Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these dead MMO titles should not have been shut down

FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Interested in the results, if your title is not on the list please select "other" and make a comment

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    SWG had some interesting things going on in the background right before it got shut down, so I had to go with it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Jumpgate: Evolution
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    easily SWG.. they just needed to roll back before NGE and polish some things up, i'd probably still be playing if they did that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    SWG is going to get flooded. I kind of wish Hellgate: London hadn't gone under (though I guess it's sort of back again), but the one I really miss is The Chronicles of Spellborn. Also, would've been nice if FFXIV had decided to make their changes in a series of patches instead of a relaunch.
  • HCS-RadnetoHCS-Radneto Member Posts: 64
    For 100% PvP I must admit I really miss Fury! (but it was best in beta!)

Currently working around the clock on Eldevin

• MythosaeonMythosaeon Member UncommonPosts: 68

One way or another they all died due to self-inflicted wounds.

I think Star Wars Galaxies would actually have a sucessful re-release - in it's original form - say 4-6 months after release,  before all the rampant nerfing and later CU and NGE disasters.  

-Myth-

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by versulas
    SWG is going to get flooded. I kind of wish Hellgate: London hadn't gone under (though I guess it's sort of back again), but the one I really miss is The Chronicles of Spellborn. Also, would've been nice if FFXIV had decided to make their changes in a series of patches instead of a relaunch.

SquareEnix didn't have much choice with FFXIV. The changes they're making aren't the kind that can be implemented in a patch; they've completely rebuilt the game from the ground up on a new engine... Quite literally everything besides the art assets is new.

I voted for CoX though... it was that or SWG but I feel between the two CoX was the most unjustified.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    easily SWG.. they just needed to roll back before NGE and polish some things up, i'd probably still be playing if they did that

I know I would be. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

SWG

So I can play SWTOR not forced to witness all the hate toward it on these forums :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Alberel

SquareEnix didn;t have much choice with FFXIV. The changes they're making aren't the kind that can be implemented in a patch; they've completely rebuilt the game from the ground up on a new engine... Quite literally everything besides the art assets is new.

Oh, I know. Marketing-wise this is a much better option for them as well. But I've got a short attention span and I want my cookies now ;P

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

SWG

So I can play SWTOR not forced to witness all the hate toward it on these forums :)

hm.. that actually makes sense :) It would be fair for both sides.

The Return of ELITE !

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Mythosaeon

One way or another they all died due to self-inflicted wounds.

I think Star Wars Galaxies would actually have a sucessful re-release - in it's original form - say 4-6 months after release,  before all the rampant nerfing and later CU and NGE disasters.  

Im curious though, what makes you think SWG pre CU/NGE would do better today, than back in 2004? I know many people like to put on rose colored glasses and assume SWG was doing perfectly fine before "LucasArts forced CU/NGE on us for no reason", but there is no ignoring the fact that CU/NGE was a last ditch effort to stop the subs from bleeding.

My vote is Earth and Beyond, that game was the tits.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

^ This.

I'll never forgive them for what they did. Jack wagons. The lot of 'em.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

^ This.

Agreed. Maybe some high up Mr. Disney suit is reading the forums... lol

The Return of ELITE !

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i really dont care about any of those games listed on the poll. The ones that were good were too old (graphics and clunky mechanics) and the ones that were newer felt unfinished.

All i can say is that Black Prophecy had 1000 times better space experience than Swtor.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

By far SWG for me.Take it back to before NGE and the game was a lot of fun.I'd absolutely still be playing the game now.The crafting and housing were outstanding.

Even though I play Swtor here and there,it doesn't compare to SWG.We had to lose a great game to get an inferior one :(

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

While no doubt SWG is a good choice, I went with Shadowbane, because it was a game that had several interesting mechanics that haven't been duplicated since in any other title. 

Shame it couldn't have been delivered more professionally and grown over time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Mercy kills all of them.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by aleos

+1

2nd Place goes to Tabula Rasa.

Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by aleos

+1

2nd Place goes to Tabula Rasa.

wasn't jumpgate evolution canceled during production? 

The Return of ELITE !

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Wish these two were still going:
    Star Wars Galaxies
    City of Heroes

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I miss swg from pre cu it was a great game I had a lot of fun in it.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

City of Heroes. It didn't have a money or population problem and was still profitable when it was closed. I still don't understand the thinking behind it.

That's without my personal feelings involved since I was never a big fan of the game and only played it for a short amount of time years ago.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Zekiah

^ This.

Agreed. Maybe some high up Mr. Disney suit is reading the forums... lol

Why would they re release an MMO that was bleeding subs? (Pre CU/NGE).

They already have one of those...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Voted TR because I knew everyone else would go with SWG....The problem is the game was terrible when it was finally shut down....Too many people are living way in the past in that game and not dealing with what it really was when it did shut down.