Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Defiance: Review In Progress #2

Comments

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Great right up Bill you did right by it and also congratz on the baby you will be having fun now.

As for the game I have the same feeling about certain thing like the VIOP and the chat but the rest of the game is fantastic you are never with out nothing to do there is just to much besides missions and story there are DE's even tho there are only about 6 or 7 different ones there fun and then there are ARKFALLS which do get old after time but still fun to do. 

PVP is not bad but it need some fixes like the cloak shottys need to tone down and Shadow war's need a faster time on them. Instances are a blast and they need to add end boss rewards like one or two items rewards also maybe like a named item thats gold or purple  that randomly drops would be cool. I like that at ego 1200 I can go to any area of the map and still get owned by NPC's and hope they keep it this way. Other then that I like this as much as Guild Wars 2 and thats saying alot.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• darqartdarqart Member Posts: 5

i played in both the alpha and the beta. While i had fun i also came to the conclusion that the game was very limited in scope. when you compare it to games like the first "everquest" which is massive in scope it just does not hold up. as far as land mass goes, it is tiny in comparison to the original everquest, EQ2 or the more recent wow. as far as content goes i finished the main quest and the side quests in just a few weeks. To compare, it took me several years to level up in eq 1 and i never fully leveled a character to maximum.

I am not going to say buy it or not buy it. just be aware that the game in its current state is very limited. I decided that it was not eneough there for me to continue any further investment in it.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Congratulations Bill!

Say goodbye to sleep.

Good Review in Progress or RIP. I have been playing Defiance from beta into launch, while it definately has its problems, it still has a good hook to it. I've run into plenty of little bugs here and there. Hopefully the new build/patch is going to solve most of them. I can only hope to say all.

While I dropped the initial 60 for the game at launch, I am a bit apprehensive at this stage to indulge for the season pass. Which is going to add five content packs as (far as I know) the show progresses. I hope the show has a successful launch, looks interesting for a sci-fi western.

I've been playing a bit of the PvP. I can say that I am more of a Defiance player for its PvE right now. There is another shooter I go for my PvP. I am going to post about that soon.

Grats again Bill!

Ink

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yep gratz man :)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    It's a very good game
  • BeerGutBeerGut Member Posts: 24

Grats on the new baby Bill !

• BeerGutBeerGut Member Posts: 24
    There is one thing i would like to see them add and thats co-op story missions. It's a bummer when im in a group with my friends and i have to leave group/chat to complete the mission (Im playing it on PS3) it just feels like an odd mechanic.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by bestever

The map in Defiance is far from small. Using the cars and atv's might make it seem small but its not. Start at the top of the map and run to San Francisco, then tell me its small. We're lucky they gave us cars and atv's or it would be a long long walk and you know it.

The content is fine, I havn't even finished the main story and have 22+ hours in and have done zero side quest. Just because you burnt through the content doesn't mean it has a lack of content. Its like most of you that post negative stuff about the game did this to make the game look bad when in fact its a great game that needs some work which it will get and only make the game better.

Its real simple if you don't like the game cool move on.

Oh and grats Bill

The direct comparison was made to PS2 map that is why it was brought up that Defiance map is much smaller in comparison.

Have you played Fallen Earth? it is an Indie MMO and released with 3 times the world size of Defiance. That games also had dune buggies and fast cars. And yet it never felt small. So nope one does not need to run on foot because these maps were made in accordance to vehicles. I thought AAA MMOS were suppossed to do better than indie MMOS.

He never said anythng about burning through the content. That is what you assumed here. And by the way since when bringing up legitimate issues like small world size and lack of content is trying to make game look bad? are you telling me only you have the right to say 'game is great' in every post but opposite is not allowed?

I thought this forum was for discussion about negative and positive of games as long as you keep things civil.

Please stop telling others what to do and what not to do on open forums.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Okay after reading some post about the games "map" issues I have to sincerely disagree. What killed GW2 for me was the massive map. I mean sit back and think about it for a second, once the leveling crowd goes, so does the events and grouping. Since we are currently land locked due to said episodes and what not to be released. We're constantly grouping, completely MMO type of events, and having fun feeling that were part of something big. The only time I see more than 2 other players(outside of pvp, and dungeons) in games like GW2 is in a main city. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to bash on GW2 I actually liked the game, but after I had to take a force break from it the leveling crowd was gone and it sucked trying to solo everything, and was completely boring. Trion to me, has always found some way to keep its community together and to keep that feeling alive. You know the one im talking about the "MMO" feeling. Just wish they made Rift's animations for spells more "flashy" lol. Anyways there's my 2 cents, take it how you will.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Grats Bill!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

well- i just finished the main story (not tv show mission) fighting the final encounter in SF - without going into spoilers.

I found it a little dissapointing on the devs behalph how they constructed the fight. maybe i was expecting the sharpness borderlands2 brought in their game with their bosses.

but in defiance i found it a little lazy and not very accurate for the player-it was like hey ur the player hes our boss he will be OP npthign u can do strategy wise he cant handle-oh and u have ego n he has ego but his is better!! <.<

as musch to say at that and not beign able to change weapons during so many opportunities presented in the fight...i started to think how gimped it really felt. less like an mmo and more like a arcade game fight from the 80's

that said- i love the game and i hope the boss fights to come get an improvement! and take tips from borderlands2 as this is a pure staple of the game.

n Bill  congrats on ur 'co-op player 'partner in training!

:)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Bill is going to always associate Defiance now with the birth of his son. His son is one of the Defiant Few.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I have only scratched the surface of the game , but I did buy it on the 360 and PC. I felt that if and when any of the versions end then I would miss it , hence the 2 versions. I have completed the episode missions on the 360 one as the dev's mentioned to get them done before this monday.   I might try get through the PC ones tonight. I really like the game and feel I could play it for many months to come. I agree with the not needing more than one character though , even though I obviously have two with the two versions. I might have to make a new character eventually on the 360 because of te region locking debacle , which should be fixed soonish.

Congratulations on the new little member of the MMORPG.com team :) More nights in and less nights out now for you , but that's great as you have lots of MMO's to play :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• splitcoldsplitcold Member Posts: 73
    Say what you will about the map being small, seems huge in my opinion. In MMOs how often do you return to the lv 1-10 area or 11-20 and so on? You dont in LOTRO, AOC, GW2, TERA... In defiance the whole map is playable forever, this is a big difference.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Funny thing. I read the early reviews and community comments. Despite the negativity, I bought it anyway. I thought I probably would not like it, but I cannot stop playing. It's fun despite itself - a bit hard to explain. I recommend it. Have patience with the UI and that some key mechanics are not well explained. Give it time and you may end up enjoying it as well.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

If think if you look at Defiances as a Third Person Shooter with always on CO-OP/PVP, I think most players will like the game.

While it may lack some "depth", it is one of the few games where the actual gameplay is fun and pretty exciting.  I wasn't enjoying it during the beta weekends, but I've logged quite a bit of time since release.

• DeadcyteDeadcyte Member Posts: 2

I am so tired of hearing "the game is so small"  It has been stated time and time again that this point  the game is like a pre-story, not the full story. The map is going to open up.

In the mean time do the many things the game has to offer. I'm EGO 1,190 and i still have side missions, arkfall,pvp,contracts and co-ops to keep me busy. 

I think people are just so used to WOW and it's clones. Stop being so impatient , the " Iwant it now" mentality is un-becomming.

As for the game and Trion .... well played. Enjoying the game alot and I pretty much live in shadow wars now. The game runs flawless for me, even with 80 people shooting every thing they have at a giant hellbug.!! I know people had problems, my brother was one of them.

Trion made good with a weeks worth of boosts and almost daily patch fixes to cure alot of problems people were having.

• sollithsollith Member Posts: 1
    I went throygh the groing pain of Beta then Alpha and now full game. I have done this with other games and this has had the least growing pains. Yes it is a vast undertaking to coordinat a MMORPG with a TV series. But any one who want it all at once wait a year as we work out the bugs for you. I am a littel parciel and think that PC is the better plat form for this MMO but I am glad consoles have been included. This is a evolving game look at games like Eve online and how much it has grown. The rep system reminds me of EVE.
  • troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Deadcyte

I am so tired of hearing "the game is so small"  It has been stated time and time again that this point  the game is like a pre-story, not the full story. The map is going to open up.

In the mean time do the many things the game has to offer. I'm EGO 1,190 and i still have side missions, arkfall,pvp,contracts and co-ops to keep me busy. 

I think people are just so used to WOW and it's clones. Stop being so impatient , the " Iwant it now" mentality is un-becomming.

As for the game and Trion .... well played. Enjoying the game alot and I pretty much live in shadow wars now. The game runs flawless for me, even with 80 people shooting every thing they have at a giant hellbug.!! I know people had problems, my brother was one of them.

Trion made good with a weeks worth of boosts and almost daily patch fixes to cure alot of problems people were having.

It being a small game is a valid complaint.  Your initial offerings in any MMO have to be quite sizeable.  The promise of content after TV episodes start coming up sounds great but you have to pay extra for that content.

Worst yet the original promise was that the game world and the TV world would interact.  But the script for the TV series is all done and the series goes live regardless of what happens in the game world.  Actually only the TV world effects the game world.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Deadcyte

Uh what? since when expecting for larger world size and more content on release is considered 'want it now' mentality? you people love to throw term 'wow clone' just randomly even when it makes zero sense.

I thought 'want it now' mentality had to do with wanting the game to be easier and hope that dev hand everything to you in game without even playing or making an effort.

It is funny how you twist the meaning and make it all about world size and lack of content.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Bill, what are your thoughts on the fundemental part of the game? The action! What about the controls, which most people seem to think is the worst part of the game?
  • YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

First off GRATS on the little one. Your life will never be the same and IMO for the better!! Your gaming days & hours are now a premium. But wait unitl your little one climbs into your lap to "play" with you. Its a geeks best day in their life!

The game so far has been ok. Im still waiting to see how the t.v & game interact with each other. Ill keep playing and time will tell.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sorry i was not paying attention.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new born !.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Congrats on the Bebe, oh and nice write up.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg

Honestly I'm glad you are doing progress reviews.  Unlike the reviewers at EGM.http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-defiance/

How can you review a mmo it's first week? How can you review a mmo tied to a tv that didn't air yet? 

Well IGN and Gamespot gave it a similar score, it's no conspiracy. I actually liked the game from what little I played. But both sites stated it is just too repetative after playing for countless hours (what mmo isnt hehe). but also a lack of features like crafting and auction house, bugged some reviewers as the social aspect is non existent other than public quest.