Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Defiance: Review In Progress #2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

You have to admire a guy whose wife gives birth to their first child and yet -still- finds time to play Trion's Defiance. We offer up our second Review in Progress article on our way to the final review. See what we've got to say before heading into the comments to chat.

Firstly, let’s start with the fact that one of my first complaints about the balance of large scale PVE fights has been remedied.  In fact, it was done just a couple of days after my initial Review in Progress.  They’ve adjusted the scaling of all mobs across the board so that they have a maximum health.  Big Hellbugs in major arkfalls will still have a high constitution but much less than previously, making the events less of a slog to get through.  And other lesser mobs in small areas don’t scale as much when there are a lot of players around.  So mutants won’t suddenly become impervious near Tranquility Gate in Mount Tam, just because there are a lot of newbies standing idle.  It’s worked well so far, but there’s a part of me that still wants to see the number of mobs increased as well. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Defiance: Review In Progress #2.

Arkfalls are fun and useful for rewards, finally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Is this one worth getting?!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

Honestly I'm glad you are doing progress reviews.  Unlike the reviewers at EGM.http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-defiance/

How can you review a mmo it's first week? How can you review a mmo tied to a tv that didn't air yet? 

You have no clue how the new content will be handled until the show airs.

They stated theres a giant patch for April 15th and showed the patch notes.

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by titanofdoom

If you like Guild wars 2's pay model, Plantside 2's giant map, Borderlands gun play style. Then I would say yes. There is plenty of progression with fixes and updates everyday. There is a big patch coming out to fix ALOT.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

I am finding it a lot of fun.  First impressions were bad, (I think this is why some of the instant reviews have given it such a low rating), but after a few hours playtime it really starts to get good.  

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Good review, couldn't agree more with everything said.  I haven't had problems with the chat or voip, since I don't use them, and probably never will.  We just use our Rift vent, there's like 30 of us on at all times, so plenty of people to talk to and group up with.  One of the things that I absolutely love is how slow the progression is.  Like said, you don't really even notice it, and if it wasn't for the ego rank, you probably wouldn't even notice it at all.  This game relies on you getting better as you play, not your character, which is cool.  Although as you progress you can upgrade your weapons, but again it's not like someone with a fully modded weapon is going to be super OP against someone with a plain gun they plucked off the ground.  Best Mod I found only gave me like -15%ish bloom on my machine gun.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg

If you like Guild wars 2's pay model, Plantside 2's giant map, Borderlands gun play style. Then I would say yes. There is plenty of progression with fixes and updates everyday. There is a big patch coming out to fix ALOT.

The map in Defiance is no where comparable to PS2 in size. In my opinion in last 5 years or so Defiance is the MMO to release with smallest map and least amount of content. And that is what is hurting its ratings.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

The map in Defiance is no where comparable to PS2 in size. In my opinion in last 5 years or so Defiance is the MMO to release with smallest map and least amount of content. And that is what is hurting its ratings.

Yeah, but people don't understand how it's going to work.  As the TV show progresses, Trion will be adding land mass to the game.  Instead of an expansion every year, you'll get a DLC expansion like every 2 weeks or monthly, if I understand correctly.  The land mass now actually isn't that small.  It's small when compared to MMO standards, but if you compare it it to FPS standards, it's like 10 times than any fps, probably more.  I don't really consider Defiance an MMO, it has some aspects like the progression, and you do take on the role of an ark hunter, but it's more shooter to me.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Yeah, but people don't understand how it's going to work.  As the TV show progresses, Trion will be adding land mass to the game.  Instead of an expansion every year, you'll get a DLC expansion like every 2 weeks or monthly, if I understand correctly.  The land mass now actually isn't that small.  It's small when compared to MMO standards, but if you compare it it to FPS standards, it's like 10 times than any fps, probably more.  I don't really consider Defiance an MMO, it has some aspects like the progression, and you do take on the role of an ark hunter, but it's more shooter to me.

Ya that is it in a nutshell. Good review.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Congrats Bill!!!

Defiance .... well its almost not worth to write anything yet with so many changes looming. Thanks for the write up anyhow. Maybe the title should be Defiance Progress week by week :-) instead of a
    review for the time being.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Need to add a stamina bar to stop pvp bunny-hoppers, then pvp will be a lot more fun.
  • MhakMhak Member Posts: 3

Now if only Trion didn't throw out unwarranted bans to people who don't deserve them - especially after many of those people themselves got cheated out of items/currency because of bugs - this game might go places.

I and I know a few others got slapped with 24 hour bans for claims we were using third party software when we never did such a thing. Usually when that happens to completely innocent people on a large scale, things only go downhill from there.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

it's a game to spent some hours without push yourself to invest time etc.btw the story sucks.

Only the gameplay is worth it.

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Cheers for the responses!  I think I'll pick it up!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • ArkangylGArkangylG Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Good review in progress and congrats on the new edition! Better start saving for another gaming rig now between the expense of diapers and wipes (and everything else heh)!
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I'm waiting for some interesting gameplay footage, can't find any.
  • prestodotexeprestodotexe Member Posts: 35
    It is nice Trion is giving us something to do in our petty lives instead of waiting until the end of the year for the walking dead. This game has been fun to play and immerse myself in. I am just loving this xbox controller on PC in PvE, then when its time for PvP you smack down on some mouse keyboard action!!

haha presto!

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Pretty much agree with the review in process for the most part. Congrats on the baby, Bill. I had one myself recently. Your life is about to change in the most horrible and awesome way :P.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

yeah compared to Planetside 2 this map is tiny, but its still a big map in general. Also, when you open the map you see more lands that are grayed out, i really hope they expand soon. THe bigger the maps the better.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Every MMO releases more content, maps etc after release. But that is not the point because MMOS are reviewed on basis of their current state and now what it could be in future.

• FugglierFugglier Member Posts: 25
    Meh...............I did closed beta for quite some time, right up to launch. Something just feels off about the game. Not sure if clunky accurately describes it but thats the best I have right now. Waiting a while before buying the game to see what they do with it.

"..........Lulz......try to IP ban me if you want, hasn't worked yet. I am still here. I have always been here.........."

Originally posted by bestever

The map in Defiance is far from small. Using the cars and atv's might make it seem small but its not. Start at the top of the map and run to San Francisco, then tell me its small. We're lucky they gave us cars and atv's or it would be a long long walk and you know it.

The content is fine, I havn't even finished the main story and have 22+ hours in and have done zero side quest. Just because you burnt through the content doesn't mean it has a lack of content. Its like most of you that post negative stuff about the game did this to make the game look bad when in fact its a great game that needs some work which it will get and only make the game better.

Its real simple if you don't like the game cool move on.

Oh and grats Bill

+1.

One of the aspects of this game that is truly MMO is progression.  MMOs always have been, always will be, about the journey, not the destination.  Most other game genres are all about the destination.  Complete this level, defeat this evil baddie.  I never understood why people call endgame stuff endgame...MMOs have no endgame, that's what makes them an MMO.  It's a non-stop story that takes you on an endless journey *queues The Neverending Story theme song*  Did I just date myself again? lol

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

lol congrats for the tiny human mate.

As for the game, i haven't seen such a subpar, "meh" game in a long time. Wouldn't give this more than 5 bucks.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

Still uncertain if I'll be giving Defiance a go but reviews such as this are quite helpful.

Above all congrats for your son. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by bestever

The map in Defiance is far from small. Using the cars and atv's might make it seem small but its not. Start at the top of the map and run to San Francisco, then tell me its small. We're lucky they gave us cars and atv's or it would be a long long walk and you know it.

The content is fine, I havn't even finished the main story and have 22+ hours in and have done zero side quest. Just because you burnt through the content doesn't mean it has a lack of content. Its like most of you that post negative stuff about the game did this to make the game look bad when in fact its a great game that needs some work which it will get and only make the game better.

Its real simple if you don't like the game cool move on.

Oh and grats Bill

Oh please.

The only reason it takes long even with car, is because the is no road going in a straight line from top to San Fransisco.

The entire Defiance map would easily fit in 2 to 3 WoW zones or two EverQuest 2 maps like Antonica + Thundering Steppes. That's about it.

WoW at launch had two huge continents and Defiance barely covers a 10th of it.

Defiance doesn't even cover a 6th of what even EverQuest 2 had at launch.

Another game? LOTRO. Those zones are huge too and Defiance barely covers a 6th of that at launch either.

I have played all above games for extended periods of time. So I know what I am talking about.

You can take both fastest mount in EverQuest 2 or WoW (Speeds are comparible with Defiance's cars these days) and you'll trully see how tiny the entire map of Defiance trully is.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    May still take a dive into this at some point, sounds interesting.  Waiting to see what the show is like too.