Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of the few games with balls

I mean this strictly from a personal perspective and what I'm about to say could insult sensitive people so for this I apoligize, Darkfall much like Mortal Online is one of the few projects with testicles, Much like Mortal Online (Which is vastly worse) Darkfall suffers from the lack of talented developers. All the concepts and ideas for Darkfall make it the go to game for a PvP player but the follow through of the product derails popularity. After supposedly 13 years of DarkFall Developing... THey still can't get features in the game and bugs sorted out in their atrocious game engine. They have completely failed to optimize the game and lack of staff or understanding of cheating to catch cheaters. All this said I love the game, I handed my money over for the 29.99 copy of the game and have no regrets because I support developers who want to do something unique, which is strange since this is how all MMO's started and so how turned into a care bear non pvp gear treadmill.

Everyone is so quick to bash this title and it's flaws and while it may be deserving of critisim for failing to follow through on promises within time frames but at the end of the day it's one of the few products that offer something different from WoW and the WoW Era. Everyone claims to be so tired of WoW and they down vote WoW yet all they play are theme parks similar. Which is all fine and good preference is preference but stop bashing anything different and being complete hypocrites. There's so much hate and so little appreciation for the pety money spent on these games... if 19.99 or 29.99 or 49.99 or 59.99 (Defiance and GW2) is too much for you... Maybe you should be more worried about finding a new career and less about gaming. I hope Aventurine pulls through and atleast within a year gets a solid product out because everyone else is too scared to go this route and games in the Ultima Online image need to exist.

Furthermore everyone talks about meaningless pvp but then they're all so scared to play a game with meaningful pvp. Open world full loot and massive sieges... I hope to see more of these so called "PvPers" who want meaning giving this game a chance even with it's flaws.

Comments

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

"Furthermore everyone talks about meaningless pvp but then they're all so scared to play a game with meaningful pvp. Open world full loot and massive sieges"

This is so true!    

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    anyone have any video of these massive seiges? all the video i have seen from this game so far are small skirmishes

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• reichtreicht Member Posts: 41
    Mmm, getting ganked constantly by roving bands of D-bags and having the high end goal be logging in while the other 50 players are online and getting together for a "massive" siege with a population lower than most house parties.  SIGN ME UP!
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

I wish DF:UW good luck on release.

though many games has balls, niche games like this sure should have a place and are needed.

• goflishgoflish Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    anyone have any video of these massive seiges? all the video i have seen from this game so far are small skirmishes
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQwfKzV4-E
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by goflish
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

that's DF id like to see one from this game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

After playing the original Darkfall for a few years, starting about a month and a half after launch, I have to say that the "new" game is pretty lackluster.  I'm not a fan of the class system (half of which aren't in game yet), and the characters all look the same with the same armor (unless that changed). 

I doubt AV will ever get their acts together, but good luck to the folks playing.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by bloodbone

"Furthermore everyone talks about meaningless pvp but then they're all so scared to play a game with meaningful pvp. Open world full loot and massive sieges"

This is so true!    

Don't believe those who claim they want meaningful pvp because i have been in pvp games since the internet became popular with 56k.I actually started before that,i think it was like 18.8 and 33.3 first.

What i have seen is when players can't WIN,they cry,they get angry,moody and insult non stop.I think i am one of the few that truly plays for fun.

I have been connecting to my fave game of UT99 through a proxy to attain a high ping,just so the pvp is challenging to me,otherwise i usually win too easily.I had a person insult  me for doing it,calling me an idiot for not wanting to win with a better latency.

I think the younger crowd just does not "GET IT" they think everything is about winning.

MY whole point is that i am a pvpr and have been for years,but in mmorpg's it is NEVER done properl;y,so i never enjoy doing it.I am not about to write a novel to explain how pvp needs to be designed and laid out on maps,but i will say,no rpg copems even remotely close to getting right.

I like small bits of what DF tries to do,aiming is cool but in reality it is a fine line on making it feasable in a rpg setting.I also beleive that once you remove the FPS type atmosphere which ONLY has one purpose to kill other players,you need to change your gameaccordingly.Simple answer/reason is because yo uare no longer a fps,yopu are trying to make a RPG,so a LOT of changes,differences need to be implemented.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    The FPS combat from this game has made it sour for me. I also do not like the whole aiming stuff. If i want that, i'll play call of duty. Take away FPS targetting and first person perspective locked for casters.. and i'd be in.  The UI also sucked, but that was after it was released when i tried it

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

For the most part, I agree with the OP.

I only disagree when he says the developers are not talented like Mortal Online. They are small, and their budget is limited.. but their work is worlds above Mortals.

This game, for what it is, has made huge bounds forward since the beta launched. Now that they are stable, they could be in a position to start releasing more content, roles. I believe they have a lot completely (or partially completed), and they are purposly holding back for future updates. For marketing if nothing else, they want to have something to release to show up on sites like MMORPG.com.

Some people say there is a lot of stuff "missing" from DFO, and I believe it's just not released yet.

Ultimately, when you buy Darkfall, you know you are buying an indie mmo with a few quirks, a small development team, and a niche audiance. You will learn other peoples names, and you will see the same players often. More notably, other people will learn your name, and will see you often.

Darkfall is a persistant world. If you are sick of gear grinding themeparks, you would be a fool not to invest in Darkfall.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I believe they have a lot completely (or partially completed), and they are purposly holding back for future updates. For marketing if nothing else, they want to have something to release to show up on sites like MMORPG.com.

Some people say there is a lot of stuff "missing" from DFO, and I believe it's just not released yet.

Why in the world would you hold back half of the schools for every role, a trading system (since no trading chat channel), 2 zone's starting cities with safe zones, ships and cannons from the first game (you will have to take down all walls now at a siege with battlespikes)...

Sorry but yeah there is a LOT missing that any MMO has at launch.  It may have balIs but if those balls get cut off with poor design and not meeting deadlines and not able to deliver real content then you are back at "no balls".  

I wish you well and hope you get your enjoyment out of it though.

Originally posted by Deerhunter71

I believe they have a lot completely (or partially completed), and they are purposly holding back for future updates. For marketing if nothing else, they want to have something to release to show up on sites like MMORPG.com.

Why in the world would you hold back half of the schools for every role, a trading system (since no trading chat channel), 2 zone's starting cities with safe zones, ships and cannons from the first game (you will have to take down all walls now at a siege with battlespikes)...

Sorry but yeah there is a LOT missing that any MMO has at launch.  It may have balIs but if those balls get cut off with poor design and not meeting deadlines and not able to deliver real content then you are back at "no balls".  

You would hold these completed or partially completed items back so you could have a frequent update schedule for the next 6-12 months, which will in turn generate more news about the game- which is free adverstisement- to bring more new players in.

You would hold these completed or partially completed items back so you could have a frequent update schedule for the next 6-12 months, which will in turn generate more news about the game- which is free adverstisement- to bring more new players in.

Yeah it is called bait and switch - you just defined it exactly...  No "reputable" company releases a game with only 1/2 of every class done and other core features to just hold that back or other stuff which is part of the core game, lol

"Oh look at us - we have now put in a market so you can trade" -- oh shit my bad all the other MMO's have some form of trading, lol

Yeah it is called bait and switch - you just defined it exactly...  No "reputable" company releases a game with only 1/2 of every class done and to just hold back stuff which is part of the core gae, lol

It's not bait and switch, I reccomend you look up the defination.

AV did not promise anything they didn't deliver.

Some things are still in development, and they have always been upfront about that.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Yeah it is called bait and switch - you just defined it exactly...  No "reputable" company releases a game with only 1/2 of every class done and to just hold back stuff which is part of the core gae, lol

It's not bait and switch, I reccomend you look up the defination.

AV did not promise anything they didn't deliver.

Some things are still in development, and they have always been upfront about that.

Then why have they been secretly deleting/editing the games feature list!!image(in the past 2 -3weeks)

They updated the features with more description.

What was ninja'd off te features list?

Please see below;

Become a Legend

Pick a role out of the 4 available – combine schools in a role.

Pick one of the available roles, Warrior, Skirmisher, Elementalist and Primalist. Explore the various schools associated with each role and combine them to find your favorite way to slay your foes!

Switch to any role – try different play styles all in one character – no need for alts.

Switch between roles at any time! Be a heavy-armored battletank one moment, then quickly change to a master of pain and curses the next. Whether through curiosity or situational need, you will have the option to shift your role and function as you see fit.

A unique progression system.

No more distinct levels. Accumulate prowess points with every activity you take part in the world of Darkfall Unholy Wars, and use these points to raise the skill of your choice. 

Focus in one path and become viable fast.

Whether you take your time and explore your options, or focus on one pathway and achieve greatness as soon as possible, the choice is yours. There is no ‘wrong’ way to play!

Combine a role with an attribute booster for extra customization.

Discover and unlock a variety of different attribute and combat boosters to enhance and customize your gameplay!

Epic World

Enjoy a seamless, massive, uninstanced persistent world

Enjoy a seamless world, massive and persistent with no zones or boundaries!

Everything you see is within your reach.

There are no artificial barriers In Agon, if you can see it, you can reach it. No artificial barriers or invisible walls will hinder your exploration or search for interesting places to slaughter each other!

Travel by mount, ship, or magical means

A host of options are available to help you travel the lands and seas! From a diverse navy of boats and ships to exotic and fearsome mounts or even powerful artifacts and magics to whisk you to the far-flung corners of the world!

Encounter over one hundred unique monster types equipped with superior AI

Encounter (and possibly even survive) hundreds of unique and bloodthirsty monsters and powerful beings with incredibly complex and cunning Artificial Intelligence more eager than the next to help you kick that nasty habit of living!

Dynamic lighting and shadows

Dynamic lighting and shadow effects bring the world leaping out of your screen. Explore dazzling sun-lit forests and stalk unwary victims through the darkest shadows Environmental sounds and music create the ultimate immersive environment. Unparalleled environmental ambience and music immerse you into the richest gaming environment you will ever encounter!

Different ecosystems and unique locations to explore

Each corner and land of Agon is a unique locale, teeming with it’s own unique denizens, legendary monsters and rich, personal climate!

The world is handmade from scratch

Every item has been hand-placed by the Unholy Wars designers. The world of Agon is built ground-up completely from scratch. Every single item, object and tree lovingly hand-placed by the Unholy Wars design team!

Compete with other players and use skill, teamwork, and territory knowledge to complete Darkfall Unholy Wars’ challenging quests and feats

Challenge fellow adventurers and use your finely honed skills, teamwork and knowledge of the lands you discover to unlock and complete a host of challenging feats and quests written to immerse you in the stories of the Unholy Wars!

Visceral Battles

Real time, fast paced, manual aimed combat. An intensity and explosive real time combat system that demands and rewards skill and lightning reflexes! The combination of first person shooter battles and rpg style strategy and abilities merge together in a truly epic experience!

Player skill matters. MIndless tab-targeting and ever-repeating skill rotations have no place here! Only your own skills will make the difference between laughing at your enemies and humiliation (death too, of course).

Full loot. Experience the adrenaline of a world where death has real consequence! The need for survival is suddenly a whole lot more potent when you can lose everything you have on you when you die at the hands of looters!

Naval combat (Quite limited for launch). Build a vast navy and take to the seas! A large number of different kinds of naval vessels will be at your disposal to bring rich strategy and variety to coastal battles! (This feature will be limited at launch but updated very soon after).

Mounted Combat. Train your peons (or friends) to charge into the fray on fearsome mounts to experience cavalry style battles as you clash with your enemy!

Small scale skirmishes. Battle is around every corner, be it the city sieges of clan warfare or the explosive conflicts of sudden, unexpected skirmishes as you travel the lands!

Friendly fire – collision detection. Though no rules are strict on the matter, if you wish to keep your friends (intact) you must learn to place your swings with care! Full collision detection brings the true chaos of combat to the forefront.

Use tactics in the battle field and change the odds. Swing the tide of the direst of battles to your advantage by using cunning tactics and strategy!

Play it your Way

Take a moment before you crash through into the wilds of Agon

You may take whichever path you wish to the epic legend that your prowess will carve! Hone your skills in the tranquility of areas protected against the havoc and mayhem of the lands beyond! Join allies and discover the basics of battle at any pace you enjoy.

Learn to play the game at your own pace

Discover the world to come at whatever pace you enjoy with neither a limit to how long you stay in relative safety or a constraint to rushing to meet the great beyond as soon as you arrive!

Take your first steps in a specially designed location for new players

Enjoy the learning  the game in relative safety and tranquility afforded to you by locations designed especially for those fresh to the dangerous world of Agon!

Get a grip of the basics while experiencing a narrative related to the lore

Learn the skills you will need to survive while discovering the story of the world you will soon meet.

Enter the game in a protected tutorial area

Enter the adventure in an area protected from the outside world and designed to teach you all you will need to know!

Learn how to harvest, craft and trade in safety

Discover the skills you can use away from battle, away from battle! Learn about harvesting and trade, crafting and gear.

Join groups, fight monsters and complete feats without worrying about PvP

Discover friends and forge alliances. Team up to accomplish feats and battle local monsters with no worry of PvP or nasty surprises!

Conquer Empires

Clan wars and conquest - sieges

Experience the true chaos of epic warfare through clan battles and sieges! Hundreds of allies and enemies are able to charge into the fray as you vie for dominion over each other's cities and territories!

Territory control

Conquer your enemies, see them driven from their cities and expand your control over the territories of Agon! Experience the shifting power struggles of a land burning with the chaos of clan warfare!

Form clans and fight for dominance

Form clans and forge alliances to achieve true dominion. The world is a safer place when you have your clanmates with you (though that does not necessarily mean it is safe for anyone else!)

Lead your team to glory as a clan or party leader

Hone your skills of leadership as the head of a party or clan!

FInd your true worth by leading your allies to fortune and glory!

Form strong alliances or betray and be betrayed (Politics)

Experience the politics of a war torn land. Forge your alliances, betray them,

and punish them when they, inevitably, betray you in return!

Group with other players or clans against your enemies

Meet new friends and allies as you team up to defeat your enemies be they bestial or mortal!

<nav node-links="" clearfix"="">

Forge Ahead

Harvest rare materials.

Explore the world and harvest the rarest of materials from the deepest and most dangerous places!

Choose the look of your weapons and craft them.

Allow your weapons to truly be an extension of yourself as you choose your favorite weapon design to craft into your tools of destruction!

Infuse materials with rare essences and use them in crafting more powerful items.

Infuse crafting materials with rare and powerful essences to create truly powerful and unique gear!

Trade your creations with other players.

Become a merchant-prince and sell your creations to other players for coin or favor!

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

I dont hate the game. If its not good, i just dont play it.

However i really dislike Aventurine because they use shady methods towards the mmo community.

They are

1. not forthcoming in almost everything. Its always covered with a layer of sweet talk of what players like to hear.
    2. False marketing. What they claim is not what u get.
    3. Empty promises. Have never meet a deadline.
    I hope AV will just exit the mmo industry after DFUW flopped.
    Originally posted by Cetra

However i really dislike Aventurine because they use shady methods towards the mmo community.

They are

1. not forthcoming in almost everything. Its always covered with a layer of sweet talk of what players like to hear.

After DF:UW flops I hope they sell the license or something so someone can actually do the game right, as the concept is still good.  Just piss poor execution.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Cetra

They are

After DF:UW flops I hope they sell the license or something so someone can actually do the game right, as the concept is still good.  Just piss poor execution.

agreed. The game has huge potential , but the company and game development is horrible.

Okay guys, have fun in The Old Republic battlegrounds, while we have fun in Darkfall. I heard the Hutt Cartel is super exciting.

Or play Darkfall, and accept it for what it is. The choice is yours, may the force be with you.

• MelgarothMelgaroth Member UncommonPosts: 42

They have been more open with information these last weeks of beta.

I have been playing since a little after NA launch so I know how frustrating these devs can be.

Still doesn't mean this game isn't the best hope for meaningful PVP we have right now. I think if there was a better choice a lot of us would have left a long while ago simply because of bad customer interaction and failed promies. But then again they are Greek so there ya go.

AV harshes critics are its fan base. But most of them are also pretty loyal and still support this game after many years of AV's bull simply because the game itself is amazing.

Just enjoy the game for what it is and stop whining about AV. There are a lot of people that think UW was a mistake but personally I think that if they didn't launch UW the original would be struggling pretty hard right now and would have eventually been shut down.

Being on Steam is going to bring in a lot of fresh meat. The new UI if very newb friendly, the new safe zones will help immensely, the new prowess system is leagues better than the other way of leveling and the crafting is still one of if not the best crafting system i've ever used. I actually like crafting in Darkfall and I HATE, and I mean HATE crafting in every other game.

I also see people whine about not having a player driven economy in MMO's. Well I think this is about as close as its going to get. Almost everything worthwhile is crafted as far as gear goes. Mobs do drop some gear but its not as good as crafted.

Anyhoo I agree with the OP, this game has balls and its not for the faint of heart. If you don't like getting ganked and losing your gear then steer VERY far away from this game.

TL;DR - This game is for Men. Panzy neck-beards stear clear.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Okay guys, have fun in The Old Republic battlegrounds, while we have fun in Darkfall. I heard the Hutt Cartel is super exciting.

Or play Darkfall, and accept it for what it is. The choice is yours, may the force be with you.

Or, we stop taking the shit developers are feeding us and actually demand more from them instead of the shitty quality products we are getting, or WoW clone number 27 in space. 

No I think I wil wait until a game studio actually has the vision and means to create something worth while. Not one or the other. Also Aventurtine will never get a cent out of me. They have some seriously shady business practices. They are just a step above Star Vault in that case. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

Or, we stop taking the shit developers are feeding us and actually demand more from them instead of the shitty quality products we are getting, or WoW clone number 27 in space. 

No I think I wil wait until a game studio actually has the vision and means to create something worth while. Not one or the other. Also Aventurtine will never get a cent out of me. They have some seriously shady business practices. They are just a step above Star Vault in that case. 

+1 - you win the the thread my man!!

Okay have fun waiting.

You could vote with your wallet, so other developers might take interest.. Or you can vote with your wallet and keep waiting.

But please enjoy this song while you wait:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-E53gmeO-8

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Okay have fun waiting.

You could vote with your wallet, so other developers might take interest.. Or you can vote with your wallet and keep waiting.

But please enjoy this song while you wait:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-E53gmeO-8

Enjoy your half assed game where the devs don't care about you as a player. I'll enjoy my song until something decent comes out, thanks. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo