Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Character Progression in the Spotlight

13»

Comments

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe EnglandPosts: 88Member
    This is good :) One of my main complaints was the lack of customization!

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Burlington, VTPosts: 374Member

I'm glad they've gone in this direction. The closer they get to the tabletop game, the happier I am. I can't wait until they start incorporating more of the classes and races like the Eladrin and Aasimars/Devas!

However, like others have said, I do wish they would give players the ability to utilize more abilities at a given time rather than restrict players to 7 slots. It's the ole 'dumbing down' so everyone can enjoy it mentality. It aggravates me to no end!

Why should the smart people have to suffer? If you can't hack all those buttons at once play Tic-Tac-Toe or Duck Hunt or stick with Mario Bros. I'm sick of being penalized for being intelligent, because 70% of the population is dumber than a post!

Sorry for the rant, but I want to be challenged; not have everything simplified. Simplification is for the lazy zombified morons!

Other than that, I'm happy with the changes to character progression.

Now, if Cryptic could just improve the facial and hair textures and give us more customization options in the character creator I'd be satisfied!

Your fail comment, failed.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    this new system hasn't gotten very good feedback so far.. and honestly I dislike it.. it doesn't really offer much "choice" at all.. in theory it would work if they added more powers but not adding any powers make this new system pointless as you basically get every single skill in each tier as you level anyway in order to unlock the next tier... you get some "slight" customization at 20 points when you unlock tier 3 upgrades but then really the only sort of customization you are getting is making an ability a tad stronger but overall you are still using all the same abilities you were in the old system..  without a slew of new abilities i feel this new system was just a waist of effort on the dev side

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ReizlaReizla AlkmaarPosts: 3,300Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    this new system hasn't gotten very good feedback so far.. and honestly I dislike it.. it doesn't really offer much "choice" at all.. in theory it would work if they added more powers but not adding any powers make this new system pointless as you basically get every single skill in each tier as you level anyway in order to unlock the next tier... you get some "slight" customization at 20 points when you unlock tier 3 upgrades but then really the only sort of customization you are getting is making an ability a tad stronger but overall you are still using all the same abilities you were in the old system..  without a slew of new abilities i feel this new system was just a waist of effort on the dev side

Totally agree there. Up to level 30 or so there's not much choice. After that level you can 'specialize' (read: unlock 3rd and max tier) in a spell, but before that, every char has kinda the same spells available. Only differenciation there comes from the progression/hero tree, but that's not making that much an impact though :s

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    ASUS GTX970 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

Originally posted by Reizla

Totally agree there. Up to level 30 or so there's not much choice. After that level you can 'specialize' (read: unlock 3rd and max tier) in a spell, but before that, every char has kinda the same spells available. Only differenciation there comes from the progression/hero tree, but that's not making that much an impact though :s

forgot to mention the worst part of all,  Zen based respecs.. that's right cash based respecs.. seriously wtf! really not happy right now...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,603Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Reizla Originally posted by Aerowyn this new system hasn't gotten very good feedback so far.. and honestly I dislike it.. it doesn't really offer much "choice" at all.. in theory it would work if they added more powers but not adding any powers make this new system pointless as you basically get every single skill in each tier as you level anyway in order to unlock the next tier... you get some "slight" customization at 20 points when you unlock tier 3 upgrades but then really the only sort of customization you are getting is making an ability a tad stronger but overall you are still using all the same abilities you were in the old system..  without a slew of new abilities i feel this new system was just a waist of effort on the dev side
    forgot to mention the worst part of all,  Zen based respecs.. that's right cash based respecs.. seriously wtf! really not happy right now...

Welcome to the Free to play controlled future of MMOs.

Now get out your wallets. This isnt a robbery, its just a microtransaction.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Aerowyn this new system hasn't gotten very good feedback so far.. and honestly I dislike it.. it doesn't really offer much "choice" at all.. in theory it would work if they added more powers but not adding any powers make this new system pointless as you basically get every single skill in each tier as you level anyway in order to unlock the next tier... you get some "slight" customization at 20 points when you unlock tier 3 upgrades but then really the only sort of customization you are getting is making an ability a tad stronger but overall you are still using all the same abilities you were in the old system..  without a slew of new abilities i feel this new system was just a waist of effort on the dev side

i don't mind a certain degree of microtransactions for things.. the issue is there already is plenty of things to buy in this game with real money.. maybe if they had a sub option that offered free respecs and monthly astrals I would do that but as someone who likes to change their build around a lot this is really ridiculous imho.. i really hope its not a permanent change and they see how dumb it is and revert back. Worst part of it also is certain people on the official forums actually supporting this change.. gah!

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Wolcott, NYPosts: 671Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Aerowyn this new system hasn't gotten very good feedback so far.. and honestly I dislike it.. it doesn't really offer much "choice" at all.. in theory it would work if they added more powers but not adding any powers make this new system pointless as you basically get every single skill in each tier as you level anyway in order to unlock the next tier... you get some "slight" customization at 20 points when you unlock tier 3 upgrades but then really the only sort of customization you are getting is making an ability a tad stronger but overall you are still using all the same abilities you were in the old system..  without a slew of new abilities i feel this new system was just a waist of effort on the dev side

i don't mind a certain degree of microtransactions for things.. the issue is there already is plenty of things to buy in this game with real money.. maybe if they had a sub option that offered free respecs and monthly astrals I would do that but as someone who likes to change their build around a lot this is really ridiculous imho.. i really hope its not a permanent change and they see how dumb it is and revert back. Worst part of it also is certain people on the official forums actually supporting this change.. gah!

If this is the case... I won't be respeccing to often. In the extreme I won't be playing the game at all. 

I see this game as a "hop in and play for a bit" game. Honestly I do not see enough in the game as a MMO to keep me playing on a consistent basis, but if they are going to go the way of swtor and charge for everything I will not play it on principle.

13»