Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried, i really did...

Comments

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by vulanx
    Originally posted by Hjamnr
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Taus i respected you for your greed monger thread which was right on the button but you're wrong here. MJ has 30 years of experience making games, So why don't you just wait and see before getting your troll costume on.

And 1 good game..... just 1..

That you're aware of.   And most people developing games don't even have that.

OK what am I not aware of then Hjamnr?

What are you considering his "1 good game"?

DAoC 

That was his best, absolutely.

Previously they had "Darkness Falls", which was somewhat well received, from what I understand, but limited to AOL's game service at the time.

Then there is also WAR, which while disappointing, most of the sections MJ had direct influence on were great.  Namely, T1 & T2.

DAoC was best, in large part, because they were working in an "Indie" environment, which it appears is where MJ thrives.  Not saying he didn't make some mistakes, in that era, but he has "owned up" to those.   Once you got EA involved, it became a whole new ball of wax, with all the corporate crap associated with that.   You probably know, but if not you can ask anyone:  Anything EA touches becomes corrupted and dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwiogFmg7OU

And?

He was working in the management of a public corporation, at the time.  I am sorry if you don't understand what that means, but I will try to explain a little of it.

When you are working in upper management of a corporation, you generally don't have day-to-day "hands on" on any project you are overseeing.  You have managers and leads who provide you with data, which is all you have to work off of.  If they provide you with misleading or erroneous data, you don't have any basis to question this, assuming you trust the staff working under you.

A second part of this is that, as an executive, you are always expected to put the best face on your products.  You do not air your internal disagreements and conflicts to the press and the public.  It's just not done.

Those two should allow you to at least get a small grasp on the situation Mark Jacobs was in, during that period.  This combined with some family issues during the year, prior to WAR's launch, unfortunately put him in a situation to be the scapegoat for all consumer angst when WAR launched, and since.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by taus01

... He comes off like a nobhead.

OH SWEET IRONY, HOW YOUR HONEYED DRIP SATES MINE SOUL!

Good luck to the game but i am out.

Let's be honest... you were never in, to begin with.

I'm sorry for the venomous response, but I'm quickly growing frustrated with the negative threads from those who have not made it their business to understand what the KS is intended to accomplish and/or how the game is intended to play.

If you are not interested in this type of game, that is perfectly fine and I encourage you to seek entertainment elsewhere (as many others have done, as well.)  But please don't complain about this or that missing when those things were never intended to be revealed at this stage, in the first place.

It's like walking into a Synogogue and complaining that there's no bacon.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• CincCinc Member Posts: 8
    Can someone please explain why anyone would actually take the time to complain about an idea you have nothing invested in? You haven't bought anything so you have no skin in the game. If you don't like the idea, don't back it, really simple. Don't expect them to change their idea and vision to please you. You either agree or disagree with them. Why post all this negative crap about a game that doesn't even exist yet? So you don't like or trust Jacobs, why share this in threads about this game? Why not go to the forums of the games which you've actually bought and have a reason to dislike and vent your frustrations there? Anyone posting all this negative stuff about a game that doesn't exist and which they have nothing invested in is just a troll in my eyes. Not sure how you can be viewed as anyting else.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

... He comes off like a nobhead.

OH SWEET IRONY, HOW YOUR HONEYED DRIP SATES MINE SOUL!

Let's be honest... you were never in, to begin with.

I'm sorry for the venomous response, but I'm quickly growing frustrated with the negative threads from those who have not made it their business to understand what the KS is intended to accomplish and/or how the game is intended to play.

If you are not interested in this type of game, that is perfectly fine and I encourage you to seek entertainment elsewhere (as many others have done, as well.)  But please don't complain about this or that missing when those things were never intended to be revealed at this stage, in the first place.

It's like walking into a Synogogue and complaining that there's no bacon.

Using an analogy based on religion to prove your point about believing in a game and the man behind it... that's ironic to say the least.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Foggye

DAoC you got more powerful, got new abilitlies and community.  Vanilla WoW, you got a shiny set of armor that was made available to everyone near the end, and then totally invalidated.

That is what happens in MMO's. Equipment gets more powerful, along with encounters.

If you invalidate WoW's near armor, then you also have to invalidate DAoC's new gear, if the game was successful.. Because that was where it was heading also.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Cinc
    Can someone please explain why anyone would actually take the time to complain about an idea you have nothing invested in? You haven't bought anything so you have no skin in the game. If you don't like the idea, don't back it, really simple. Don't expect them to change their idea and vision to please you. You either agree or disagree with them. Why post all this negative crap about a game that doesn't even exist yet? So you don't like or trust Jacobs, why share this in threads about this game? Why not go to the forums of the games which you've actually bought and have a reason to dislike and vent your frustrations there? Anyone posting all this negative stuff about a game that doesn't exist and which they have nothing invested in is just a troll in my eyes. Not sure how you can be viewed as anyting else.

You need to experience the MMO market more.

It doesn't simply contain fans or shills, it also is filled with counter arguments from those sceptical, also know as "haters".

If you wanted a 100% acceptance of everything said, you should visit the CU official forum's.  They will be quite pleasant to you.

Originally posted by Karteli

It doesn't simply contain fans or shills, it also is filled with counter arguments from those sceptical, also know as "haters".

If you wanted a 100% acceptance of everything said, you should visit the CU official forum's.  They will be quite pleasant to you.

I don't expect people to agree with me, I said as much in my post. I'm curious as to what would motivate someone to post something negative about an idea they have nothing invested in and it will in no way affect their life if the idea is a success or failure. Unless of course they are simply trolls looking to rile people up. 

• sirjonnyboysirjonnyboy Member UncommonPosts: 5

What man, with 2million dollars he's gonna put into the game ANYWAYS, doesn't use that money to create a pre alpha demonstartion of his game & ideas?

Grim Dawn isnt the best looking game to come out, but on the kickstarter, he SHOWED his ideas the best he could with what he had so far.  i saw footage, and i heard his ideas. and i said to myself... hmmm i think i'm gonna back this..

I see CU and i watch it, awesome idea, after awesome idea, AWESOME! now lets actually see what you mean by this crafter/builder. huh? you havent actually made it yet? the Depths? holy shit! and this is a non-instanced dungeon within the battlefield? lets see what u mean!  pictures of concept art? seriously?

Most non-fanboy ppl, will need to see footage of a game before they buy it, unless its 3 dollars at gamestop. I try to get into any alpha i can (without paying) and try to get into any beta i can(without paying) if i cant i wait for the youtube videos to come rolling out so i can see FOOTAGE. 

By the time any real manifestation of the game is shown, all the kickstarter benefits will be down, and the only thing u can do is pre order the game at like a 5% discount and maybe get beta access if u drop a little more cash.... but by then ESO & wildstar& grim dawn will be up and running.  Hell probably 3 new maplestory characters will be out before then.

what idiot is going to pay for an unlimited subscription to a game, they've never seen?

That's like occulus Rift, making a KS page, and only talking about their ideas, and never once showed you any footage of what they were talking about, because they didnt even start on it yet....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I don't expect people to agree with me, I said as much in my post. I'm curious as to what would motivate someone to post something negative about an idea they have nothing invested in and it will in no way affect their life if the idea is a success or failure. Unless of course they are simply trolls looking to rile people up. 

By that same logic: I am curious why anyone would care what motivation someone else would have to post anything negative about an idea which they care about and which will not be impacted in any way by that post... unless of course that initial anyone has something to gain from silencing dissent.

Well you bring up trolls.

What is a troll in these forums?  Simply someone that doesn't blindly praise what is given?

You won't get any points for accusations of trolling.  Actually it makes you look silly.  Some people just disagree.

I'm not against CU, but I have some major concerns regarding the history of MJ, what was said by MJ, and the evolutuion of the CU project.  But by all means continue to call this trolling because I won't accept face-value of whatever is said.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    this thread has convinced me to up my pledge.. good job OP:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

DAoC you got more powerful, got new abilitlies and community.  Vanilla WoW, you got a shiny set of armor that was made available to everyone near the end, and then totally invalidated.

That is what happens in MMO's. Equipment gets more powerful, along with encounters.

If you invalidate WoW's near armor, then you also have to invalidate DAoC's new gear, if the game was successful.. Because that was where it was heading also.

Ironfoe
    Binds when picked up
    Unique

Main Hand Mace
    73 - 136 Damage Speed 2.40

(43.5 damage per second)
    Durability 105 / 105
    Requires Level 55
    Chance on hit: Grants 2 extra attacks on your next swing.

Quite devastating weapon on right hands,and no it was not available for everyone,if we think like everybody was using those.There was much more than same  shiny armors ,believe me :)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by TheJoda

What is a troll in these forums?  Simply someone that doesn't blindly praise what is given?

You won't get any points for accusations of trolling.  Actually it makes you look silly.  Some people just disagree.

I'm not against CU, but I have some major concerns regarding the history of MJ, what was said by MJ, and the evolutuion of the CU project.  But by all means continue to call this trolling because I won't accept face-value of whatever is said.

[mod edit] 

There are many people posting on these subforums who have openly stated they arent interested in CU.  People who have outright flamed MJ and said they would never buy a game that he was a part of.

These people continue to post on a subform for CU constantly bad-mouthing in every single thread.

The only concievable purpose of posting in a thread (seperated off in its own section of the forums) for a game that you have no actual interest in is to beat your chest and piss people off.

Posting with the express purpose of annoying others is essentially the definition of trolling.

Originally posted by Taldier

[mod edit]

There are many people posting on these subforums who have openly stated they arent interested in CU.  People who have outright flamed MJ and said they would never buy a game that he was a part of.

These people continue to post on a subform for CU constantly bad-mouthing in every single thread.

The only concievable purpose of posting in a thread (seperated off in its own section of the forums) for a game that you have no actual interest in is to beat your chest and piss people off.

Posting with the express purpose of annoying others is essentially the definition of trolling.

So, you're trying to say I have no interest in CU?  [mod edit]

CU isn't without merit, but due criticism is neccessary where warranted.  Points were made earlie.  More info required on CU before "fans" can actually say this is the game for them.

I understand people disagree. But what is a legitmate reason for trying to ward off potential pledges with negativity? People post positive messages and argue against the negative posts because we actually have a vested interest in this idea and kickstarter. If your not pledging fine, good for you. Why would you still troll a board of a game you obviously have no interest in?

I understand people disagree. But what is a legitmate reason for trying to ward off potential pledges with negativity? People post positive messages and argue against the negative posts because we actually have a vested interest in this idea and kickstarter. If your not pledging fine, good for you. Why would you still troll a board of a game you obviously have no interest in?

Thats a good start.

But why do you only accept praise and positivety when accepting pledges?  Ask yourself this, because I feel that you simply want the game to succeed regardless or what other potential players think.

My "negative" posts were a way to make CU even better, or to get MJ to further explain the game, and / or get a video demonstration out.  I don't feel that was unreasonable for me to broach topics like that or make such requests.

CU needs fans to support it, so they have fans already.  But if they want more to want to actually get this game going, a hard-nose approach about "trolling" isn't going to cut it.

Suggesting trolling isn't going to cut it.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

I am a little unsure now about this title. Maybe I better cancel my pledge and wait until it is released but I wish them good luck anyway. I am sure it will fund without me.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Taldier

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

...Everyone is entitled to their say, positive or negitive.  Personally Im on the fence on CU, after talking to Mark and getting a feel for his next phase im leaning to back it!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

What I was trying to say was all I really got from Vanilla WoW PvP System was some gear, that got made completely worthless.  Where as DAoC's system, I got a benefits that I got to keep, RAs were worth getting.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I just......I just dont' get some people.

It's like people don't understand the POINT of kickstarter, or crowdfunding in general.

People like the thread starter seem to think this game already "exists" and they can show demos', with full combat, classes, etc.

The ENTIRE point of kickstarter is to raise funds to get a project of the ground so it can......be MADE. Many things on it do not even exist yet, or are in the very very early stages of development.

Pitching idea's, tech demos, and very early things is all many of them have to show.

Torment for example had nothing, just INFO, some concept art pieces, etc. They scrapped together a few screens later on in the project because they are using the same tools/engine along with Wasteland, so they had all of that in place prior to the kickstarter.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

As being a PvP player, I feel I have no choice but supporting this game.

Too many PvE games out there.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

...but i can't take it anymore. I have been watching this Kickstarter Campaign for information and news that would excite me and ultimately make me give them my money.

The last 2 Videos, seriously? A video about people sending him ducks, his excitement jumped right out of the screen (/sarcasm).

It almost put me to sleep but what followed was an uninspiring, dredafully long winded video about some conceptual idea about some dungeon with RvR and mines and forge and some other veil stuff , whatever, i spaced out after that. One picture of a logo to back up his great idea. One that showed dick all. I had to switch off the video half way because i just could not take it anymore.

I remember other Projects that got me excited by showing enthusiastic videos of eager developers with cool things all over the place, people in the company getting interviewed, jokes and at least some interesting screenshots and content.

This guy is just doing my head in. I just can't take another video of him unpacking ducks and talking about his great vision. He comes off like a nobhead.

we cant all like the same thing at the end of the day..

Myself i love what the guy is saying... it sounds liek he has the perfect MMORPG in mind.. but thats just me..

• PsycospankPsycospank Member UncommonPosts: 36

I am on the fence for this one myself, so I do understand the hesitation in backing , I do dig the RvR style of PvP. It was great fun in DAoC, and the concept worked for the most part...but its the the PvE combine with the PvP that appealed to me. 

I am feeling that a total PvP environment might be difficult to enjoy all the time I could be wrong and if I hear more about the game and what its going to look like and feel like I may buy in, but at the moment I am swaying toward a more PvE experience...just my two cents worth.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Taus i respected you for your greed monger thread which was right on the button but you're wrong here. MJ has 30 years of experience making games, So why don't you just wait and see before getting your troll costume on.

And 1 good game..... just 1..

Rovio made 51 failed or poor games before "Angry Birds."

source: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/03/tech/gallery/rovio-failed-games

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I can understand not liking the game if you're one of these PVE people, that makes some kind of logical sense. But actively campaigning against the game because of ducks or video presentation style. That smacks to me of some other motivation.