Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the series premire of the show is it going to bring in more players for the game?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Just a simple poll and your thought if you like.

I feel yes I think the show tonight will bring in more players. Just for the simple reason is that Defiance is a breath of fresh air for a sci fi show. It is something that we have not seen for me anyways since BattleStar.

Comments

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Based on the human mentality I am sure that through the millions of game advertisments we will see in the commercials during the Pilot episode they will catch atleast some new players. 

As for the people that are on the fence, one episode will be enough for some of them, but there will still be a few that hold out until they see if there is a second season not understanding that the game will go on even if the show doesn't. 

I got lucky enough to see the show last Saturday and if I was on the fence about buying the game I probablly would have fold and bought it with in minutes of the end of the TV show because I was left wanting more. 

I almost feel sad for the people that are buying it late, they will miss probablly miss that whole first mission in the game. 

Not so nice guy!

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    doubt people will rush out to buy it in masses after the first episode but surely more people will start to drop in due to liking the show, how many? Can't say.
    Originally posted by dlld
    doubt people will rush out to buy it in masses after the first episode but surely more people will start to drop in due to liking the show, how many? Can't say.

432.8 people exactly 18 minutes after the end of the first episode. 263.5 more with in an hour of that.

Not so nice guy!

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

lets say if you are expecting show on the line of Stargate or Battlestar Gallactica or others you will be disappointed.

Looks like b budgeted , fx efects were cartoonish , charctaer depth - cough cough.

It ok but i dont think it will bring in players on the contrary the game will bring in viewers for the show.

Originally posted by sassoonss

lets say if you are expecting show on the line of Stargate or Battlestar Gallactica or others you will be disappointed.

Looks like b budgeted , fx efects were cartoonish , charctaer depth - cough cough.

It ok but i dont think it will bring in players on the contrary the game will bring in viewers for the show.

What I watched, and what you watched must have been completely different shows, because the one I watched was amazing. 

So how does the star rating on these forums work? I notice that you have twice as many post as me, but only 1 star.....

Not so nice guy!

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by sassoonss

Oh people will fit in just fine then, since 90% of new mmorpgs are exactly like this ;)

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    Its my personal opinion thst i was dusappointed with the pilot episode.

I liked the game better.
    I played in beta and waiting for some good deal before buying the game.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Isturi

Just a simple poll and your thought if you like.

I feel yes I think the show tonight will bring in more players. Just for the simple reason is that Defiance is a breath of fresh air for a sci fi show. It is something that we have not seen for me anyways since BattleStar.

Of course it will bring in some new people. That is what advertising does. Real question lies in the amounts and whether or not its effective at keeping people coming back.

Also, comparing it to Bsg is a little much. I get it, you are a huge fanboy, but that is really demeaning to actually good sci fi.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dlld

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Julie Benz alone will cause 666 nerds to purchase Defiance after seeing the intial episode
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

watching the first episode now, this show is great.. I might buy the game just because I like the show.

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    i think the tv show is great so far
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Invited some friends over for a mini party to watch the show (Even though I saw it already thanks to Amazons goof lol). Two of them already bought the game, couldn't even wait till they got home :P
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Might bring in a few but the majority of the Scifi crowd are not gamers.  Well my dad loves Scifi and the only games he plays on his computer are majong or chess.

SUP

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    gotta admit, the show wasn't that bad. now i'm wondering if defiance city will be released in the actual game. who thinks so?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by aligada87
    gotta admit, the show wasn't that bad. now i'm wondering if defiance city will be released in the actual game. who thinks so?

I hope so. I also hope it has each of the cool places that are in the city in the show.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    After seeing the nature of Defiance city...the game kind of makes me sad for the lack of, or rather absense of, none combat potential.
    Originally posted by Bossalinie
    After seeing the nature of Defiance city...the game kind of makes me sad for the lack of, or rather absense of, none combat potential.

what do you mean?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Might bring in a few but the majority of the Scifi crowd are not gamers.  Well my dad loves Scifi and the only games he plays on his computer are majong or chess.

lol... the majority of the Scifi crowd aren't gamers you say? Most gamers I've met have turned out to be scifi fans and most scifi fans I've met turned out to be gamers. Thats not even taking any of the cons and what not I've been to lol. I personally think you're off on that belief. 

Thats not to say they all play MMO's, then again most MMO's have catered to fantasy rather than scifi. 

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I hope so. I also hope it has each of the cool places that are in the city in the show.

if they do this there is no doubt that it will build the social economy of defiance. atm the only way to see any social life in defiance imo is through co ops and that's not good. but if they have cities like these in the actual game, it would give people somewhere to chill and hang out, who knows maybe even duel. or better yet that battle arena where you can make fast cash lol. BOXING

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Bossalinie

what do you mean?

It's kind of hard to explain without sounding like a sandbox fan. It's a good game...I guess, just like the show, there's more to Defiance than combat.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    I think it will bring in more causal players, but I don't know how long they will stay.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I watched the first hour of it but DVR'd it so Im gonna rewatch it tomorrow, hopefully with a different impression

because my initial impression was that it sucked, bad. I dont see the series bringing in any gamers, mostly because I dont see syfy keeping this airing too long.

the writing wasnt too bad, but the special effects were terrible and the makeup was pretty bad also. I guess if you're used to effects and makeup circa Far Scape, you may not think its too bad..

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Funny the worst review posts of the show are here, and they arent just kinda bad, apparently it was the worst show ever made.  On this site too..shocking i know...so predictible.

Most of the other sites where people are talking about the show had almost universal positive feedback, even more so on the official forums. Dont expect this type of show and game to be everyones preference though.

The post show live stream though...lol...not so hot feedback on that.  Nice gesture by Trion though.

So now trion needs some more content ASAP to catch up to the show, give us the city of Defiance to mull about ect.

Oh and lol at the main character screwing over the players in game, i liked that touch.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Like the show, had much fun with the game beta....Defiance is a winner so far!