Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEFIANCE Angry Joe Review - Spot on.

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by lordtwisted
    Originally posted by Umbrood

Thing with AJ is, he kind of knows gaming and games, and he earns a living by being honest, and lets face it, angry.

Toalbiscuit is much the same, only a tad more arrogant, but hey, he is brittish!

And even though I do not always agree with AJ's conclusions, most of his arguments are hard to refute.

I would give Defiance a 6 or 7, but still based on the exact same premises.

The review is spot on, but, to me, it is worth a point or two more.

Its all in how you value each point.

I have been playing games longer than this reviewer has been alive, and have more experience in the industry than this reviewer does.  

In the majority of the games I bothered to try and judge the success or failure of I have been right. I do not however have the personality, or the skills needed to professionaly review games...

I discussed it with one magazine editor at E3 several years ago and he told me what they pay for written reviews, and it would not be worth the time involved to come up with a well rounded unbiased review.  The only real perk would be the early access to games, and having been a game tester at one point I would not want to relive those days.

Thats it in a nutshell, Nagative reviews like it or not will draw attention to whatever and for better or worse will make money for both parties involved.

Originally posted by BrownAle

I mean there was actually no game play or really game related content in the guys video.

Spends the whole video trashing the lore, which is fine since theres not much out there right now anyway.

Shows a bug that...well i dont know looks bad but has never happend to me, not sure if thats been fixed...i think it has though

Then goes on to be angry about patcher error, i would be if it had happend to me i guess.

Then complains about not knowing much and the tie in being short, like he doesnt realize the tv show hasnt started, only he does.

And then...well he complains about the data recorders being hidden.

Ok.  Step back and look at what the guy trashed.  Doesnt like the scifi lore obviously, not a fan of the races in the lore.  Hates patcher error (who wouldnt though?)  Doesnt like that the Tie in before the show starts is significant.  Hates exploring for lore.

If this is gamebreaking for you please dont play.

On a side note.  Isnt a review, or shouldnt a review of the game like...cover the game and gameplay (which i think is outstanding)?

Doesnt this strike anyone as odd how nothing that was reviewed has much to do with the game itself?  I mean i get this is going to aid haters in proving the game sucks and they are right to hate it.  I get thats why the post was made.  But i mean at least pawn this off as a review on defiance lore and logging in / character creation. 

Just because the game doesnt give you every bit of lore right off the bat with a 4 hour movie or whatever doesnt make the game shit.  Perhaps he will watch the show and play bit more of the game, include the mechanics and actual gameplay, and then trash the game itself not what seems to be a rushed review with no substance regarding the actual game.  Hell he couldnt even reproduce the graphic bug and had to use someone elses video of the ATV going under ground.  Doesnt that seem strange to do?

I know people are going to hate the game, but this review...its not even a review of the game defiance...

Oh and i hate the big forhead race too, seems to ruin what i suspect to be some really fine looking girls lol.

Anyway, even if this guy were to make a fawning review of the game, if he did it in the same manner as he made this "review" i wouldnt be interested.  Theres plenty of people who actually review games and you leave their youtube channel with a good feel for the game, and a good idea as to what to expect.  This viedo is more about him yelling and swearing and when he rand out of things to yell about the video ends.  Wouldnt watch this guy again if this is how all his videos are, and probably a reason ive never heard of him before.

Your 100% right it is not a review its a sad attempt to get youtube views.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    That was incredibly long winded, and could have been summed up in a 3-5 min video.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by DMKano

Now I agree with some things he said, no doubt, but 5/10 for angry Joe is more like 7/10 in reality for most. 

But entertaining review, very biased and overly harsh as usual, but who watches angry joe for objectivity?

More like, he's the only sensible one who doesn't inflate scores. 5/10 is an arithmetic middle. It should be treated as such, especially becuase there is no PASS or FAIL in game reviews.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Tayah
    That was incredibly long winded, and could have been summed up in a 3-5 min video.

He didnt even cover a single bit of gameplay. What reviews dont cover the actual game?  I mean seriously....

• archy1985archy1985 Member Posts: 11

i agree on some "critics" but still, i really enjoy the game.

i have plenty of things to do there, so the things that are "less good" are put away from my head. 

gona keep playing it as long as dlc's come and have any kind of "quest" to do...so i will be there for a long time.

maybe cause i see it more like a hmmm, single player game with some kind of interaction outside the box.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    How about people think for themselves because one persons opinion isn't going to be the same as anothers.  That is fine he doesn't really care for the game and some people do, heck I think it's average but honestly that's MY view point not anyone else.
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Originally posted by Tayah

He didnt even cover a single bit of gameplay. What reviews dont cover the actual game?  I mean seriously....

Exacty what Review it was a rant riding on Defiance coat tail. And people sure do love rants non of the less.image

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

AngryJoe , I actually met him and talked to him in RL. You have to understand that his fans like lots of angry harsh criticism, otherwise nobody would be watching him.

Just remember when you watch or read reviews, they are often more about attracting views,  first and foremost. And a highly biased angry review gets a lot of page hits.

Angryjoe gets his views through harsh criticism, he admitted to this in person, he tried a nice approach and nobody cared.

Now I agree with some things he said, no doubt, but 5/10 for angry Joe is more like 7/10 in reality for most. 

But entertaining review, very biased and overly harsh as usual, but who watches angry joe for objectivity?

He was positive pretty much the whole way through GW2.... guess it must be an 11/10.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    In before 'angry joe wasn't paid enough' or that his review doesn't matter. I like his reviews though and i prefer them over sites like IGN, gamespot etc.

I usually trust Youtube guys I'm subscribed to or listen alot of.  Guys like Angry Joe, Force, Dontain and Jesse Cox jsut to name a few because those guys usually like the same stuff I like.  The big name sites are just that, and IMO are trying to get readers to take notice so are inevitably trying to sell you their site rather then the game they talk about.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I agree with a lot he said and disagree with a lot he said. 

The bugs and issues are a given and everyone has discussed these in great detail. 

I actually liked most of the characters in Defiance though. Carl Von Bach, Cass, Jon Cooper, Varus, Joshua Nolan, Irisa, and Torc  all seemed fleshed out pretty well especially for a game. The other characters not so much. 

I also like the story. Its above your average MMO story and Game story but... the issue I have with both the characters I liked and the story is that it felt like it was only a part 1 of a mini series. It feels like things ended to soon. Von Bach is still alive, Cass has this hidden agenda thats never revealed, Cooper has a lot of story left to tell about his past, Torc I just want to hang out with more, etc. The main story mission needs to continue on and I was left with the impression it would. If they don't add more to it in later DLCs and expansions (If there are any expansions) then I will be severly dissapointed. For now though I am satisfied and eagerly awaiting more. 

I agree that killing that big arse mech in a cut scene was lame. I wanted to fight it, I was pretty excited when I came across it and it killed me in no time flat. I was pissed when I found out I wasn't able to get people together to take it down. 

I liked the episode missions as well. It was what I hoped and thought it would be. I have more background on the first episode of the TV series which is nice. 

Co-op missions, Arkfalls and Shadow wars is where the game truly shines currently though. 

Currently there is a lot to both like and dislike with the game, I'm enjoying it (Without having to force myself to do so lol) though because I've found more to like. It also looks like Trion is doing as Trion does and are attempting to fix things and flesh things out. 

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Eir_S

AngryJoe , I actually met him and talked to him in RL. You have to understand that his fans like lots of angry harsh criticism, otherwise nobody would be watching him.

Just remember when you watch or read reviews, they are often more about attracting views,  first and foremost. And a highly biased angry review gets a lot of page hits.

Angryjoe gets his views through harsh criticism, he admitted to this in person, he tried a nice approach and nobody cared.

He was positive pretty much the whole way through GW2.... guess it must be an 11/10.

It seems someone never misses the slightest chance to plug their favorite game...ugh.

Anyways. I'm watching the review and almost finished but what strikes me as odd is for this particular title to be criticized on one of its aspects like voice acting but another game which has an even worse voice acting gets glossed over as if it were nothing.

Watching/reading reviews I know the truth lies somewhere in the middle. My days of fanning over TB or whomever are pretty much over.

Hello cynicism.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by lordtwisted
    Originally posted by Umbrood

Thing with AJ is, he kind of knows gaming and games, and he earns a living by being honest, and lets face it, angry.

Toalbiscuit is much the same, only a tad more arrogant, but hey, he is brittish!

And even though I do not always agree with AJ's conclusions, most of his arguments are hard to refute.

I would give Defiance a 6 or 7, but still based on the exact same premises.

The review is spot on, but, to me, it is worth a point or two more.

Its all in how you value each point.

I have been playing games longer than this reviewer has been alive, and have more experience in the industry than this reviewer does.  

In the majority of the games I bothered to try and judge the success or failure of I have been right. I do not however have the personality, or the skills needed to professionaly review games...

I discussed it with one magazine editor at E3 several years ago and he told me what they pay for written reviews, and it would not be worth the time involved to come up with a well rounded unbiased review.  The only real perk would be the early access to games, and having been a game tester at one point I would not want to relive those days.

Thats it in a nutshell, Nagative reviews like it or not will draw attention to whatever and for better or worse will make money for both parties involved.

As will positive.

Were does that leave us, the consumers?

After all, we are the ones paying for EVERYONE!

Every site, this one included, has been contaminated, there is zero chance to get an honest review anymore, of anything.

The last bastion, as I see it mind you, is reviews that do not depend on money from PR.

Even though I can not say for certain that AJ, or TB, takes handouts it does seem unlikely.

But in the end, I too have been around electronic entertainment almost since its inception, I can spot right from wrong a mile away.

And not just for me, I realise people are different, we like very different things.

And even though I really hate, or love, some feature of a game I can see the opposite side of the argument, as in I undestand why I hate it, but I also understand why some people love it.

But if I simply can not understand the design decision, period, trying it from every possible angle, then I am either a lot less emphatic then I give myself credit, and that is completely possible, or something is not what it seems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    tbh if they probably made the game more social friendly people wouldn't think much of how repetative the game is. an example eve online. eve online is very repeatative but people play it because it has a strong social economy. i'm sure if the devs added something like a main hangout area for people who just wanna chat it up and just chill wouldn't feel the game is solo. i for 1 is one of those gamers who likes to chill and chat from time to time when i have done a big raid and whatnot. who knows maybe they have that part in the game just not unlocked yet
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Angry Joe is the best !

Join the angry army !!

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I really like angry joe, but i don't think people should take his reviews to serious.

They're fun to watch.. but i mean.. Come on.. Defiance has A LOT of flaws, even if It's really fun to play.

That and.. Well.. Joe gave skyrim a 10/10... 

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Speaking of the TV series, I really hope it's much better than this game turned out to be.

Keep in mind that this is Trion, Rift at launch was a pretty weak WoW clone, look at it now - the game is far ahead of WoW in many aspects.

Even AngryJoe admits that it is worth revisiting, as he knows what Trion is capable of doing.

Hmm, that's exactly how I felt about Rift at launch, and I quit after only a month or so.  I probably should re-visit it to see how it's matured over the years.

I highly recommend that anyone in your situation re-visit Rift.  It is its own game and has been for a good while. 

Regarding Defiance, I have some complaints.  For the most part however, I am still marvelling at the idea that I am enjoying a shooter game again.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This guy is way too angry about a fucking video game.

Joined - July 2004

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by NBlitz

It seems someone never misses the slightest chance to plug their favorite game...ugh.

You'll get why Eir_S said that if you read DMK post.

In before you say that you read it, people on this thread should check out most of AngryJoe's reviews, like honestly, cause we all know he doesn't get many views from being only highly biased and harsh. It's really cause the videos are entertaining and instead of talking that shit, he literally shows it, (When he talked about gameplay he did show it.)

Dead ass just look at his reviews, funny enough the ones with a lot of views are the games that aren't even being critized harshly.

Of course due to it being negative people going to diss him and etc but out of most reviews I seen his opinions aren't really extreme. 

Like most of the time especially with AngryJoe and Totalbiscuit I sit back and say to myself "Okay is what they are saying and showing actually understandable and can I see that being an issue with a lot of people even if I don't agree?"

It usually be "yes." Like Angryjoe is really the least biased reviewer I have seen. At the end of the day it's an opinion but it's sad to see what's being said about the guy. 

"Let him talk bad about your favorite game and then come talk to me." Well considerin that hasn't happen to me yet, I would in the end care less lol, course the way I get games I usually am cautious an actually use Angry Joe for what to expect for some games, like I was going to buy Aliens CM but yea he showed some convicing stuff, same with Defiance for [me], and I usually wait to see(Like I'm goin to do with Defiance) and glad I skipped Aliens CM. 

So yea my 2 cents, *Shrugs*

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

I can never understand this "scale from one to ten" grading system in our culture... I mean what does it even mean that 4 is worse than 5, and better than 3? The critics should just state the pros and cons of a product and allow people to judge for themselves if this is their thing or not.

About Defiance, I think Trion was trying to create their own version of Diablo/Torchlight's crazily addictive loot hunt vibe. For a good ARPG there are three major things that devs need to focus on in order to deliver such a experience:

1. A good tiered loot table for every level.

2. Well designed loot drops that build around the skill system to allow totally different play style, ie build define weapons.

3. Fun, fast pace and extremely satisfying combat, ie rewarding pew pew process.

And Trion succesfully take care of these(ego rating 412 now), which is why people are hooked to this game once they get used to all the bugs and a bunch of other stuff the devs screwed up(if these didn't drive them away first). It's core mechanics is decent, but the execution on the MMO side is such a big failure that make the game almost impossible to get good review in this WoW dominated world. When heard about a MMO we kinda expect some main features to be there, most of the things AJ said about Defiance are in this category.

It's sad that the game is rushed to meet SyFy's deadline, but I have faith in Trion to keep updating the game to make it a more social, compelling, non-linear, varied experience for the general MMO player base.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I'm sorry my comparison went over your head.  The point wasn't about GW2 at all, it was that he doesn't do this with every game, DMKano's post seems to be saying "it's ok, he does this with every game" when he doesn't.  GW2 is not even my current favorite game, but thanks for not missing the slightest (read: non-existent to everyone else in the thread) chance to take a shot at me.

Ugh indeed.

If anything, you should be criticizing DKMano for blindly defending Defiance even though he obviously has never watched enough of AngryJoe's reviews to make a statement like he did.

By the way, as far as I can see, GW2's review by Joe had one of, if not the HIGHEST, amount of views, and he was enthusiastic the entire time.  He was not very "harsh".  DMKano is now posting positive reviews while making excuses about Joe's that don't hold water.  But I doubt you have a problem with that either.

Wow its just one guy. This Angry Joe guy is intitled to his opinion. So are the people who either like or dislike Defiance. Why whould anyone care what anyone thinks me personaly I feel that Defiance is a AAA MMO. I feel that Defiance is for me the MMO that killed WoW. I feel that It is one of the best MMOTPS ever. I feel that Trion Worlds is the best game company in the world. These are all my opinions.

Play or dont play it dont make a bit of diffrence to the people who actualy enjoy the game and love the show.image

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

He did talk about combat/gameplay during his review. He liked the combat and bosses and just wished there were more of them in the outer world (something I'm sure TRION will look at in the future).

I was expecting a 6.5-7.5 from how he was talking, but if 5/10 means average for him, then I guess it makes sense.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Vorch

He did talk about combat/gameplay during his review. He liked the combat and bosses and just wished there were more of them in the outer world (something I'm sure TRION will look at in the future).

I was expecting a 6.5-7.5 from how he was talking, but if 5/10 means average for him, then I guess it makes sense.

That seems like the score it is getting from most of the reviewers. 5/10.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

That seems like the score it is getting from most of the reviewers. 5/10.

Don't forget that all these sites aren't legit for whatever reason. First Gamespot, then IGN, Eurogamer, PC Gamer, AJ...

I can't wait for what score Defiance will get on this page. I guess mmorpg.com will either give it a 8+ or dodge a final score due to "ongoing review in progress, trion patching alot so subject is matter to change".