Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Camelot Unchained: Impossibly Driven By Hope?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest Social Hub column, we take a look at the KickStarter hopeful, Camelot Unchained. The game, at least in these earliest days, seems to be bent on reviving true community spirit in MMOs. See why we think so before heading to the comments.

Going back to DAoC, it was a funny place for a person like me to get a start in MMOs. I’m admittedly not so great at PvP and am more of an explorer, but that game still captivated me personally with all the possibilities. Turns out that I got caught up often in the world, in PvE content and in working together with others. When it came to sieges and trying to maintain or take keeps, I was never on the front lines or anything, but it always felt good to have a sense of collective purpose. Victories could be for a while after decimating a force that came thinking that we had some holes in our armor. It was exciting. It was massive and sometimes chaotic, and everyone was up and down, winning and losing, rebuilding and guarding.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's The Social Hub: Impossibly Driven By Hope?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    While I have my concerns in some regards , the best thing to me is Jacobs repeatedly stating they are shooting for a niche game and audience.
    The horribly bland , try and make everyone happy games are terrible in the past few years.
    If you aren't into RvR , want to play every faction on the same server , don't like PvP overall etc , they aren't making a game for you.
    Nor should they.
    I'm hoping a sub fee niche style mmorpg becomes more and more common as I personally prefer this type of idea.
    Their are plenty of non sub , try and please everyone bland games out there for those who want that kind of game.
  • skerge20skerge20 Member Posts: 3
    If its anything like DOAC or shadowbane Im in.
  • will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

So it sounds like you're saying, the old people need to just go to the retirement home and deal with the way things are now?  While you try to back off that, that's your general tone of this article.

Guess what? You kids can get off my lawn and you're not getting your ball back.

SWTOR WoW and GW2's awful copying of DAOC rvr are options for you.

Enjoy them, and blizzard will also have another dumbed down mmo for you soon.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

it's not hope, it's faith.

there is a difference :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Thane

It is hope - what has MJ done recently? If he was as good of a developer as people think he is, why hasn't he been involved with other games?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Is this a GW2 killer?
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    While I have my concerns in some regards , the best thing to me is Jacobs repeatedly stating they are shooting for a niche game and audience.
    The horribly bland , try and make everyone happy games are terrible in the past few years.
    If you aren't into RvR , want to play every faction on the same server , don't like PvP overall etc , they aren't making a game for you.
    Nor should they.
    I'm hoping a sub fee niche style mmorpg becomes more and more common as I personally prefer this type of idea.
    Their are plenty of non sub , try and please everyone bland games out there for those who want that kind of game.

Here here! QFEx2

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Thane

It is hope - what has MJ done recently? If he was as good of a developer as people think he is, why hasn't he been involved with other games?

recently?

well for one there was WAR (before the EA "push it" fiasco) which had quite the good ideas.

then there was daoc. 

recently enough for someone mid age :)

also, he is in a communication process with his fanbase, in this forums, on youtube, in his blog, that's sth not alot of developers did in the past.

if it's hope driving the fans, is it despair driving the other side? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Nor should they.

There is still a lot of niche sub games as well. The issue being they aren't financially viable for the long run unless the niche is big enough. Look at Mortal Online, very niche, never really had a big following (although a big issue was the fact that they had no idea how to actually develop the game). Shadowbane is another example of a game that had a very niche following and ended up biting the bullet. Darkfall Online is still around but with a very small following. Even DAOC which is still around only had 2k people online at a time back when the herald was still around and showed server activity, which wasn't that long ago.

I just have this feeling, the more they try to cater to certain crowds the less game life it will actually have. Unless the amount of subs somehow cover server, GM, content development, and bug fixing costs I can't see them getting very far in the long run. I'm very hopeful since this is actually the type of game I really would like to play, but there are plenty of people who steer clear on purpose from this type of game. 

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Nor should they.

There is still a lot of niche sub games as well. The issue being they aren't financially viable for the long run unless the niche is big enough. Look at Mortal Online, very niche, never really had a big following (although a big issue was the fact that they had no idea how to actually develop the game). Shadowbane is another example of a game that had a very niche following and ended up biting the bullet. Darkfall Online is still around but with a very small following. Even DAOC which is still around only had 2k people online at a time back when the herald was still around and showed server activity, which wasn't that long ago.

I just have this feeling, the more they try to cater to certain crowds the less game life it will actually have. Unless the amount of subs somehow cover server, GM, content development, and bug fixing costs I can't see them getting very far in the long run. I'm very hopeful since this is actually the type of game I really would like to play, but there are plenty of people who steer clear on purpose from this type of game. 

The key is expectations.   If you design your game to be the next "WoW killer" shooting for 5 million subs, of course your game is going to fail, in regards to hype and probably the ability to recoup the investment.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

@Botrytis - When EA and I parted ways I had a 1 year NCA (Non Competition Agreement). Once that ended I began negotiations with GigaMedia to set up a studio in Singapore. When that deal took too long to close, I walked away and set up a studio with Andrew Meggs in 2011. BY September 2011, most of the studio was staffed and we began work on March on Oz. MoO went up on iOS in the fall of 2012 (we're porting to Android/Ouya and maybe PC) currently. 

As to other games, well, Mythic created over 15 games & expansions during the 14 years I was there and prior to DAoC, our budgets for those games were <100K except for Aliens Online which had a total budget of 450K. We were among the few companies who were dedicated online game developers (Kesmai, ENGAGE Games Online, etc.) because we believed in the future of onine games and even though our budgets were tiny (as most were in that part of the industry then) we created a lot of games in a very short period of time.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Hjamnr
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Nor should they.

The key is expectations.   If you design your game to be the next "WoW killer" shooting for 5 million subs, of course your game is going to fail, in regards to hype and probably the ability to recoup the investment.

Yeah I'm not saying that you have to get 5 million subs. You just have to somehow prove yourself to the entire market for your specific niche to actually have it succeed in terms of making a profit. You can't have a game losing money and still running unless whoever is running it has a lot of money to blow (mortal online devs). That's the issue with niche games, there may be a somewhat large following but the amount a game actually costs is increasing so much it's almost not financially viable to make a niche game with what everyone in that niche wants.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I believe the expectations here are that this is doac only better. Unfortunately its probably not going to fill the shoes in the same way daoc did, that's just how things go.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The people over at CSE (specifically MJ) have stated since day 1 that CU is meant to be a niche game for a specific mmo fanbase. This means:

EVEN THE DEVELOPERS EXPECT IT TO ONLY HAVE A SMALL'ISH AMOUNT OF PLAYERS!!!!

All this talk about hype and expectations when the game will most likely NOT be played by the majority of players on general gaming sites is nothing but contrived BS made up by the general public.

I cannot fathom why Daoc and RvR fans can't simply talk about the possibility of a game that might interest them without all this "what if" bullshit conjecture.

I can see it now that even if this game gets made and released there will be tons of posts about how the game failed because it wasn't a Wow or GW2 killers. Again, even the DEVELOPERS have said from day one that they expect this game to only have a small and specific audience.

Now if someone tells you something over and over and over again and you still go out of your way to ignore it, it only means one simple thing: you are a complete idiot. It boggles the mind that other popular games do exist completely different than todays watered down and stupified themepark mmos (ie. Eve) that are complex and require a large learning curve yet when a new game comes around saying they want to be different you still have people saying "Nope! Can't be done!". It already has been proven it can be done. It was being done over 10 years ago. Players are screaming for change and want it done.

The game can only prove itself once it is made so talking about if it should be made is asinine. Any game should be allowed to be made. Ideas should be allowed to be nurtured. The players will decide whether or not it is played AFTER release.

You stay sassy!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

If the article were written by someone that had played the early years of Ultima Online/Asheron's Call/DAOC/EQ I could take their point of view. The author seems a bit young and has probably been playing or writing about mmo's since WoW came out maybe?

The article to me, comes off as if telling the veteran mmorpg'ers to move on and get with the WoW clone mmo's grind program and deal with it. It seems the author is quite fine with mediocre mmorpg's, we veteran Mmorpg'ers, however, are NOT ok with mediocrity.

What's funny is you can go even now and look at DAOC or Asheron's Call or Ultima Online, even as old as they are, how the worlds feel alive, and there's so much to do in them without having the ! npc quest grinds. There's more content in those games and more innovation than most of today's mmorpg's. The communities in those games were wonderful before the games aged away.

Community and fun is what I seek, and you cannot have that with the larger mmo's these days, they're all WoW clones looking for hundreds of thousands to millions of players. There's no way for people to really get to know each other and enjoy their playtime in mmo's anymore. Today's mmo's feel like a second job when you log in. You log in, do dailies, que up for dungeon dailies with random people, barely even speak the whole time, finish your dailies, and you're done for the day.

I'm looking for community and fun, not a second job.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Hard to determine at this stage what kind of success they will find.  Many pvp games fail because of replayability.  DAoC offered a very large pvp are with varied landscape.  Could be a winner if they do it right.  You won't have the pve grind and can focus on your pvp abilities.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

i'll admit headstart that i'm one of the biggest fans of CU (i know its not there yet, but you know what i mean).

CU being announced as a niche game is the best and honest move CSE could have made. The hype really comes from the old DAoC players thats for sure, but there is nothing wrong with that either. it just shows that there is quite many people that wants what Christina mentionned, go back to the roots of mmorpgs, where our choices matter, and not just repeating grinding.

a lot of studios try to make their games fun, but mostly focus on a game system that will make you want to stay for years ; better equipment, always higher levels. grinding.

(in my opinion) Old school mmos were more built toward real fun, meaningful actions, pride, sense of accomplishment, sens of community, where your actions could change many things in game. That is what kept us playing...No tricks, No instant gratification, no special effects to blind you away from the fact that a lot of games are lacking actual depth.

I always compare games to movies, in the 1st decade of the 21st century, we witnessed tons of new movies with more and more special effects, vast amount of money spent toward all CG, but lots of them lacked a good deep storyline.

But there are still some people that wants to see good movies, with interesting characters, a good storyline, good punches etc.

of course those movies arent the summers'blockbusters, but there are still people that prefers those "low budget" movies... Less people i admit, but there is still a clientele.

Same goes for CU. It will never reach 10 millions subscribers (granted it funds), and from day it's been said it wasnt the objective.

The game will be for those that wants to play something different than what  is offered in general, And the fans and backers are very happy that.

We are VERY happy that someone wants to make a game for us, finally.

This explains very well why the CU forums here is on fire lately. Fans are not only fans, they are believers, they been wanting a game like that for years. on the other side, there are the others, wich CU's descriptions isnt what they want. and even though i've been very "incendiary" at times responding to them, i cannot blame them. because what they like in games is already outthere by the dozens, so they cant be as enthusiastic as we are, because for us,

well, Because CU could be THE ONE we been waiting for.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I've "moved on" from MMO's. Because there are none out today that interest me. While I don't expect CU to be perfect, I do think it could reignite my love of this genre again.
  • BeggarKingBeggarKing Member UncommonPosts: 15
    There's about seven and a half thousand ppl who disagree and I suspect many more are waiting before jumping aboard, I would guess about 10k by the end of KS. I don't mind paying £10 a month to play so x10 by 10,000 a month and I think the game will scrape by somehow
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

There's been no illusions from the get go that this will be a niche market. A lot of people are craving a  game like this vehemently, and will be a diehard group of playerse vs the very casual modern mmo market you see elsewhere. The big game publishers/devs to this point haven't tried something as bold as this, BECAUSE they know its a niche. They all have it in their head they have to make these huge budget giant themepark mmos, that leave those of us that want features like this sitting on the side sighing time and time again with reskinned mmo clone after mmo clone come out. Lots of letdowns over the years in that  regard. They're thinking revues/profits, and want  the biggest playerbases possible (either for more micro transactions in a f2p/b2p model, or more subs in a sub model)

People need to realize, and have the same epiphany we did, that big player numbers doesn't necessarily = good, especially considering the subjective nature of what different players consider good.

Will CU be perfect? No nothing ever is. Will it still be full of people with different opinions that debate how things should be done? of course, we're all human after all, and that's human nature.

They do have the cojones though to flat out challenge some of the modern mmorpg tropes, and flat out say we're going to do something different/sometimes contrary to what all the big game publishers/devs say is the way everyone should do it now.

I think that's the source of a lot of the hate on CU. It's challenging what all these themepark & big money publishers have been trying to establish as the only way to do things. People don't want their worldview challenged. =)

I do personally feel like these big game publishers/devs have abandoned the players that helped get the mmorpg genre off the ground in the first place in late 90's and early 2000's. They want more players, and don't mind dropping the mmo vets in the dust to get that done. We've been kind of abandoned. Heck I'm playing EVE now, and leaving all the themepark mmo's for the kiddies.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179

I would like to personally thank the author for letting me that the gaming world has 'moved on'. Yes, I am aware of that. Painfully, excruciatingly all too aware. The MMORPG genre has 'moved on' to:

• single player quest leveling
    • daily quest grinding
    • gear grinding / token of the day grinding
    • random group and dungeon finders
    • zero tools for the community to hold ass-hats accountable
    • zero incentive for grouping
    • repetitive scripted PvE encounters
    • tacked on and lackluster instanced 5 minute 'scenarios' for PvP
    • unimaginative mirrored classes
    • balancing RvR / PvP to the scripted PvE encounters
    The list of trite bullshit offered by the developers that have 'moved on' goes on and on and on. And with each iteration, the quality of both game and player have suffered tremendously for it.

The reality of it is, the 'old-school DAoC' community has never died, and it has never gone away. It is as vibrant as it ever was, and you can witness that just by the amount of community fan-sites, message boards, and even by the growing community of backers being developed on the Kickstarter page itself.

Implying that having that sense of community and Realm Pride again is a pipe dream because the genre has 'moved on' is pedantic at best. It isn't that these things do not or can not exisit again in the genre, it is that the genre has spent the last 10 years taking away the tools that the community used to foster that Realm Pride by giving us the trash of today's MMORPGs I listed above.

I'm glad you enjoyed DAoC's PvE, however, it seems that by admittedly focusing on that aspect of the game and staying off of the 'front-lines' you missed a lot of what DAoC offered while still managing to have fun and feel that you were contributing. Not many of today's MMOs can provide you with that. They haven't come close.

This is not DAoC. This is not DAoC 2. This is a place where a developer finally has the balls to let go of my hand while I cross the road with a group of my like-minded friends. It just so happens that the developer who introduced us to Realm Pride and RvR is the developer who is potentially offering all of us old-fucks an MMO home again - and thank God.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Edany

I would like to personally thank the author for letting me that the gaming world has 'moved on'. Yes, I am aware of that. Painfully, excruciatingly all too aware. The MMORPG genre has 'moved on' to:

• single player quest leveling
    • daily quest grinding
    • gear grinding / token of the day grinding
    • random group and dungeon finders
    • zero tools for the community to hold ass-hats accountable
    • zero incentive for grouping
    • repetitive scripted PvE encounters
    • tacked on and lackluster instanced 5 minute 'scenarios' for PvP
    • unimaginative mirrored classes
    • balancing RvR / PvP to the scripted PvE encounters
    The list of trite bullshit offered by the developers that have 'moved on' goes on and on and on. And with each iteration, the quality of both game and player have suffered tremendously for it.

The reality of it is, the 'old-school DAoC' community has never died, and it has never gone away. It is as vibrant as it ever was, and you can witness that just by the amount of community fan-sites, message boards, and even by the growing community of backers being developed on the Kickstarter page itself.

Implying that having that sense of community and Realm Pride again is a pipe dream because the genre has 'moved on' is pedantic at best. It isn't that these things do not or can not exisit again in the genre, it is that the genre has spent the last 10 years taking away the tools that the community used to foster that Realm Pride by giving us the trash of today's MMORPGs I listed above.

I'm glad you enjoyed DAoC's PvE, however, it seems that by admittedly focusing on that aspect of the game and staying off of the 'front-lines' you missed a lot of what DAoC offered while still managing to have fun and feel that you were contributing. Not many of today's MMOs can provide you with that. They haven't come close.

This is not DAoC. This is not DAoC 2. This is a place where a developer finally has the balls to let go of my hand while I cross the road with a group of my like-minded friends. It just so happens that the developer who introduced us to Realm Pride and RvR is the developer who is potentially offering all of us old-fucks an MMO home again - and thank God.

Bravo! Good post.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by viney123

The jackass behind Camelot Unchained sees no potential in F2P, and says it'll most die out within a few years. He's the idiot to think games like his will live on forever, while many games go F2P and many great games were F2P from the start. You can still have a community as an F2P, and many P2P communities can be just as bad!

Stick ,l, up yours, developer of Camelot Unchained, and have rooty tooty kickstarter failure with that!

The ad hominem is in bad form. [Mod Edit?]

Business model <-> Game Design. It depends.

-

Originally posted by Christina Gonzalez

But without a full world, without good PvE content, could a community grow as before? EVE Online is an example in the affirmative.

There is a market for niche games, and CSE is aiming for that. Camelot Unchained is a working title, so further distinguishing it from DAoC is a good thing. Unveiling an actual title and revealing more ways for players to interact and go through experiences together other than building forts and having dependence upon crafters is important if CU wants to give a sense of community importance. I hope the project is funded so we can ultimately see just what kind of game it turns out to be. Kickstarter is home to many nostalgia projects, and indeed, these often seem to the ones getting funded much of the time. Never underestimate people’s good memories and great experiences. But sometimes, maybe the world really has moved on.

Yeah, RvRvR is fun core gameplay - definitely. But what supports it? That is the question that this mmo-rpg needs to be able to address additionally. Secondly the combat if the core really needs to be amazingly fun eg Chivalry viseral fun or otherwise experience a Medieval + supernatural magic melange of blood-splattery?!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by will75

So it sounds like you're saying, the old people need to just go to the retirement home and deal with the way things are now?  While you try to back off that, that's your general tone of this article.

Because Mark Jacobs doesn't deserve my money.

He had his chance with one of the largest IP's in the world. Warhammer. And screwed up beyond any words!

Just like Richard Garriott doesn't deserve my money either.

Both of these over-inflated EGO trippers had a huge studio under their bumbs, plenty of great talent at their finger tips and over 40 million US dollars in funding and more than enough time (5+ years)!

They had all the ingredients they needed to make a great game! (Warhammer Online and Tabula Rasa) and screwed it up BIG TIME!

Same thing with Bioware and SW:TOR! They had the largest budget ever! They had a huge amount of talent at their disposal! They had plenty of time (5+ years)!  And screwed up BIG TIME!

Publishers, in this case EA and NCSoft, had nothing to do with these debacles, as they gave them enough money and enough time to deliver the product.

It's not like they had to rush it to market within 2 years, like ATARI forced Cryptic to with CO and STO.

So please explain to me why this time it would be any different with Mr. Jacobs and Mr.Garriott?

I cannot believe how short of  memory people have these days.

I know it's always easy to portray publishers as the BIG BAD WOLF these days. And in case of EA it's sadly often true lately!

But for the above, EA and NCSoft were sertainly not to blame. Sorry, but that is just very naive.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by will75

Because Mark Jacobs doesn't deserve my money.

He had his chance with one of the largest IP's in the world. Warhammer. And screwed up beyond any words!

Just like Richard Garriott doesn't deserve my money either.

Both of these over-inflated EGO trippers had a huge studio under their bumbs, plenty of great talent at their finger tips and over 40 million US dollars in funding and more than enough time (5+ years)!

They had all the ingredients they needed to make a great game! (Warhammer Online and Tabula Rasa) and screwed it up BIG TIME!

Same thing with Bioware and SW:TOR! They had the largest budget ever! They had a huge amount of talent at their disposal! They had plenty of time (5+ years)!  And screwed up BIG TIME!

Publishers, in this case EA and NCSoft, had nothing to do with these debacles, as they gave them enough money and enough time to deliver the product.

It's not like they had to rush it to market within 2 years, like ATARI forced Cryptic to with CO and STO.

So please explain to me why this time it would be any different with Mr. Jacobs and Mr.Garriott?

I cannot believe how short of  memory people have these days.

I know it's always easy to portray publishers as the BIG BAD WOLF these days. And in case of EA it's sadly often true lately!

But for the above, EA and NCSoft were sertainly not to blame. Sorry, but that is just very naive.

Actually, we had three years. We signed the license deal for Warhammer at E3 June 2005, released in September 2008. Plus, the original development timeline for WAR was 2  years and we had two delays and I had to fight to get it to 3 years.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment