Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new PvP game...

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new game with focus on PvP. DF: UW does not have alot of hype, and for being a heavy PvP game that could get critical.

I have questions though:

- Are there factions?

- Any level or only skilling up?

- FFA?

- Penalty on death? (like losing gear etc.)

I tried the old Darkfall and found it pretty complicated. Will this be any different?

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

All factions are player made

You only skill up, the prowess system is pretty genius

FFA everywhere except safezones (near starter towns)

FPS aiming, not tab target

It's full loot :)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    So by full loot you mean, if I die, some other player can go grab my stuff?
  • naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    yes and also in terms of cities, boats, villages etc. in other words - if you want to own something you'l have to fight for it

Sounds cool and bad at the same time :P

I know that it is impossible not to get slain. I guess the game is a pain in the ass when someone with better gear come's at you, smack your ass, and you are left naked. What to do then?

I like the idea of the game. But I tried the old Darkfall and I found it not very user friendly to start out with.

I also fear if there's not enough players in this game, then it will be a ghost town.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I know that it is not impossible not to get slain. I guess the game is a pain in the ass when someone with better gear come's at you, smack your ass, and you are left naked. What to do then?

I think you should do what Master Conan did.

Train your skills,think ,atleast I would Set some goals to myselft,that someday i will make him pay,and start training my skills and muscles.

When that someday comes,that guy is going to pay and all his relatives too

I will protect innocents from that kind of guys.

etc.

i have no idea how they enhanced PvP side of this game.

i hope they added some advanced hatelist features,like when someone from your hatelist is near game shows marker on him or paints him in different colour or something like that.

Let's internet

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

DFUW is very different from the original game, it's designed to be easier to learn. You have a fairly extensive tutorial and starter prowess line which will teach you all the basics. Classes allow you to do what you want to do w/o having to worry about being a super-hybrid-god like in DF1. Safezones will allow you to craft, gear, learn w/o being harassed if you want. There's no longer a need to have 10+ scripts to PvP with the new classes and GUI.

Gear isn't too hard to get, aslong as you're not wearing top of the range stuff for every fight. Yes if you die anything on your person is lootable, become better than average and you'll never run out of stuff in your bank.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I know that it is impossible not to get slain. I guess the game is a pain in the ass when someone with better gear come's at you, smack your ass, and you are left naked. What to do then?

I like the idea of the game. But I tried the old Darkfall and I found it not very user friendly to start out with.

I also fear if there's not enough players in this game, then it will be a ghost town.

Ifs your affraid of dieing it isnt to much of a big deal unlike games like ur tipical games such as WoW when it takes forever to earn good gear it alot easier to get it in DF but still enough that u want to advoid dieing :)

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new game with focus on PvP.

Then you have no choice.

The first couple of months of release for pvp mmo's are always the best.

For the price of the preorder, you will not find a better deal for 30 days of entertainment and drama.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well DF:UW is bad compared to the first one...

but it is easier to get into..

Dont worry about getting killed and losing all your stuff gear is easy to come by.. get in with a good clan and you will be fine. Just dont try adn play it solo as its never been aimed at solo players really.. not saying it cant be done but you will have a harder time..

For me they messed up what was a good game and dumbed it right down and added in features no one wanted and removed ones that made the old game good..

• GosseynGosseyn Member Posts: 26

If you love pvp then this is a game to try out indeed.

And ones you go full loot you can never go back :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MMO_Fan

Then you have no choice.

For the price of the preorder, you will not find a better deal for 30 days of entertainment and drama.

with all the 'drama' surrounding this game at the moment, i'd hesitate to encourage anyone to buy it, at the very least i would advise waiting until at least a week after launch, just to be sure it didimage

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by MMO_Fan

Then you have no choice.

with all the 'drama' surrounding this game at the moment, i'd hesitate to encourage anyone to buy it, at the very least i would advise waiting until at least a week after launch, just to be sure it didimage

While that is true and could save you some heartache, it also puts you a week behind.  This can be offset somewhat if you join a clan and don't solo.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Watch ripperx's youtube vids. Very entertaning.

I wanted my money back a few weeks ago, but the game is coming along really well, still work to be done and lets hope av will add the missing things shortly after launch. Just need to find a fun eu guild now.

See you on the 16tg.

The biggest reason I',m a bit on the fence, is because it is a PvP MMORPG with a monthly fee.

PvP MMORPGs are very demaning on having players.

If no one subs, the game is dead.

And SOO many are saying  this game will die. There's so much hate on this game so that fears me too.

Also, as far as I know... People who played the old Darkfall got everything deleted right?

So it can happen that this games goes down too in three years and have to buy a new game.

• luvbooxluvboox Member Posts: 87
    Also, as far as I know... People who played the old Darkfall got everything deleted right?

So it can happen that this games goes down too in three years and have to buy a new game.

Hey, if this game can keep me entertained for six months it will have been worth the money. I'm not too worried about what will happen to the game three years from now. 

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

The biggest reason I',m a bit on the fence, is because it is a PvP MMORPG with a monthly fee.

PvP MMORPGs are very demaning on having players.

If no one subs, the game is dead.

And SOO many are saying  this game will die. There's so much hate on this game so that fears me too.

The game won't die. DFO never died, but the devs killed it themselves because they were not working on it and when we had a decent population, they announced a wipe too soon like a year before or less. 3 months before they closed the game, they updated it with a grind reduction, something that everyone wanted because in DFO, it was impossible to level up without macro's or an other way to cheat your way up. We had a lot of players near the end.

DF UW got better in everyway for the mass and the devs are working on it like they should. We're not only getting weekly update, we're now getting daily updates in the forum from the devs and each patches change the game for the better. Bugs gets fixed really fast too.

Now, the only problem and what most ppl are complaining about are the safe zones. There's no good vs villains and everyone can be safe. There's like 6 different continent with 6 huge safe zones. Each safe zones has 4 npc cities and there's a circle radious between each one of them.

Only way to find pvp is near the border, but when you're about to lose, you just need to run back inside. Even the vets themselves use the safe zone, it's not only for newb's or players don't kill good aligned players.

Finally, as a result of the safe zone, there's no politic. We can build player cities, hamlets and buying a house, but there's no reason to go live in there with the rest of your clan because the safe zone covers that already. As an other result, in game, there's 0 city built. Only banks and city nodes are built. It's boring to explore the world just because of that.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Just wanted to tell that you guys can coun't me in. I took my chances and pre-ordered the game to get some money savings on it (the before april 12 discount).

I have just read somewhere that there should be an headstart for people pre ordering, that should be able to play april 12th. But I can't seem to find this anywhere anymore :(

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Dont worry about getting killed and losing all your stuff gear is easy to come by.. get in with a good clan and you will be fine. Just dont try adn play it solo as its never been aimed at solo players really.. not saying it cant be done but you will have a harder time..

For me they messed up what was a good game and dumbed it right down and added in features no one wanted and removed ones that made the old game good..

Some parts of DF:UW is bad compared to the first one, but other parts are way better.

No more bunny jumping, afk swimming, bloodwall and hugeass grind. The slower combat is good for casual players and hated by the top pvpers. Safe zones are good for new players, harvesting and crafters.  

Atleast we still have a full-loot mmo.

Ohh and if someone is new, get in a clan as soon as possible. No really, don`t wait a few weeks, do it now.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Safe zones are good for new players, harvesting and crafters.  

That right there is horrible for a full loot MMO, lol  In DF1 it was awesome raiding cities and catching a crafter or catching a harvester out in the wild loaded down with resources...  Now you can do all that in complete safety - BIG negative for a full loot game.

A HUGE part of the risk of the game is taken completely away.  Oh shit just got jumped at the PvE spawn but the combat is slower, BUT I am a skirmisher - pop a few specials then pop mount and you are int he dust buddy never to catch me as I head to the safe zone - now ya can't touch me either...  Yeah a much better game with these safe zones....

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

The game is not easy to learn, no doubt...however the new one is easier to learn.  Key is getting in a clan quick in the beginning.  At launch it'll be easier to get in clans as everyone is looking for a prowess boost to get holdings, etc.  That said, get in quick...find a clan that you can ask questions to that won't say stfu noob...and you can pick it up quick.  We won't say stfu noob for the first two weeks...so, you can message me if you are interested.  2 weeks and 1 day...its stfu noob.  ;)

The gear loss isn't as big a deal as you would think.  If you came from games like wow, eq, l2, etc...you are thinking of how hard it is to get gear...in DF you could farm out the mats to have the top gear crafted in a few hours...so sure it still sucks to lose it...but its not like losing gear in a gear grind game.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

That right there is horrible for a full loot MMO, lol  In DF1 it was awesome raiding cities and catching a crafter or catching a harvester out in the wild loaded down with resources...  Now you can do all that in complete safety - BIG negative for a full loot game. A HUGE part of the risk of the game is taken completely away.  Oh shit just got jumped at the PvE spawn but the combat is slower, BUT I am a skirmisher - pop a few specials then pop mount and you are int he dust buddy never to catch me as I head to the safe zone - now ya can't touch me either...  Yeah a much better game with these safe zones....

Yeah right, like DF1 was so fantastic.

That game was so empty, I was glad my harvester alt sometime died. Then I atleast knew there were some players around. The resources around starter citys will soon be depleted, so harvesters will have to venture out in the wilderness to get mats anyway.

Safezones was necessary compared to the totally broken alignment we had in DF1. A crafter could be killed ever 15 minute in a startercity, and by the same killer. Kill crafter in a starter city - let friend loot - repawn at chaos stone - kill alt from an other race - get blue- rinse and repeat. I watched it happen, and I guess thats what you call "risk".

And why would you kill harvesters and crafters, when you can kill and loot a pvper equipped in full armor?

Or maybe that would be what you so cleverly call risk.

Ohh and by the way, my harvester will be a skirmisher with a horse. Your harvester killer char better be a skirmisher too, so that you can pop a few specials then pop a mount and make a pursue. If not, you might risk something too...your time.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

its not like that, full loot games never have the same gear system as wow etc. you can get best gear easily but u cannot afford to use it all the time. but decent gear will be very easy to get hold of. you wont ever have to be naked.

there is very legit reasons to be on the fence for this game. but full loot should not be one of them unless you really are a complete wuss.

My blog: image

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

I've only just jumped into Darkfall but i'm liking it so far and the game runs way better than i thought it would watching youtube. The tutorial definately helps with the basics and the safe zone means i can get a feel for the game before wondering if that guy in the distance is some vet wanting to gank me.

While i don't yet know the size of the safe zone surely all AV would have to do is make it so harvestable rares are located or more plentiful outside the zones and voila you have a good reason to leave them.

I also think the population problems they will have is not enough server capacity once Darkfall releases on Steam. There will probably be regular injections of players through Steam sales as long as the game can keep a stable player base.

I tried the trial for some hours and I really think this game has potential.

I only had a few problems with the game.

- It still feels like I have to do some research to understand the game.

- The UI could be better. When pressing ESC and see all the menu's they are quite small, at least in 1920x1080.

But I actually look forward to play the game. I just hope it won't die too fast.