Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did you expect ?!

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Galadourn
    Originally posted by aesperus Originally posted by Po_gg Originally posted by pmnx Originally posted by Lobotomist But I wonder, honestly : What did you expect ?
    I expected a AAA mmorpg developped during 5 years by Mat Firror.
    And for one vote to the other side as well, I personally expected an Elder Scrolls game, only this time Online (like the name stated) with fellow Elder Scrolls fans :) So when I first heard about the whole TES-skinned DAoC2 shenanigan I scraped it off from the "waiting" list... and only with the recent news picked up the line again, but I admit I'm still on the fence with TESO, since it still looks way too daoc-ish for my taste.
    Just out of curiosity, but what exactly are you seeing (other than the 3 factions) that makes the game look like a DAoC clone? The only part of the game that we know of that shares commonality w/ DAoC is the faction PvP, of which we haven't seen anything about it really. We just know it's supposed to exist.
    lol; the arbitrary separation of Tamriel's races into 3 factions (really, why? I know ofc that you can twist the lore as you want to make it believable, but this looks like forced RvRvR to me), and the fact that each faction is restricted to its own PvE-leveling zone(s) with only one common zone to fight.

This is as DAoC as it gets.

these kind of posts are a cancer to these forums. no it is not as Daoc as you can get, its nothing like Daoc except for having 3 factions and similar style optional pvp.

you either need to get your facts straight and learn about this game before you post about it or stop trolling.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

it was kinda like going on a bilnd date.. Built up tension and eagerness only to get there and be like.. "This bitch is ugly." Even worse when you sit down shes totally uninteresting and has no personality...

But you do it anyway..

beacuse you're bored...

This genre blows.

Originally posted by Po_gg

Originally posted by aesperus Just out of curiosity, but what exactly are you seeing (other than the 3 factions) that makes the game look like a DAoC clone? The only part of the game that we know of that shares commonality w/ DAoC is the faction PvP, of which we haven't seen anything about it really. We just know it's supposed to exist.
    That, exactly :)

Or a bit more detailed, as they said numerous times the whole game was built around 3faction pvp / avava, and they even dedicated a big chunk of the area only for pvp. Does any part of that sounds like Elder Scrolls?

no they did not design the entire game around 3 faction pvp, it is segregated to one area.

the factions are the only thing that effect the pve aspect of the game.

tell me, what about the actual pve and mechanics of the game remind you of Daoc? you do realize Daoc had pve, right?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Anyone that thinks TESO is going to look bad at launch has never played an Elder Scroll game or is seriously deillusional. if anything the game will end up looking too good, sandbagging everyone with middle end systems.

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Anyone that thinks TESO is going to look bad at launch has never played an Elder Scroll game or is seriously deillusional. if anything the game will end up looking too good, sandbagging everyone with middle end systems.

of course they think it will look exactly like that video along with the combat. lol

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by pmnx

Originally posted by Lobotomist But I wonder, honestly : What did you expect ?
    And for one vote to the other side as well, I personally expected an Elder Scrolls game, only this time Online (like the name stated) with fellow Elder Scrolls fans :) So when I first heard about the whole TES-skinned DAoC2 shenanigan I scraped it off from the "waiting" list... and only with the recent news picked up the line again, but I admit I'm still on the fence with TESO, since it still looks way too daoc-ish for my taste.
    Just out of curiosity, but what exactly are you seeing (other than the 3 factions) that makes the game look like a DAoC clone? The only part of the game that we know of that shares commonality w/ DAoC is the faction PvP, of which we haven't seen anything about it really. We just know it's supposed to exist.
    lol; the arbitrary separation of Tamriel's races into 3 factions (really, why? I know ofc that you can twist the lore as you want to make it believable, but this looks like forced RvRvR to me), and the fact that each faction is restricted to its own PvE-leveling zone(s) with only one common zone to fight.

these kind of posts are a cancer to these forums. no it is not as Daoc as you can get, its nothing like Daoc except for having 3 factions and similar style optional pvp.

you either need to get your facts straight and learn about this game before you post about it or stop trolling.

why are you so upset? I presented some arguments as to why I believe ZOS wants  to make a DAoC clone - and if you read the interviews you'll see that Matt's participation in Mythic is highlighted as proof of competence for the game's design. 

What are your arguments against ESO being a DAoc clone?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Why would being a DAoC clone be a bad thing anyways. Almost every game copies WoW and soon GW2. A DAoC clone would be a happy addition to the current market. But no, TESO will be nothing like DAoC rofl.
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Why would being a DAoC clone be a bad thing anyways. Almost every game copies WoW and soon GW2. A DAoC clone would be a happy addition to the current market. But no, TESO will be nothing like DAoC rofl.

it's not a bad thing, but it's also not ES. The philosophy behind tri-realm combat is focused on realm pride, forcing collaboration between a faction's players, whereas ES is more about freedom and exploring your options in whatever path you may choose.

• ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Graphics<Gameplay is all I can say.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

why are you so upset? I presented some arguments as to why I believe ZOS wants  to make a DAoC clone - and if you read the interviews you'll see that Matt's participation in Mythic is highlighted as proof of competence for the game's design. 

He's upset because, although you may think that what you're saying is new, it has been said hundreds of times in this forum over the past few months. Usually by people characterizing the DAoC-like influences (which are 3-sided combat and faction lock) as an evil perpetrated on the loyal TES community by unscrupulous, moneygrubbing "DAoC rejects."

Sorry to burst your bubble but your ideas are not original.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

If you have not already adjusted your expections to modern MMOs, you probably should do so or you continue to be dissapointed.

My expections for ESO:

• Lasts 2 to 3 months
    • Fun levelling with few good friends
    • Exploration of familiar worlf and lore
    • Expect to quit once run out of things to do.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Originally posted by Caliburn101

The state of the graphics on this are irrelevant - it has been translated into another format at 'whatever' resolution and bears little relation to still screenshots - which should represent the look of top of the range machines running the game.

UI beta graphic presets are unrepresentative until such time as you are running a graphics stress test.

One wouldn't run such a test at an Expo giving people 20 mins each - crashes would piss everyone off and defeat the object...

The animations however were possibly more representative - so I hope that aspect will be better at release - they were largely wooden and unrealistic.

Lastly, no-one can judge the state of gameplay from a PvE perspective (quest, combat etc.) with 20 minutes of gameplay in a beta where around 10% of your alocated time is spent making the character sleep...

Add beta, to starter area, to what appeared to be a confused and directionless player and we get an largely unrepresentative segment of video from which few conclusions (even interim conclusions) can be drawn.

No point being upset or delighted by this - it is extremely unlikely to significantly resemble the shipped product.

I never would have imagined that there would come a day when I could agree with one of your posts in its entirety. What next, world peace? image

+1

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

He's upset because, although you may think that what you're saying is new, it has been said hundreds of times in this forum over the past few months. Usually by people characterizing the DAoC-like influences (which are 3-sided combat and faction lock) as an evil perpetrated on the loyal TES community by unscrupulous, moneygrubbing "DAoC rejects."

Sorry to burst your bubble but your ideas are not original.

They may not be original, are they valid, however? As i said in another post, DAoC is not inherently bad, however it requires a sort of game design that's very alien to ES mentality.

They may not be original, are they valid, however? As i said in another post, DAoC is not inherently bad, however it requires a sort of game design that's very alien to ES mentality.

A basic problem with your premise is that you are assuming there is one single "ES mentality" and that your interpretation of the term is correct. My own particular "ES mentality" has never seen any problem with 3-sided RvR or PvE area restrictions when they decided to bring a single-player franchise and adapted it for MMO play.

But then, I've been playing MMOs about as long as I've been playing TES games. I have opinions about what type of MMO I like that are totally independent from what single player games I like.

This part of the TES design--which is by no means all of it--is a welcomed change from the WOW-like focus of most AAA MMOs. I like it. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

lol; the arbitrary separation of Tamriel's races into 3 factions (really, why? I know ofc that you can twist the lore as you want to make it believable, but this looks like forced RvRvR to me), and the fact that each faction is restricted to its own PvE-leveling zone(s) with only one common zone to fight.   This is as DAoC as it gets.
      these kind of posts are a cancer to these forums. no it is not as Daoc as you can get, its nothing like Daoc except for having 3 factions and similar style optional pvp. you either need to get your facts straight and learn about this game before you post about it or stop trolling.

not upset, annoyed by all the misinformation that gets spread around here.

if you were talking about the pvp only i wouldn't say a word, yes they are using 3 factions and having one area dedicated to "rvr" like Daoc had, i get that and agree its like what Daoc had.

beyond that? i don't see anything similar to Daoc other than standard mmo elements.

based on the info that we have, if i was to compare this game to another already existing mmo, it would be GW2....even though its still hard to say.

Daoc didn't have combat anywhere near what TESO will have, the lore is nothing like it, graphic style, pretty much anything and everything we know right now about TESO is nothing like Daoc aside from the factions /area lock and the way they handle pvp (not the mechanics of it)

so when someone says "this is as Daoc as it gets" yes i do get annoyed by that.

by the way, i am an ex Daoc player and i would have a serious issue if they made TESO a Daoc clone, from a PVE standpoint.

so i understand the concern.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

I saw the 20 min vid and could not beleive what I saw. It did look like junk and very generic in its gameplay. No way was this what I was expecting, and I was initially disapointed. But then taking things into consideration like it being in early beta, comparing to other betas I have been in, and lots of time until release, I'll still hold off judgement for now based on a crappy vid.

I ran into another vid of ESO from pax, the turtorial one with an Orc, and it essentially disproves (at leatst for me) a lot of what that 20min leak showed. google eso pax turorial video if you have not seen the vid I am refering to. The game looks beautiful and well done with ES elements.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by aleos

it was kinda like going on a bilnd date.. Built up tension and eagerness only to get there and be like.. "This bitch is ugly." Even worse when you sit down shes totally uninteresting and has no personality...

But you do it anyway..

beacuse you're bored...

This genre blows.

If I felt that way i'd just do something else.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Gameplay level 1-10 doesn't mean a thing and I want to see proper RvR action and PvE-group combat before I jump to any conclusions. With that said, I was happy to see a fight with a mudcrab, nothing is more TES than mudcrabs.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Gameplay level 1-10 doesn't mean a thing and I want to see proper RvR action and PvE-group combat before I jump to any conclusions. With that said, I was happy to see a fight with a mudcrab, nothing is more TES than mudcrabs.

HAHA that mudcrab almost handed him his ass too. Dude never used any of his abilities except the standard fireball. Yes the graphics looked rough, but most games don't put out the full polish until later versions so really can't look at that too much. Seems like they are trying to dial in the networking side of things still, only the second small beta so really nothing much to doom and gloom about yet. The gameplay looked smooth so far though.

Still need to see some PvP since that will be the reason I'm interested in this game the most. I'm sure the PvE will be fine, as long as its not easymode.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Only red flag I noticed was dude getting hit when nothing was actually hitting him. I hate that kind of gameplay where you take damage from objects that havent even collided with your character. Other then that it looks pretty eso to me in terms of world and character creation. I just hope dice rolls don't rule the day! 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I expected very little, and it looks like that's what I'll get.  I'm not disappointed, in fact I'll probably save some money off of this.  Sorry if it offends anyone that the game looks cheap and ugly to me, it just does.

Coming from someone who doesn't care about RvR or the lore, I swear I've played this game half a dozen times already going by the lame, clunky combat footage.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I will hold my judgement until I play it

But from what I've seen I was not disappointed, nor in awe, it was just so-so, alas I never held any expectation for this game tho

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311

I will say I'm alittle disappointed. When I first heard Elder Scrolls Online, I had never played an Elder Scrolls game but immediately bought Skyrim and LOVED IT. Definitely missed out when it launched, but was glad to be able to still buy it and catch up to the times.

I expected Skyrim, but Online. Thats it. Dont change a thing. Tweak a few things here and there to better suit an MMO, but do whatever is possible, including inventing new systems, to make sure it stays as close to skyrim-like as possible.

Then came the info of RvR focused and DAoC-clone. I was immediately turned away because I began to see that the main focus of the developers was PvP and not PvE. Now I've seen all the debates about how PvE is expensive, time consuming, and gets eaten up by players way to fast to be kept up with by the devs. PvP is so much easier and players create their own content that way. First thing I thought of in that debate was, "ok, so basically PvP is a cop-out by devs, and....thats ok? by some players?"

Well not me. I'm a firm believer that PvP is a side-dressing to PvE. A side-dressing that is just as important as PvE but should never overshadow it. A 60/40 relationship in my eyes.

The thing I do find interesting is Cyrodil and how it seems to embody a perfect marriage of PvE and PvP. I find that great and hope it succeeds, but I believe someone needs to come in, kick Matt Firor's ass and say "No sir, you shall not make this RvR/PvP focused and you need to start bolstering the PvE alot more than you have been."

Removing the zone lock was a start, but far from finished. Next is remove all invisible walls. After that remove this whole instanced zoning 50+ and 50++ areas. I WANT to see a level 50 enemy go by me and see myself go, "Oh crap thats a 50, shit I hope he doesnt notice me."

If I don't wanna get attacked and ganked then I don't flag for PvP, simple as that.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I wasn't surprised at all.  I've played Oblivion only, from the Elder Scrolls series, and i knew what to expect, from the art-style to the combat.  This is what Elder Scrolls feels and looks like.  The only thing that disappointed me from that video, was the voice-overs; some of them didn't match up with the dialogue and npc's talking.  I'm not really concerned about the UI either, since that will be able to be modified with 3rd party mods.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by observer
    I wasn't surprised at all.  I've played Oblivion only, from the Elder Scrolls series, and i knew what to expect, from the art-style to the combat.  This is what Elder Scrolls feels and looks like.  The only thing that disappointed me from that video, was the voice-overs; some of them didn't match up with the dialogue and npc's talking.  I'm not really concerned about the UI either, since that will be able to be modified with 3rd party mods.

The voices should definitely improve.  GW2's VO work was one of the last things to be changed, and as far as I know (and someone else mentioned), some of those NPC's aren't voiced by "people", they're using placeholder Microsoft Sam-type programs.  The VO work in the ES games was never my favorite, but it was definitely good.  I expect the same quality from ESO, if nothing else.