Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion: How to get from 7k to 15k backers within a few days and ensure Kickstarter success

2»

Comments

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by Taldier

Stop for a moment and think.

What support staff?  Who do you think reads those 15,000 players' bug reports and comments?  Mark Jacobs?  Every single one?   Do the ducks do it?  Maybe some magical fairies?

Yes, they have Internal Testing before Alpha.  But Alpha is still over a year before launch and less than a year after the start of Internal Testing.  Alpha is a testing phase.  They need people there actually testing.  They need people writing up intelligent bug reports and suggestions for them to evaluate.  There are three seperate Betas that come after Alpha.

You seem to just want Alpha as some sort of status symbol, but if you arent going to be providing useful testing data, theres absolutely no reason for you to be there.

You can have a smart feedback form like GW2 for example. Or something with voting a la PS2. 

Are you implying people who pay less can't write intelligent bug reports and suggestions?

No, I want the kickstarter to succeed and I want to give them my money. But when they tell me "you will play 13 months after the others and 3 months before release" it sounds like they don't want my money.

See like the poster above me this is starting to sound less like "i love this project and want it backed so here is an idea", and more like a selfish "i want this backed but screw you i'm not gonna help unless i get exactly what i want for exactly how much i want". Your previous posts in other threads gave me that same impression but this latest post screams it. Sometimes more money means more perks and thats the way of life, be it in the gaming industry or other industries. Maybe its a sad fact of life but thats the way the world works.

You say you love this project and want it to fund. You can fund it but you choose not to because they haven't catered to your exact wants and desires. To hold back your money/support for a project you supposedly want to succeed doesn't show love for the project, it shows selfishness. Mark/CSE can't cater to every single person's wants and desires.

In the end, if you love the project and have the means to support it then do so. If you supposedly love the project, have the means to support it, but choose not to because CSE didn't cater a tier specifically to your every whim that makes you come off like a spoiled little child. Its your right to do, act, and say things the way you choose. But don't be surprised when others see through your OP for what it really is more and more with each of your posts.

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

Mr. Jacobs,

I will buy the $350 tier if I gat a 15% stake in profits from the game.....

if you don't accept this proposal I am but left to believe you do not want my money!

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by naezgul

Mr. Jacobs,

I will buy the $350 tier if I gat a 15% stake in profits from the game.....

if you don't accept this proposal I am but left to believe you do not want my money!

lol//

What are you in for now? $180 slot is open, for those that care.Might already be gone

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Well, there is only a six-month difference between alpha access (August 2014) and beta 1 access (February 2015), so it is not a full year like the original post sort of implied by being a bit vague. The difference in tier price is $110 vs. $50, and that $50 package is pretty decent for what you get. It is the box price of a new game with a lot of good bonuses. The $110 tier is even better, obviously, and in my opinion is the best bang-for-your-buck tier there is. On top of the alpha access, the clear highlight, you get a whack of in-game digital goods.

Secondly, while I agree a lower-priced alpha tier could result in more backers, it raises other questions, like:

- How many more backers?

- Is that many more alpha testers useful or necessary? Is i counter-productive?

- Are these the sort of backers we want to give alpha access to?

I do not think it would result in a large surge of backers, personally. I do not feel there is strong evidence supporting the fact that people not pledging are not pledging because they do not get alpha access. I also do not think an alpha test with 10,000+ players is all that useful. The signal-to-noise ratio would be insane. As for the last question, I do not think someone paying $110 is inherently better than someone paying $25, but the person paying $110 is at the very least more likely to be invested in the game and not just there to be a tourist. I get the feeling many paying $25 would just be doing it for a cheap, guaranteed alpha tour. Leave that for beta when the game shifts from fundamental design choices and rough patches to something more stable that is more about balance and bug fixing, and making it fun. That is when the floodgates can start to open, as there will actually be a game.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, MJ is willing to give away internal access to those who post constructively in the forums and yes, even to the critics. I hope tons of critics get in because they are going to make the game better than superfans, as long as they channel their criticism properly. On this forum, for example, there are a few good critics I love reading, but most are trolls with a vendetta against MJ for WAR or ToA, or just petty in general. Those are the fools I hope get kept out by the price.

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64

I guess we'll be seeing 1000 more of these same threads from the same guy until he realizes that his wish isn't a command. Some people are so sad... No you don't get alpha access by pledging 25 US$, GET OVER IT!

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142

/agree with OP

Worth a try as long as max total alpha spots remains the same.

Only risk *might* be that people who spent 110$ might downgrade. I won't because of the other benefits, but others might if their only real motivation is alpha. I don't think this risk is high because people who already went in the 110 tier probably did it because they want to see this game funded more then simply for alpha access, but it should be considered.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

What support staff?  Who do you think reads those 15,000 players' bug reports and comments?  Mark Jacobs?  Every single one?   Do the ducks do it?  Maybe some magical fairies?

Yes, they have Internal Testing before Alpha.  But Alpha is still over a year before launch and less than a year after the start of Internal Testing.  Alpha is a testing phase.  They need people there actually testing.  They need people writing up intelligent bug reports and suggestions for them to evaluate.  There are three seperate Betas that come after Alpha.

You seem to just want Alpha as some sort of status symbol, but if you arent going to be providing useful testing data, theres absolutely no reason for you to be there.

You can have a smart feedback form like GW2 for example. Or something with voting a la PS2. 

Are you implying people who pay less can't write intelligent bug reports and suggestions?

No, I want the kickstarter to succeed and I want to give them my money. But when they tell me "you will play 13 months after the others and 3 months before release" it sounds like they don't want my money.

It has been said several times by MJ than if you are participationg in the forums you will get access to IT and so you shouldn't choose the IT tier if you have the time and comitment to get into it. And that's why that tier is very limited.

I don't see why it would be different for alpha than for IT.

• LysiLysi Member Posts: 10

You didn't reply to my comments but that is ok.  Mark Jacobs specifically said that he didn't want the IT testing and alpha tiers to be soley pay to test for those that want it.  If you participate in the forms actively and express interest in testing, then your chances are good of getting in.   He also says that IT testing may be tedious and boring and other games say they are giving away alpha when they are actually giving away beta testing.   For this alpha testing, it truly will be a buggy alpha, we should expect that.  Lastly, he also said that he wants to get as many people in testing as soon as he can which makes sense to use forum participation to help him do that.

I know a lot of people like having Beta testing but also many people still seemed confused about it.  I've only lurked on these forums but prior to SWTOR coming out (on their forums), people were surprised when they learned they couldn't keep their Beta testing characters.   Many of those people didn't know what Beta testing really meant, not to say that is the same here but I think a lot of people wouldn't know what alpha testing really meant.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I have a hard time believing there are 8k people who like the concept of the game, could afford to donate $25 or more, but aren't because they don't get alpha access. The $25 tier seems quite good to me as it is. Why wouldn't most of these people have donated at that level anyway or at $50 for beta 1?

How about this compromise though: have a lottery for alpha access for the limited tiers below $110 with your chances of winning increasing based on your donation? The number of slots available would be based on the number of alpha slots unfilled at the end of the Kickstarter. If there are more available alpha slots than donors in those limited tiers (too lazy to add up the numbers), then they all automatically get bumped to alpha.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• ExarchiExarchi Member Posts: 17

Just a few words...

I'm spent 10 years playing DAOC on Prydwen, Camlann, Mordred and Uthgard. I have  very high interest on the outcome of this game and an equally high interest in being able to test it and give my input as early as possible.

However, I'm currently in a financial low point so $50 is the maximum I can really afford to pledge. But I must say I'm very happy with the rewards I'm given for this amount. Yes, I'd love to be able to get into the testing 6 months earlier but it's not going to prevent me from giving my input. I'll be able to read up on the feedback from Alpha testers and who knows, I might still have a chance to join in via the backers forum.

My point is, I don't think the lack of cheap alpha access is preventing people from pledging, and if so it's very few people.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by Exarchi

Just a few words...

I'm spent 10 years playing DAOC on Prydwen, Camlann, Mordred and Uthgard. I have  very high interest on the outcome of this game and an equally high interest in being able to test it and give my input as early as possible.

However, I'm currently in a financial low point so $50 is the maximum I can really afford to pledge. But I must say I'm very happy with the rewards I'm given for this amount. Yes, I'd love to be able to get into the testing 6 months earlier but it's not going to prevent me from giving my input. I'll be able to read up on the feedback from Alpha testers and who knows, I might still have a chance to join in via the backers forum.

My point is, I don't think the lack of cheap alpha access is preventing people from pledging, and if so it's very few people.

See your attitude is the proper one. "I can't pledge higher but if I get the access via my participation I'll be happy.  If I don't I still love this project and want to support it." That attitude will get you into alpha or earlier beta stages I have zero doubt of that. The reason why is because you're willing to support this project because of the vision not just solely for alpha access without paying for it. For what its worth I truly hope you are active on the boards and get alpha, even IT, access because with your attitude of "i just want to help"  as opposed to "i demand alpha acces for $30" you'd be an asset.