Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these alive MMO titles would you like to see shutting down

Comments

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    All gpotato games.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Mackeskimo

picked WoW... I'm curious to know if and what, hypothetically, would be the aftermath of such a huge game (playerbase wise) in respect to dispersement of players.

What would the millions of players go to / do next, what kind of players would be going to what kind of games, etc.

Would it create such a vacuum that the current games would go into a frenzy to grab these potential customers? Could this cause several new, ofcourse not necessarily good, games to be published sooner?

My guess is that the MMO player base would drop significantly.

One thing I've found unique over the years with WoW (and LOTRO) is a lot of people play only that game, have no interest in other MMOs, and would most likely just stop playing.

That seems to be particualrly true in LOTRO. I belonged to a kinship that was made up of people from Myst Online and none of them were interested in MMOs, they were interesed in playing in Middle-Earth. The majority of the Landroval server has this mindset.

I got into WoW from the Warcraft games, not because I played UO and EQ. After trying most new MMOs and being disappointed time and time again, I went back to WoW and stayed there. If it shut down I really wouldn't bother looking for another MMO. I'd play single-player RPGs, which I think are better and more fun than MMOs anyway.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    None. Most of the games I can't stand cater to a community I don't want to be around.  If you shut the game down that community might go to games that I enjoy.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

If people are playing them - why would you want it shutdown. The answer is none!!!

I think this is more of a troll thread than anything esle.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Grunch
    WHy would anyone want a game shut down? What do I have to gain by having a game I don't play shut down? Instead I would rather have EA and perhaps SOE banned from making anymore mmo games

by that logic (which i agree) then why would you want to see SoE stopped from making games ?

Just don't play SoE or EA games I know many who love EQ2 and think its the best mmo in the market.I myself have nothing but praise for that game and its made by SoE .

just don't play them!!

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Interested in the results, if your title is not on the list please select "other" and make a comment

Why would you want to see any of them shut down?

You know people's livelyhoods depend on these games right?

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that, yes, I would like to see one of these games shut down and disappear and that would be SWTOR.

There won't be another, competing, SW MMO on the market as long as one already exists.  It doesn't make sense to have an IP competing with itself.

With the utter pile of garbage called SWTOR out of the way, then maybe work can begin on a SW MMO that doesn't reek.

Originally posted by topographic

That seems to be particualrly true in LOTRO. I belonged to a kinship that was made up of people from Myst Online and none of them were interested in MMOs, they were interesed in playing in Middle-Earth. The majority of the Landroval server has this mindset....If it shut down I really wouldn't bother looking for another MMO. I'd play single-player RPGs, which I think are better and more fun than MMOs anyway.

I'm on of those. I was an old school single-player RPG'er that chaffed at the idea of paying to play a game after I bought it. So I missed UO, EQ, and didn't even try WoW until long after multiple expansions. It was LotRO that got me to break my policy, and that was entirely because of the lore. But lo I burned out on that in that I quit when I was in the low-40's. I've tried all kinds of MMORPG's since then, but not that held my interest for more than 3 months.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by Grunch
    WHy would anyone want a game shut down? What do I have to gain by having a game I don't play shut down? Instead I would rather have EA and perhaps SOE banned from making anymore mmo games.
    Well sir,you might actually care about OTHER people?It is like saying..."Oh well my neighbour's house is getting robbed,but it doesn't concern me,so i don't care".Imagine some people might be wasting their money and time on a game that might very well shut down  before they realize the whole game.TIME is MUCH more valuable than money,any time you invest that might be lost before you are ready,can feel like a huge let down.I can use an example >>>TAbula Rasa.How many people invested time expecting to playout the game,then realize their time spent was wasted.How many people followed and read every article on Dark N Light ,for maybe a year or more,to finally realize NO GAME,they wasted al lthat time following that game.There are also many people who build  Guild webpages and coordinate theri guilds structure and run everyday events.Imagine they put in al lthat effort and the game folds?
    wow... simply wow.

"Allowing" someone else to play (and enjoy) a game you do not like equates to watching a neighbor get robbed. I cannot even begin to educate you on the many, many fallacies here.

You think you are the "Mother" to every gamer out there? You have shouldered the responsibility to save everyone who has different tastes than you from their folly. Oh joy...

What other aspects of life do you wish to save everyone else from, since you seem to know what is best for everyone? If someone wants to pay $200 for a pair of sneakers, do you run up and slap their hand for their folly? Maybe mention the many starving children in China? (Are there massive amounts of starving children in China?)

I show I "care" about other people by letting them enjoy what they want, spend their money how they desire, and not dictate to them what is "best for them."

If someone is enjoying a game, they decide if it is worth it or not, not you. Please, get a grip.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

P.S. Space Cowboy/Ace Online/Air Rivals or whatever the hell it's called when your reading this has been passed around from company to company like the village whore. Someone please put this game out of its misery.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    No bad karma for me. So i voted none of the above.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PoluxSTFUPoluxSTFU Member Posts: 2

Other:

2 words

THE WARZ

Originally posted by Robokapp

Still, all of these MMOs will shut down eventually. The poll is simply asking which shutdown you'd like to see. Liking or not liking to see this shutdown has no impact on the MMO employees. SWG proves this.

While your post is honorable, I think OP's post is not harming anything.

Exactly. I enjoyed Pirates of the Burning Sea, but they tried everything under the sun to make it successful and it just ain't happening. So I'd rather see them drop it and either rebuild a new one from scratch, or step aside and let someone else take a crack at a pirate MMO.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    You mine as well make a poll which company you would like to see shut down.........I could already predict how that would go.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

Secret World. No replay ability once you hit Nightmare mode and the PVP just stinks.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog

You know people's livelyhoods depend on these games right?
    can all of them coexist for ever ?   OP said "would like to see" not "want". To me this implies that he's only worried about the shutdown not about its employees. And indeed, most people aren't very worried about MMO devs. Part of the reason being that they can be employed onto the next MMO project, and having learned from their mistakes, do better. That's naively optimistic, in reality most don't care.   Still, all of these MMOs will shut down eventually. The poll is simply asking which shutdown you'd like to see. Liking or not liking to see this shutdown has no impact on the MMO employees. SWG proves this.   While your post is honorable, I think OP's post is not harming anything.

Wow can you say emotional? Talking about the employees when the game is the entertainment?   When a singer sings you don't give a rats behind about the other on stage singers or dancers do you?

My Blog
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I voted none. I play what I enjoy, if other people do the same while I don't always understand how they enjoy some of these games I don't wish them shut down.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The responces in this thread started out so well. I wonder if people post some of these moronic answers that folloed just because someone had to ?

The neighbors house buring down bit was almost funny

• ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    age of conan is considerably better than it used to be imo
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that, yes, I would like to see one of these games shut down and disappear and that would be SWTOR.

There won't be another, competing, SW MMO on the market as long as one already exists.  It doesn't make sense to have an IP competing with itself.

With the utter pile of garbage called SWTOR out of the way, then maybe work can begin on a SW MMO that doesn't reek.

At first I was going to say that EVEN I, the consumate hater, wouldn't want to see any mmo shut down. I was then going to continue on to say that I did wish that SWTOR wasn't a huge success because I didn't want to see other games follow their weak game mechanics and I got my wish.

HOWEVER! You make a seriously solid point. I do like the StarWars IP AND I also follow your line of thinking therefore, SWTOR must go if we are to see a better StarWars game on the MMO market any time soon. Sad to say, especially since people would lose their jobs but maybe they could just get...you know, shuffled over. Not a fan of who ever made the gameplay concept decisions though, THAT dude can eat it.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Thing is, if SWTOR does shut down, what are the rights holders & potential devs going to conclude -- that people want SWG or something like it instead, or that making a big-budget Star Wars MMORPG is not a worthwhile investment?

(and it's Star Wars, Disney won't let some indie studio on a shoestring budget touch it)

I kind of feel a similar way about LOTRO -- I don't like what Turbine did with the IP, but if it does crash and burn, or simply doesn't get the license renewed, I consider it unlikely that a game that I would personally consider a better use of the Middle-Earth setting would get funded, licensed and made (and that's even assuming the current Tolkien-Warner lawsuit doesn't end up with a ruling that Zaentz don't hold the rights to license online games at all).

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by Trionicus

At first I was going to say that EVEN I, the consumate hater, wouldn't want to see any mmo shut down. I was then going to continue on to say that I did wish that SWTOR wasn't a huge success because I didn't want to see other games follow their weak game mechanics and I got my wish.

HOWEVER! You make a seriously solid point. I do like the StarWars IP AND I also follow your line of thinking therefore, SWTOR must go if we are to see a better StarWars game on the MMO market any time soon. Sad to say, especially since people would lose their jobs but maybe they could just get...you know, shuffled over. Not a fan of who ever made the gameplay concept decisions though, THAT dude can eat it.

I disagree with this.  SWTOR was in development for years while SWG was running.  SOE had the chance to pay to renew their license and opted not to.  That's also discounting the fact that a few games based on the same IP have coexisted, not the least of which is EQ which is soon to have not two but three incarnations live at the same time.  If anything, I'd expect TOR's complete failure along with SWG's descent would scare any pennywise publisher from making another Star Wars game anytime soon.

On-topic, no, there's no game that I would like to see shutting down.

Originally posted by dancingstar

Thing is, if SWTOR does shut down, what are the rights holders & potential devs going to conclude -- that people want SWG or something like it instead, or that making a big-budget Star Wars MMORPG is not a worthwhile investment?

(and it's Star Wars, Disney won't let some indie studio on a shoestring budget touch it)

I kind of feel a similar way about LOTRO -- I don't like what Turbine did with the IP, but if it does crash and burn, or simply doesn't get the license renewed, I consider it unlikely that a game that I would personally consider a better use of the Middle-Earth setting would get funded, licensed and made (and that's even assuming the current Tolkien-Warner lawsuit doesn't end up with a ruling that Zaentz don't hold the rights to license online games at all).

I swear to god if LOTRO would have touched on it's PVP it would have 2x or 3x it's population. They are either too stupid or bullheaded and it saddens me. Alot of people would sub to LOTRO if the PVP would be fixed and they would do like they do in other games, enjoy PVE as a side-game.

My Blog
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    it is obvious which one will get most vote : WoW. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

lol ... why all the hate of games. If you don't like the game, don't play it and play something else.

There are many games i don't care about ... but i don't care enough to "want to see them shutting down".