Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEFIANCE Angry Joe Review - Spot on.

Comments

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Some people have issues letting go that some people like games they dislike. 

Yeah i certainly wouldnt spend all day on a game forums for a game i thought was bad or barely average.  I guess some have different agendas regarding games (which is really sad, its a game...entertainment...)

There is difference between hating something or having issues. You are saying that people who consider Defiance to be an average MMO shouldn't hang around on forums to discuss about it? i haven't seen anyone spewing pure hate towards Defiance yet. Maybe you should visit SWTOR and GW2 forums if you want to see real dislike and hate.

People who have issues with the game have as much right as those who are head over heels in love with it. I don't know how many times this has to be brought up.

This is not a fansite. And peple with both positive and negative views are welcome here. And if you can not deal with it then it is your problem.

Many people on this site cross the line on the dislike for a game.  We get it some people dont like the game.  Thats fine, no one expected this game to be one of those games everyone universally liked.

I dont really see the reasoning to hang around a game forum, for a game you dont like, and spend hours a day trying to prove to people who do like the game that they are wrong and no one agrees with them ect.  Thats what really seperates this site from the normal ones where discussions are easier to have about game, beyond the "this game sucks this game rocks" back and forth.

I do wonder the motive on some people who seem to REALLY care about trashing a game though.  Not sure if its nacrissism or financial reasons.  Probably nacrissm though. 

I expected the game to have some rabid haters, its very similair to another game that has a very rabid fanbase here, so it doesnt surprise me to see those guys here trying really hard.  Im certainly going to point it out in passing.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I have to say, Angry Joe and I seem to share opinions on just about everything.  If you've never watched his reviews before, I'd say it's definitely worth the time because he likes to go in-depth.

Man, I would love to watch something indepth on this, but this guy is a tool. Honestly could not watch past the 5 min marker.

'Angry' people that think they are funny... Pass.

Originally posted by DAS1337

Alright, how to pick apart this idiots review.

If you had any point to make it got lost with the first line. 

Calling people with different opinions idiots is just immature.

Maybe he thought he was an 'idiot' because of how he acted and not his opinion?

Which is valid, because that's how the guy comes across in his behaviour..

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have had way too many issues with game reviewers having there own agendas.  After several issues, I have found the only reviews come from people I know or myself.  When push comes to shove, the person playing the game, meaning you, is the only review that is going to matter.
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    I have had way too many issues with game reviewers having there own agendas.  After several issues, I have found the only reviews come from people I know or myself.  When push comes to shove, the person playing the game, meaning you, is the only review that is going to matter.

TYVM SPOT on. lol image

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    thanks for that OP, was a good laugh, guy had me laughing!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Alright, how to pick apart this idiots review.

Okay so, apparently this guy hasn't been around for a major video game launch.  As we all know there are patcher and server stability issues for the first few days, no matter how big or experienced the company is.  How many games can you guys name that have had flawless launches?  There aren't many, if any.  I certainly haven't seen one.  From what I know, the patcher issue is squashed and the servers are stable and not crashing any more.  So what is this game complaining about now?

The DL problem had been an issue in alpha for months.  Its one thing to have problems you hadn't accounted for and another to rush out a product knowing these issues existed.  Its a shame that it isn't that rare to have a bad launch in MMOs, but to not even be able to DL/patch the game?  

Trion admitted it's flaws and has given all players several boosts and a new title in-game for our troubles.  Those boosts cost real money, so it's basically free money that they have given all of us.  How many companies do that?  Not many.

Most actually, even EA gave free weekends to SWToR when they had their troubles. On top of that he says in his review that Trion is a great company and he's sure all this will be taken care of.  Trion ran a flash drive to the man's house so he could play the game after all.  

Falling Skies and Defiance do NOT have the same premise, this guy is just flat out lying with that statement.  I just needed to point that out, as I don't want people do believe that Defiance is copying another show.  

Lets see google premise Falling skies "The premise is that alien ships arrived – present day – and brought a whole lot of whoop-ass with them. Much of the world has been destroyed, military targets taken out, the population decimated and the aliens are an occupying force."

and what about Defiance? "The town of the television show is called Defiance and the world is post-apocalyptic following an alien invasion. "

To a casual observer they both seem pretty similar.  On top of that, while Joe does start out dumping on the show, he shows clips of the creators talking about it and by the end he has CHANGED HIS MIND and said he plans on watching it.

I also wanted to comment on his jab at the character creation.  He then goes to say how he made a character that looks just like him, or, a 'good approximation'.  My roommate said the same thing, and his character looks exactly like him.  My character didn't quite turn out how I hoped, but I can live with it.  It's a shooter, no one is paying attention to your face.  Either way, I'm sure character creation will be expanded.  We know the cash shops have headgear and outfits to further distinguish between players.  So hopefully all these things will look into.  

Its an mmo or a hybred not a pure shooter.  The Cgen isn't awful, but it pretty basic.  You can't changes height or body mass. Neverwinter. A free game, has more customization.  Also what your sure will happen and what actually exists are two different things. Joe talked about how the Cgen is now, not how you imagine it will be one day.  Even so, he goes on to talk about how you can gets clothes from missions and stuff.

He then goes to insult the storyline of Nolan and Irisi, which I felt to be pretty fun.  He says we didn't learn anything.  Well, the show hasn't even launched yet.  We do know that Nolan has a past that he doesn't want publicly known, so it must not be good.  He obviously has something to hide.  We know he was part of the Defiant Few in the battle of Defiance.  We know that he is an Ark Hunter along with his adopted daughter.  We know that she's a bit grumpy, which is obvious from the trailer that SyFy released earlier this month.  So from my opinion, they have done a pretty good job introducing the characters and giving a few tid bits of knowledge to make us want to know more.  He says that the game makes you feel disconnected from the show.  Interesting.  You've met the mutants, the hellbugs, the raiders and cyborgs, the dark matter... Which I'm guessing all play a major role in the TV series.  What else does this guy want?  OF COURSE it leaves you asking questions that are going to be answered by the TV series, they are intertwined.  That's the whole point of partnering these two products.  It appears like his is just another generation now kid who wants everything answered immediately.  Have some damn patience dude, let the game and show evolve with one another.

You said it yourself, the game gives players tid bits. Joe felt that paying 60+ for a full game that the story/plot should be better and not just handing out teasers.  Once again on a positive, he goes on to add that there is going to be DL content and he hopes that it will help fill in the gaps.

And that was in the first five minutes of the review.  I don't think I can keep listening.  He's clearly just a complaining idiot.

I guess you should have given the review more than 5 minutes and then you might have notice he said a lot of good things about the game.  I'm sorry you didn't like that he pointed out some of the game's worts, but pretending they aren't there won't make them go away.

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Hello

If you watch the entire video he goes on to talk about how the core gameplay, the fighting and driving, is very enjoyable.  A game can relatively easily work on the Lore, Variability of Questing and Social Aspects of a game, as compared to core game mechanics. So far I have really enjoyed the game but it is missing some things, to say otherwise would be dishonest. 

On a side note I would highly recommend reading up on Cognitive Dissonance when you have a spare moment, it explains to some degree why we look at things we do, and for an informal introduction of sort  read Nate Silvers Book “The Signal and the noise.”

Welcome Home

Rev.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

This is a truism. That is, it is true, but not particularly enlightening. But meanwhile the rest of us with limited funds have to decide whether it is worth it to drop $40-60 on a new game. Sure, we could always try-before-we-buy through rentals, but some of us nuttier types I suppose actually enjoy the vetting process of  doing research and pulling the trigger. Sometimes I've been burned, but not often because I've learned how to filter reviews and tease out the useful info from agendas and biases.

Yes, Angry Joe rants about the patch error....for a whole wopping thirty seconds of a 29-minute review. The rest of it went into enough depth and with enough examples that he showed in the gameplay itself to back up his assertions that I can reasonably conclude that this game might be worth $19.99 in the future.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Some people have issues letting go that some people like games they dislike. 

Yeah i certainly wouldnt spend all day on a game forums for a game i thought was bad or barely average.  I guess some have different agendas regarding games (which is really sad, its a game...entertainment...)

There is difference between hating something or having issues. You are saying that people who consider Defiance to be an average MMO shouldn't hang around on forums to discuss about it? i haven't seen anyone spewing pure hate towards Defiance yet. Maybe you should visit SWTOR and GW2 forums if you want to see real dislike and hate.

People who have issues with the game have as much right as those who are head over heels in love with it. I don't know how many times this has to be brought up.

This is not a fansite. And peple with both positive and negative views are welcome here. And if you can not deal with it then it is your problem.

Many people on this site cross the line on the dislike for a game.  We get it some people dont like the game.  Thats fine, no one expected this game to be one of those games everyone universally liked.

I dont really see the reasoning to hang around a game forum, for a game you dont like, and spend hours a day trying to prove to people who do like the game that they are wrong and no one agrees with them ect.  Thats what really seperates this site from the normal ones where discussions are easier to have about game, beyond the "this game sucks this game rocks" back and forth.

I do wonder the motive on some people who seem to REALLY care about trashing a game though.  Not sure if its nacrissism or financial reasons.  Probably nacrissm though. 

I expected the game to have some rabid haters, its very similair to another game that has a very rabid fanbase here, so it doesnt surprise me to see those guys here trying really hard.  Im certainly going to point it out in passing.

Cross the line? like i said you haven't seen the hate yet. The reception of Defiance has been average at best. Now if the  guy you have problem with had said that 'Defiance sucks i am never gonna touch it again' i would get your point. But so far all the issues that have brought up are legitimate issues concering content, map size, UI, chat etc.

Why don't you guys stick to discussing games instead of focusing  on people around here ? that will solve half of your problem. Because currently the only problem here is that you can not accept difference of opinion. Anything slightly negative and you want to just shut it down.

I haven't seen one rabid hater yet but people who agree with Angry Joe including me that Defiance is 5/10 at best..unless that is what constitute as 'rabid haters' in your book?

5/10 means neither bad or awesome but average. ANd i have long list of average games that i play from time to time.

Rabid haters don'r rate the games they hate 5/10. Think about that for a minute before your overreact again.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

The only points I think he made that have any worth are the poor UI and the fact that the chat systems needs work. He's blatantly wrong about some things.

No way to save different EGO configurations? Really, Joe? I suggest you look in your loadout screen again and pay attention the the 2nd loadout above your paper doll. No that's not just for weapons, it works for grenades, shields, vehicles, outfits and EGO abilities and perks.

Amusing as usual, but not really based on facts, with the 2 exceptions already mentioned.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The only points I think he made that have any worth are the poor UI and the fact that the chat systems needs work. He's blatantly wrong about some things.

No way to save different EGO configurations? Really, Joe? I suggest you look in your loadout screen again and pay attention the the 2nd loadout above your paper doll. No that's not just for weapons, it works for grenades, shields, vehicles, outfits and EGO abilities and perks.

Amusing as usual, but not really based on facts, with the 2 exceptions already mentioned.

Saving EGO configurations is pretty low on the list of issues, so if thats your example you wanna go after on him being wrong, on, that's not very impressive considering that we can see the stuff that is important get discussed.  We can actually hear the crappy voice acting. We can actually see the boring step-and-fetch questing. We can see the AI mobs acting stupid.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

While I agree with many points in the review I'm also one of those that is enjoying the game for what it is, a few hours of gun tooting fun.

There is no way that this game has the legs to be my full time MMO, it's great for a few hours then it's onto something else thats got a little more meat to it.

I'm looking forward to the show and from what I've seen it looks to have some promise, and ofc the knock-on effect will be that it will pique my interest to jump into the game after the show is over.

Here's hoping that the game will grow beyond what it currently is, it needs fleshing out, alot.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Scottgun

This is a truism. That is, it is true, but not particularly enlightening. But meanwhile the rest of us with limited funds have to decide whether it is worth it to drop $40-60 on a new game. Sure, we could always try-before-we-buy through rentals, but some of us nuttier types I suppose actually enjoy the vetting process of  doing research and pulling the trigger. Sometimes I've been burned, but not often because I've learned how to filter reviews and tease out the useful info from agendas and biases.

Yes, Angry Joe rants about the patch error....for a whole wopping thirty seconds of a 29-minute review. The rest of it went into enough depth and with enough examples that he showed in the gameplay itself to back up his assertions that I can reasonably conclude that this game might be worth $19.99 in the future.

Rule of thumb here, if your hesistant about spending the money then go with your gut feeling and don't spend it.

Your gut feeling is usually the one that ends up being right anyway.

Originally posted by AwDiddums

Rule of thumb here, if your hesistant about spending the money then go with your gut feeling and don't spend it.

I use my gut often. An interesting thing I notice is that when I watch lengthy in-depth reviews like this one, my gut is right most of the time.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Would have to agree with Joe, although he's wrong there is a data recorder that explains where the hell bugs come from.  That and the questionable voice actor for sheriff (black man thing) aside - the review is on the money.  I just uninstalled last night and even have a slight pull to go back.  Unfortunate.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

I use my gut often. An interesting thing I notice is that when I watch lengthy in-depth reviews like this one, my gut is right most of the time.

Same here. I didn't think it would get a 5/10 but no more than 7/10. Not that one day it can't be a 8/10, it just isn't anywhere near enough.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

The game does have problems: lack of content (pretty much *every* single mission is the same click 2-5 glowies and done), weapon balance is shit and getting worse (Trion is really dropping the ball here) Recent victum of their rampant unneeded nerfing is Infectors, which is a weapon type that already was considered near useless for pve due to its lack of damage, is getting nerfed to be even more useless because of idiots in pvp who suck at the game getting killed by people using them, same thing happened with grenade and rocket launchers, other than the split projectile ones, the others all are now garbage and no one uses them.

All Trion has to do is set the game so that stuff in pvp has diffrent base stats than in pve, they did it for Rift I don't see why they can't do it in defiance. They are also nerfing sawed off shotguns cuz of pvp whiners, that are so bad at the game to let someone manage to get point blank up to them (sawed offs u pretty much gotta be right on your targets ass or you ain't gonna hit anything) then gets 1 shoted. IMO in a game ruled by guns if someone is able to sneak right up to you to 1 shot you with a shotgun, you deserve to die, since you really have to be paying no attention at all to let someone get that close.

The game was buggy buts its alot better now, but I feel that trion is goiung to kill their own game by these broad pvp nerfs that also mess with the pve side because they do not test the impact in pve. They are also nerfing those split projectile nade/rocket launchers so expect those to turn to garbage now too, making those 2 weapon types and infectors not worth using at all.

I do find the game a bit fun for short periods of time, but its not a game I'd spend alot of time in at one sitting its just not good enough. But since the game is buy2play and trion has said that most of each dlc will be free (like the missions and instances will be free so your not seperated from your friends) I decided to pick it up with a 25% off coupon at greenman gaming a while ago.

All in all if you like third person shooters give it a shot if you got the extra cash.

Also there is a major client patch coming tomorrow the 15th of April, that addresses a massive amount of issues and such.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Small suggestion

Go play the game for yourself and make up your own mind .

I've learned to never listen to reviewers like this and in my opinion I found angry joe irritating and not really informative at all. 

Originally posted by sancher36

Small suggestion

I've learned to never listen to reviewers like this and in my opinion I found angry joe irritating and not really informative at all. 

I never trust big review sites, Sites like Ign, Gamespot etc are usually paid to rate the game higher than it deserves, Here is a video on youtube that has a guy talking about it, and also some links to articles proving thsi to be true, it explains why garbage games liek call of duty that is bascally the exact same gameplay released each year keeps getting such high scores. Money changes hands is the only reason it scores so high.

Warning video is not safe for work due to language (He swears alot):

Sadly what he says is true. and the ZI links confirm it, also don't believe the one with ign denying it, we all know they are full of shit and aren't afraid to lie.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

Small suggestion

That's just it, we are making up our own minds.

I have a hard time believing you watched more than a few minutes of this review. If you had, you would see him make assertions and back them up with real in-game examples. We can easily from it that the AI mobs are weak. We can easily believe that the quests are samey-samey step-and-fetchers. You can disagree with if you want, but he supported his case.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Small suggestion

I have a hard time believing you watched more than a few minutes of this review. If you had, you would see him make assertions and back them up with real in-game examples. We can easily from it that the AI mobs are weak. We can easily believe that the quests are samey-samey step-and-fetchers. You can disagree with if you want, but he supported his case.

Best way to review a game for yourself is to watch live streams of the game.  See how the gameplay looks and if you will like it.  If spending $60 on a game is really rough and will lead you to a highly emotional outcome should the game not last forever...then i really dont think you should even be gaming.

I think those of us who are not "really young" and didnt grow up with f2p games being everwhere have a certain expectation and tolerance to spending money on games that we may not like after a month.  I think growing up on console games then moving to mmo games that were all p2p games really solidified this.

Other than that buying the game and trying yourself is the best way to do it, you might buy a few games that youll end up getting only a month out of, but thats the price you pay.  Ive bought and loved a lot of hated games, and bought and hated a lot of well recieved games.  This site seems to like the opposite of what i end up enjoying long term for some reason, always has been this way though.

Personally ill never used some paid chump or "in it for the attention" game reviewer to push my opinion.  Its kind of a lame thing to do. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

This guy oozes 'I'm really trying hard to sound cool'.. I can't even get half way through it.  I'm done.  It's not a real review.  It's just some loser blogger trying to sound cool by pissing and moaning about the smallest insignificant things about the game.  Not to mention sounding stupid, racist and ignorant all at the same time.

And what if he had said immensely positive things about the game?  I bet your tune would be totally different.

Originally posted by Eir_S

This guy oozes 'I'm really trying hard to sound cool'.. I can't even get half way through it.  I'm done.  It's not a real review.  It's just some loser blogger trying to sound cool by pissing and moaning about the smallest insignificant things about the game.  Not to mention sounding stupid, racist and ignorant all at the same time.

And what if he had said immensely positive things about the game?  I bet your tune would be totally different.

I bet the guy would still be as annoying as fuck. 'angry' gamers are just a boring, but still irritating, cliche these days.

I am pretty neutral about Defiance btw, I actually quite enjoyed it but not enough to play with other choices on the table.

Small suggestion

Best way to review a game for yourself is to watch live streams of the game.  See how the gameplay looks and if you will like it.  If spending $60 on a game is really rough and will lead you to a highly emotional outcome should the game not last forever...then i really dont think you should even be gaming.

I think those of us who are not "really young" and didnt grow up with f2p games being everwhere have a certain expectation and tolerance to spending money on games that we may not like after a month.  I think growing up on console games then moving to mmo games that were all p2p games really solidified this.

Other than that buying the game and trying yourself is the best way to do it, you might buy a few games that youll end up getting only a month out of, but thats the price you pay.  Ive bought and loved a lot of hated games, and bought and hated a lot of well recieved games.  This site seems to like the opposite of what i end up enjoying long term for some reason, always has been this way though.

Personally ill never used some paid chump or "in it for the attention" game reviewer to push my opinion.  Its kind of a lame thing to do. 

Could be worse, you could have been ripped off by the makers of bioware infitie, the game has 0 replay value and can be finished in 2 days with about 8 hours of gameplay, after that, the game is essentally a coaster since there is nothing else to do, and it only has 1 ending. Not to mention it shouldn't even have the bioshock name on it, they did it for sales. The gameplay is a major step BACKWARDS from the first 2, what I like to call dumbing down was done. Other than the art/graphical style, the game has very little if anything to do with the orignal 2. It has vigors, but they are just crappy plasmids, they all are bascally the exact same thing with just a diff skin, cept maybe 1 or 2. Other than vigors its missing every other thing the old titles had, its why I'd not rate bioshock infinite higher than a 6.5, the gameplay quite frankly was fairly boring compared to the first 2 due to it feeling like a generic fps due to it being dumbed down so much.

Its because of games like Bioshock Infinite why there are so many pirates, I am sorry, but I am glad I didn't buy bioshock Infinite, I still cleared it, (got bless pc and torrents) but I am so glad I didn't buy it, 60 bucks for maybe 8 hours of gameplay is a rip, no matter how good the game is. All the ones who rated it 9/10 have to have been bribed becasue the game was not that good, and this is from a major fan of the first 2 games..

Anyway back on topic

I bought defiance for 50 bucks total off greenman gaming, and already got more fun out of it than bioshock infinite, imo defiance is a far better game, and this is from someone who is not all that thrilled with defiance.

or