Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: (For you non backers) The Depths

13»

Comments

• ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member
    Originally posted by Aeodo
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I wouldn't give them any money no matter what they  do,aside from actually finishing and releasing a product ofr me to see.

You know that old saying,TALK IS CHEAP?Well it is true,if this game wants my money,they need to show me a finished product,nothing less will do.

The only realistic viable option would be to offer shares,but i have very little confidence in this title,so even then i would not purchase any shares.

So wait December 2015, what else can we say?

He's simply answering the question, there is nothing to say.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member
    I might have backed  a project back in 2004 off of a developers word alone. Back when a developers word actually meant something more then what comes out my ass. But anymore. No chance in hell I will until I get my hands on the game in a preview/beta/alpha. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• TaldierTaldier Camp Hill, PAPosts: 235Member Common
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    I might have backed  a project back in 2004 off of a developers word alone. Back when a developers word actually meant something more then what comes out my ass. But anymore. No chance in hell I will until I get my hands on the game in a preview/beta/alpha. 

This is a really negative attitude.  I cant really fault you for it much after all the crap the game industry has pulled, but if we all act this way the industry is screwed.

Sure it sucks to trust someone or something and have that trust taken advantage of.  But if you then never trust anything ever again, everything just keeps looking worse.  And we'll all just keep getting the same boring cloned crap over and over because nobody is passionate enough to take any risks.

Could I be wasting my money if CSE doesnt make a good game?  Sure.  Could I suddenly die in a fiery car crash tomorrow?  Sure.

Its worth it to me to support this kickstarter because if I hadnt pledged, I'd be spending the next 10 years thinking to myself "what if I could have actually had a really fun game to play if I'd only taken that step?".

• TheJodaTheJoda chicago, ILPosts: 467Member
    .....honestly this game just needs to go away for now.  With all the threads and posts its clear that the "majority" of us want to SEE something if we are going to "pay" to back it.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• TheJodaTheJoda chicago, ILPosts: 467Member
    Originally posted by Taldier
    Originally posted by Vunak23

This is a really negative attitude.  I cant really fault you for it much after all the crap the game industry has pulled, but if we all act this way the industry is screwed.

Sure it sucks to trust someone or something and have that trust taken advantage of.  But if you then never trust anything ever again, everything just keeps looking worse.  And we'll all just keep getting the same boring cloned crap over and over because nobody is passionate enough to take any risks.

Could I be wasting my money if CSE doesnt make a good game?  Sure.  Could I suddenly die in a fiery car crash tomorrow?  Sure.

Its worth it to me to support this kickstarter because if I hadnt pledged, I'd be spending the next 10 years thinking to myself "what if I could have actually had a really fun game to play if I'd only taken that step?".

......You make vaild points for sure, and I can see where you are trying to come from.

But this poster might be jaded like I am from a recient purchase that went to hell, in my opinion.  I am speaking to when I backed the New DFUW......games launch time table was a flat Lie.  The game is NOT even being close to done now as it is getting ready for its LATE launch, and still lacks all major content that was promised by that game developer AV............So I can see how one might NOT trust game developers.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,787Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by binskki
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    I need to see alpha access at $30 before I give them my money.

If it's helpful, Mark Jacobs has said repeatedly that people who pledge at other tiers but show on the forums that they are active and interested in giving feedback are likely to be invited as testers.

key word in yellow.

• usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member
    Originally posted by Binafus
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by SimplyAg3
    I need to see more...a lot more.

What kinds of things would help convince you? 

A project plan with timelines.

Something more than a bulleted list of features found in one MMO or another. The Google doc is nothing more than that. I would have been more impressed if it was titled, "Game features you will find in MMOs. Part 1: Overview".

A FAQ that provides more than definitions for the above mentioned features.

Those are my top three. I can keep going, if you like. I have an entire wall of text outlining concerns about this project (I refuse to call it a game at this point).

Topographic I will  help you out this game is not for you.

Mark has said more than once this game is not for everyone it is for a niche that you are not part of.

Will save you time you have posted your hype 1 :)  you have made many many posts that make it very clear to anyone that reads them this game is not for you.

Will save you the time nothing is going to change in the next two weeks that will make you want to jump behind this project so you can move on to something else.

On the other hand if your just here to give people a hard time continue on good Sir, post your wall of text and put this game in its place.

This game design is exactly what I'm looking for in an MMO. My problem is strictly with the execution, or more accurately the lack of it. I want Mark Jacobs to step up to the plate and show me something to throw my hard-earned money behind, which he is clearly NOT doing. I would expect more from someone who claims to be a seasoned game designer, and I stress the word 'claims'.

So take your own advice. If you don't like what I have to say, why not move along and resist the urge to rant at someone who disagrees with your fanboyism. The phrase, "this game is not for you" is the new "derp".  N'est-ce pas?

• BenediktBenedikt PraguePosts: 1,406Member Uncommon

This game design is exactly what I'm looking for in an MMO. My problem is strictly with the execution, or more accurately the lack of it. I want Mark Jacobs to step up to the plate and show me something to throw my hard-earned money behind, which he is clearly NOT doing. I would expect more from someone who claims to be a seasoned game designer, and I stress the word 'claims'.

So take your own advice. If you don't like what I have to say, why not move along and resist the urge to rant at someone who disagrees with your fanboyism. The phrase, "this game is not for you" is the new "derp".  N'est-ce pas?

its quite ironic - you are not willing to spend few bucks on the game that may or may not get released, but you want MJ to spend tens and possible hundreds of thousand on a game for which there may or may not be enough interest

Originally posted by Benedikt

its quite ironic - you are not willing to spend few bucks on the game that may or may not get released, but you want MJ to spend tens and possible hundreds of thousand on a game for which there may or may not be enough interest

He's the business owner. That's his problem, not mine. He can do market research to determine interest. I'm not interested in buying promises. 

• BenediktBenedikt PraguePosts: 1,406Member Uncommon

He's the business owner. That's his problem, not mine. He can do market research to determine interest. I'm not interested in buying promises. 

true, but then dont come crying that only games on the market are wow clone themeparks

true, but then dont come crying that only games on the market are wow clone themeparks

I'm pretty sure I'm not crying, but thanks for your concern.

• TaldierTaldier Camp Hill, PAPosts: 235Member Common

Of course!  If he needs funding he can just go to one of those big publishers right?  Like EA?  Oh yeah, that sounds great!

I mean, when I think about who I want to have the most say during the development of a new game.. why would I think "players"?  No, of course thats absurd.  What the industry really needs is more big corporate interests being heavily involved during development.

....riiiiiiight.

• BinafusBinafus Eastland, TXPosts: 220Member Common

Enjoyment is complaining about a game you are not going to contribute too,

If you're not having fun - I don't care what you're doing - don't do it. Move on. Find something else, life's too short.

• Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon
    Not so fair of me to vote, that I need to see more...SInce my "more" is a launched game...
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,498Member Uncommon

I'm pretty sure I'm not crying, but thanks for your concern.

Maybe when you understand what Kickstarter is for, you'll understand why CU will succeed where so many others have not.

• naezgulnaezgul Homer Glen, ILPosts: 374Member
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Not so fair of me to vote, that I need to see more...SInce my "more" is a launched game...

Then you may not see it, as your $'s may be needed.....

• GyrusGyrus Lost City of ZPosts: 2,329Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Binafus

Topographic I will  help you out this game is not for you.

Mark has said more than once this game is not for everyone it is for a niche that you are not part of.

"... this game is not for you."

I LOLed when I saw that.  The game hasn't even got to Alpha and "we" are already chasing potential customers away!?

To help out... here are some other useful phrases to chuck at the "haters", "trolls" and "n00bs"

"STFU and go back to WoW"

"The Devs know best." aka "teh devs no best" 

"L2P" (Learn to Play)

and any variation on the "I've been here longer than you" theme.  You know like "I played from alpha...", "....come back when you have played for x million years.."

I am sure there are more.

These phrases have been used successfully to promote many games.

In "Pirates of the Burning Sea" for example these phrases helped to promote a strong sense of community... by getting everyone from 8 servers down to 2...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• BinafusBinafus Eastland, TXPosts: 220Member Common

@Gyrus this game is not for everyone, let me explain:)

Most games start out with mass number of servers and players, then a very few months latter many of these people have blown through the content they are off to the next game. Then the servers feel empty and it is like the game is dying while you watch it. Then the server mergers start and we all know what that means the game has failed so now more people move on.

Most games try to add everything they can to be appealing for the biggest audience. So they have a better chance at getting more players. It seems to say if we can get enough people to buy the game and a couple bank slots and inventory slots we got our money back anything past that is icing on the cake.

This is good it makes for huge budgets to create games, players get to see new games out all the time that have lots of features day one, but they seem to lack the longevity I would like in a game.

If company A spent 100 million on a online game and Company B spends 10 million, Company B can have a successful game, a good return on investment with 1/10th the customers. If those 1/10th are willing to pay a monthly fee and stick with a game to make a real community this could be good for them and the game company.

MJ has said more than once he is shooting a smaller customer base, that is willing to pay a monthly fee, to have a great RvR game. You will not see the 20 servers at the start of this game because everyone playing will have to pay a monthly fee. I think if the game is good you will not see empty servers three months into the game either CU should have a much higher retention of players. The 2 month and done crowd, the people that can not pay a monthly fee, the people that will consider the cost of the game and a few bank slots worth 2 months worth of fun but never stay with any game will never be in CU. Part of having a good game is knowing your enemies along with your allies, playing beside the same people night after night. It is not about the Christmas, Easter, New Years, Valentines day events that happen to have items in the cash shop for the low price of 1.99 to buy.

Will this work, I'm not really sure but this is why I'm so fired up and supporting the CU kickstarter.

So yea this game is and will not be for everyone.

• revslaverevslave ..., NYPosts: 154Member Uncommon

Hello

I have been and will continue to be a very big kickstarter fan, however I tend not to throw money at projects that look as if they will not be able to successfully complete.  If anything this video has made me less likely to back CU.  I have no idea what the stretch goal would be but the system that Jacobs is talking about seems borderline fantastical. Did I miss something or has he started to channel Garriott? 

The idea of an RvR game based on crafting economics sounds wonderful but I am afraid that they may be biting off more than they can chew.

Welcome Home

Rev.

13»