Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has Nintendo been forgotten?

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Lately for some reason i've been bored and thinking about getting back into nintendo. But lately i havn't heard anything about their games and system for some reason. Noboddy i work with has ever even mentioned nintendo, all they ever talk about in xbox. I never even see comercials advertising their games, ect. 

Does nintendo not have that magic they used to have like they had during there snes and n64 days? Or are there games just like the've always been and maybe i've just outgrown um... anyone else feel like nintendo has disapered compared to the way they used to be?

Comments

• grvmpybeargrvmpybear Member Posts: 90
    The only Nintendo games I play today are those in the Zelda franchise. With that being said, I wish Zelda would dump Nintendo and realease on multiple consoles. Nintendos systems just aren't up to par, and are holding the series back.

Currently playing: GW2 (Maguuma), DAoC (Uthgard), & Aion
    Waiting For / Watching: TUG, CU, Black Desert, Archeage,Wildstar, and ESO.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    No, just ignored until they come out with a decent console.
  • Bigmac1910Bigmac1910 Member Posts: 19
    Nintendo launched the Wii U late last year, approx as powerful as the Xbox360 / PS3, and they really screwed up their marketing campaigns, thats why few people have heard of them. Also a lot of people are waiting for the PS4 and Nextbox, so I'm not sure how Nintendo will do this holiday season.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I could be wrong but I think Nintendo is doing OK. They have a target audience which they design games & console around.  Which is mainly the younger audience.

I know when the Wii released my daughter loved it and played the hell out of it. Now that she has gotten older I doubt she would even pick up a Wii U. I think that if you enjoy casual games on a console a Wii U would not be a bad investment, especially if you have younger kids.

For adult or older gamers I think most are waiting for the new console ( xbox & ps4) or gaming on a PC.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Nintendo cannot be taken seriously anymore until they produce a console to compete against Sony and Microsoft without using gimicks. The Wii was a fad till everyone realised they sucked hence why the WiiU isn't selling well as the kids that had those now play on a PS3 or Xbox 360.

One thing though that can be said is that Nintendo do make quality games but now they need to either step their game up or take a leaf out of Sega's book and release their games on other consoles to really make some serious cash as in this current economic climate, I dare say that they are rolling in cash like in their heyday.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Nintendo forgot about the gamers who made them the leading console, they aimed for a different demographic and now have lost their foothold on the market.
  • RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by Dzone

Lately for some reason i've been bored and thinking about getting back into nintendo. But lately i havn't heard anything about their games and system for some reason. Noboddy i work with has ever even mentioned nintendo, all they ever talk about in xbox. I never even see comercials advertising their games, ect. 

Does nintendo not have that magic they used to have like they had during there snes and n64 days? Or are there games just like the've always been and maybe i've just outgrown um... anyone else feel like nintendo has disapered compared to the way they used to be?

there are quite a few problems but lets me assure you of one thing.

The WII U is a solid system, It is fun and when the game pad is integrated well, the games take on a new level. The Biggest problem that Nintendo has is the lack of serious first titles for this system. People are simply waiting because the launch content has been played to death.

LEDO city undercover is a prime example, serious third party title with decent popularty, fun and funny it is a GTA LEGO game, which is always something I thought would be done. But this is basically the only title since launch to get any comerical time or   any marketing.  

Nintendo has scaled Expectation with the WII U, It is following a very very similar trend (atleast so far) to the 3DS handeld.

sales were slow because lack of first party games and well as more serious and explected third party titles.

The WII U will see 2 Zeldas (one as a Windwaker remake and one and a new game) an other 3d Mario games (akin to mario 64) as well as another super smash.

It is the above titles that people want, I loved Zombie U but untill pikmen and wonderful 101 come out there is and was pretty much nothing. SBMBU (super Mario Bros U) is a great platformer but I have no instrest, NInja Gaiden is supposed to be really good and I have yet to pick it up, and Soon Deus Ex Human Revolution: Directors Cut will be on the WII U.

That all being said the 3DS is carrying this company until those first party titles are out, have titles like Fire Emblem: Awaking and Lugi's Masion: Dark Moon as just the recent big releases This handheld is coming into its own.

But Again, do not think the Wii U is a bad system, its specs are more powerful then the Xbox 360 and the potential for games with the gamepad go far beyond the uses that the MOVE or KNECT have. It  simply does not have the games that people want yet. My Opinion is the wait for some crazy bundle for a game you really want.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by grvmpybear
    The only Nintendo games I play today are those in the Zelda franchise. With that being said, I wish Zelda would dump Nintendo and realease on multiple consoles. Nintendos systems just aren't up to par, and are holding the series back.

Quoted for the lols.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    ...Zelda, Metroid, Ghost and Goblins, Mario ....I can go on and on....not forgotten, just like another posted stated until a good NES system comes out they are in the past....

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    Originally posted by grvmpybear

Quoted for the lols.

people don't realize how many titles Nintendo develops on their own

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Nintendo is like Lucasarts.
  • DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

I recently bought a Wii U for my family.  It's been fun to play, more so because we never owned the original Wii so the games for that were good and new to us and i personally love the virtual console stuff, it has a lot of old games i used to love to play from the nes, super nes, nintendo 64 days. 

With that being said, as far as new software for the actual Wii U, it's just not there.  I wouild have been really dissapointed in the Wii U purchase if I had already owned the regular Wii, because other than Mario Wii U, I spend most of my time playing the older games.  It also looks like while they have picked up some 3rd party support, it's not even close to what xbox and playstation have.  The os on the Wii U is really clunky and slow, it has some long load times.  The gamepad is really cool though, its fun to use around the house, but one downside to that even is the old wii and virtual console games won't play on it.

After the first couple months of a few hundred thousand in sales, the Wii U sales have crashed into the fifty thousand a month range which is horrible.  This is mainly because of lack of new games, and while there are promises of mario and zelda titles to be revealed at E3, there are not enough 3rd party games to fill in the gaps, and I don't see there being as many as they need in the future.

At this point it would make more sense for Nintendo to finally get out of the hardware business, at least in home consoles, because the Wii U is their first system to be sold at a loss, and it's not selling well anyway.  The handheld market is theirs for sure, even though the PS Vita is finally starting to show some life, but I think what most people want is Mario and Zelda on their playstation and xbox.  People are getting tired of buying Nintendo consoles just to play these titles and Nintendo has no incentive to make their own console for them if they are selling them at a loss now.  So Nintendo needs to either ramp up their software studios for their classic characters and create new IP's to have a constant flow of titles, or they need to just fold their hardware division and make their money on software made for other consoles.

Not all who wander are lost...

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Endless repeating same franchise for 20-30 years and mostly kids games no wonder they eventually vanish.

N64 for me was last era i liked nintendo but that was mainly for the SUPERB RARE GAMES and few nintendo games like zelda OoT.

Nintendo 3DS was for me reason to buy becouse of revival of Zelda OoT and worth it but also that platform get mainly old franchise or childish silly anime games i dont like.

But pc was always my mian interest so no loss for me.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Nah I think I still have a Zelda or Mario poster around here somewhere. 
  • MenzeldinhoMenzeldinho Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Apart from the fact Nintendo still actually exists right?

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Seems like nintendo is like the disney channel. That channel prolly has tons of kids watching it. I used to watch it constently when i was yonger, but now that im older and everyone i know is older we've moved on. Guss that would be a good comparison to what's happened with Nintendo for me.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Menzeldinho
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Apart from the fact Nintendo still actually exists right?

For now.

• a63ntorangea63ntorange Member Posts: 26

You guys are missing it, they completely abandoned the male gamer about 8 years or so ago.  They now court children of young ages and parents. They release games that have like almost no violence and lots of work out stuff, and tasteful things you can leave on at a kids birthday party, and you wont get angry parent phonecalls, cause an 8 yeah old couldnt talk about anything but fatalities and headshots otw home in mommies mini van. 

My sister never bought any game system ever, she makes a heapload of money and is a single parent. The first system she bought was a leap pad, for her daughter, when she outgrew that, she bought 2 Wii's. One for each of her houses. She doesnt even play them, they are there with a copy of 3 games that she likes for her daughter, and im sure as time progresses, she will get a new game each year x2 for her daughter at xmas time.  When those wii's quit being supported, she will do the same I am sure with the next gen, family freindly kid based console.  

That is the target audience for them now, and I have to imagine, its got to be nice holding a large market share where the only competition you have is the leap pad. 

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75
    Nintendo's doing just fine.  They have good games for the general gamer demographic too, just not as plentifully and not as pumped full of hormones.  If you simply can't enjoy a game that doesn't have ample swearing and blood, then it's not an ideal console.  Otherwise it's got plenty of great games.  You just have to be willing to weed through the shovelware, but you have to weed through shitty games on any console.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Bigmac1910
    Nintendo launched the Wii U late last year, approx as powerful as the Xbox360 / PS3, and they really screwed up their marketing campaigns, thats why few people have heard of them.

Not true. Not true at all (as well as a few others who was saying Wii failed).

Wii is doing VERY WELL in the apac regions. It is just NOT doing well in US.

It has a tendency of that because a lot of Wii games are NOT in English and NOT made for Western crowds.

It has been making a killing for the last few years in Asia - so much so that Sony and Microsoft have to release action feedback controllers to try to corner the market that Wii has taken.

And the principle of international business for the last 10 years is, if something is selling well in East Asia (China, HK, Japan, Korea, TW, Singapore, Malaysia, etc), who needs US/Europe? East Asia's current population size and spending power easily outstrips US by a mile. US is in recession, Asia is in growth.

Nintendo is doing very well.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

I am playing nintendo 3ds every day, there are some great games on it like:

Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario 3D land

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Luigi's Mansion 2 (best looking game on 3ds imho)

Zelda Ocarina of Time 3d

Monster hunter 3 ultimate

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

And there are a lot more games that are coming out soon

In october they will release first 3d pokemon game for nintendo 3ds: pokemon X and Y

Nintendo games are not about great graphics. It is all about having fun :) :) :) :)

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

I guess it's just your work. Everyone I speak to still goes on about Mario, Zelda and Pokemon almost constantly.

Most recently Luigis Mansion 2, and Pokemon Black and White 2 (both 3DS titles) and especally Windwaker HD on the Wii-U.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Wii and DS have both sold MUCH more than PS3 or Xbox 360, but a very clear margin. So no, Nintendo has lost none of its magic, if anything Sony and Microsoft have. (Especially Sony, which have sold less PS3 consoles than PS1 or PS2.)

I guess it's just who you speak to.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Wii U is pretty awesome.  Mario Land is borderline mmo (by today's definition).   you can also download all the old classic games for around $1.  i play Excitebike every morning before work.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

I got a N3DS because I thought 3d on a portable device would be cool. Only got 1 game for it Mario 64 3D and I only got that because I wanted to be Wario which you couldn't in the original. Kind of a waste of $60+ for a game I liked when I was younger but only pass as ok for me these days. Zelda: Ocarina of time would be good to relive too. Can't think of any game which would be better for Nintendo than the original Mario 64 (first 3d mario game) or the original Zelda 64 (first 3d zelda) It's only really good for kids starting out with gaming and when there for whatever reason is a total blackout and the pc, console and laptop exploded and you were the only one alone caught in a blackout then it would be alright.

Basicly if you like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK or w/e and desperate for the latest of those titles or want to relive the moments of back in the day again it would be alright for you because the real proper versions are only available through the console version which can't be replaced through emulation or any pc technology if you want to play the game as it was intended (on a portable handheld device). 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Who forgot it?  The Nintendo Wii outsold both Playstation 3 and XBox 360.

http://www.statista.com/topics/868/video-games/chart/937/best-selling-video-game-home-consoles/

The Nintendo DS back in December dethroned Playstation 2 as the best selling game console of all time.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/12/14/nintendo-ds-passes-playstation-2-to-become-best-selling-video-game-platform/

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville