Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How solable will this MMO be?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Seeing that my thread last night got deleted, maybe because of how I worded it. So I'll try to word this differently. Since there shouldn't be a problem at all with discussing being able to solo.

I love to solo in MMOs. I solo in EVE (in nullsec, which is better than high/low sec for soloing) and soloed nearly the entire time in my first MMO, WoW.

While MMOs are about socializing. In EVE, I traded with people, killed the occasional ship that came by, talked in chat and still socialize all the time even if I don't group with anyone. About the same in WoW.

Will Camelot Unchained have enough content for a soloer? A lot of MMO players, a huge portion of them, spend their time soloing. I think that was one reason WoW was such a huge success, if I recall, it was the first MMO to have so much solo content.

So, will Camelot Unchained be a good MMO for one who wants to solo? If not, is it purposely designed that way? Or should there be some things (like dailies) that a player can do solo?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

To solo in an mmo means the ability to play the majority of content without the need of interacting with others.

By that definition I would imagine CU could possibly be the worst solo mmo in the entire industry. I'm not saying there couldn't be avenues of solo participation but to not even group with or be assisted at all in an RvR setting suggests a level of frustration few could cope with.

You stay sassy!

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    There is always a way of playing by yourself... In every modern MMO.
  • dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77
    people who want solo content in MMO's shouldnt play them. you ruin the game for the rest of us when they start catering to you.  give me content i cant survive with out a group of 5. thats the mmo i want to play

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

I would imagine being able to solo would be viable up to a certain point, but the majority of actual content will likely require other players.  Mark has gone on record multiple times about his feelings regarding forcing players to socially interact, so I doubt there will be many exceptions to the rule.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll be able to find 1v1 fights.. but you'll also likely have outside help or additional enemy resistance.  It's too early to tell, really.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• CU_now_pleaseCU_now_please Member Posts: 47
    I think solo'n will be possible, just have to look at what each realm owns/is being attacked, and lurk around the edges hoping for similar minded players

/anon

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95

I think everything will be to some extent "soloable" and this is why i think that..

For example:  A large group of players take a resource structure ( keep, mine, etc)  Well, it may have taken alot of players to take it initially but who's to say that a solo player couldn't help defend it or use the resources for crafting solo...etc.   My point is that for this game to be successful I think it will be necessary for the game design to include the solo mentality, I don't believe there is anyone among us that wants to group "ALL" the time...

my .02

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    It's a pvp only game .... what do you think!?
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

From what I've read, some things will be soloable, and some things won't be.

There will absolutely be things in the game you can do by yourself when you don't feel social.

However, don't expect to be invading the enemy's lands and destroying all their castles/towns by yourself LOL.

I would imagine though, just like in darkness falls in daoc, and certain areas in EVE... of course you can solo some or all of it... but the risk/reward is up to you. Would you rather take some friends, and be less of a target? or go by yourself and be easy to gank? It's hard to say. Maybe solo you could sneak in/out more quickly without notice heh.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

MJ himself said he's a solo player, so there will be the ability.

To a point. You're not going to max out or get the best gear in the game by yourself, and generally, you'll have alot more fun in a party.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I guess it depends on what you mean by soloable.

It seems virtually certain there will not be instanced 1vs1 arenas, so you will always have the possibility of other players intruding on your fights.

It should be very possible to play without a group however. You should be able to run alongside the zerg ungrouped and participate in sieges and other fights. This could be very rewarding in DAOC on the right class (high damage casters and archers especially).

You should be able to play as a solo toon trying to find 1vs1 fights by going to less travelled areas (for instance areas rich in crafting resources but not near keeps) but again there is no guarantee you won't get run over by a full group or a zerg or even have other soloers add onto your fights.

You will probably be able to be a high level crafter solo although you may pay a premium for crafting components doing it that way.

You will probably be able to get the best gear in the game as a solo toon although you will have to take advantage of other people in your realm gaining access to The Depths, assuming that is where the best gear comes from.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

You'll be able to solo. He already said he wants to cater to all playstyles. Only idiots cry about soloers killing games, because it's the developers catering to that demographic that ruins games. 

Gearing may be difficult solo, we don't know. Personally I mix it up between solo and organized group play. 

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'm sure you'll be able to solo. Just don't complain when you get trampled by a group of enemies image
  • TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

These sorts of threads get a lot of negative responses because the question itself is pretty silly for a game based entirely on player driven content (PvP) and not just a bunch of developer created quests and whatnot.

I'll just say what I said in the almost identical thread the other day.

In a certain sense, the entire game is technically soloable because the actual content is the other players.  Any time you fight or interact with another player while not in a group?  Solo content!!!

Originally posted by Chet_Manley
    I remember hearing something about a scout class or something like that.  I would assume you would be a solo player to carry out those duties well.

This implies they aren't solo'ing if it is useful to others.

It depends on someones definition of solo play. Attacking a keep along side a hundred other players isn't soloing just because you aren't grouped with anyone. Truly soloing means you can access the majority of systems offered in the game without the aid of others. A player could make a crafter to support his other characters but I highly doubt they could construct an entire, defensible keep/town, take out other player keeps/towns or thinking they can control the Depths by themselves is rather silly.

You stay sassy!

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359
    How good are you at killing other players? Really good? then this will be one solo'able game for you. What's that? you use keys to turn and you always lose 1v1 fights? well, better join a zerg (which you can do solo as well)
  • HorafHoraf Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by TheScavenger 
    A lot of MMO players, a huge portion of them, spend their time soloing.

I think you answered your own question.  If a "huge" portion of MMO players solo, you should be able to solo and find these players, and enjoy the "solo" content together!

Originally posted by Horaf
    A lot of MMO players, a huge portion of them, spend their time soloing.

I think you answered your own question.  If a "huge" portion of MMO players solo, you should be able to solo and find these players, and enjoy the "solo" content together!

Hey that is a perfect solution to soloing!

Find other players who like to solo and group up with them!

:)

You stay sassy!

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

I thibk from what we know now the easiest class to solo would be a crafter

Originally posted by Tierless

A lone wolf is dangerous but never as dangerous as when he has his pack with him.

Doable, I'm sure it is, but I assume it's less fun and way harder. I suppose you could ghost the zerg and cherry pick like lions hunting zebra.

I just don't see that as solo'ing. That is like saying someone can complete a raid because the game allows someone the ability to follow a raid into a dungeon.

To solo by feeding off the scraps of player zergs or groups isn't so much solo'ing as being someone who needs to wear a helmet to cross the street.

You stay sassy!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

How solable will this MMO be?  

It won't be.

You've chose the wrong mmo to ask this question mate.

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by dorksmetal
    people who want solo content in MMO's shouldnt play them. you ruin the game for the rest of us when they start catering to you.  give me content i cant survive with out a group of 5. thats the mmo i want to play

It's people like YOU that ruin MMO's.  (See, it's all a matter of perspective).  You are ignorant if you think most people that want to solo just want to play an MMO like a single player RPG.  I think most people that want to solo (myself included) want to be able to participate in a vibrant living online world without being FORCED to group with other players.   My reason?  I talk to people all day long (IT support) and the LAST thing I want to do when I get home is talk to other people.  I just want to CRANK up the music and relax while playing games.  Since Vent/TS/etc is almost required for grouping up I choose not to.  But I still want to run with the zerg and attack a castle etc., just not in a group situation where I'm forced to use TS to communicate.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by drakon3

It's people like YOU that ruin MMO's.  (See, it's all a matter of perspective).  You are ignorant if you think most people that want to solo just want to play an MMO like a single player RPG.  I think most people that want to solo (myself included) want to be able to participate in a vibrant living online world without being FORCED to group with other players.   My reason?  I talk to people all day long (IT support) and the LAST thing I want to do when I get home is talk to other people.  I just want to CRANK up the music and relax while playing games.  Since Vent/TS/etc is almost required for grouping up I choose not to.  But I still want to run with the zerg and attack a castle etc., just not in a group situation where I'm forced to use TS to communicate.

Havent been in a single group that forced me to use voice chat now guild thats a nother story.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Love to solo aye? There is games designed for that, single player games. ;D
  • MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by drakon3

You should maybe give up in mmo? either way, no one is "forcing" you to go on voice chat, just say "no", just that simple or make up excuse that your speaker and mic is broken, it's not like they can do anything about it.

Like said, I never was forced to go on voice chat in any mmo I played. Soloers really ruined the community. 

If I want to lay back, and go solo, I'd go play a single player games (That's me that is).

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

To keeping with gear you will need to interact with others...

im sure will be able to RvR alone if ou so choose. The effectiveness with depend on class.

you can prowl routes frequented getting from one area to another...