Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried, i really did...

Comments

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Karteli

The campaign is targeting DAoC players, who with rose colored glasses (tm) remember only the good parts.  They don't remember that WoW was the killing factor of DAoC.  They would rather cite poor expansions instead.

This is frankly just false.  If you dont like the ideas being presented, then dont pledge, but stop trying to act like everyone else is  inferior for not agreeing with you.

Personally I'm not a DAOC player at all, somehow I just ended up skipping over that game.  But I dare say I've pledged more than most people because I want a game like this, and I think MJ is going to do everything he can to make this a reality.

Even if this doesnt turn out like I think it will.  Even if this game isnt "the game".  The industry needs to see that there is a desire from players for this content.

When studios come to big publishers with ideas like this, they get told they are "too niche" and "dont fit the mainstream audience".  Its up to us, the players, to show them they are wrong.  That niche titles can thrive happily within their own niche without having to appeal to everyone.

If the consumers never stand up and make a point, we're just going to keep getting shoveled the same worthless crappy WoW clones over and over again.

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by Laeesh

@OP

Hmm i can understand your point of view, but what could be changed ? Do you need some graphic´s / visuals to get energized ? I don´t understand how your "tried so hard" is working. It sound´s like you like the idea´s like hell but you need some visual´s for, jeah for what ? What does any visualized sketch from a "project on KS" change ? I think the idea is what´s count, when looking at a KS kampagne. (looking at a KS kampagne is something totally different and new)

For me a KS project is build of idea / motivation and some artwork´s that show how it does evtl. look like in the end.

I agree, take DobleFine Adventure, they had NOTHING at all. But the way they presented themselves and their ideas and concepts even without screenshots or anything got  me excited.

Nothing got me excited so far for CU other than the promise of an old school RvR focused game that breaks the monotony of bad releases and endless stream of shit that is produced these days.

However, the campaign does nto get me excited and looking at the raw numbers, i am not the only one. It's a campaign, you need to somehow get people excited for this, not only the hardcore fans that reminiscent about the goold old DAoC days.

I am not against the game or what he tries to pitch, but it does not get me all wound up ready to throw $350+ at it. Anything at the lower backing levels is nonsense because then i can wait until release, if i still have to pay monthly for this game, that might be very outdated in 3 (more realistically 5) years from now.

So another title, which actually showed less was okay because the pitchman charmed you?

Ron Popeil has sold billions of dollars of junk because he presented things in a fantastical way......

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by vulanx
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Taus i respected you for your greed monger thread which was right on the button but you're wrong here. MJ has 30 years of experience making games, So why don't you just wait and see before getting your troll costume on.

And 1 good game..... just 1..

That you're aware of.   And most people developing games don't even have that.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

It's funny, this. I would think people try to convince me to see the value and greatness that is MJ's video series and how great the game is.

Especially seeing as it needs every little penny to get funded, because at this rate its going to fail.

Aparently it's prefered to attack people that have trouble seeing value in this Projects, best would be to insult them on top of it and tell them to go play something else, because you all going to be so happy in a game that does not get funded. (except the few civilized and well voiced posts, apologies my friends)

Great idea, that, seriously, thats really a good way to get this failing Project back on track. (/sarcasm)

The game has too many missing features, or stuff that isn't described properly.  Everything is just an idea, and that is horrible with people expecting a final project that they want .. but end up getting something that they don't / won't like.

There isn't a clear and concise flowchart for this game either.  Everything is still on the table.  No Alpha footage except:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eH4Gwxg4AV8#t=90s

Which is early alpha footage of a simulation.  Not very impressive.  Tech demo and alpha footage are interchangeable these days.  It's the intent, along with future game mechanics that I look at.

It's not going to be wow so get over it.

Originally posted by Taldier

The campaign is targeting DAoC players, who with rose colored glasses (tm) remember only the good parts.  They don't remember that WoW was the killing factor of DAoC.  They would rather cite poor expansions instead.

This is frankly just false.  If you dont like the ideas being presented, then dont pledge, but stop trying to act like everyone else is  inferior for not agreeing with you.

Personally I'm not a DAOC player at all, somehow I just ended up skipping over that game.  But I dare say I've pledged more than most people because I want a game like this, and I think MJ is going to do everything he can to make this a reality.

Even if this doesnt turn out like I think it will.  Even if this game isnt "the game".  The industry needs to see that there is a desire from players for this content.

When studios come to big publishers with ideas like this, they get told they are "too niche" and "dont fit the mainstream audience".  Its up to us, the players, to show them they are wrong.  That niche titles can thrive happily within their own niche without having to appeal to everyone.

If the consumers never stand up and make a point, we're just going to keep getting shoveled the same worthless crappy WoW clones over and over again.

Well said.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Taldier

I'll agree with you that publishers are evil .. I think that's what you were saying.

But like I said, more meat needs to be present.  There is a healthy balance of PVE and PVP that make both sides happy and enthusiastic, while at the same time understanding real danger.

Well you can believe what you want.  But DAoC fell off the charts after WoW released, and even MJ acknowledges this.

I'm all for learning from past experiences, but I think the limited scope of CU is going to hurt in the end.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

@OP

Hmm i can understand your point of view, but what could be changed ? Do you need some graphic´s / visuals to get energized ? I don´t understand how your "tried so hard" is working. It sound´s like you like the idea´s like hell but you need some visual´s for, jeah for what ? What does any visualized sketch from a "project on KS" change ? I think the idea is what´s count, when looking at a KS kampagne. (looking at a KS kampagne is something totally different and new)

For me a KS project is build of idea / motivation and some artwork´s that show how it does evtl. look like in the end.

I agree, take DobleFine Adventure, they had NOTHING at all. But the way they presented themselves and their ideas and concepts even without screenshots or anything got  me excited.

Nothing got me excited so far for CU other than the promise of an old school RvR focused game that breaks the monotony of bad releases and endless stream of shit that is produced these days.

However, the campaign does nto get me excited and looking at the raw numbers, i am not the only one. It's a campaign, you need to somehow get people excited for this, not only the hardcore fans that reminiscent about the goold old DAoC days.

I am not against the game or what he tries to pitch, but it does not get me all wound up ready to throw $350+ at it. Anything at the lower backing levels is nonsense because then i can wait until release, if i still have to pay monthly for this game, that might be very outdated in 3 (more realistically 5) years from now.

I am not a backer, but I think the $350 is off the mark.

$25 - Beta 3 (eta Sept 2015)

$30 - Beta 2 (eta June 2015)

$50 - Beta 1 (eta Feb 2015)

$110 - Alpha (eta Aug 2014)

$180 - Internal Testing (eta Jan 2014)

The $350 gives you Alpha access, packages are different, some may not like certain ones and such, also some of the tiers I quoted are sold out, but they did offer them.  I am on the fence for no pve, so I need to know more about the crafting, as doing only the same type of thing in a mmo bores me...So I would like atleast 2 aspects that I like and are worked out in a manner I like.  It is too early for me to know what I need to know, so I probably won't be backing.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Taus i respected you for your greed monger thread which was right on the button but you're wrong here. MJ has 30 years of experience making games, So why don't you just wait and see before getting your troll costume on.

I don't question MJ's ability to make a game, he did it one time and it was great. Well, it was only one...nevermind. I did enjoy WAR, not many did. I thought it was good and underappreciated. Oh well.

I question the way the campaign is run and how this idea of him is presented. There is no concise overview of features. Only long winded texts on their webpage that are equally as boring as the videos.

As for the troll costume, who said i took it off. *wink*

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• vulanxvulanx Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

OK what am I not aware of then Hjamnr?

What are you considering his "1 good game"?

DAoC 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

I don't question MJ's ability to make a game, he did it one time and it was great. Well, it was only one...nevermind. I did enjoy WAR, not many did. I thought it was good and underappreciated. Oh well.

I question the way the campaign is run and how this idea of him is presented. There is no concise overview of features. Only long winded texts on their webpage that are equally as boring as the videos.

As for the troll costume, who said i took it off. *wink*

Well the way i see it is he is leaving the concept open to the community and gleaning info from what the backers want.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

hmm. that´s sort of weird i think. (not meant in a offensive way). Does that mean, if the numbers would be presented by some other *you own opinion of presenting something perfectly* the same numbers would then shine and be "better" ?

You know what i mean, it would help to get people to understand what he is trying to pitch because at this moment the campaign is failing and that is to no small amount due to the fact that its not presented in a way so people get excited and understand what on earth he is trying to do.

Besides there is not list or compact version of these "numbers". There is no concept documetn that outlines the his vision.

In fact, it seems that he is making this stuff up as the campaign goes on. (and of cause that would be fine too since he knows what he is doing and all, no need to tell me that.)

Originally posted by naezgul

So another title, which actually showed less was okay because the pitchman charmed you?

Ron Popeil has sold billions of dollars of junk because he presented things in a fantastical way......

... see above

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    R v R without FFA loot sounds good to me, but I am not giving a cent until the game is released.

I mean this is not called March on Oz "Unchained" right?

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Long is an understatement. This guy is just boring as hell. At least get someone that does not sound like he is falling asleep any minute or is overdosing on vicodin. I don't know but he does not sound excited about his own project at all. These Videos are awful and you all know it.

You mean like Paul Barnett? Also, nobody cares.

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95

hmm. that´s sort of weird i think. (not meant in a offensive way). Does that mean, if the numbers would be presented by some other *you own opinion of presenting something perfectly* the same numbers would then shine and be "better" ?

You know what i mean, it would help to get people to understand what he is trying to pitch because at this moment the campaign is failing and that is to no small amount due to the fact that its not presented in a way so people get excited and understand what on earth he is trying to do.

Besides there is not list or compact version of these "numbers". There is no concept documetn that outlines the his vision.

In fact, it seems that he is making this stuff up as the campaign goes on. (and of cause that would be fine too since he knows what he is doing and all, no need to tell me that.)

Originally posted by naezgul

... see above

hmm i think this unofficial FAQ could help, getting the essence of the wall´s of text =) !

Unofficial CU FAQ:

http://itcu.enjin.com/forum/m/12563697/viewthread/6521232-camelot-unchained-faq

I know another wall of text, but it is less then all FP together:

http://www.sklurb.com/camelot/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=346

A very good google.document put together:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16-KiQ-LGWEr0QjfihJ8AZ5itidYV4aXbmdXwAHfOjgQ/edit?pli=1

DAoC 

That was his best, absolutely.

Previously they had "Darkness Falls", which was somewhat well received, from what I understand, but limited to AOL's game service at the time.

Then there is also WAR, which while disappointing, most of the sections MJ had direct influence on were great.  Namely, T1 & T2.

DAoC was best, in large part, because they were working in an "Indie" environment, which it appears is where MJ thrives.  Not saying he didn't make some mistakes, in that era, but he has "owned up" to those.   Once you got EA involved, it became a whole new ball of wax, with all the corporate crap associated with that.   You probably know, but if not you can ask anyone:  Anything EA touches becomes corrupted and dies.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

WoW Vanilla PVP with Taren Mill & Southshore was the ultimate experience for PVP. 

I'm sorry that your online gaming experience have been incredibly shallow.  While WoW PvP at TM/SS was fun and entertaining, it wasn't the ultimate experience for all PvP.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

DAoC 

Previously they had "Darkness Falls", which was somewhat well received, from what I understand, but limited to AOL's game service at the time.

Then there is also WAR, which while disappointing, most of the sections MJ had direct influence on were great.  Namely, T1 & T2.

DAoC was best, in large part, because they were working in an "Indie" environment, which it appears is where MJ thrives.  Not saying he didn't make some mistakes, in that era, but he has "owned up" to those.   Once you got EA involved, it became a whole new ball of wax, with all the corporate crap associated with that.   You probably know, but if not you can ask anyone:  Anything EA touches becomes corrupted and dies.

Agree. But ToA. and if I (already have EA's money from the sell of Mythic in my bank) Did not like / think WAR was going in the right direction. I would not have waiting until Months after release to leave EA. MJ is a tool...

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Tech demo and alpha footage are interchangeable these days. 

I wish I saw this before posting, but guess I'll double post.  Anyway, you're wrong Karteli - tech demo and alpha footage is not interchangeable these days.  Tech demo is considered a proof of a working concept.  Alpha footage is when most foundamental building blocks are in place and you're expanding upon it to reach beta status.

EDIT:  Fixed a typo.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

DAoC 

There are fans for every game possible.. nobody can get around that.

There are fans for DAoC.  There are fans for UO.  There are fans for SWTOR.  .. and there are even fans for FIFA (go figure).

Just because someone is a virgin doesn't mean they won't become a sex slave later in life.  EA actually was a REALLY good company for computer games in the 80's.  Then they became a sex slave looking for more highs, instead of making great games.

MJ needs to send out a working version of CU alpha.  No if and's, or but's.

Because every fan of CU is getting all worked up for the ultimate game, and their ideas differ.  There can only be one final game, and many people are going to be disappointed.

The best game is one that never released, because fans keep their expectations high, and a game never released can also never fail.

BTW, this is a push for more videos not showing people talking about what they want, but what they can deliver.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

DAoC 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwiogFmg7OU

DAoC 

There are fans for every game possible.. nobody can get around that.

There are fans for DAoC.  There are fans for UO.  There are fans for SWTOR.  .. and there are even fans for FIFA (go figure).

Just because someone is a virgin doesn't mean they won't become a sex slave later in life.  EA actually was a REALLY good company for computer games in the 80's.  Then they became a sex slave looking for more highs.

MJ needs to send out a working version of CU alpha.  No if and's, or but's.

Because every fan of CU is getting all worked up for the ultimate game, and their ideas differ.  There can only be one final game, and many people are going to be disappointed.

The best game is one that never released, because fans keep their expectations high, and a game never released can also never fail.

BTW, this is a push for more videos not showing people talking about what they want, but what they can deliver.

Understandable. 

What people are getting worked up about isn't really "their own differing ideas about the ultimate game".  What they are excited about, primarily, are the foundational principles which Mark Jacobs, Andrew Meggs, and the CSE team have laid out on their website

Unfortunately you will not be seeing "a working version of CU alpha".  They're about 6 months or so away from the initial internal testing, and about a year away from the alpha stage.  As there are "no if's, and's or but's" concerning that, it would seem that you will not be supporting their Kickstarter.  Everyone has their own criteria to measure their willingness to support a project.

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

WoW Vanilla PVP with Taren Mill & Southshore was the ultimate experience for PVP.  But not because you were protecting some artificial NPC or structure .. you were defending real players with personalities actually trying to just PVE, and that made the whole experience DYNAMIC.  It was a battle worth fighting for.  Many friends made along the way.

CU doesn't have PVE, so it's already a niche market.  PVP only MMORPG's even driven the niche a little bit further.  If CU was just a MOBA, I think the game would have a resounding applause.

No one is going to take you seriously when you say wow and the ultimate pvp experience in the same sentence. I've notice you bash this around a lot recently though.

For him, it could of been.  Sure I did the Tarren Mill/Southshire fights (started a few of them myself), it was alright.   I found them a nice diversion, but I also found them near pointless.    I also went to GM on vanilla WoW, and sure it was fun.  Before the handholding killed it.  Ultimate pvp experience?  Not by a long shot.  That's my opinion, just like he's entilted to his.  Though, I guess when you state your opinion, then you ought to expect to be criticized.

For me, I have so many memorable pvp experiences from DAoC that I can't really rank them.  So many, like: when our 8man was wiping out the zergs, winning the 8v8's back to back to back(they were solid groups), milegate fights, first time we beat Dizzy in the classics being rr3's, stealing 3 relics in one night, or perhaps the time I got 200 deathblows using an oilpot during a long keep defense. 

In my comparsion to WoW from DAoC in terms of pvp was the thought behind them.  In WoW there was no persistence.  Killing everything in Tarren Mill didn't give you control of the town.  You just got flamed on the forums for killing the flight master.  The NPCs and enemy players would just keep coming over and over till you got bored, or you lost by attrition.  Sure you could kill a city boss.  Killed Thrall several times.  More out of trickery, exploits, and very very fast assault.  No way, you could march your way there.  Every player you kill comes back a minute later.  Killing thrall while it's kind out of a slap in the face didn't benefit you at all.  He'd just respawn back, no harm no foul. 

For DAoC it was a tug-o-war of power, peristence, benefit, and more in importantly there were more then one way to PvP.  For the most part, the realm sides would often keep things from getting too one-sided.  The goal was take control of enemy areas, while keeping yours.   Stealing the relics gave everyone on your realm a bonus if you have enoug of them.  Slap in the face, and I do 10% more damage; hell yeah.   Personal bonuses were good too, and on a long scale that was pretty hard to max that it took years of pvp to obtain.  YEARS.  You always had something to look forward to.  Then it was how you pvp'd.  There was keep and milegate fights, zerg fighting, 8v8s, duo/solo, the stealther metagame, and lowbie backgrounds for when you wanted to take a step back.

DAoC you got more powerful, got new abilitlies and community.  Vanilla WoW, you got a shiny set of armor that was made available to everyone near the end, and then totally invalidated.

CU promises to bring some of that back.  Sign me up.  I'll willing to hinge a bet on it, despite the lack of a playable demo or some trailer that has more beautiful artwork and flashy combat then what you'll find in the actual game.  Because every other mmo I've tried doesn't hold my attention for more then 3 months.