Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these dead MMO titles should not have been shut down

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rodingo

I actually picked MXO even though I knew SWG (though it was hands down the buggiest MMO I have ever played) would win this poll.  However I hope it's for pre-NGE.  As for MXO, I was probably one of the few that liked the interlock combat system they had.  It was kind of a cool, cinematic, quasi-turnbased, sort-of-strategic mechanic that was fun to watch.  Specially when bullet time would randomly kick in.  However the overall game was one of the worst offenders of repetitive gameplay.  That was actually the first MMO I have ever heard doing a "live story" arc. Too bad the Wachowski,..umm ...siblings didn't stick with continuously writing the story.  I actually liked the character developement/progression as well.

So yeh, TLDR: I voted for MXO for giggles and becuase I liked the combat.

MXO combat was fun as long as servers were stable.. i almost always had so much server lag for some reason i remember.. and yea you were VERY limited on missions and basically did the same ones over and over and over

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by rodingo

I actually picked MXO even though I knew SWG (though it was hands down the buggiest MMO I have ever played) would win this poll.  However I hope it's for pre-NGE.  As for MXO, I was probably one of the few that liked the interlock combat system they had.  It was kind of a cool, cinematic, quasi-turnbased, sort-of-strategic mechanic that was fun to watch.  Specially when bullet time would randomly kick in.  However the overall game was one of the worst offenders of repetitive gameplay.  That was actually the first MMO I have ever heard doing a "live story" arc. Too bad the Wachowski,..umm ...siblings didn't stick with continuously writing the story.  I actually liked the character developement/progression as well.

So yeh, TLDR: I voted for MXO for giggles and becuase I liked the combat.

I liked the interlock combat.  If you are were ever going to do a MMORPG with more of a hardcore table-top feel, you would need to do something similar. 

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I voted city of heros not because it was the game I liked most. But because it still had a dedicated community and it wasn't losing money

SWG was going to be the clear winner.

It's funny.  If SWG was rereleased, would SWTOR have to shut down?  It seems like the only people playing SWTOR are hardcore Star Wars fans, so it would certainly hurt.  SWG had great community tools, so I suspect that game would, going forward, have better longevity and would be easier for developers to maintain that longevity.  IMO, Raph Koster didn't make a great game, but he was certainly right about many things.

I voted for Shadowbane: considering all the people that have been introduced to MMOs since then, I wish more people had had a chance to play it. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    SWG (even at the end of its life) was a much better game than SWTOR, that doesn't change the fact (as much as I dislike it) that SWTOR now has more players than SWG ever had. 

simply because MMos weren't that widely popular when SWG came out, still it had a huge playerbase compared to the market a decade ago.

Today a SWG2 with shiny graphics would instantly kill SWTOR on launch day. That's why we can't have it.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I voted city of heros not because it was the game I liked most. But because it still had a dedicated community and it wasn't losing money

Chornicles of Spellborn, Shadowbane, City of Heroes... it's the worse when original IPs go belly up... especially when they are pretty engaging.  Granted, City of Heroes was pretty standard comic book stuff, but Paragon City was meticulously well designed.  Chronicles of Spellborn seems like a world that would have been perfect for piquing people's interest and curiousity.  Shadowbane had very unique and well written lore.  A roleplay clan even made a language for the Irekei.   If a Star Wars game goes down, there's always going to be another one waiting in the wings; and hopefully Mythic has nothing to do with it next time.

Not sure if Turbine got enough credit when they brought back AC2.  I'm not playing it atm, but I did give it my $10 stamp of approval.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I say CoH.

As much as I liked Galaxies, it was always in a rough state.

CoH, however, worked and worked well.  It had polish--and further development potential--like no other.  The mechanics were solid.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85
    I want swg, no question

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

By far Star Wars Galaxies!

I would even contest that SWG (even in its last days) was and is a better game than Star Wars The Old Republic. I wish SWG was still around!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

My pick was EnB. It never really got a chance imo, EA bought it out and then out of the blue shut it down. I myself think it had a great story/lore background and would have loved to see more done with it.

I was also a subscriber at the time it was axed and so that of course has something to do with my vote.

SWG.... a very close second.... I should rephrase that and say "SWG pre-CU" was a close second. I was no fan of the NGE but I do understand how it's Players feel.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Tabula Rasa for my choice, I enjoyed playing the PVP in it with my clan.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Tabula Rasa. Unlike the other games had it still pretty many players and they had just fixed most of the bugs. The same can be said about Sims online. If they had put a bit more work in those game they might have turned around.

SWG was tragical but it just didnt have enough players left.

Some of the other games had potential but they all had some fatal flaws. It always suck when they close down a MMO but few companies can afford to have games running with a few thousand players. 

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Where is Auto Assault or Seed?
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

what's your point? the OP was a hypothetical question to see what shutdown game people would like back the most

That is actually not what the op said. The op actually implies which one was shut down before its time had come, to which the answer is none of them. There is a reason each and every one of them had the plug pulled, and every single one was valid.

guess that's true he does say should not of been shut down....what's considered valid? if there is enough of a playerbase to keep a game alive and profitable and it closes for other reasons is that not a good enough reason that people should not want the game back?

is a dev destroying their own game by completely changing its core foundations people came to love over the years to the point almost no one wants to play instead of just polishing up and fixing the problems that were there then shutting it down valid reason for people? 

I am not aware of a single game that has had its plug pulled that continued to be profitable. Not to mention a single game that went through such a change when said change was not valid at the time. As much as you want to mince words Coh was shown to have increased revenue, but not to show it was profitable, and Swg prior to the Nge was losing signifigant numbers every month, such a change was a gamble to be sure, but if you are damned if you don't its generally worth it to risk the damned if you do.

Originally posted by FromHell

simply because MMos weren't that widely popular when SWG came out, still it had a huge playerbase compared to the market a decade ago.

Today a SWG2 with shiny graphics would instantly kill SWTOR on launch day. That's why we can't have it.

You have no evidence for that and you know it. Continuing to parrot it will do you no good, especially when there is evidence to suggest otherwise.
  • minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Mythosaeon

One way or another they all died due to self-inflicted wounds.

I think Star Wars Galaxies would actually have a sucessful re-release - in it's original form - say 4-6 months after release,  before all the rampant nerfing and later CU and NGE disasters.  

Im curious though, what makes you think SWG pre CU/NGE would do better today, than back in 2004? I know many people like to put on rose colored glasses and assume SWG was doing perfectly fine before "LucasArts forced CU/NGE on us for no reason", but there is no ignoring the fact that CU/NGE was a last ditch effort to stop the subs from bleeding.

My vote is Earth and Beyond, that game was the tits.

I,m going to take a guess you were not playing SWG back then . As i was and your statement is utter rubbish it was not bleeding subs we had busy servers until the CU . From then on it went down hill fast , and i dont own rose glasses thx get your facts right

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Was still playing Auto Assault when it ws shutdown. Fun game.

SWG was a great game with a lot of stuff that made the game very unique and actually felt like a huge world/universe. Didn't play past the NGE, sort of spoiled the point of the game.

MxO never got to play but would have liked the oppertunity to try. There sounded like some pretty cool ststem mechanics.

COH was a great game, bit repatative at points but the ability to make a unique character both visually and skill wise was fantastic. I was not playing when it closed but would have kept returning to the game, still kind of baffled why it closed.

if I had to choose 1 game to come back...SWG I guess simply because of the many things it had that I thought were essential for an MMO.

It had housing, really fantastic housing, especially when you could turn your house into a place to sell your goods. You could also live anywhere (can't remember if there were restrictions though).

Crafting was amazing, so detailed and really allowed for specilization. Crafting needs to give dedicated people the chance to excel rather then a system where everyone  can make the same items.

PvP was done well. Although I wasn't much into PvP back then I did think their system worked very well.

The world was actually a world to explore and live in. Too many MMO's forget to have worlds nowadays and instead give you a series of graphical backdrops with rollercoaster rides to see the view.

• SadareSadare Member UncommonPosts: 15

City of Heroes as that game imo was very much alive for me. Was regualry playing most evenings, and teh only game i have ever maintaed an unbroken sub on. COH is being  missed  :(

I cant say for SWG as never played it, but looks like it is a game i should have taken a look at since it get such good praise, and ment to be far better then the current Star Wars game out there.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by minime2
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Mythosaeon

One way or another they all died due to self-inflicted wounds.

I think Star Wars Galaxies would actually have a sucessful re-release - in it's original form - say 4-6 months after release,  before all the rampant nerfing and later CU and NGE disasters.  

Im curious though, what makes you think SWG pre CU/NGE would do better today, than back in 2004? I know many people like to put on rose colored glasses and assume SWG was doing perfectly fine before "LucasArts forced CU/NGE on us for no reason", but there is no ignoring the fact that CU/NGE was a last ditch effort to stop the subs from bleeding.

My vote is Earth and Beyond, that game was the tits.

I,m going to take a guess you were not playing SWG back then . As i was and your statement is utter rubbish it was not bleeding subs we had busy servers until the CU . From then on it went down hill fast , and i dont own rose glasses thx get your facts right

I was there at the begining. SWG Pre-CU was a buggy, unbalanced, laggy, mess of a game. Infact a game released like that today wouldn't last a month. The servers were pretty busy but as soon as WoW came along a lot of the people left. The CU and NGE were attempts by SOE to try and stop the bleeding. You just can't argue that.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Easily SWG, it was a true tragedy when it was shut down. It was a beautiful game. 

Shadowbane comes as a very close second, another big hit to the gaming community when it was shut down. Both of these games deserve to be ressurected. 

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

Tabula Rasa ... omg i miss this game so much >.<

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

SOE epic fails in business decision making. They considered spawning off SWG NGE into a different game; instead of overwriting the existing SWG. So they 'almost' made the right decision.

On a side note, I noticed a WoW lego game in a store the other day. Blizzard gets an A+ in marketing and winning the hearts and minds. SOE gets an F (failing).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Wanna have more choices than just one...

Star Wars Galaxies
    City of Heroes
    Tabula Rasa
    Black Prophecy

SWG - played it a bit, liked it but think I was oto late to get really started with it :(

CoH - Not my kinda game (don't like the super hero genre), but it was still provitable but NC KOrea shut it down

TR - Liked it a lot, but sadly I started it 2 weeks before the shot-down notice was give (did give me Aion though)

BP - Good game but bad choice in publisher.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Voted other: Asheron's Call 3.

I can happily say I msut be one of the few to have never played SWG and thank god.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Ultima Online 2 aka Ultima Worlds Online, it was shutdown before it was even given a chance.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    SWG, but not in it's NGE form.