Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok why is everyone running like crazy?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I mean, seriously. Is the frigging world going to end, and I dont know? I am so tired and worn out of this. EVERY single dungeon with EVERY single group I was in was running through the DAMN dungeons!

Not looking left, not looking right.

I played Rogue, but *everyone* just walzed over the traps, don't care, not looking for secrets nothing.

I am so TIRED of that. And I feel like a fossil or a creep when I just want to stay a minute or two somewhere and look. Or sneak careful through the dungeon. Or just CHAT with your group.

Good riddance. :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I started laughing as soon as I read your first sentence.   I find this in almost every dungeon regardless of the game really.  I dont  know if people are different today or what the problem is, but the group enters the dungeon and it is a speed run through it.   If you hesitate for a moment the group leaves you and wants to know what you are doing.   I sympathise with you because I prefer playing more like you and take my time, look for traps, explore.    Unfortunately we are in the minority.

Also, I havent even played this game yet but I was wondering if this same phenomon would occur and apparently it has.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

It is not surprising; Neverwinter, like most modern MMORPGs, is not designed to be social. Oh, the social systems are there - you can chat and all that, but there is no reason to use them so players do not. This is not inherently good or bad, it is just a design philosophy whose goal is to lower the barrier of entry to solo players. You queue for a dungeon, get put in a group, and a trail and objectives tell you where to go and what to do, so there is no reason to ever chat. You just race to the end, get the loot, and move on.

I do not like it, but others probably do. Oh well.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I blame the stick with the carrot on it. Or do I blame the person who put the carrot on the end of the stick? regardless the carrots and sticks need to go.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by flizzer

I started laughing as soon as I read your first sentence.   I find this in almost every dungeon regardless of the game really.  I dont  know if people are different today or what the problem is, but the group enters the dungeon and it is a speed run through it.   If you hesitate for a moment the group leaves you and wants to know what you are doing.   I sympathise with you because I prefer playing more like you and take my time, look for traps, explore.    Unfortunately we are in the minority.

Also, I havent even played this game yet but I was wondering if this same phenomon would occur and apparently it has.

You know in old MMOs, where people played for a year or more, when you have seen the dungeon like 20+ times, I can understand you don't need to admire every rock and stone. But even THEN you don't need to hasten like some rabbit on crack!

And yes people always tended to be too fast, but this here with Neverwinter is crazy. Especially since Dungeons are the speciality of a D&D game, not just a figleaf addition like in some other MMos.

You know, when the group just walzed over the traps, I WISHED the traps were as deadly as in the old days and KILL. Just to make people cautious and slow. At least in group dungeons.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by LIOKI
    I blame the stick with the carrot on it. Or do I blame the person who put the carrot on the end of the stick? regardless the carrots and sticks need to go.

doesn't work people just bitch they have nothing to look forward to...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Torvaldr

People are probably just trying to see as much as they can in the short time available.  It's closed so there will be a wipe before soft-launch.  Why shouldn't they run a little carelessly, exploring and taking it all in.

Is it that big of a deal?

i agree wait till open beta when people have all the time in the world.. should allow people to slow down a bit

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

People are probably just trying to see as much as they can in the short time available.  It's closed so there will be a wipe before soft-launch.  Why shouldn't they run a little carelessly, exploring and taking it all in.

Is it that big of a deal?

Well yes and no. I could tolerate that, even if it isn't my cup. I rather quit with some early/mid level so I DONT see everything before launch, and I dont spoilt it for me. Each to his, but the point is: This RUNNING exists more and more in ALL MMOs. I mean, I don't think people will be slower when the game launches. Maybe I am wrong, but still I wonder about this trend.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Elikal

You know in old MMOs, where people played for a year or more, when you have seen the dungeon like 20+ times, I can understand you don't need to admire every rock and stone. But even THEN you don't need to hasten like some rabbit on crack!

And yes people always tended to be too fast, but this here with Neverwinter is crazy. Especially since Dungeons are the speciality of a D&D game, not just a figleaf addition like in some other MMos.

You know, when the group just walzed over the traps, I WISHED the traps were as deadly as in the old days and KILL. Just to make people cautious and slow. At least in group dungeons.

perhaps you're onto something here....

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    you think thats bad? I played a healer in DCUO

you can stack traps in the foundry to pretty much insta kill someone heh.. you can actually place them in places you cannot see them at all if you really want to make people angry :P

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The problem is twofold:

1) The dungeons are really really long. So if you dawdle it can take a large chunk of time and generally not be worth the experience (which is why most people are doing the dungeons while levelling).

2) The traps in low level dungeons are just nuisances, not real hazards, this changes later on.

Most low level dungeons are like this in most games, it isnt until you get higher up and theres an actual challenge that people will slow down. If it really bothers you, take your own group in there that doesnt rush? The dungeon finder is a tool, not the only solution. Theres a lot of hidden things to enjoy in the dungeons, and they get more and more complex as you level up.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I agree with the OP. In WoW it's all "Go go go go!" and in SWTOR it's "OMG, hit the spacebar!!"...nobody can just slow down for a few seconds and enjoy themselves. They just want to get it over with as fast as possiblee

If it's so bad you can't stand to be in the dungeon for a few more minutes, why even play? It's sad indeed.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you can stack traps in the foundry to pretty much insta kill someone heh.. you can actually place them in places you cannot see them at all if you really want to make people angry :P

Also traps scale to level. Low level traps are far less deadly than high level ones. Running through traps during an ambush in later dungeons will result in a nasty death.

Granted thanks to voice chat you rarely need to disarm, just tell people where to walk as a rogue. But I guess they wanted them to be avoidable instead if you didnt have a rogue.

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I agree with the OP. In WoW it's all "Go go go go!" and in SWTOR it's "OMG, hit the spacebar!!"...nobody can just slow down for a few seconds and enjoy themselves. They just want to get it over with as fast as possiblee

If it's so bad you can't stand to be in the dungeon for a few more minutes, why even play? It's sad indeed.

To be fair, there are no variables at all that would change how the TOR dialogue plays out.

And I'm kinda sad to hear this a problem in this game as well.

I refuse to do instance in GW2 because of this skipping culture that runs rampant there.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

TL;DR - FF ok, NW not looking good,

In FF Beta this weekend and can't say anything obviously, but lemme tell ya, despite the hiccups (and I had a few) it' was a lot more fun than NW.

Lemme prefece this: I am a HUGE DnD fan.  I'm more 2ed then 1st or 3/4 which was probably DnD at it's height.

I SO wanted this to be the greatest game ever (overexpectation?) but it's barely a 3rd rate ship from Korea.

I know people are going to argue that (sorry if you already spent money... I know like all games on this site, you fight for the games) it's a 4thed interpretation (sp) but, just everything as a whole was hard to swallow.  I mean, playing a warrior a few BETA's ago, it was like I was slowly tring to chop trees down fighting.

I want to make a comparision to FF revamp, but I know I can't.  I'll just say, in their first alpha/beta FOR THE FIRST LAUNCH, I knew the damn thing would be horrid.  They've changed.  Not saying I'd go there or now that I'm such a spoiled brat , or that I'd pay a monthly anymore, but really, NW Needs to step up it's game.

Also, I'm one of those that doesn't think Campions or STO was as bad as people make them out to be... that's why I can't understand how IMHO this can be subpar to games people wanted to hate on so much.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

This is one of the reasons I'll not be playing Neverwinter with pugs.  I really enjoy the game, but our guild is going to be having "neverwinter nights", where we all get on and have fun playing NW together.  Instead of one of the other many MMO's we normally play.

This allows us to use the forge to create content for ourselves, go at what ever pace we want, and joke around with each other while having fun at a more leisurely pace.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Thats the problem with all of the games of today. Since there is really no fear of anything happening nobody takes caution and just blows throw everything.

Originally posted by Fluxii

In FF Beta this weekend and can't say anything obviously, but lemme tell ya, despite the hiccups (and I had a few) it' was a lot more fun than NW.

Lemme prefece this: I am a HUGE DnD fan.  I'm more 2ed then 1st or 3/4 which was probably DnD at it's height.

I SO wanted this to be the greatest game ever (overexpectation?) but it's barely a 3rd rate ship from Korea.

I know people are going to argue that (sorry if you already spent money... I know like all games on this site, you fight for the games) it's a 4thed interpretation (sp) but, just everything as a whole was hard to swallow.  I mean, playing a warrior a few BETA's ago, it was like I was slowly tring to chop trees down fighting.

I want to make a comparision to FF revamp, but I know I can't.  I'll just say, in their first alpha/beta FOR THE FIRST LAUNCH, I knew the damn thing would be horrid.  They've changed.  Not saying I'd go there or now that I'm such a spoiled brat I'd pay a monthly anymore, but really, NW Needs to step up it's game.

Also, I'm one of those that doesn't think Campions or STO was as bad as people make them out to be... that's why I can't understand how IMHO this can be subpar to games people wanted to hate on so much.

100% hands down complete opposite for me

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The mentality of players diminishes exploration.

In some part exploration does need to be pushed in part to be more rewarding though, or at least make it feels like your not 'losing out' on productivity in some way maybe with bonuses for doing stuff... which who knows really how to make it worth wild without making it feel forced.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I want to make a comparision to FF revamp, but I know I can't.  I'll just say, in their first alpha/beta FOR THE FIRST LAUNCH, I knew the damn thing would be horrid.  They've changed.  Not saying I'd go there or now that I'm such a spoiled brat I'd pay a monthly anymore, but really, NW Needs to step up it's game.

100% hands down complete opposite for me

Really? I know we can't talk, but... (it toook me hours before I could even play to reslove techincal issues) but I found myself (maybe it was nostalgia (sp) far more drawn in than in NW.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

I think people are just trying to see as much as they can before the beta event ends.  I have been taking my time because I hate having to go through the same quests over again which is why I am only level 7 at the moment.  oh well.

Really? I know we can't talk, but... (it toook me hours before I could even play to reslove techincal issues) but I found myself (maybe it was nostalgia (sp) far more drawn in than in NW.

check your PM

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    OP Welcome to the world of MMO Lobby games.  The Automated LFG tool was the wrose design in MMO history.  It cause more drama issues than it fix issues with people getting groups.  Sure it made getting groups faster, however it caused more social issues than it was worth.  Even being a casual player myself today, I remember what it took to get a group without an Automated LFG tool.  You made Friends and played with those friends even if you made more of a static group than an open group and limited your play time to when your friends played.  Problem is Everyone wants the group now deal and wonder why they get crappy pugs, games get watered down (I mean in terms of needing CC or traps removed not in size of groups) and the community becomes a trollfest.  I hope Mark Jacobs is right that many studios will close and MMOs shut down because with 3 dozen plus MMOs, MMOs are going to cater towards non MMO player markets to get more players into MMOs.  If we only had a half dozen to a dozen mmos at best like back in 2004 people would play the games that fit them.  Yes their would be more niche games however thats fine.  You want to PVP Play a DOAC or UO, want ThemePark play WoW or EQ2 not have 20 games all be the same.  
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Purutzil

The mentality of players diminishes exploration.

In some part exploration does need to be pushed in part to be more rewarding though, or at least make it feels like your not 'losing out' on productivity in some way maybe with bonuses for doing stuff... which who knows really how to make it worth wild without making it feel forced.

Why explore when games are the size of Rift, or SWTOR, or DDO.  There are very few games which are large anymore.  Yes WoW was large, SWG was Large, So was UO.  Today the games are so small that you can play 30 minutes and see the whole zone.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I mean, seriously. Is the frigging world going to end, and I dont know? I am so tired and worn out of this. EVERY single dungeon with EVERY single group I was in was running through the DAMN dungeons!

Not looking left, not looking right.

I played Rogue, but *everyone* just walzed over the traps, don't care, not looking for secrets nothing.

I am so TIRED of that. And I feel like a fossil or a creep when I just want to stay a minute or two somewhere and look. Or sneak careful through the dungeon. Or just CHAT with your group.

Good riddance. :(

While I too enjoy the more laid back approach while dungeon delving these things are more suited for guild runs, leave the dungeon queuers to their devices, it isnt going to hurt anyone.  Besides the last boss can't be attempted till the entire group is ready.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!