Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEFIANCE Angry Joe Review - Spot on.

Comments

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Personally ill never used some paid chump or "in it for the attention" game reviewer to push my opinion.  Its kind of a lame thing to do. 

It would indeed be lame, but that is not what is happening here. Everyone wants to talk about Angry Joe instead of Angry Joe's argument, which is valid, supported by evidence, and confirmed by people here who already bought the game. If he had given the game a 1/10 it would be another thing, but he has made his case that 5/10 is fair.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by sancher36

Small suggestion

Go play the game for yourself and make up your own mind .

I've learned to never listen to reviewers like this and in my opinion I found angry joe irritating and not really informative at all. 

That's just it, we are making up our own minds.

I have a hard time believing you watched more than a few minutes of this review. If you had, you would see him make assertions and back them up with real in-game examples. We can easily from it that the AI mobs are weak. We can easily believe that the quests are samey-samey step-and-fetchers. You can disagree with if you want, but he supported his case.

Best way to review a game for yourself is to watch live streams of the game.  See how the gameplay looks and if you will like it.  If spending $60 on a game is really rough and will lead you to a highly emotional outcome should the game not last forever...then i really dont think you should even be gaming.

I think those of us who are not "really young" and didnt grow up with f2p games being everwhere have a certain expectation and tolerance to spending money on games that we may not like after a month.  I think growing up on console games then moving to mmo games that were all p2p games really solidified this.

Other than that buying the game and trying yourself is the best way to do it, you might buy a few games that youll end up getting only a month out of, but thats the price you pay.  Ive bought and loved a lot of hated games, and bought and hated a lot of well recieved games.  This site seems to like the opposite of what i end up enjoying long term for some reason, always has been this way though.

Personally ill never used some paid chump or "in it for the attention" game reviewer to push my opinion.  Its kind of a lame thing to do. 

Sorry but that that is terrible advice to give to anyone. "Buy it and see if it sucks. If it does, Oh well, it was only $60 which isn't much unless you are a lesser life form that shouldn't be gaming anyway". One of those things you might not want to post if you read it over first.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Scottgun

Small suggestion

Go play the game for yourself and make up your own mind .

I've learned to never listen to reviewers like this and in my opinion I found angry joe irritating and not really informative at all. 

That's just it, we are making up our own minds.

I have a hard time believing you watched more than a few minutes of this review. If you had, you would see him make assertions and back them up with real in-game examples. We can easily from it that the AI mobs are weak. We can easily believe that the quests are samey-samey step-and-fetchers. You can disagree with if you want, but he supported his case.

I watched his whole video and still I get more out of other reviews, and some of what he had said makes me think he actually hardly played the game. Oh the story of where the bugs came from :)

Lets look at 3 of his other review scores 

planetside 2 7/10

saints row: the third 6/10

soulcaliber V 7/10

now going by those 3 I would rate Defiance higher than those trash games. 

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

The amount of Ad Hominem arguments is ridiculous.  Here's the deal:

It doesn't matter what his other reviews are, or who this person is, or what he's trying to do.  If what he is saying in THIS review for DEFIANCE - which is the game we are talking about - is accurate, none of the other crap matters AT ALL.  And having watched the video in its entirety, it is very spot on.  None of the other random things to discredit the review discredit it unless the argument is specific to what is said IN THE REVIEW.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Margulis

It doesn't matter what his other reviews are, or who this person is, or what he's trying to do.  If what he is saying in THIS review for DEFIANCE - which is the game we are talking about - is accurate, none of the other crap matters AT ALL.  And having watched the video in its entirety, it is very spot on.  None of the other random things to discredit the review discredit it unless the argument is specific to what is said IN THE REVIEW.

Spot on is a matter of opinion. Not FACT. And TY for the contenued posting to this thread it is drawing attention to Defience making people on the fence downloading the game for if you look at the download thread in this forum there is over 5k views to only what 6 replies vs this thread which only has 3k views and only little over 100 post so that means the download thread has over 2k more intreasted people with the potentinal of a possible 5k players from this community wanting to download Defience. Lets pls keep this thread going longer so more people in this community will want to download the game and see for themself what a fantastic MMO Defiance is.image

Proof is in the pudding.

There were a few things questionable in his review if you decide to do some research into it. Now as for what I think of defiance and anyone else here for that matter should not try and sway people away from trying it. 

The game is clearly not for everyone. 

I am no defiance fanboy as I see the game has its faults but its still a well made game in my opinion. I would even go as far as saying its better than gw2. 

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

In my book Defiance is as worse as GW2. However, Angry Joe really praised GW2.

They both lack any sort of progression, which kills it for me.

I hate the gear grind in WoW. But I would still like SOME progression that made me feel stronger than when I first started out.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Angry Joe is one of the very few geniune game reviewers. He actually plays the games as a gamer. He plays them for fun. He doesn't just get the game, play a day or two and then reviews it. He gives it some time and learns about the game which is really rare. You often find reviewers have no idea how things work in certain games and they make the most stupid ignorant assumptions, even on this site some reviewers do that.

I didn't really trust his MMO reviews though because he's pretty much new to being an MMO player and likely didn't play any before WoW. I feel that most MMO players who grew up on games int he pre-wow era have a different taste than those who came in after WoW and only played MMOs infected by it (I say infected and not influenced because they failed to emulate what actually made WoW successful, it's marketing). But I think he's learning little by little about MMOs and what he really wants from one. He's still always been geniune with his reviews/opinions though. I haven't seen the defiance review though because whither its good or not, sci fi/shooter games aren't my thing.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Isturi

Spot on is a matter of opinion. Not FACT. And TY for the contenued posting to this thread it is drawing attention to Defience making people on the fence downloading the game for if you look at the download thread in this forum there is over 5k views to only what 6 replies vs this thread which only has 3k views and only little over 100 post so that means the download thread has over 2k more intreasted people with the potentinal of a possible 5k players from this community wanting to download Defience. Lets pls keep this thread going longer so more people in this community will want to download the game and see for themself what a fantastic MMO Defiance is.image

Proof is in the pudding.

You love to pull stuff out of thin air and pass it as a proof. Don't you? lol

But then you are the guy who made topic 'Defiance is best MMO ever'...so not surprised.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

A 5/10 from him is like getting a 7/10 from a lot of others that would or will review it. The review seemed pretty even keel to me. He pointed out areas it was lacking in and some areas that it did well. He also said it could improve and by no means trashed the game.

I found his review amusing although a bit longwinded.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

A 5/10 from him is like getting a 7/10 from a lot of others that would or will review it. The review seemed pretty even keel to me. He pointed out areas it was lacking in and some areas that it did well. He also said it could improve and by no means trashed the game.

This is what surprises me. He gave Defiance 5/10. He didn't trash the game, He didn't ask people to stay away from it or anything.

But like i mentioned earlier. For fans as long as it is not 9 or 10 they won't accept it. So anything lower than that means reviewers are just dissing their precious.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

This is what surprises me. He gave Defiance 5/10. He didn't trash the game, He didn't ask people to stay away from it or anything.

But like i mentioned earlier. For fans as long as it is not 9 or 10 they won't accept it. So anything lower than that means reviewers are just dissing their precious.

Yeah...I have to agree. Sure comes across that way to me as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

His reviews also come down to personal choice too so you have to seriously put that into account. I'm just amazed if you look through his reviews that he rated crappier games above Defiance and I could tell from his reviews what game genre he prefers the most. 

I'm no Defiance or Rift fanboy but I do think Defiance is a lot better than the games he gave higher scores for. 

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

His reviews also come down to personal choice too so you have to seriously put that into account. I'm just amazed if you look through his reviews that he rated crappier games above Defiance and I could tell from his reviews what game genre he prefers the most. 

I'm no Defiance or Rift fanboy but I do think Defiance is a lot better than the games he gave higher scores for. 

Actually for that he would need to have atleast little personality but he doesn't have that so he tries to please cool group. Basicly he is typical nowday "mobsquad" machinima reviewer with emphasive on all negative aspects, but hey that sells. I have long stopped reading and watching professional reviewers, instead looking forums and few sites where editors don't bother giving scores at all.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I normally hate Angry Joe reviews.  He isnt angry as much whines like a little girl trapped in a adult mans body.    Yelling doesnt make you sound mad, or important just idiotic and retarded.  

With that said, he is right about this game.   I cant say much other than, meh.    I am sure it would be fun for the mindless masses who enjoy playing Fido and fetching this and that, but past that there isnt much else.

So much crap, so little quality.

Originally posted by Isturi

Proof is in the pudding.

You love to pull stuff out of thin air and pass it as a proof. Don't you? lol

But then you are the guy who made topic 'Defiance is best MMO ever'...so not surprised.

LMAO no Im not pulling figures out of the air. Just look the facts up yourself. Easy to do, Exit this thread look down the roll of threads find Download Clinent thread and compair notes. Wonder were Angry Joe got his facts from?

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

The reason most people do notlike a 5/10 rating is because it has the ability to take away potential customers. If you are shopping for a new car, and you look at online reviews and some schmuck you don't know say it's a 5/10 are you going to keep looking at that car? Your average buyer will look at other reviews, and weigh it all out, but there are a lot of people out there that wil take what they read on the Internet as fact no matter who put it there. 

It doesn't matter who you are, what you intentions are, or who knows you, if you post something on the Internet people are going to see it, and people will form opinions based around what you said. 

Then you have the viewer variable....

What does 5/10 mean to you? To me it means it was playable, but not worth the money.  Which to me is below what Defiance should be rated, ecause there are a lot of people who did buy it and are enjoying it, even with some of the major problems it is having like the social functions. 

If you have an MMO that has almost zero social function still taking off as well as the one has, what is going to happen when they fix and implement a better social feature?

Not so nice guy!

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Over the top acting aside... his review is spot on... if you're ready to sell your product for $60 a pop .. it ought to be ready for primetime. I don't buy the "hey it's an mmo give it 6 months to fix all this crap" excuse.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    His reviews are spot on if you like to be a negative nancy or just like listen to others complain
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by StonesDK
    His reviews are spot on if you like to be a negative nancy or just like listen to others complain

What are you talking about? He has plenty of positive reviews, too, like the Tomb Raider one (he gave that game 9/10). I like Angry Joe, because to me his reviews sound, I dunno, sincere, I guess.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I really hate starbucks. So I go out of my way to find negative reviews about starbucks, so I can tell people they are spot on. I don't care if anyone else likes starbucks, but these negative reviews about starbucks are totally trustworthy! They are exactly the same opinion I have about starbucks, so they are obviously 100% right and accurate.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Originally posted by TheScavenger

I really hate starbucks. So I go out of my way to find negative reviews about starbucks, so I can tell people they are spot on. I don't care if anyone else likes starbucks, but these negative reviews about starbucks are totally trustworthy! They are exactly the same opinion I have about starbucks, so they are obviously 100% right and accurate.

You should start a Youtube channel and call yourself Angry Scavenger. lmao I bet if you act just like him you get a ton of views and post.image

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    has its quirks has some issues but hey its great fun reviewing it just on the tech the issues etc then Id give it a 5/10 the sheer fun I've had in it so far even with what feels like contacting support every other day I'd give it a 8/10 certainly the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

What are you talking about? He has plenty of positive reviews, too, like the Tomb Raider one (he gave that game 9/10). I like Angry Joe, because to me his reviews sound, I dunno, sincere, I guess.

A review should discuss all negative aspects of its subject in detail. It's what many modern gaming sites are missing. It's another case of the "you can't please everyone" syndrome. Some people complain when gaming sites give everything with high production values 8/10 or more, but others hate negative reviews and the "complaining" they contain.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

Yeah but something tells me those glorious reviews goes into the "forgotten" bin if you disagree with it. But top notch to all the negative ones! they are spot on