Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

For those worried about team hoppers or the "winning side"

MkilbrideMkilbride Hooksett, NHPosts: 637Member Uncommon

Remember this is TRI-Realms. So there are 3 teams. There can't be alliances, either, as you can't understand the other sites text. It comes out as gibberish. So if one side starts winning hardcore on another, the third realm can kick it's ass, or if they decide to pound on the realm the other is, they'll create a three-way battle. It creates a self-balancing system.

Also, to those worried about people hopping to a Realm that wins more, no worries. MJ has said that, whatever Realm you select with your first character, ALL CHARACTERS will have to be of that Realm, from then on, on that server. So you can't go hop to the winning team. You have to pick the side you want and stick with it.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

lets hope they stick to 1 faction per server per account, because so many game devs say that then change that down the track. they could make heaps of incentives or bonuses to play the smaller side anyway.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

You can only be part of one faction per server. You will need a second account. If someone wants to do that then it only means more money CSE and CU. If someone wants to pay for more than one account then it is their God given right to play another faction.

As for kill trading ... sadly this always seems to happen but MJ did mention that this will be attempted to be limited by design. I can't see trying to stop it but limiting rewards from doing it is the key imo.

You stay sassy!

• GyrusGyrus Lost City of ZPosts: 2,329Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Remember this is TRI-Realms. So there are 3 teams. There can't be alliances, either, as you can't understand the other sites text. It comes out as gibberish. So if one side starts winning hardcore on another, the third realm can kick it's ass, or if they decide to pound on the realm the other is, they'll create a three-way battle. It creates a self-balancing system.

Also, to those worried about people hopping to a Realm that wins more, no worries. MJ has said that, whatever Realm you select with your first character, ALL CHARACTERS will have to be of that Realm, from then on, on that server. So you can't go hop to the winning team. You have to pick the side you want and stick with it.

Ugh.

Have you ever played a "Tri Realm" or any kind of game with Realm vs Realm or Alliance vs Alliance before?  This is how it works in real life:

So there are 3 teams. There can't be alliances, either, as you can't understand the other sites text. It comes out as gibberish.

I'm a Tuatha De Danann so I create a fan forum called "Tuatha De Danann Command Post".  This is a forum I own and is outside the control of CSE.  Many alliances in many games have these.  In the end it becomes the unofficial forum for all Tuatha De Danann on my server.

We (the Tuatha De Danann) decide it would be great for LOLs to team up with the Arthurians and stomp the living crap out of the Vikings.  

So I read the forums (or maybe use Google) and find the "Arthurian Round Table" Forum.  Again, a fan site.  Not under CSE control.  I register there as a 'diplomat' and we make an alliance.

"Ahh!  But you can't communicate in game!" you cry.

Team Speak, Vent, Skype... take your pick.

We stomp the Vikings... and stomp the Vikings and stomp the Vikings.  LOL.

Re-roll.

Or... in the event CSE prevent rerolling on the same account (dumb idea BTW - the nerd rage will be deafening - particularly if people are paying for the accounts.  Might even violate consumer laws in several places so good luck with that...)

Then I unsub on account "Gyrus" - a viking from above example...

and resub as Gyruss, or Gyruzz who is a Tuatha De Danann...(it's an all new account so CSE can do nothing except refuse to take my money... like that will ever happen!) and when the vikings are destroyed stomp the Arthurians into extinction!  LOLzzzzzz!

Then... this game is a bit boring isn't it?  No one left to kill... isn't Cryptic's next game doing an open beta?  [Unsub] cya!

Edit: Look up Goonswarm vs BoB to see how BoB was destroyed if you doubt it will / can happen.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon

I might actually buy into this, except i play GW2. It has the same stipulations that your game has, and alliances happen all day everyday. We live in a world full of fansites, VOIP's, hell even cell phones. There will be imbalance. Don't get your hopes up that high to not think there will be. You'll crash n burn, my friend.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GyrusGyrus Lost City of ZPosts: 2,329Member Uncommon

Oh... and we haven't even mentioned "multiboxing" yet.

"How do the Tuatha De Danann always know exactly what we are doing?"

(I played one game where our command level chatter was being seen by the enemy before the soldiers on our own side saw it!)

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member
    Originally posted by Toxia

I might actually buy into this, except i play GW2. It has the same stipulations that your game has, and alliances happen all day everyday. We live in a world full of fansites, VOIP's, hell even cell phones. There will be imbalance. Don't get your hopes up that high to not think there will be. You'll crash n burn, my friend.

The OP is certainly a tad optimistic, but GW2's controls were pretty damn poorly implemented when I last played (around launch)

Nothing you can do about Vent, etc, but at least forcing you to reroll in order to switch realms is a pretty big detriment, depending on how much you have invested in your toons.   GW2 was way too easy to just switch servers on a whim. 

• ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by redcapp

The OP is certainly a tad optimistic, but GW2's controls were pretty damn poorly implemented when I last played (around launch)

Nothing you can do about Vent, etc, but at least forcing you to reroll in order to switch realms is a pretty big detriment, depending on how much you have invested in your toons.   GW2 was way too easy to just switch servers on a whim. 

...Controls? I dont understand what that has to do with the system implemented to stop alliances teaming up...but..okay!

To update you and maybe bring more insight into how little making you reroll will affect anything, GW2 now charges money(Real $) to switch servers, and our server still has spies seated on other servers. If they will PAY to spy on someone, there is little doubt in my mind that people will reroll(or, just use those convienient extra accounts they got for donating ;)  )) to do so as well. Just trying to bring the OP's expectations down into reality, as i was pretty pumped for GW2's WvW idea and was let down

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

...Controls? I dont understand what that has to do with the system implemented to stop alliances teaming up...but..okay!

To update you and maybe bring more insight into how little making you reroll will affect anything, GW2 now charges money(Real $) to switch servers, and our server still has spies seated on other servers. If they will PAY to spy on someone, there is little doubt in my mind that people will reroll(or, just use those convienient extra accounts they got for donating ;)  )) to do so as well. Just trying to bring the OP's expectations down into reality, as i was pretty pumped for GW2's WvW idea and was let down

A) Controls, as in, the 'stipulations' as you say, that ANet put in.

B) Clearly, there is nothing you can do to stop these things from ever happening.  Forcing a reroll is certainly more of a deterrant than having no such controls in place.  Moreso than paying a few bucks to switch servers, I'd wager, if the toons require enough of an investment.

Edit: Should add that my primary concern would be hopping between realms simply to play on the winning side.  Spying and such should be viewed as a separate issue, imo.  GW2 explicity allows for server hopping, whereas a system like DAoC had discouraged players from realm hopping.

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

The whole alliances or opposing factions teaming up thing is such a cop out for losing and overplayed its a joke. In very few instances do opposing factions team up with eachother whats really happening is Faction A & B are engaged at a location, faction C is all like "yarr, now we can ninja attacks A's keep while they're engaged" Faction C takes said keep and a post pops up on the forum from some dude from faction A all like "omg we're getting double teamed from B & C, you have an alliance" now faction C has more land than what they can defend so A and B stop fighting and both go fight C, then C makes a post like " A is attacking our north keep while B is attacking out east, whats the go with the double teaming cant you take us by yourselves n00bs?" this is 3 faction warfare, this is the beauty and ugliness of it, get used to it.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Originally posted by skyexile

The whole alliances or opposing factions teaming up things is such a cop out for losing and overplayed its a joke. In very few instances do opposing factions team up with eachother whats really happening is Faction A & B are engaged at a location, faction C is all like "yarr, now we can ninja attacks A's keep while they're engaged" Faction C takes said keep and a post pops up on the forum from some dude from faction A all like "omg we're getting double teamed from B & C, you have an alliance" now faction C has more land than what they can defend so A and B stop fighting and both go fight C, then C makes a post like " A is attacking our north keep while B is attacking out east, whats the go with the double teaming cant you take us by yourselves n00bs?" this is 3 faction warfare, this is the beauty and ugliness of it, get used it.

I agree with this as well.  The interaction between the realms is what makes it fun.  It isn't the end of the world if there is some coordination or exploitation of circumstances, etc.

• grimjakkgrimjakk Tumwater, WAPosts: 192Member
    Originally posted by skyexile

The whole alliances or opposing factions teaming up things is such a cop out for losing and overplayed its a joke. In very few instances do opposing factions team up with eachother whats really happening is Faction A & B are engaged at a location, faction C is all like "yarr, now we can ninja attacks A's keep while they're engaged" Faction C takes said keep and a post pops up on the forum from some dude from faction A all like "omg we're getting double teamed from B & C, you have an alliance" now faction C has more land than what they can defend so A and B stop fighting and both go fight C, then C makes a post like " A is attacking our north keep while B is attacking out east, whats the go with the double teaming cant you take us by yourselves n00bs?" this is 3 faction warfare, this is the beauty and ugliness of it, get used it.

I agree with this as well.  The interaction between the realms is what makes it fun.  It isn't the end of the world if there is some coordination or exploitation of circumstances, etc.

Actually, it happens quite naturally as a result of normal human nature.  There's not really much need for outside coordination.   Mids and Albs beat up the Hibs for weeks, then suddenly the Mids and Albs, who've been avoiding each other all this time, are burning each others keeps in Hibbie-land while the Hibs are sitting back and snickering.  The next thing you know, the loser of the Alb/Mid fight is teaming with the Hibs.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Hooksett, NHPosts: 637Member Uncommon

Don't even mention GW2. It didn't have true Tri-realm combat. It had a mockery of it. If you didn't play DAOC, you don't understand the system.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon

Sure you can, you just delete all chars you have then you can reselect most likely. They can't force you to stay in that faction if you delete all the chars. Mind you I probally won't play this because some of the stuff I read about it, makes me feel like the game is going to be high on the shit-o-meter, alot of stupid decisions are being made with the game so far. No npc drops, no ah, to name 2, especally the no AH.

Look at ESO, there was a 20 min footage leak showing what the game is really like, insted of the doctored up videos zenimax has released, and all I can say is its pretty much another generic piece of shit of a mmorpg, its bascally TERA with a elder scrolls skin pretty much. Which in Tera once the combat got old the game has nothing to offer anymore. Needless to say I went from going to pre-order ESO to probally not going to bother, major gameplay changes usually never happen in beta, so its pretty much what the game is going to be like.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon

Don't even mention GW2. It didn't have true Tri-realm combat. It had a mockery of it. If you didn't play DAOC, you don't understand the system.

Rising force online is a f2p that uses a tri faction system, you war 3 times a day for control of a mine, sometimes the leaders ally up and gangup on one race (usually the accredians since they are pretty overpowered at high levels.) Only the race leader's can talk to each other in game, and understand whats being said by other races. Been some pretty good tactics employed in some battles too. Sadly the racial balance is kinda bad, Each has their own unique thing, but the cora and bellatio stuff rather is useless at high levels, compared to ACC. Anyway yeah. I honestly prefered rfo's pvp over daoc, just because its 3 races fighting all over the same thing in a semi-small area so your forced to clash. Course you always can form a party up and invade the other races lands and go on killing sprees XD. Its the nearest thing to daoc thats a tad more recent.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• WW4BWWW4BW KoldingPosts: 493Member

Without being privy to specific instances, I'm still sure cross realm alliances were made once in a while in DAoC.

At least Im sure there were some coordination before some major raids.

It is naive to think that it didnt happen.

I also think some indiviuals had spare accounts used for spying and winner team joining depending on how the winds of war were blowing.

And Im sure it will occur more often in CU. More and more people are using VoIP and people are generally less naive about Metagaming.

I dont think it will be a huge problem if CSE crack down on blatant crossrealming. Like if the biggest alliances from 2 of the realms always seem to be working together. And if its being kept down to only a few occations to break the stranglehold of the 3rd realm, then I see it more as adding flavor and options to the game, rather than cheating.

Most people wont be joining in on this, and since it will presumably be prohibited, it will only be discussed in private sections of private forums. You cannot discuss it openly in the guild, alliance, or realm, as you might be discovered or ratted out.

If there are the same rules for creating characters on only one realm per server per account as in DAoC. And if there are the same rules against crossrealming and if those rules are being enforced, then I am not too worried about it ruining the game.

It will happen. But if it is being suppressed to a minimum, then it will only be used to break a dominant realm once in a while.

DAoC wasnt fun when one realm had total control. But then we had PvE to do for a while untill we could organize better or the other realm started getting bored with zerging and the zergs came down to a managable size.