Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason Wildstar looks like WoW

ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

Is because the same artists and Devs who created WoW are making Wildstar.

When you look at the artstyle you see a lot of similarties in style and design.  You can see it is the same artists. The same goes for the stylized design and use of humor.

Back in 2005 the core devs who created WoW left Blizzard to form Carbine.  They wanted to make a game for more hardcore players where everyone does not win.  where skill and effort matter.  A game made particularily for hardcore raiders but also for  PvP players with content for all playstyles. A game that rewards those that play better.

The game may look a lot like WoW but it appears to play quite different.   There are many cool and new ideas plus many additions form post WoW games. 

My biggest fear with Wildstar is it may be a bit to ambitious.  Thye are imcluding a ton of content and systems at release and a tell us they will have a huge world 21 connected zones on Nexus plus many other zones off the planet.  So much so it makes me question if its realistic. The general rule of thumb in a MMO is a game cannot offer a wide scope of systems and content at release along with quality and polish. Either content or polish needs to be sacrificed or  game needs a narrow content release. Especially when a game like Wildsatr emphasizes it wants to focus on Endgame and start testing their endgame now 6+ months in advanace of release.  But then again when the game is done it will be close to 7 years of development.  If you look at the videos from 2011 you can see a lot of the content they are showing is the same content they showed then,  just more refined and polished.  They have been internally alpha testing the game now for a couple of years. So maybe it is possible to do everything they say and release a polished quality game. Forgive me if I am bit doubtfull but at the same time excited.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't care if it looks like wow. I didn't love wow's look but I didn't hate it. I care about how it plays. It's going to be similar to wow because all MMOs are on some lvl. From what I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be it's own game dispite taking some things from older mmos.

I want to play it before I judge it just another wow clone or not. People calling it that now don't know enough to be anything more that the typical forum hater.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I like WoW's look, even if I dont play anymore, so that doesnt bother me.  The art style fits the theme and the tone of the game, thats all that matters.

As for how i'll like it, cautiosly optimistic/hopeful, but I have to wait and see how much it speaks to me.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103
    I'd like it a lot more if it actually looked like WoW. Looks more like Torchlight to me, all smudged up and silly.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

the dynamic combat looks fun, ill definitely give the game a try once we can.

i like me some fun combat.  esp when theres fun pvp.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Zapzap

Is because the same artists and Devs who created WoW are making Wildstar.

When you look at the artstyle you see a lot of similarties in style and design.  You can see it is the same artists. The same goes for the stylized design and use of humor.

Back in 2005 the core devs who created WoW left Blizzard to form Carbine.  They wanted to make a game for more hardcore players where everyone does not win.  where skill and effort matter.  A game made particularily for hardcore raiders but also for  PvP players with content for all playstyles. A game that rewards those that play better.

The game may look a lot like WoW but it appears to play quite different.   There are many cool and new ideas plus many additions form post WoW games. 

My biggest fear with Wildstar is it may be a bit to ambitious.  Thye are imcluding a ton of content and systems at release and a tell us they will have a huge world 21 connected zones on Nexus plus many other zones off the planet.  So much so it makes me question if its realistic. The general rule of thumb in a MMO is a game cannot offer a wide scope of systems and content at release along with quality and polish. Either content or polish needs to be sacrificed or  game needs a narrow content release. Especially when a game like Wildsatr emphasizes it wants to focus on Endgame and start testing their endgame now 6+ months in advanace of release.  But then again when the game is done it will be close to 7 years of development.  If you look at the videos from 2011 you can see a lot of the content they are showing is the same content they showed then,  just more refined and polished.  They have been internally alpha testing the game now for a couple of years. So maybe it is possible to do everything they say and release a polished quality game. Forgive me if I am bit doubtfull but at the same time excited.

yes, 2005 allllllllllllll devs at blizzard left to form like 20k new dev teams.

seriously......

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    OP is just reaching now to explain the un canny resemblance between WOW and WIldstar. However, why WIldstar looks like WOW has more to do with business and profit rather than all devs working on Wildstar are an ex Blizzard employees.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I totally know the graphics/art style don't make a game but I can't help but feel put off by it. I'm generally not a fan of most games with the over stylized look. Didn't like WoW, SWTOR and sadly, not digging the look of WildStar.

That being said, I love the theme and setting of the game and wish the game all the best.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

LOL what the heck is a hardcore Raider besides a young kids stereotype of what makes good gaming?

A Raid dungeon os the content that takes the LEAST amount of effort,so i would not give any props to anyone going for the least amount of effort.

I also happen to knwo the main artists are still with Blizzard,maybe some left but not the main guys.The main guys are the reason Pandarian was made.

IMO Wildstar has a different look feel,it is much more humorous and has more depth than Wow in what seems to be a shorter devlopm,ent time and with far less money.So that does not give Blizzard much credit for doing half the job.What Blizzard did was go bigger but with less quality.Even so Wildstar seems to have so much going for it that it looks to keep players happy for a good amount of time.

When i looged into Wow it was a very automated feel,all i did was immediately walk over to the first yellow marker over a npc's head and start on linear questing.Then when i actually had to do combat ,i could literally do it with my eyes closed and i am very serious.That is as a noob,no way could i pul lthat off in other games as a noob.

Wildstar is creating an interactive combat design,that is soemthing i cannot say enough about,it really makes me happy.

In comparison ,since that is what the OP is doing,Wow  could never keep my interest past a day,then i would have to put it aside for a week or so.I am looking forward to having some fun in Wildstar in a big way.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Won't be touching Wildstar with a 10 meter pole due to their dated graphics. I can see my nephew playing Wildstar, but that's also why he has a Wii and I have a XBox360. I mean, he's 13 years old.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I'll probably also let this one pass. I'll be playing TESO instead (until Titan is released).

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't care that it looks like WoW, what bothers me is the handholding with telegraphing and the same old quest/raid grind you see in every themepark since WoW.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I found it looks fun.=D

and as I need game for fun, why not WS=P

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Won't be touching Wildstar with a 10 meter pole due to their dated graphics. I can see my nephew playing Wildstar, but that's also why he has a Wii and I have a XBox360. I mean, he's 13 years old.

Sad point of view. Graphics dont make a great game and this is the next great game. What they are adding to this game will blow your mind if they pull it off. This is the dark horse of 2013. Been saying that for a while now. I say judge it by playing it. Whats 60 bucks for at least 1 month of fun.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

This game looks as nothing like wow. To me it looks like a Craig McCracken cartoon. Over the top, funny, great character design.

WoW still looks like a 5 year olds drawing of the gritty and dark Warhammer original it ripped of. Plus rainbow ponies and fairy Pandas. Not even in the same Ballpark.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't care if it looks like wow. I didn't love wow's look but I didn't hate it. I care about how it plays. It's going to be similar to wow because all MMOs are on some lvl. From what I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be it's own game dispite taking some things from older mmos.

I want to play it before I judge it just another wow clone or not. People calling it that now don't know enough to be anything more that the typical forum hater.

To me it looks like a carbon copy of wow honestly, same combat system, same style of graphics. I just hope its not another mmo where you hit the lv cap in 2-3 days solo, I hope they make it a very group oriented mmo... though this is wishful thinking. I'd like it to be made where you can solo but its like much slower than solo, and have it so many of the activities(almost all) require a full party to be able to do it. I am personally tired of these singleplayer mmorpg's, There is no mmo aspect when you can solo thru most of the game.

On a bigger note: I hope they make raid gear actually worth getting, as in they put in non-raid activities that are rewarding and are diffcult enough where you need the raid gear to do them as well as a large party/raid (rift is an example). I also hope it has something like an Alternate advacement system ala EQ2, or the merit system from ff11, so there is a reason to log the char in other than raid day.

All I can say is if the game is too much like wow, it might end up like swtor, dead by the 3rd month

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    To me it looks more like Ratchet And clank artstyle and humor.  which is totally awesome!

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

Originally posted by Tayah
    I don't care that it looks like WoW, what bothers me is the handholding with telegraphing and the same old quest/raid grind you see in every themepark since WoW.

All I can say is welcome to mmo's after wow. They do it because causals tend to be morons (as in bad at the game usually to the point they need their hand held thru everything) and it makes them able to actually play the mmo, its in single player games alot too now, handholding and stuff. Tombraider for pc (the newer one) is an example, "everywhere" you can climb always magically has some white paint on it (were talking some lost island here with tribals and such), where as if you look at the older ps1 titles, they never had this or any guides, it just shows how bad/stupid the average gamer has gotten in todays gaming world. You wanna see something halarious? watch someone from wow, try to play ff11, they get no where because the game does not hold your hand and have an arrow pointing to where you need to go, so they whine in chat all day for help, when if they spent 60 seconds they could look up a wiki or something. They are just too used to having something holding their hand on screen, to be honest I find them sickening, because they are causing games to get dumbed down to the point that the game might as well just start playing itself.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

what a shallow gamer...

and 13 isnt even that young thats like a freshman in high school...i was playing games like doom and age of empires way before that age.  I would have been bored of Wii by the time i was 13.  And my little brothers 7 and 9 play PC and PS3 games.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Siveria

All I can say is welcome to mmo's after wow. They do it because causals tend to be morons and it makes them able to actually play the mmo, its in single player games alot too now, handholding and stuff. Tombraider for pc (the newer one) is an example, "everywhere" you can climb always magically has some white paint on it (were talking some lost island here with tribals and such), where as if you look at the older ps1 titles, they never had this or any guides, it just shows how bad/stupid the average gamer has gotten in todays gaming world. You wanna see something halarious? watch someone from wow, try to play ff11, they get no where because the game does not hold your hand and have an arrow pointing to where you need to go, so they whine in chat all day for help, when if they spent 60 seconds they could look up a wiki or something. They are just too used to having something holding their hand on screen, to be honest I find them sickening, because they are causing games to get dumbed down to the point that the game might as well just start playing itself.

Casuals are morons huh? I know some casual gamers who are teachers and engineers.

Focusing only on endgame is honestly what is destroying mmo's, they focus too much on the end and not enough on the journey to get there. The problem is they don't put enough stuff in it do at endgame, so players end up just logging out between raids due to nothing to do (which if it gets to that point why are they so stupid to keep paying a sub to login once a week? may as well quit), I'd like to see a mmo offer stuff to do at endgame that does not fully revolve around raid instances only, maybe even have some stuff you can do after raids that needs the gear from them. I also pray to the goddess they don't make special pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for the best gear, to use it in pve or pvp, and have it be the same gearset for both modes.

The game does sound very ambitious, but if its like most mmo's these days, it will probally fail to deliver. Look at swtor as a prime example. It would be really nice though fi they actually do deliver on what they promise but I have honestly never seen it done.

or

Originally posted by tkreep

All I can say is welcome to mmo's after wow. They do it because causals tend to be morons and it makes them able to actually play the mmo, its in single player games alot too now, handholding and stuff. Tombraider for pc (the newer one) is an example, "everywhere" you can climb always magically has some white paint on it (were talking some lost island here with tribals and such), where as if you look at the older ps1 titles, they never had this or any guides, it just shows how bad/stupid the average gamer has gotten in todays gaming world. You wanna see something halarious? watch someone from wow, try to play ff11, they get no where because the game does not hold your hand and have an arrow pointing to where you need to go, so they whine in chat all day for help, when if they spent 60 seconds they could look up a wiki or something. They are just too used to having something holding their hand on screen, to be honest I find them sickening, because they are causing games to get dumbed down to the point that the game might as well just start playing itself.

Casuals are morons huh? I know some casual gamers who are teachers and engineers.

I meant in terms of skill at playing these games, maybe I should have been more specific.

or

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Probably went with this style so that they wouldn't have to deal with people with older computers not being able to play it.  But it's going to hurt them some, a lot of people don't like the cartoony look and so far the largest amount of negative comments I've seen directed towards the game, EASILY, has to do with the graphics and their similarity to wow.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I agree about the raiding and the quests - but not the combat.  Maybe if I just saw it in a video I may think that, but having played The Secret World with the same type of combat and telegraphing, it makes battles WAY more fun.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by tkreep

Are teachers and engineers meant to be particularly intelligent?

Maybe someone should teach you to engineer better arguments.

Hi

• DyraeleDyraele Member UncommonPosts: 200

All I can say is welcome to mmo's after wow. They do it because causals tend to be morons (as in bad at the game usually to the point they need their hand held thru everything) and it makes them able to actually play the mmo, its in single player games alot too now, handholding and stuff. Tombraider for pc (the newer one) is an example, "everywhere" you can climb always magically has some white paint on it (were talking some lost island here with tribals and such), where as if you look at the older ps1 titles, they never had this or any guides, it just shows how bad/stupid the average gamer has gotten in todays gaming world. You wanna see something halarious? watch someone from wow, try to play ff11, they get no where because the game does not hold your hand and have an arrow pointing to where you need to go, so they whine in chat all day for help, when if they spent 60 seconds they could look up a wiki or something. They are just too used to having something holding their hand on screen, to be honest I find them sickening, because they are causing games to get dumbed down to the point that the game might as well just start playing itself.

I just had to laugh reading this. Poster talks about casuals being morons yet says they can just look stuff up on wiki. If you have to look stuff on wiki that doesn't say much about the player either, in my opinion. That is as much hand holding as anything else. Play the game, figure it out.

Not sure where casuals = morons either. Just because yoy play less or with less agressiveness (whatever you definition of the day is) doesn't mean you play like an idiot. There are plenty of casuals that know how to play, not everyone fits into the same box.

AKA - Bruxail