Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Will CU's Kickstarter reach $2 mil?

Comments

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Searias
    I wonder if it is possible to donate more than $10,000. If my girl friend approves I think I can go upto $50,000, but she is being hard hehe.

Really?!?!

Listen to your girlfriend. If you have that much disposable cash to spend you should consider donating to causes alot more worthy than a video game on KS.

Just a thought......

Here's a thought... be quiet.

How dare he use his hard earned money on something he truly wants to see succeed that could provide enjoyment for hundreds, if not thousands, of people. How dare he not put his hard earned money into a plethora of "charities" that are nothing more than ponzi schemes.

At least this way he can directly see what his contribution is going toward and end up with something TANGIBLE in the end. You're ridiculous. It's his money. It's his right. It's his hard earned effort that clearly made him the success he is to have $50,000 of disposable income.

Back off.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

@Jdnewell

What causes? Tell me. Charities? You realize that they've found around 93% of that money never reaches the people who needs it, and just lines pockets?

Also, it's his money. He earned it. He can do what he wants with it. Though I agree with you in the sense that it ias a massive amount of money and honestly I think he shouldn't...but at the same time I want the game funded, and if he can swing it...why not? A game he could play for a decade isn't a terribad reward.

@Guy who wants to spend 50K

YOu can contact MJ in the KS  page, using "Ask a question", and donate 50,000 as an Angel investor. That'll pretty much get you everything rewards wise, an Island, Inn, home, a million FP, ectera. MJ is good at rewarding people.

Also, you'll be a Legend. You'll be making tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, happy, and supporting a company and their families.

Wholeheartedly agree. People telling others what to do with their money... jeez. Ridiculous.

• DzwestDzwest Member Posts: 4

@Jdnewell

What causes? Tell me. Charities? You realize that they've found around 93% of that money never reaches the people who needs it, and just lines pockets?

Also, it's his money. He earned it. He can do what he wants with it. Though I agree with you in the sense that it ias a massive amount of money and honestly I think he shouldn't...but at the same time I want the game funded, and if he can swing it...why not? A game he could play for a decade isn't a terribad reward.

@Guy who wants to spend 50K

YOu can contact MJ in the KS  page, using "Ask a question", and donate 50,000 as an Angel investor. That'll pretty much get you everything rewards wise, an Island, Inn, home, a million FP, ectera. MJ is good at rewarding people.

Also, you'll be a Legend. You'll be making tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, happy, and supporting a company and their families.

I pledged the 1250.00 BSC and split the " No Man Is an Island , but you can own one" with my brother and I will contibute more if that is whats needed to have a successful KS, because I earned it, saved it  and will not donate to most "charites" because of the large amount of "overhead" these leaches suck from the donations. What I do donate to is local organizations that keep the monies in the area.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    About a mill came from Mark in form of trusted friends, the question is, will Mark find enough trusted friends to reach to to 2mills?
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Hjamnr
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I really think there are a lot of people who believe their credit card gets charged immediately and they don't get a refund if the Kickstarter doesn't fund. These people are probably all waiting until the very last day to donate and the rest of us will need to get it up to $1.9 million or something before they will pull the trigger. Yes they are ignorant and should read the FAQ on Kickstarter or the hundreds of posts here and elsewhere explaining how Kickstarter works. I'm not sure why it's such a hard thing to understand. Probably all the trolls here and elsewhere claiming this is all a scam and the game will never get made even if it funds don't help.

Even if it funds, the game really may never be made. People that claim this aren't trolls. That's part of the risk of donating to a Kickstarter project and people should understand that before they commit their money to it. There are hundreds of reasons why projects fail to release after they get funding whether it be from crowd funding or private funding. 

Perhaps, but it's not yours, nor anyone else's, responsibility to protect random-internet-strangers from themselves.

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. Expressing opinions and discussing topics on forums is something many people enjoy. If anything, it's makes more sense for a person to express the reality of the situation on a forum than it does to propagate a fantasy. All of the "this will be so awesome, just give them your money" rhetoric is, in my opinion, less valuable than someone expressing the reality of the situation.

Understandable, however iv yet to see anything possive posted from you in anything realated to CU

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    It sure as heck will now with the video about the depths aka darkness falls!

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• Autumnstorm27Autumnstorm27 Member Posts: 9
    I just raised my pledge I really hope it does :)
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Searias
    I wonder if it is possible to donate more than $10,000. If my girl friend approves I think I can go upto $50,000, but she is being hard hehe.

Really?!?!

Listen to your girlfriend. If you have that much disposable cash to spend you should consider donating to causes alot more worthy than a video game on KS.

Just a thought......

Here's a thought... be quiet.

How dare he use his hard earned money on something he truly wants to see succeed that could provide enjoyment for hundreds, if not thousands, of people. How dare he not put his hard earned money into a plethora of "charities" that are nothing more than ponzi schemes.

At least this way he can directly see what his contribution is going toward and end up with something TANGIBLE in the end. You're ridiculous. It's his money. It's his right. It's his hard earned effort that clearly made him the success he is to have $50,000 of disposable income.

Back off.

Off topic: Something is seriously wrong with you.

On topic: Will it hit the goal? Probably not. He'll probably end up having to kick in some of the money he's been holding back on.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Roin

On topic: Will it hit the goal? Probably not. He'll probably end up having to kick in some of the money he's been holding back on.

That's not allowed by the rules at Kickstarter.

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Depths has really kicked in about 10k today. Nice timing by MJ for sure. He's not dumb, he's not a millionaire for no reason. Good work

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by pacov
    Realistically speaking, no. But I hope so because I'm liking the concept.. too bad I'm broke.

Honestly, if you like it, throw in 5 bucks.  Even if you only like some of the ideas, but want to encourage other game designers to think out of the box - throw in 5 bucks.  Enough people doing that can make a huge difference. :)

Originally posted by Stizzled
    I don't care one way or the other, this game is nowhere on my radar. But, I do hope that Zenimax Online is paying attention to CU's kickstarter. Whether or not this succeeds could be a great indication of just how much MMO players really want another RvR game.

QFT

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I admit I'm not "up" on how Kickstarter works.  They would deny him the ability to donate to his own cause? If anything they should give him a pat on back, for wanting to put in his own money to it.  If it came down to that.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. Expressing opinions and discussing topics on forums is something many people enjoy. If anything, it's makes more sense for a person to express the reality of the situation on a forum than it does to propagate a fantasy. All of the "this will be so awesome, just give them your money" rhetoric is, in my opinion, less valuable than someone expressing the reality of the situation.

That might be true if most approached it as just sharing an opinion. Rather than trying to rub the high probability of something going wrong in the faces of those who support the project, which is how it typically sounds.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

I admit I'm not "up" on how Kickstarter works.  They would deny him the ability to donate to his own cause? If anything they should give him a pat on back, for wanting to put in his own money to it.  If it came down to that.

The total amount you ask for is supposed to be the investment that you need.  If someone used their own money just to make sure they got the money already pledged to a kickstarter, that would be dishonest.  Either they wouldnt have enough to make the product the way they said, or else they didnt actually need the money in the first place.

That said, I'm not really worried about CU not making its goal.  People are freaking out because its following the same pattern as other kickstarters (its actually doing better, the numbers are still going up instead of just stalling completely in the middle weeks of the kickstarter).  They will get another huge surge of people pledging towards the end of the campaign.

We certainly shouldnt be complacent.  People need to pledge.  But there's no need for panic.

My concern is whether they will make their stretch goals.  Im sure if they dont that content will all get added eventually in later updates or expansions to the game, but it would be nice to have as much awesome content as possible at launch.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

That is correct, you can't donate to your own KS.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Taldier

The total amount you ask for is supposed to be the investment that you need.  If someone used their own money just to make sure they got the money already pledged to a kickstarter, that would be dishonest.  Either they wouldnt have enough to make the product the way they said, or else they didnt actually need the money in the first place.

That said, I'm not really worried about CU not making its goal.  People are freaking out because its following the same pattern as other kickstarters (its actually doing better, the numbers are still going up instead of just stalling completely in the middle weeks of the kickstarter).  They will get another huge surge of people pledging towards the end of the campaign.

We certainly shouldnt be complacent.  People need to pledge.  But there's no need for panic.

My concern is whether they will make their stretch goals.  Im sure if they dont that content will all get added eventually in later updates or expansions to the game, but it would be nice to have as much awesome content as possible at launch.

Exactly. As per my $5M launch budget/$10M final, things like The Depths and other ideas I have would be added over time. If we make our stretch goals, I get to hire some additional people to get them in sooner, especially TD (I really can't wait to work on that).

And as to whether it's time to panic, you are also correct. We are in the period with many, not all, KSers where things tend to slow down a bit. Which is why the reveal for TD now versus either much earlier or later.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I seriously doubt that a project many of us have been waiting 10 years for will fail to successfully fund.  This would imply that the populace has been successfully transformed into lemmings.

I for one refuse to pay a monthly subscription to mindlessly grind for a predetermined amount of time and then move on to the next subscription.

So if a project like this cannot succeed, then the entire MMO industry is bound to failure.

Nanulak

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

The most recent CU update changed my prediction from "will likely fund" to "will definitely fund!"

The concept of "The Depths" is so cool that the game as a whole, and this stretch goal, must fund. It has me even more excited that the initial CU announcement!

Anyway, the key is going to be getting enough gamers reading and watching these updates to get the backers to keep coming. CSE (and the fans as much as possible) need to make sure news sites give due coverage because I am sure people will like what CSE presents over the next few weeks as it is only going to get better.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Seams like you people are watching $ numbers, you should realy pay attention to numbers that represent backers, those numbers will determine how healthy the developer team will be, are there enough people to keep CU alive, and free of bugs? unless Mark himself is going to fund it, just to keep players happy.
  • StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I seriously doubt that a project many of us have been waiting 10 years for will fail to successfully fund.  This would imply that the populace has been successfully transformed into lemmings.

I for one refuse to pay a monthly subscription to mindlessly grind for a predetermined amount of time and then move on to the next subscription.

So if a project like this cannot succeed, then the entire MMO industry is bound to failure.

I don't think it would mean the industry as a whole is on it's way to failure. After all, this game doesn't seem to be trying to cross any barriers or reinvent the wheel of MMO design, it's just a PvP game.

What it could mean is that there may not have been that many people waiting for a DAoC successor, and RvR may not be as popular as some like to think. That's why I stated earlier in the thread that I hope ZOS is paying close attention. If this does fail to fund, ZOS may want to lessen their focus on RvR for ESO.

Yep, this is it. If CU:TOR fails to fund a lot of devs will consign RvR to obscurity forever. The converse will not be true until CU:TOR goes live and proves to be an unexpected and resounding success.

I think we'll know in 19 days.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

What it could mean is that there may not have been that many people waiting for a DAoC successor, and RvR may not be as popular as some like to think. That's why I stated earlier in the thread that I hope ZOS is paying close attention. If this does fail to fund, ZOS may want to lessen their focus on RvR for ESO.

What it would mean is there weren't enough of those people who were willing to donate to Kickstarter 2 1/2 years before the game would release. I'm not sure we can draw any real connection between the Kickstarter numbers and how many people would have purchased the game at retail if it had been funded outside of Kickstarter then paid a monthly sub to play it for months or years. Kickstarter is just something new and different to most players and not something they totally like or trust.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TroianmanTroianman Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I don't think it would mean the industry as a whole is on it's way to failure. After all, this game doesn't seem to be trying to cross any barriers or reinvent the wheel of MMO design, it's just a PvP game.

While I do agree that this project failing to fund would not condemn the entire genre of MMOs to failure it would certainly not be an indication of a willingness to embrace some or many of the proposed concepts. The game is not just a PvP game, it would cross barriers and while it isn't a reinvention of the wheel it definitely changes the treads with its combination of newish and revamped traditional ideas. Even games such as EVE, Darkfall, and Mortal Online (full PvP/full loot) have npcs that drop loot/gear but CU would not. Darkfall and Mortal Online allow for skill progression via PvE but CU would not. While some MMOs allow you to focus on crafting and pay no attention to much of anything else CU would actually have a crafting class that would provide some benefit to group/realm members in combat situations besides just supplying armor and weapons. The barriers being crossed are mostly artificial and mainly exist to expand the target audience in other MMOs but they are still barriers that exist even potentially in the minds of some of the target audience due to their extensive and long lasting use.

Failure to fund would ultimately not prove much anything about a DAoC successor (CU is merely a spiritual successor in some ways, not a literal direct successor) or about RvR in general (a concept which has proven to be popular enough already). I have to say I agree with meddyck in that it would more likely prove that many MMO fans are not willing to pay up 2 to 3 years in advance to see if something they kind of want/do want/might want works out.  It would also rather unfortunately prove to some that a KS project (at least for an MMO) needs to launch with more than just a group of ideas laying the groundwork for the development of said project (even though that is actually kind of the point of KS).

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

That is correct, you can't donate to your own KS.

Other things you might not know about this Kickstarter (things I didn't know):

--No-one's money goes anywhere until/unless the entire Kickstarter is met.  So, you're not going to throw in some cash and then hear, "Oh, sorry, we only got 1.9 million...thanks for the dough!"  No one's credit card is charged unless the full funding goal is met.  At that point City State Entertainment is committed to develop the game, also as per Kickstarter policy.

--Mark Jacobs has said repeatedly and very publicly that if/when KS funds, he will put in 2 million of his own money to the project.  He also has 1 million from  private investors/friends that he will put in.   He thus has a strong personal incentive to make a successful game, even beyond doing what he said he would do - he is risking his own cash and his friends', not just money from a bunch of gamers he doesn't know.

--Jacobs has also said that none of the $5 million  raised for game development will be going to him personally for salary, etc.  It will all go into developing the game. 

--I have heard that the current cost of launching the KS is also being bourne by Jacobs, to the tune of about $150K. 

Hope this helps. :)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I think they will but barely. I expect a big influx on the last 2 days. Current trends show they will land far away from the goal but the fans of the game will try to do everything to reach it.
  • EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

If the KS looks like it's going to fail, the current backers will most definitely up pledgers and do everything else they can to try and hit the target.

Also, I wouldn't mind betting that a few industry backers will come in.  After all, the gaming industry is a small world and I doubt any of them want to see each others projects fail.