Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's the lore?

KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Who are the faction leaders? What are their relationships? What's their story? Motives? Personalities? Or on a grander scope the whole factions.

It's a lot harder to get into games if you just drop your self in and start farming bunnies with no connection to the lore of the game. If this game is going to launch this year carbine is horribly missing their mark on how long it takes to grow into major NPC's or lore.

The game looks smooth and fun to me, and I like the art style, but it's just random guys running around right now, and the game is starting to step into final betas or even release this year.

I've had this same problem with many MMO's, others had their lore and stuff like that out in the open but the presentation was poor, some didnt really have any interesting lore and that's a doomed game in my eyes. Carbine should release a short CGI film presenting all the key persons and the factions imo, give something memorable and interesting.

WoW had huge advantage since I played the RTS series since Warcraft 1 and could allready relate to the NPC's and the whole game world, I still read WoW news and how the story progresses even if I dont play it.

There's the basic setting out there of WildStar, the very basic of factions etc, but is there more out yet? I'd be very interested in finding out stuff, right now not knowing much details about anything is tingling me the wrong way, I need time to learn and to get familiar with it all, not some background stories whammed in a month before the game goes live with unknown faction leaders and key persons who I forget after accepting the major quest line.

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I see where you are going with this and agree. The talk about mods and servers, while interesting, needs to ALMOST take a backseat to the story and immersion. I love the game play demos and art and all that, but we're missing an important part when a strong lore component is left out, especially when a new title/characters/factions hit the market. Not meaning to sound like a marketing whore, but it would be good to release a few books introducing the main groups/characters/places prior and during game release.
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Maybe I'm missing something , but they have released a bunch of lore. Have you not checked out Carbines website?

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

Maybe I'm missing something , but they have released a bunch of lore. Have you not checked out Carbines website?

They have, but it's tiny bits when trying to look at the big picture. This is completely new fantasy setting, there's absolutely NOTHING to grab onto when trying to figure out the world or it's inhabitants unless Carbine said something about it.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo
    You might find this thread useful: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/wildstar-lore-links.1442/

Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow when I have better time :)

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

They have, but it's tiny bits when trying to look at the big picture. This is completely new fantasy setting, there's absolutely NOTHING to grab onto when trying to figure out the world or it's inhabitants unless Carbine said something about it.

All I can say is, give it time.  Right now its in Closed beta with an NDA.  So, thats most likely why alot of the lore and things you are asking for are not being mentioned yet.  I do believe you will get more lore then you'll know what to do with once the NDA is lifted.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

There has been a decent amount of information on lore released in Carbine's news over the last year or so back. Most of it has been holiday event or Exile faction related though. I'd like even more information revealed to us, hoping something quite extensive comes out in the next couple of months.

That wildstar-central link is good for checking the past entries.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo
    You might find this thread useful: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/wildstar-lore-links.1442/

That's an awesome site, lots of good stuff; however, this post from the site kinda says it all:

"While we have some general information about the events in the Galaxy and on the various planets, there is very few specifics about what happened when.

Many events aren't even given an estimated time, and so, stuff like background stories can be hard to put together."

It would be great to have a book series that outlined maybe one Exiles adventures, and described the lore a little deeper.

I know... Game hasn't even gotten outa Beta, but I think it would be good to hire an outside author to take a stab.

• WildStarLore_MythosWildStarLore_Mythos Member Posts: 1
    You can also find some of WildStar's lore here www.WildStarLore.com image
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Maybe I'm one of the few, but i enjoy finding out the lore by playing the game.  When everything is explained and you know who everyone is, it takes some of the mystery away.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Alders
    Maybe I'm one of the few, but i enjoy finding out the lore by playing the game.  When everything is explained and you know who everyone is, it takes some of the mystery away.

I agree.I don't really care about the lore till I'm actually playing.Like I don't read plot synopisis before reading a book.Leading up to launch I'd rather know about game mechanics,systems and technical options. I'fdrather explore and discover lore at my own pace during playing.

Having said that a basic history of events leading up to events portrayed in the game to set the tone isn't a bad thing and is appreciated just not too much.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Alders

Agreed.

Only problem is from an RP standpoint...you not knowing = your character is seemingly oblivious. Then again could be argued that your character wouldn't know everything.

I would also like to point out though that hey made an ENTIRE path for Lore and the discovery of it.

So guessing this was done on purpose?

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!