Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does GW2 compare to WoW?

Comments

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

If you like to play alts and like to level GW2 wins hands down. Exception would be if you don't mind super easy content then you might like Wow.  If you like end game raiding I would pick Wow.

If you enjoy Pvp both games can be fun. If you hate gear grind don't even touch Wow and if you love it don't touch GW2. I'm sure there is more but this is what pops in to my head atm. :)

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    If you like to play alts and like to level GW2 wins hands down. If you like end game raiding I would pick Wow being the older game. If you enjoy Pvp both games can be fun. If you hate gear grind don't even touch wow and if you love it don't touch GW2. I'm sure there is more but this is what pops in to my head atm. :)

QFT. GW2 doesn't have traditional end game activities on the PvE side. There is no real market to play since it is game wide and not server wide, crafting is kind of simplistic, and there is no real large group content like raids or gear progression. It does have an alright leveling experience and making alts can be rewarding.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

to me GW2 vs WoW is like console game vs MMO.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    It doesn't and personally I wish people would stop trying to compare WoW to just about every game they come across.  Hell, unlike WoW its buy to play so why not just buy it and give it a shot? you never know, you might actually like it if you don't go playing it with a "I want this to be WoW" mindset whilst ya at it.

imageimage

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    If you like to play alts and like to level GW2 wins hands down. If you like end game raiding I would pick Wow being the older game. If you enjoy Pvp both games can be fun. If you hate gear grind don't even touch wow and if you love it don't touch GW2. I'm sure there is more but this is what pops in to my head atm. :)

I hadn't even considered the "alt" argument.  At first I didn't like that you couldn't just create new characters on a diff. server in GW2, but then I realized how stupid that is in WoW, starting over from scratch to play with someone who just happened to roll on a diff. server than you.  Either that or pay 20 bucks (or was it 30?) for a server transfer?

With GW2, you can actually

1.) pay for the transfer with gems.

2.) not pay anything at all and just Guest on your friend's server, so long as you don't want to do WvW together.  If wish WoW did this... but server transfers are one of the ways Blizzard lines its pockets.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

I thought about being flip, but decided to be honest instead.  Games are worthless if not fun.  What it comes down to for me was that after I saw the endgame tier progression raids for what they were -- a funless-once-learned reason to keep me p(l)aying -- playing WoW just gave me an empty feeling.  For me, fighting things in GW2 is fun, whether that be mobs in open world, dungeons, events or PvP.  The only way to know if the differences between the games will matter to you would be to try it.  Fortunately, the price of admission does not include a sub fee.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

You know... I tried to think "Ok WoW and GW2 are very different games... So what are similarities in both?" and I have big troubles to find anything :)

Well chat is similar... And there is less emoticons (which is very sad). But really... everything feels so very different.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I enjoy Angry Joe a lot, I really do... but that review is HEAVILY bias. Its no where near a 10/10 in score. 

None the less, try the trial. Its a very simplistic game like WoW, even more so then really. Master dodge and you pretty much have the game down. Its... okay... its a bit to over-rated though by far and has plenty of flaws. Still I can see why people enjoy it and trying it yourself might get you a good judgement of the game, since pretty much by level 10 you practically experienced all you will see with combat (minus ults)

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

A lot of what I'm about to say has been repeated in this thread, but I'm going to say it anyways.  First off, I would like to note that the Original Poster should only use these opinions as suppliments to the overall feeling of the game.  If you're so interested in it, try it first through the Trial Weekend this week and then judge for yourself.  But also try to find a good guild or group of friends to play with, because playing alone is like playing less than 1/2 the true experience.

Perks of Guild Wars 2 over WoW:

• Cost =>  WoW requires you to buy the Battlechest (Vanilla+TBC),....and WotLK,...and Cataclysm,...and Mists of Pandaria, to experience the "full game content" and be up to par with the rest of the game.  All this is just for 30 days included in the first box only, after that it's $15+$15+$15+$15, and so on. Monthly sub every month is $15.  For Guild Wars 2 it's $60 (usually can find web sells on Amazon or others for $40), and nothing more needed to be paid. That's it.  Sure there's a cash shop, but so there is one for WoW too.  Optional is option...oh, and the Cash Shop items in GW2 could be paid entirely with in-game gold, where as WoW doesn't give that option.

• Combat =>  Guild Wars 2 has a far better, more action-based combat than WoW' static stand-and-fire affair. Movement  while casting is not only possible, but it's encouraged.  Abilities can go off without a target so you can shoot in a straight line to where the target is going to be, and possibly hit them if the projectile lands while they cross that path.

• Questing => For WoW, you have a log of so many quests (used to be 20 max, have they raised is from there?).  You're not able to obtain any more quests than that and you've got to actually obtain the quest prior to doing the objective.  So, for example, if you kill an Elite mob and then talk to some guy who asks you to kill said elite mob, you'll have to do it again because it doesn't count the prior actions to accepting the quest.   In Guild Wars 2, 95% of "quests" are Dynamic Events that a player can complete just by participating in them within the area, and get rewarded for the event, without ever needing to talk to an NPC.

• Dailies =>  Sort of falls under "quests", though Guild Wars 2 presents it's as Achievements, where as WoW does it as quests.  But, WoW does it like every other quest requiring NPC interaction and then some random objective.  Guild Wars 2 presents it as an already assigned list of things the player can pick and choose which 5 of the 10 or so goals to complete.  Most of them are done while doing normal gameplay.

• Travel => Damn are Asura Gates and Waypoints useful.  Having to ride a Griffin from one end of the map to the other, and having it take so long that a 5 layer sandwich can be made and eaten in the time frame, is crazy drag on the game.  It's about getting to the game play that's enjoyable faster, not slower.  Waiting at a dock for 5 minutes for a boat you'd just missed a couple seconds ago is abnoxious to say the least.

• Siege Combat =>  The siege combat in World vs World vs World  for GW2 is far better than WoW's attempts at what can only be described as world Battleground.  There's far better tactical options in GW2's version, it's set for large scale battles constantly, better map lay out, and freedome of siege use, building breeches, and so forth.

• Helpful Design vs Aggressive Design =>  In GW2, the game's designed to try to avoid griefing as much as possible.  Loot doesn't need rolled on, there's no stealing it at all or requiring your group to /roll or "I need that more" attitude.   Just the same, mobs cannot be tagged so that anyone who helps fight it, being the first to hit the mob or the last, will get credit for the kill so long as they did significant enough help.   In a dungeon, people are rewarded across the board with Tokens, badges, or whatever, as well as the system generated loot off the corpse(s); no need to fight over a single item drop off the boss amongst 5 people.   Every one of those points is counter in WoW.  You have to /roll on gear, usually only one awesome reward drops for a boss even if 5 or 20 people helped kill it, loot can be ninja stolen,  mobs too.  Waiting for a mob because someone refused to party with you and tagged it 3sec prior.   Quest sharing being a pain because having to require to party with someone instead of just doing it with them as they're there.

• Community =>  Becuase of the previous point on the game's overall design, the community of Guild Wars 2 has shown to be far more helpful, polite, and respectful of it's fellow players.   WoW is...shall I say,....it's know to be the 2nd worse community in Gaming, right being League of Legends.   Players are rude, mean, unhelpful, griefers who will either make "your mom" jokes, berate you, or steal your mob/loot.   Even in Guilds, there are points where they just attack one another based on raid  events that cause aggrivation and  rage.

Hopefully that helps.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Chet_Manley
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Compairing a game that actually tried pretty hard to not be a wow clone to wow seems some what pointless. What bases do you use to compair them ?

They're both fantasy mmos but not the same type of fantasy setting.

They both have the same types of general classes but the fighting and group make ups and the classes themselves don't play the same .

I didn't like gw2 but lots of my friends did. I think what I really didn't like about it was the no holy trinity. I thought it would be a good idea but after playing it I didn't enjoy the somewhat chaoticness of it. I like class rolls I guess.

That isn't really a good or bad point on the game though. It's totally a personal prefrence. I think most comparisons you find between the two games will really just be more of that.

I'm not sure because in WoW I used to enjoy playing a fire mage, but then they got nerfed really badly. 

Let me help you real quick.

If you liked the fire mage, do not log into GW2 and create a staff elementalist thinking the gameplay will be similar.  The Ele is a completely different type of character to play.  Its strength lies in versatility more than raw dps.  If I were to think of a class that plays well as a ranged AOE nuker, I would have to say various builds betweeen the necro or mesmer.  Either way, the gameplay is significantly different from the fire mages.

To answer your OP, you owe it to yourself to at least try GW2.  Before you play it, however, be prepared to learn a new game with new combat mechanics (as compared to WoW).

Thank you for your reply - I was wondering about this.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Homitu
    You've got to ask more specific questions about specific features or comparisons you'd like to know about.  The broad question of how one huge MMO compares, feature by feature, to another huge MMO requires hundreds of pages to answer, and will essentially force you to turn to reviews and gameplay videos to get a complete picture.  

Generally speaking, I totally agree with you.

However, YouTube videos don't often have reviews by bittervets! 

MMORPG.com has a very high population of bittervets, whose opinons I know I can rely on!

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    MMORPG.com has a very high population of bittervets, whose opinons I know I can rely on!

More like, you should not rely on. Bitterness 95% of the time turns in to biased opinions, although luckily by now most of that has been washed away.
    What you need is a way to try yourself because in the end everything is based on ones own preferences.

This coming weekend you'll have a chance to do so. Just grab a key off MMORPG.com frontpage giveaway and have a go.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

They compare to eachother in the fact they're both MMO's...

/thread

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Why I like GW2 is I can play at my own face and not falling back in my guild if I take a month break.

And the fact is GW2 broke the WoW mold which I for one thinks it was about time someone did.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by observer

I saw this Angry Joe review - he gave GW2 10/10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

GW2 looks amazing.

But how does it compare to WoW?

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of people who have played GW2 for quite a while.

To be honest:  WoW has more content for maxed players. ..

You know... I keep seeing this stated, but does it really? What content does WoW have for maxed players? Seriously, aside from whatever the latest raid is and maybe some PvP, is there anything else? Back when I played (pre-Cata) you had basically one raid and that was it. On off nights (not raiding) you log in, do some dailies, I'd make some ammo to sell and... well, that was pretty much it. WoW has hardly any viable content for max level players from what I remember. Maybe someone could list off viable content for the latest version of WoW... every thing you do when you have everything...

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by observer

I saw this Angry Joe review - he gave GW2 10/10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

GW2 looks amazing.

But how does it compare to WoW?

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of people who have played GW2 for quite a while.

To be honest:  WoW has more content for maxed players. ..

You know... I keep seeing this stated, but does it really? What content does WoW have for maxed players? Seriously, aside from whatever the latest raid is and maybe some PvP, is there anything else? Back when I played (pre-Cata) you had basically one raid and that was it. On off nights (not raiding) you log in, do some dailies, I'd make some ammo to sell and... well, that was pretty much it. WoW has hardly any viable content for max level players from what I remember. Maybe someone could list off viable content for the latest version of WoW... every thing you do when you have everything...

Yeah, I thought the same thing personally.  WoW has more content than probably any MMO out there that I can think of, possibly with the exception of EQ.. don't know, never played it but it has like a bazillion expansions.. but the problem with the "maxed players" logic is that this so-called content is obsolete.  So correction: this content is NOT for max level players, hell most of it isn't even for players its own level anymore, since there's absolutely no incentive to do raids from lower xpacs anymore except to get some transmog patterns.

And if you count that as max level content... well...

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Well I've played pretty much all the major MMOs:

WoW for 6 years, WAR for 2 years, AoC for 1, Secret World, AION, Tera, etc - and back in the day EQ and Ultima Online.

I could explain at length really all the reasons why, in detail, but suffice it to say this:

GW2 is just far better than all the other MMOs, and really shows how games like WoW, AION, etc are nothing but boring gear treadmills for losers.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Well I've played pretty much all the major MMOs:

WoW for 6 years, WAR for 2 years, AoC for 1, Secret World, AION, Tera, etc - and back in the day EQ and Ultima Online.

I could explain at length really all the reasons why, in detail, but suffice it to say this:

GW2 is just far better than all the other MMOs, and really shows how games like WoW, AION, etc are nothing but boring gear treadmills for losers.

Man I don't think those who like gear treadmills are loosers, in fact I don't think those who like WoW,Aion, and etc are loosers.

The only ones that are actual loosers are those jaded or just a "lost cause" into thinking that if an MMO doesn't have a gear treadmill, being forced to be social, and/or needs a holy trinity is not an MMORPG,MMO, or RPG.

Those are the loosers but people who like things for what it is and really don't be bothering other MMOs and not trying to act as if it's not MMORPG because it doesn't have what all these other MMOs have(Cause in ensense they just stuck to the same formula) they aren't loosers they are just gamers who like different things.(Sorry for double negatives if any, english is my primary but will admit it's not my strong suit and yes that is my fault ha ha)

Now to be fair if you don't play GW2 all because it's different, I think that's fine, to me and to answer the OP's question WoW and GW2 are very different from each other, because if they weren't I would be enjoying and actually made it to level 20 atleast in WoW it just is nt my type, and it relies on the Holy Trinity, Gear Treadmill, and I'm assuming forced grouping to get the job done. Is it a bad game? To me no, when I was younger I wanted to play it so bad, but that sub(I mean I'm 19 now so yea I was young lol) I only got to play Runescape ha ha, there were probably better F2P but my computer wasn't great then.

Like really if Wildstar is B2P, I think I'll give it a try because it also isn't Tab Target I think it's a hybrid like GW2, cause I only like Hybrid or action just the type of gamer I am, I'm not going to try to fool myself and be foolish to think if a game doesn't cater to what I like that it isn't what it claim to be(I.E a lot of guys claim GW2 isn't a MMORPG) and that it can still be a great game.(WoW to me is great so is EQ IMHO). 

So to the OP, I hope you try out the free trail, you may or may not see or want to accept the differences, pros, and/or cons of GW2 when coompared to WoW, but hey it's you. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Having played to 80 in guild wars 2 and quit , can someone explain what is good about it? maybe I missed the memo.  The world was kinda cool the first 20 levels then you realize that its just the same over and over, till 80.

GW2 starts off very strong in the first 20 levels but most players quickly realize how poor the quest(dynamic event/heart) variety is. I can't even count how many times I had to defend a camp from X waves of enemies, or collect objects on the ground for an NPC. Entering a new zone doesn't feel new at all. Dynamic events become trivial when the players make a zerg, and most impossible w<span blurb_expanded"="">hen solo. The game makes it difficult/pointless and not fun to group with friends.

Socialize? nope none I made 0 friends and talked to almost no one from 1-80 (note: I am not anti-social and made lots of friends in other MMO's). There just is no reason to talk to anyone.

Dungeons? After playing them, the dungeons are generally poorly constructed and not a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy doing them 1000x times for gear & farming. MMO sadism at its finest.

Endgame? stationary farming over and over, dungeons or working the auction house. Game play is boring and feels very disconnected. Could be the worst economy in any mmo to date. bots bots bots, player , bots , bots bots, player.

The entire system just lends itself to buying gold online (cheaply) or from Anet (expensive) to bypass the massive grind. Not sure what the point is since the grind is the ENDGAME, save your money and buy a new game not named Guild Wars 2

• greywolf2002greywolf2002 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Simply: it doesn't. They are 2 differet kind of games.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Different games for different audience.
  • ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472
    Originally posted by greywolf2002
    Simply: it doesn't. They are 2 differet kind of games.

They can still be compared but WoW wins every category (beides graphics).  Even Guild Wars 1 would score higher in most areas.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Shazzel

Having played to 80 in guild wars 2 and quit , can someone explain what is good about it? maybe I missed the memo.  The world was kinda cool the first 20 levels then you realize that its just the same over and over, till 80.

GW2 starts off very strong in the first 20 levels but most players quickly realize how poor the quest(dynamic event/heart) variety is. I can't even count how many times I had to defend a camp from X waves of enemies, or collect objects on the ground for an NPC. Entering a new zone doesn't feel new at all. Dynamic events become trivial when the players make a zerg, and most are impossible w<span blurb_expanded"="">hen solo. The game makes it difficult/pointless and not fun to group with friends.

Socialize? nope none I made 0 friends and talked to almost no one from 1-80 (note: I am not anti-social and made lots of friends in other MMO's). There just is no reason to talk to anyone.

Dungeons? After playing them, the dungeons are generally poorly constructed and not a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy doing them 1000x times for gear & farming. MMO sadism at its finest.

Endgame? stationary farming over and over, dungeons or working the auction house. Game play is boring and feels very disconnected. Could be the worst economy in any mmo to date. bots bots bots, player , bots , bots bots, player.

The entire system just lends itself to buying gold online (cheaply) or from Anet (expensive) to bypass the massive grind. Not sure what the point is since the grind is the ENDGAME, save your money and buy a new game not named Guild Wars 2

There is way more to do than just hit level cap.

Did you know that after you level cap you still gain skill points, and these can be used at the mystic forge? Complete your personal story, get your crafting to 400 and make exotic gear and weapons, do all the jumping puzzles, collect dungeon armor sets, get all your pve titles, Rank in sPvP, do all your achevements, etc etc. 

One of my favorite goals is to unlock character and bank slots by not paying cash. I like trying to make my own gold for these.

This game is no different than anyother when you hit level cap other than it doesn't really end there. Just play and have fun!

If you were to buy another game you are more than likely going to pay a sub and that will cost about $180 annually in subs alone. You could buy 3 AAA titles with that.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Shazzel

GW2 starts off very strong in the first 20 levels but most players quickly realize how poor the quest(dynamic event/heart) variety is. I can't even count how many times I had to defend a camp from X waves of enemies, or collect objects on the ground for an NPC. Entering a new zone doesn't feel new at all. Dynamic events become trivial when the players make a zerg, and most impossible w<span blurb_expanded"="">hen solo. The game makes it difficult/pointless and not fun to group with friends.

Huh. I'd swear from reading this that you never played GW2 and made all this crap up. Simple fact... it only took two or three CoF runs to get a piece of gear from there (I wanted the shoulder skin). Bots haven't been a serious issue since... well, ages. WvW is my current endgame, unless I'm doing Fractals for fun, working map completions or contemplating going for my first Legendary. Oh, and the Super Adventure Box. Buying gold is for fools. Gold is only one currency, and not one of the most important ones. 

You know... there's a free trial this weekend. Maybe you should actually play the game before making shtako up.

Oderint, dum metuant.

There's more to do at cap than there ever was in GW1, and people played that game for years.  Honestly, I don't know how, but still...

Definitely disagree about the dungeons though.  They were as entertaining and well made as any WoW 5 man, especially Fractals.