Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEFIANCE Angry Joe Review - Spot on.

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I have to say, Angry Joe and I seem to share opinions on just about everything.  If you've never watched his reviews before, I'd say it's definitely worth the time because he likes to go in-depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZz_KKGpgfk

Every issue he brings up, I posted in every survey during the beta.

Overall, there is some pew pew fun to be had but it's definitely not for everyone and not going to keep players looking for more than the gunplay which is a bit of a shame, given this is supposed to be a chance for players to be a part of this new universe they're crafting with the TV series.

Speaking of the TV series, I really hope it's much better than this game turned out to be.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145

Yeah I'm sure that the games that you get in your sign will be 100% flawless,of course when they will be ready in 2040.

World of darkness LOL...

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    In before 'angry joe wasn't paid enough' or that his review doesn't matter. I like his reviews though and i prefer them over sites like IGN, gamespot etc.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Ahhh wouldn't feel like my day started right without someone making a negative post about a game, good morning MMORPG.com lol

On topic this guy regardless of wether his review is good or not comes off as quite annoying and offputting lol

No signature, I don't have a pen

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'm going to go ahead and confuse everyone.

I agreed with everything angry joe said, But i enjoy the game greatly and don't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon.

Really depends on the person, and i love it :)

My analytical side wants to downvote the game and give it a similar rating to Angryjoe, but the side of me thats having fun would easily bump it up to 8/10, just because the faults of the game don't bother me while playing and i enjoy myself.

Edit: the in game chat and voice chat controls are absolute freaking bullcrap though. :3

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Agoden

I'm going to go ahead and confuse everyone.

I agreed with everything angry joe said, But i enjoy the game greatly and don't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon.

Really depends on the person, and i love it :)

My analytical side wants to downvote the game and give it a similar rating to Angryjoe, but the side of me thats having fun would easily bump it up to 8/10, just because the faults of the game don't bother me while playing and i enjoy myself.

Edit: the in game chat and voice chat controls are absolute freaking bullcrap though. :3

I really like that he mentions this as well and it's absolutely true - if you enjoy the gunplay, you'll have lots of fun with it and keep going back for more. I unfortunately didn't get to do too much of the SHADOW WARS stuff which he said was the best part of the game so clearly, for PVP shooter fans, there's something pretty fun there.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Why are some so offended by a negative review of a game they like ?
    No one expects anything to be perfect , but people are allowed to point out flaws and not like a game.
    I bought the game and think its "ok" , but honestly , some of the fanboys of this game and the upcoming Camelot game come across morie idiotic than any "haters" I've seen.
    Seems odd to me to throw a fit because some dont like X game and say so.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    No one expects anything to be perfect , but people are allowed to point out flaws and not like a game.
    I bought the game and think its "ok" , but honestly , some of the fanboys of this game and the upcoming Camelot game come across morie idiotic than any "haters" I've seen.

Why are some so offended by a positive review of a game they dislike. This is not something that is mutually exlcusive to one side or another. I personally have no problems with someone pointing out the negatives or positives of a game because in the end all that matters is whether I enjoy the game or not.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by DMKano

AngryJoe , I actually met him and talked to him in RL. You have to understand that his fans like lots of angry harsh criticism, otherwise nobody would be watching him.

Just remember when you watch or read reviews, they are often more about attracting views,  first and foremost. And a highly biased angry review gets a lot of page hits.

Angryjoe gets his views through harsh criticism, he admitted to this in person, he tried a nice approach and nobody cared.

Now I agree with some things he said, no doubt, but 5/10 for angry Joe is more like 7/10 in reality for most. 

But entertaining review, very biased and overly harsh as usual, but who watches angry joe for objectivity?

While I understand, I can't really agree. When a game is very solid, he says so, and praises it while still pointing out any shortcomings. Just check out the BioShock Infinite review for an example of that... don't mind the whole wearing a dress bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g15hfTHNdTg&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=5

So I certainly wouldn't say he goes out of his way to just be harsh for the sake of raging for views. I think he's acutally far more accurate most of the time than most big review sites and more reliable as a gamer.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    In before 'angry joe wasn't paid enough' or that his review doesn't matter. I like his reviews though and i prefer them over sites like IGN, gamespot etc.

Angry Joe has the freedom to criticize things he doesn't like about games, even if he really likes the games. Often to the entertainment of others, which is why he can make money on Youtube. His point value system really doesn't matter, so long as his criticisms are accurate.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    He is pretty much right on about the game as it is right now.  As new content, fixes, etc happens then it could become a much better game. 
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Angry Joe has the freedom to criticize things he doesn't like about games, even if he really likes the games. Often to the entertainment of others, which is why he can make money on Youtube. His point value system really doesn't matter, so long as his criticisms are accurate.

I know that. I was just being sarcastic. In case of IGN fans slammed it because they are considered 'sell outs'. So i was just wondering what excuse they will use to shrug off his reviews. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Angry Joe is one of my favourite reviewers tbh, and i pretty much agree with the OP, he has given i think, a very good review of the game, if i had been interested in third person shooters, then it would probably have encouraged me to actually buy the game, he does after all, state that in his opinion, the game is worth how much you pay for it and there is a lot of content, even if it is highly repetitive. Shadow Wars 64 v 64 PvP, is a reasonable figure for PvP in an MMO. Just a shame its a third person shooter tbh. image
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Speaking of the TV series, I really hope it's much better than this game turned out to be.

Keep in mind that this is Trion, Rift at launch was a pretty weak WoW clone, look at it now - the game is far ahead of WoW in many aspects.

Even AngryJoe admits that it is worth revisiting, as he knows what Trion is capable of doing.

Hmm, that's exactly how I felt about Rift at launch, and I quit after only a month or so.  I probably should re-visit it to see how it's matured over the years.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Keep in mind that this is Trion, Rift at launch was a pretty weak WoW clone, look at it now - the game is far ahead of WoW in many aspects.

Even AngryJoe admits that it is worth revisiting, as he knows what Trion is capable of doing.

Hmm, that's exactly how I felt about Rift at launch, and I quit after only a month or so.  I probably should re-visit it to see how it's matured over the years.

I re-visit it now and then,i just do some fishing and visit some towns and thats it pretty much,but to me that is really important,i dont choose WoW for that,i choose Rift for some reason,they added some nice things.

Edit:and i can do it for free

Let's internet

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I'm having a lot of fun in Defiance.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Thing with AJ is, he kind of knows gaming and games, and he earns a living by being honest, and lets face it, angry.

Toalbiscuit is much the same, only a tad more arrogant, but hey, he is brittish!

And even though I do not always agree with AJ's conclusions, most of his arguments are hard to refute.

I would give Defiance a 6 or 7, but still based on the exact same premises.

The review is spot on, but, to me, it is worth a point or two more.

Its all in how you value each point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

The problem is that people are ready to label anyone with an opinion that differs from theirs. 

There are only three posters on this forums that I would claim have been trolling, or hating on Defiance. The only reason they get up in the morning is to come on here and stir the pot. 

I got labeled a fanboy right out the gate becuase I pointed out that cm01 was a troll account who posted 50 post in two days, and started multiple thread for no other purpose than to bash the game. 

I like the game, it's certainly lacking in areas, and the chat system is almost inexcusable. 

But 5/10? I disagree. 

I would be more of a 7/10 myself, but I don't do reviews, nor could I. I don't have the personality to attract viewers.

Not so nice guy!

Originally posted by Umbrood

Thing with AJ is, he kind of knows gaming and games, and he earns a living by being honest, and lets face it, angry.

Toalbiscuit is much the same, only a tad more arrogant, but hey, he is brittish!

And even though I do not always agree with AJ's conclusions, most of his arguments are hard to refute.

I have been playing games longer than this reviewer has been alive, and have more experience in the industry than this reviewer does.  

In the majority of the games I bothered to try and judge the success or failure of I have been right. I do not however have the personality, or the skills needed to professionaly review games...

I discussed it with one magazine editor at E3 several years ago and he told me what they pay for written reviews, and it would not be worth the time involved to come up with a well rounded unbiased review.  The only real perk would be the early access to games, and having been a game tester at one point I would not want to relive those days.

Not so nice guy!

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I mean there was actually no game play or really game related content in the guys video.

Spends the whole video trashing the lore, which is fine since theres not much out there right now anyway.

Shows a bug that...well i dont know looks bad but has never happend to me, not sure if thats been fixed...i think it has though

Then goes on to be angry about patcher error, i would be if it had happend to me i guess.

Then complains about not knowing much and the tie in being short, like he doesnt realize the tv show hasnt started, only he does.

And then...well he complains about the data recorders being hidden.

Ok.  Step back and look at what the guy trashed.  Doesnt like the scifi lore obviously, not a fan of the races in the lore.  Hates patcher error (who wouldnt though?)  Doesnt like that the Tie in before the show starts is significant.  Hates exploring for lore.

If this is gamebreaking for you please dont play.

On a side note.  Isnt a review, or shouldnt a review of the game like...cover the game and gameplay (which i think is outstanding)?

Doesnt this strike anyone as odd how nothing that was reviewed has much to do with the game itself?  I mean i get this is going to aid haters in proving the game sucks and they are right to hate it.  I get thats why the post was made.  But i mean at least pawn this off as a review on defiance lore and logging in / character creation. 

Just because the game doesnt give you every bit of lore right off the bat with a 4 hour movie or whatever doesnt make the game shit.  Perhaps he will watch the show and play bit more of the game, include the mechanics and actual gameplay, and then trash the game itself not what seems to be a rushed review with no substance regarding the actual game.  Hell he couldnt even reproduce the graphic bug and had to use someone elses video of the ATV going under ground.  Doesnt that seem strange to do?

I know people are going to hate the game, but this review...its not even a review of the game defiance...

Oh and i hate the big forhead race too, seems to ruin what i suspect to be some really fine looking girls lol.

Anyway, even if this guy were to make a fawning review of the game, if he did it in the same manner as he made this "review" i wouldnt be interested.  Theres plenty of people who actually review games and you leave their youtube channel with a good feel for the game, and a good idea as to what to expect.  This viedo is more about him yelling and swearing and when he rand out of things to yell about the video ends.  Wouldnt watch this guy again if this is how all his videos are, and probably a reason ive never heard of him before.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I am really enjoying Defiance but i agree with every point Angry Joe mentioned about the game. Just because i really like Defiance doesnt mean i have to be blind and not see it needs all of those improvements.

Trion improved Rift over time so i hope they improve Defiance over time too with lots of new content and tweaks. Since Defiance is a PvE shooter its a lot more fun than Rift in my opinion so new and varied content will feel better here.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

AngryJoe , I actually met him and talked to him in RL. You have to understand that his fans like lots of angry harsh criticism, otherwise nobody would be watching him.

Just remember when you watch or read reviews, they are often more about attracting views,  first and foremost. And a highly biased angry review gets a lot of page hits.

Angryjoe gets his views through harsh criticism, he admitted to this in person, he tried a nice approach and nobody cared.

Now I agree with some things he said, no doubt, but 5/10 for angry Joe is more like 7/10 in reality for most. 

But entertaining review, very biased and overly harsh as usual, but who watches angry joe for objectivity?

Ya after all we are getting post from posters who prob dont even play Defiance for that matter and They just want to ride the coat tail of "Angry Joe" So this thread has no grounds.

Originally posted by BrownAle

I mean there was actually no game play or really game related content in the guys video.

Spends the whole video trashing the lore, which is fine since theres not much out there right now anyway.

Shows a bug that...well i dont know looks bad but has never happend to me, not sure if thats been fixed...i think it has though

Then goes on to be angry about patcher error, i would be if it had happend to me i guess.

Then complains about not knowing much and the tie in being short, like he doesnt realize the tv show hasnt started, only he does.

And then...well he complains about the data recorders being hidden.

Ok.  Step back and look at what the guy trashed.  Doesnt like the scifi lore obviously, not a fan of the races in the lore.  Hates patcher error (who wouldnt though?)  Doesnt like that the Tie in before the show starts is significant.  Hates exploring for lore.

If this is gamebreaking for you please dont play.

On a side note.  Isnt a review, or shouldnt a review of the game like...cover the game and gameplay (which i think is outstanding)?

Doesnt this strike anyone as odd how nothing that was reviewed has much to do with the game itself?  I mean i get this is going to aid haters in proving the game sucks and they are right to hate it.  I get thats why the post was made.  But i mean at least pawn this off as a review on defiance lore and logging in / character creation. 

Just because the game doesnt give you every bit of lore right off the bat with a 4 hour movie or whatever doesnt make the game shit.  Perhaps he will watch the show and play bit more of the game, include the mechanics and actual gameplay, and then trash the game itself not what seems to be a rushed review with no substance regarding the actual game.  Hell he couldnt even reproduce the graphic bug and had to use someone elses video of the ATV going under ground.  Doesnt that seem strange to do?

I know people are going to hate the game, but this review...its not even a review of the game defiance...

Oh and i hate the big forhead race too, seems to ruin what i suspect to be some really fine looking girls lol.

Anyway, even if this guy were to make a fawning review of the game, if he did it in the same manner as he made this "review" i wouldnt be interested.  Theres plenty of people who actually review games and you leave their youtube channel with a good feel for the game, and a good idea as to what to expect.  This viedo is more about him yelling and swearing and when he rand out of things to yell about the video ends.  Wouldnt watch this guy again if this is how all his videos are, and probably a reason ive never heard of him before.

I chuckle everytime I hear the argument of thelore isn't there, or no story, and one guy said thee is no depth to the races...

Syfy had a linguistics specialist, make new languages for the newly created alien races of the show, as well as religious, and cultural aspects for each race. 

Anyone that has take lingustics, and one or two cultural classes in college knows the depth of what these people created.

Not so nice guy!

These posters that attack a game have nothing better to do. Only reason they do so is because they wanted Rift to be the WoW killer it was not so now they are left standing in the rain crying about Trion.

Originally posted by Umbrood

Both AJ and biscuit remind me of Angry Dad from The Simpsons. That about how much entertianment vaule I put into these kind of people.

Originally posted by lordtwisted

The problem is that people are ready to label anyone with an opinion that differs from theirs. 

There are only three posters on this forums that I would claim have been trolling, or hating on Defiance. The only reason they get up in the morning is to come on here and stir the pot. 

I got labeled a fanboy right out the gate becuase I pointed out that cm01 was a troll account who posted 50 post in two days, and started multiple thread for no other purpose than to bash the game. 

I like the game, it's certainly lacking in areas, and the chat system is almost inexcusable. 

But 5/10? I disagree. 

I would be more of a 7/10 myself, but I don't do reviews, nor could I. I don't have the personality to attract viewers.

But you have the personality to attract the truth. TY man you speak the truth.image I will back you up every time dude.image