Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free 500 cartel coins for my support to the game.

BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I read the email and fell out of my chair. EA actually gave me something for free? no strings attached?

Now i have total of 1000 cartel coins  thanks to new achievement system i got another 500 cartel coins ;)

Anyone else got it? i am not even subbed to the game anymore.

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I read the email and fell out of my chair. EA actually gave me something for free? no strings attached?

Now i have total of 1000 cartel coins  thanks to new achievement system i got another 500 cartel coins ;)

Anyone else got it? i am not even subbed to the game anymore.

Bah- You traded those cartel coins for your SOUL.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

i got some coins too,,1500

i think its an error, i havent played this game for the last 8 months

and i most definately dont support them anymore

so, somewhere thers prolly a sad fan, who cant afford the items he want

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by simplius

Damn- Your soul was far more costly than the Ops.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

they also sent me a ton of free coins, probably because I haven´t logged in since last May.

Seems like not playing the game gets rewarded. Now what am I going to do with these? can I donate them to another user?

Originally posted by Jacxolope

Damn- Your soul was far more costly than the Ops.

not really

im playing scarlet blade

i couldnt resist the boobs

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's not an error.  Since EA's BioWare division lay offs & server merges, game popluarity has continued to decline.  It's more of a "cheap" effort to get people back to subscribe.  Making extensive content with their modified Hero engine is apparently a very costly endeavor to keep current players happy, whereas it's less expensive to just get new blood .. or former players getting the itch.  Have them pay and experience the older content - nothing groundbreaking needed for long term players : screw em.

Why worry about keeping 1 Founder player, when you can get 2 new ones instead?  With EA analysts it likely boils down to fractions .. 1 Founder player versus 1.632 new players, etc.  In any event, it's more money for EA, which is their goal, so they can spend it on other projects.

WoW went through this with Cataclysm (arguably before too), where Blizzard nerfed the game down so anyone and everyone, regardless of effort could become powerful.  It didn't really work out for Blizzard, as subscriptions fell, and continued to fall, after their glory of 12 million players.  WoW had hit a record sales with Cataclysm, but also a record drop in activity / subscriptions.  Bridges were burned.

Essentially, Blizzard started flushing their past fans down the toilet, in hopes of getting new players.

The free Cartel Coins are just an extension of short term gains.  And short term gains make for a cruddy game for people looking for a MMORPG long lasting home.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    They can't sell them so they give them away. lol
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's not an error.  Since EA's BioWare division lay offs & server merges, game popluarity has continued to decline.  It's more of a "cheap" effort to get people back to subscribe.  Making extensive content with their modified Hero engine is apparently a very costly endeavor to keep current players happy, whereas it's less expensive to just get new blood .. or former players getting the itch.  Have them pay and experience the older content - nothing groundbreaking needed for long term players : screw em.

Why worry about keeping 1 Founder player, when you can get 2 new ones instead?  With EA analysts it likely boils down to fractions .. 1 Founder player versus 1.632 new players, etc.  In any event, it's more money for EA, which is their goal, so they can spend it on other projects.

WoW went through this with Cataclysm (arguably before too), where Blizzard nerfed the game down so anyone and everyone, regardless of effort could become powerful.  It didn't really work out for Blizzard, as subscriptions fell, and continued to fall, after their glory of 12 million players.  WoW had hit a record sales with Cataclysm, but also a record drop in activity / subscriptions.  Bridges were burned.

Essentially, Blizzard started flushing their past fans down the toilet, in hopes of getting new players.

The free Cartel Coins are just an extension of short term gains.  And short term gains make for a cruddy game for people looking for a MMORPG long lasting home.

they must be getting desperate, if theyre resorting to this method

i know its a pretty cheap way to get customers, but the return % must be awful

if i didnt spend any of my original coins,,why would i return to spend these?

and yes, the "instant reward" crowd does make any game a short affair

the balance in wow BC was good,,progression did take time and effort

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Karteli

(snip)

As Karteli says: not an error. This is what many, many F2P games go and what I (others) oredicted prior to SWTOR going F2P.

Getting new players is easiest when the game first goes F2P; as time goes on it gets harder - and people leave a F2P game just as they leave a sub based game. 2M F2P accounts is very small - to put this number in context EA have announced the closure of Sims Social (down from 10M to 6M) and Pet Society (4M currently) amongst others.

To quote EA:

while these games proved popular to begin with, "the number of players and amount of activity has fallen off."

It gets harder to entice people to spend money in the cash shop; people get bored with the game; bored with what they can buy. And in a F2P game the need to buy things often disappears - why buy xp boosts when you are at max level for example. In this respect SWTOR is no different to lots of other games out there.

So give aways start - to try and show players are missing. And in the case of SWTOR the devs probably have added incentives to seek short term gains - on top of the game closures announced today there was another swathe of significant lay-offs announced at the end of last week: Sao Paulo studio closing and more lay-offs in Montreal.

Whilst I could be wrong based on my own business management experience the mantra will be to spend little, reduce costs as much as possible and chase as much short term revenue as possible by whatever means. 

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Guess quarterly financial reports are coming up soon ;)
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I don't know if it's a mistake or not,but I wouldn't say they're hurting and that's why you received the coin's.

It's terrible to mention Xfire on this site,but i'm just saying that the game look's to be doing much better then Tera and is actually holding up as good as GW2 when looking at decline over time,were taliking a 7 month game and a 15 month game.The game is back in top 10 on that site.

Anyway,this isn't to talk bad about GW2 or Tera (I've played all 3 game's the last few month's),it just look's like it's holding up pretty well since ftp went in.I have maybe 20 or so day's left on a 60 day pre buy and I didn't get any cc.Who know's what's going on,I don't think they're deperate though.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• pbernard1985pbernard1985 Member Posts: 20

I think there is something wrong with the program that calculates my Cartel Coins.

I havn't logged in since december.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by pbernard1985

I think there is something wrong with the program that calculates my Cartel Coins.

Their system can be really screwy at allocating the coin's.I had bought 2x 60 day time purchase a few month's back.When you buy a 60 day you get 525 a month instead of 500.My account recieved 25 then 500 a day later and about 7 day's later received another 525.It ended up correct,but the allocation time was really messed up.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by pbernard1985

I guess if you got security key you get 100 a month every month... no matter if you sub or not... though they had to mess up with March LOL Grats :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E