Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did you expect ?!

Comments

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

At this stage of the game I expected pretty much what we saw.  Placeholder / low quality textures, placeholder UI.

If this was coming out in a month then yes I would understand the whining, but it's not.  I'm not saying it will be the second coming of video gaming like some are but it should be worth a look...when it comes out in Q3/Q4.

The people who are dissapointed with that video are the ones who were hyping themselves into a frenzy, and the ones who are cheering the death of the game are the same as those who were before the video was released.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

what is elder scrolls online?!?!

:D

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    The only question now is if EOS will hit the shitpipe faster than SWOTR. 
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Miblet

At this stage of the game I expected pretty much what we saw.  Placeholder / low quality textures, placeholder UI.

If this was coming out in a month then yes I would understand the whining, but it's not.  I'm not saying it will be the second coming of video gaming like some are but it should be worth a look...when it comes out in Q3/Q4.

Here I agree with ya mate.  I saw nothing out of the ordinary for this point in beta from my experience.  I was surprised how much it looked and played like an elder scrolls game, based on all the 'who-haw'n' that was going on a month or so ago I thought otherwise.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I'm surprised noone mentioned one glaring missing feature; Radiant AI. The NPC are just standing there. There is no ES series with static NPCs.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by baphamet

i blame wow lol

we seen on the wow forums that if you cry loud enough eventually you might get your way.

And the result of all this whining is: WoW clones:P

Indeed whine enough you get what you ask for and deserve:)

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    I'm surprised noone mentioned one glaring missing feature; Radiant AI. The NPC are just standing there. There is no ES series with static NPCs.

Hello THEMEPARK hello WAKE UP waxmuseum mmo WAXMUSEUM what you expect hehe.

A brilliant sandbox ala morrowind/skyrim in mmo, never gonne happen.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

The NPC's do react to your presence. And define themepark. The game basically brags about the main feature in the game is freedom. So you may go where ever you please and skip whatever quests you like and still progress in a proper manner. Of course you can't skip all quest but atleast you aren't on any rails.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I am preplexed with amount of whining over the leaked video.

"The game looks terrible!" ... fanboys leaving.

But I wonder, honestly : What did you expect ?

Cause I aint seeing anything that would in any way contradict anything that was said and reported about game so far.

So what made you scream "bloody murder" now ?

Is it graphics ? Because in beta only the lowest resolution textures are enabled and 3d effects are on bare minimum. Its only in late beta cycles that they enable all "eye candy" ... but you knew that , right ?

Is it animations ? Because in Beta most animations are placeholders...

Is it the fact its just another MMO with zero innovation ?

But you knew that before....

So why complain now ?

I am more excited then I ever was, but maybe because I can look at something with an analytica leye and see something for what it is trying to be and understand the limitations that are in place at the time of the showing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by pmnx

I expected a AAA mmorpg developped during 5 years by Mat Firror.

And for one vote to the other side as well, I personally expected an Elder Scrolls game, only this time Online (like the name stated) with fellow Elder Scrolls fans :)

So when I first heard about the whole TES-skinned DAoC2 shenanigan I scraped it off from the "waiting" list... and only with the recent news picked up the line again, but I admit I'm still on the fence with TESO, since it still looks way too daoc-ish for my taste.

Just out of curiosity, but what exactly are you seeing (other than the 3 factions) that makes the game look like a DAoC clone?

The only part of the game that we know of that shares commonality w/ DAoC is the faction PvP, of which we haven't seen anything about it really. We just know it's supposed to exist.

lol; the arbitrary separation of Tamriel's races into 3 factions (really, why? I know ofc that you can twist the lore as you want to make it believable, but this looks like forced RvRvR to me), and the fact that each faction is restricted to its own PvE-leveling zone(s) with only one common zone to fight.

This is as DAoC as it gets.

SO we get a DAoC game ontop of an already established TES PvE game.  I dunno bout anyone else but that means double the content, woot.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• spladianspladian Member UncommonPosts: 20

Kids, kids... why complain about the graphics? Going by steam hardware surveys these graphics would tax your computer.

You'd be surprised how much better a game looks on a 30 inch monitor... or 3 1080p's linked in portrait for 3240x1920 resolution.

Don't worry though.  A summer job at Mcdonald's is right around the corner. That'll help pay for an upgrade.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I think it looks great, can't wait to get in beta.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

I ripped about 4 videos from YT.  If anyone didn't get a chance  PM me.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I think it is simple not fair to bring stuff outside of an existand NDA, a NON disclosure agreement.

So there was some fool breaking the NDA and complaining about whatever.

That only, to "save" the community from possible POS while that is - what we all know - a matter of taste.

Originally posted by rawfox

I think it is simple not fair to bring stuff outside of an existand NDA, a NON disclosure agreement.

That only, to "save" the community from possible POS while that is - what we all know - a matter of taste.

Character creation looked phenom

Skills and abilities looked vast

Jumping, movement, responsiveness was very fluid and organic

No invisable walls, could roam wherever

Graphics looked very good

Dungeon/city looked and felt like a dungeon/city does in TES

Not sure what they are sad about, looks to be shaping up nicely imo, I am excited. I want to play this bad.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

well, it could happen but it would take a truly bold company with innovative ideas, not a newly-founded one, jugling on a huge budget that's anxious to get a share of the pie with a "me too" WoW 1.5 clone.

Unfortunately, that's all we're getting, WoW 1.5.

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by rawfox

Character creation looked phenom

Skills and abilities looked vast

Jumping, movement, responsiveness was very fluid and organic

No invisable walls, could roam wherever

Graphics looked very good

Dungeon/city looked and felt like a dungeon/city does in TES

Not sure what they are sad about, looks to be shaping up nicely imo, I am excited. I want to play this bad.

You and me both brother, you and me both.

While I personally had no issues with the game in the vid it was obvious the loser did everything within his power to make the game appear worse then it was.

Another thing that no one is bothering to bring up and I havnt heard one response on, the locale this video is shot in leaves alot to be desired from an aesthetic POV since this areas is a Desert.  Very hard to spruce up a desert and make it look alive.  Just wait till you see Vids coming from areas such as Black Marsh, Skyrim, Elsweyr and Morrowind.  I think the tune of alot of people will change once they see areas commonly assosiated with TES game.

• arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    480p(bad quality) stream with bad bit rate best you can hope for out of this video is a snapshot of what the game looks like on lowest settings in bad 480p quality but only when hes standing still its worse than that when hes moving

well, it could happen but it would take a truly bold company with innovative ideas, not a newly-founded one, jugling on a huge budget that's anxious to get a share of the pie with a "me too" WoW 1.5 clone.

Unfortunately, that's all we're getting, WoW 1.5.

What features does ESO use that copy WoW?  Cause I sure as **** don't see it.  In fact games like Wildstar and ArcheAge have way more in common with WoW then ESO ever will.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

The state of the graphics on this are irrelevant - it has been translated into another format at 'whatever' resolution and bears little relation to still screenshots - which should represent the look of top of the range machines running the game.

UI beta graphic presets are unrepresentative until such time as you are running a graphics stress test.

One wouldn't run such a test at an Expo giving people 20 mins each - crashes would piss everyone off and defeat the object...

The animations however were possibly more representative - so I hope that aspect will be better at release - they were largely wooden and unrealistic.

Lastly, no-one can judge the state of gameplay from a PvE perspective (quest, combat etc.) with 20 minutes of gameplay in a beta where around 10% of your alocated time is spent making the character sleep...

Add beta, to starter area, to what appeared to be a confused and directionless player and we get an largely unrepresentative segment of video from which few conclusions (even interim conclusions) can be drawn.

No point being upset or delighted by this - it is extremely unlikely to significantly resemble the shipped product.

• SilveruneSilverune Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Looked terrible..They have a long way to go before release. Not just in terms of graphics that can be fixed but the combat looked awful, the quests dull. To me it looked liked a bad korean import of AOC.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I am preplexed with amount of whining over the leaked video.

"The game looks terrible!" ... fanboys leaving.

I think it's just players who live to be hysterical.

The game actually does look better than what was shown on that video. Not leagues better. it doesn't look like skyrim. It can't look like a first person game because it's a large scale battle game.

The combat, whether in the end someone likes it or not,  was not well represented as all the player did was left click. Didn't use skills, didn't use power attacks, etc.

Also he was level 1.

Other than that, the game is what they said it was. An mmo version of Elder Scrolls.

Players need to stop dipping into their fantasies to hype up these games and start taking things at face value.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Silverune
    Looked terrible..They have a long way to go before release. Not just in terms of graphics that can be fixed but the combat looked awful, the quests dull. To me it looked liked a bad korean import of AOC.

While I agree they have a ways to go before release this video is not indicitive of actual gameplay.  The guy didn't even complete a single quest let alone give you an ideal on what style of questing the game utilyzes.  The combat looked bad because the guy was bad.....well thats actually giving bad a bad name.  This guy was an utter fool when it came to combat, but then again I suspect he intentionallly played that way to prove an agenda.  Backpeddling, blocking when at 1% health, no strafing, and less we forget he is level, 1 with only a staff.  I would advise anyone to not look at level 1 combat as indicitive of future gameplay.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

Well, I expected a casual, combat-centric, story-driven, online cooperative arcade with a couple of RP features, a not-too complex crafting minigame and a huge combat-centric PvP battleground.

I thought mine were not exaggerated expectations, as every mainstream MMO (allow me to omit the RPG part from the acronym as it is not relevant any more) has been doing the same since BC-WoW - and failing accordingly, as we all know.

But that's not the point. The question is that if you have opted for a game model that, in its essence, is not precisely complex or substancial, it's unacceptable that the eye-candy, immediate factors (such as animations, graphics, voice overs, combat mechanics and so on) are average at best, as the leaked video shows - and don't be naive and remember MMORPG history: this is a beta, significant changes are not going to happen.

Another point is that the market is currently overflowed with MMOs that offer the very same model that Zenimax  is proposing, so it rather makies sense that Zenimax would have walked the extra mile to reinforce the aforementioned areas.

Besides the market saturation of this mmo model, it's perfectly ok to design a fun ride-in-the-park game that you can play casually alongside your wife and children. Perfectly ok as I say, but do it in quality fashion for the love of god....

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    It did look really bad. I was hopeing for more but it is what it is. This and Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn are on my MMO plate and from watching the leak video i think im going to pass on ESO . I will still test it if selected to . But man that was unexpected

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link