Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried, i really did...

taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

...but i can't take it anymore. I have been watching this Kickstarter Campaign for information and news that would excite me and ultimately make me give them my money.

The last 2 Videos, seriously? A video about people sending him ducks, his excitement jumped right out of the screen (/sarcasm).

It almost put me to sleep but what followed was an uninspiring, dredafully long winded video about some conceptual idea about some dungeon with RvR and mines and forge and some other veil stuff , whatever, i spaced out after that. One picture of a logo to back up his great idea. One that showed dick all. I had to switch off the video half way because i just could not take it anymore.

I remember other Projects that got me excited by showing enthusiastic videos of eager developers with cool things all over the place, people in the company getting interviewed, jokes and at least some interesting screenshots and content.

This guy is just doing my head in. I just can't take another video of him unpacking ducks and talking about his great vision. He comes off like a nobhead.

Good luck to the game but i am out.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Comments

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Okay, good luck to you in whatever MMO's you do decide to play!
  • CU_now_pleaseCU_now_please Member Posts: 47

That was done as a thank you to those who sent them, long-winded maybe but not a serious issue.

As for the rest, it is a concept of a game he is proposing, not a game already half way built.

In 3 years would you rather have a month trying a game you got on the cheap a long time ago, or not?

You said not, fair enough.

/anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    We all learn in different ways, this one just doesn't work well for you. Quite a bit of good info was communicated in the 2nd video, but it was a bit long I'll agree.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    We all learn in different ways, this one just doesn't work well for you. Quite a bit of good info was communicated in the 2nd video, but it was a bit long I'll agree.

Long is an understatement. This guy is just boring as hell. At least get someone that does not sound like he is falling asleep any minute or is overdosing on vicodin. I don't know but he does not sound excited about his own project at all. These Videos are awful and you all know it.

Originally posted by Raunu
    [mod edit]

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Long is an understatement. This guy is just boring as hell. At least get someone that does not sound like he is falling asleep any minute or is overdosing on vicodin. I don't know but he does not sound excited about his own project at all. These Videos are awful and you all know it.

I enjoy them; to each his own. If the videos were two hours long I would watch them.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

PR is not MJ's main field of expertise, true. Ideas are though..

You may not like this (it's ok really, can't please everyone all the time), but personally I'd rather have this than have a PR guy who can sell the dumbest idea as being the best thing since sliced bread..

It may sell less in the short run, but I have more confidence in them actually delivering than if it was done by some used car seller blabbing and hyping without even knowing what the heck he is talking about..

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176

I'm sorry, just my $.02.   That type of mentality is WAY too criticle.

^ Prooving the argument

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Yeah, maybe MJ should hire Paul Barnett! Because when I watch someone speak, I want them to act like they just drank a gallon of coffee!

• vulanxvulanx Member Posts: 13

...but i can't take it anymore. I have been watching this Kickstarter Campaign for information and news that would excite me and ultimately make me give them my money.

The last 2 Videos, seriously? A video about people sending him ducks, his excitement jumped right out of the screen (/sarcasm).

It almost put me to sleep but what followed was an uninspiring, dredafully long winded video about some conceptual idea about some dungeon with RvR and mines and forge and some other veil stuff , whatever, i spaced out after that. One picture of a logo to back up his great idea. One that showed dick all. I had to switch off the video half way because i just could not take it anymore.

I remember other Projects that got me excited by showing enthusiastic videos of eager developers with cool things all over the place, people in the company getting interviewed, jokes and at least some interesting screenshots and content.

This guy is just doing my head in. I just can't take another video of him unpacking ducks and talking about his great vision. He comes off like a nobhead.

Good luck to the game but i am out.

You sir must have missed the SmashHammer live stream..... it was .. .. ... ...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

The campaign is targeting DAoC players, who with rose colored glasses (tm) remember only the good parts.  They don't remember that WoW was the killing factor of DAoC.  They would rather cite poor expansions instead.

WoW Vanilla PVP with Taren Mill & Southshore was the ultimate experience for PVP.  But not because you were protecting some artificial NPC or structure .. you were defending real players with personalities actually trying to just PVE, and that made the whole experience DYNAMIC.  It was a battle worth fighting for.  Many friends made along the way.

CU doesn't have PVE, so it's already a niche market.  PVP only MMORPG's even driven the niche a little bit further.  If CU was just a MOBA, I think the game would have a resounding applause.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95

@OP

Hmm i can understand your point of view, but what could be changed ? Do you need some graphic´s / visuals to get energized ? I don´t understand how your "tried so hard" is working. It sound´s like you like the idea´s like hell but you need some visual´s for, jeah for what ? What does any visualized sketch from a "project on KS" change ? I think the idea is what´s count, when looking at a KS kampagne. (looking at a KS kampagne is something totally different and new)

For me a KS project is build of idea / motivation and some artwork´s that show how it does evtl. look like in the end.

• AeodoAeodo Member Posts: 61
    Cool story bro', cya on another game maybe :)
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

^This

I actually backed CU, but I feel like a tool for doing so. I know I could cancel it but with all the excitement I've heard (mostly from fans), it seems like it MIGHT be a good project. That said, I watch the videos and just shake my head.

[mod edit]

it was not my intention to offend you in some sort of way :( i just asked what´s your motivation build of and what visual´s tell you about a KS project or does not tell.

*EDIT* i opened a thread with exactly that topic by the way. If you wanna take a look it is located here : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/382199/KS-and-consumer-behavior-Questions-and-Theories-Camelot-Unchained-.html

sadly it is not vistited to much because i dont talk about the game in common or any game specific topic.

Originally posted by Karteli

The campaign is targeting DAoC players, who with rose colored glasses (tm) remember only the good parts.  They don't remember that WoW was the killing factor of DAoC.  They would rather cite poor expansions instead.

WoW Vanilla PVP with Taren Mill & Southshore was the ultimate experience for PVP.  But not because you were protecting some artificial NPC or structure .. you were defending real players with personalities actually trying to just PVE, and that made the whole experience DYNAMIC.  It was a battle worth fighting for.  Many friends made along the way.

CU doesn't have PVE, so it's already a niche market.  PVP only MMORPG's even driven the niche a little bit further.  If CU was just a MOBA, I think the game would have a resounding applause.

O.o

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Well i haven't backed CU but the concept does sound interesting but that is all it is, hating on an idea idea seems a bit futile. At least wait until they have something sufficient to show. One thing about MJ, he has experience in the industry. I'm just hoping at least one from matt frior and mark jacobs can release a fun rvr game.
    Originally posted by Karteli

No one is going to take you seriously when you say wow and the ultimate pvp experience in the same sentence. I've notice you bash this around a lot recently though.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Laeesh

@OP

Hmm i can understand your point of view, but what could be changed ? Do you need some graphic´s / visuals to get energized ? I don´t understand how your "tried so hard" is working. It sound´s like you like the idea´s like hell but you need some visual´s for, jeah for what ? What does any visualized sketch from a "project on KS" change ? I think the idea is what´s count, when looking at a KS kampagne. (looking at a KS kampagne is something totally different and new)

For me a KS project is build of idea / motivation and some artwork´s that show how it does evtl. look like in the end.

I agree, take DobleFine Adventure, they had NOTHING at all. But the way they presented themselves and their ideas and concepts even without screenshots or anything got  me excited.

Nothing got me excited so far for CU other than the promise of an old school RvR focused game that breaks the monotony of bad releases and endless stream of shit that is produced these days.

However, the campaign does nto get me excited and looking at the raw numbers, i am not the only one. It's a campaign, you need to somehow get people excited for this, not only the hardcore fans that reminiscent about the goold old DAoC days.

I am not against the game or what he tries to pitch, but it does not get me all wound up ready to throw $350+ at it. Anything at the lower backing levels is nonsense because then i can wait until release, if i still have to pay monthly for this game, that might be very outdated in 3 (more realistically 5) years from now.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

It's funny, this. I would think people try to convince me to see the value and greatness that is MJ's video series and how great the game is.

Especially seeing as it needs every little penny to get funded, because at this rate its going to fail.

Aparently it's prefered to attack people that have trouble seeing value in this Projects, best would be to insult them on top of it and tell them to go play something else, because you all going to be so happy in a game that does not get funded. (except the few civilized and well voiced posts, apologies my friends)

Great idea, that, seriously, thats really a good way to get this failing Project back on track. (/sarcasm)

Sorry but you can not play the victim card here after the tone you decided to take with your OP and then attack someone in your second post.

I don't think there is any room left after that for anyone to convince you. I have noticed that every post you make is eiher sarcastic or angry for some reason. Maybe if you present yourself in more friendly manner people would be inclined to listen to you and help you more.

Think about that. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Thanks for trying. Cya.

Hi

• AeodoAeodo Member Posts: 61
    I am not against the game or what he tries to pitch, but it does not get me all wound up ready to throw $350+ at it. Anything at the lower backing levels is nonsense because then i can wait until release, if i still have to pay monthly for this game, that might be very outdated in 3 (more realistically 5) years from now.

You can still throw 5$ and see how it develops on the backers forums. It's the cost of a sandwich.

Taus i respected you for your greed monger thread which was right on the button but you're wrong here. MJ has 30 years of experience making games, So why don't you just wait and see before getting your troll costume on.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's funny, this. I would think people try to convince me to see the value and greatness that is MJ's video series and how great the game is.

Especially seeing as it needs every little penny to get funded, because at this rate its going to fail.

Aparently it's prefered to attack people that have trouble seeing value in this Projects, best would be to insult them on top of it and tell them to go play something else, because you all going to be so happy in a game that does not get funded. (except the few civilized and well voiced posts, apologies my friends)

Great idea, that, seriously, thats really a good way to get this failing Project back on track. (/sarcasm)

The game has too many missing features, or stuff that isn't described properly.  Everything is just an idea, and that is horrible with people expecting a final project that they want .. but end up getting something that they don't / won't like.

There isn't a clear and concise flowchart for this game either.  Everything is still on the table.  No Alpha footage except:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eH4Gwxg4AV8#t=90s

Which is early alpha footage of a simulation.  Not very impressive.  Tech demo and alpha footage are interchangeable these days.  It's the intent, along with future game mechanics that I look at.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Laeesh

@OP

I agree, take DobleFine Adventure, they had NOTHING at all. But the way they presented themselves and their ideas and concepts even without screenshots or anything got  me excited.

Nothing got me excited so far for CU other than the promise of an old school RvR focused game that breaks the monotony of bad releases and endless stream of shit that is produced these days.

However, the campaign does nto get me excited and looking at the raw numbers, i am not the only one. It's a campaign, you need to somehow get people excited for this, not only the hardcore fans that reminiscent about the goold old DAoC days.

hmm. that´s sort of weird i think. (not meant in a offensive way). Does that mean, if the numbers would be presented by some other *you own opinion of presenting something perfectly* the same numbers would then shine and be "better" ?

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Taus i respected you for your greed monger thread which was right on the button but you're wrong here. MJ has 30 years of experience making games, So why don't you just wait and see before getting your troll costume on.

And 1 good game..... just 1..