being at play once again though in a watered down and much more rough manor... which is a big reason why dungeons in GW2 can be quite a mess. 

To have planning and strategy involved, particularly with a team, it requires a system in place like the trinity, otherwise its got to either be dumbed down. You might not realize it, but it exists. Your still doing the same roles and sure you can change it up and do special things at times, but that can be applied to games following the trinity like RIft as I might need to CC as a dps in some fights or a healer might need to tank and so on. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by JasonJ

This cant be serious.

Played a game all this time and had a great deal of fun and suddenly cant play it because a weapon type is missing for an alt...

You can't be serious, someone not reading the OP and commenting as if they had!

They stated about it feeling all the same to play, not that a certain 'weapon type' is missing. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by JasonJ

This cant be serious.

You can't be serious, someone not reading the OP and commenting as if they had!

They stated about it feeling all the same to play, not that a certain 'weapon type' is missing. 

A lecture from the White Knight of Tera.....the fearless defender of  any critical post or negative rhetoric  on the fanbois GW2 boards.The OP came to have  the feelings he has about GW2 after an extended play period of some months , a game that was a real crapfest like Tera gave me those feelings after a weekend .I try and keep an open mind about any MMO out there and if I don't like a game I just move on .....just a steady stream of negative posts like a broken record grows a little trying after about 9 months .

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Naqaj

~snip~

For me to plan and strategize, when playing with a team, I require a system in place like the trinity, 

~snip~

clarified that for you.

Some people are completely unable to think outside of the box. It's not their fault, and I don't want to imply that it makes them less of a person in any way.  

Now I'm not trying to say that anyone in particular is of lesser intelligence, but all types play video games / mmorpgs and some people have no problems adapting to new strategies and game mechanics.  Some people that excel at being able to meet new challenges and figure new things out, might not excel at other challenges though so it probably balances out.

When a person can't  understand something, it's easier for their brain to say it doesn't exist.  I think this is what causes a large percentage of players to have problems breaking out of the "trinity" mindset.  They don't immediately understand how it could be possible, so they start off thinking that it's not possible instead of thinking about how to make it possible.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.