Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• EaderbrecaEaderbreca MMORPG.com Streamer LPosts: 44Member
    I personally like it sticky because it's easy to find :)

(¯`v?¯) Sophie Breca (?.•?¯`•?.•*?¯`•*
    `*.?.*? Streamer at MMORPG.com
    (\__/)?.•?.•* DAoC PC Staff?)?.•*?)
    (="."=) (?.•? twitter.com/SophieBreca (?.•?
    (")_(")youtube.com/user/sophiebreca
    facebook.com/user/eaderbreca

• chrissreefchrissreef Los Angeles, CAPosts: 24Member

Is the low # of backers indicative of 

1. Low population servers with limited possibility of longevity and expansions?

2. Simply indicative of CSE not having much to show and thus people aren't backing?

• TheJodaTheJoda chicago, ILPosts: 467Member
    ....failing ATM, with the currrent projections of 44k a day to make the 2 Mil goal.....today currently they were at 22k last I checked.  Going to be ruff for them to fund unless a big last minute rush push.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• StrommStromm BrisbanePosts: 243Member
    Originally posted by Eaderbreca
    I personally like it sticky because it's easy to find :)

Ha ! Benny Hill comedy ftw. :-)

• StrommStromm BrisbanePosts: 243Member
    Originally posted by chrissreef

Is the low # of backers indicative of 

1. Low population servers with limited possibility of longevity and expansions?

2. Simply indicative of CSE not having much to show and thus people aren't backing?

The low number of backers is indicative of the minority niche audience appeal of the game imo.

If they got 10k subscribers relatively evenly distributed across the three realms on one server then they'd possibly have a vaguely viable game. It would always be tenuous. At 10k subs they could possibly fund purchased expansion packs. As to longevity, anyones guess.

• BinafusBinafus Eastland, TXPosts: 220Member

Number of backers does not equal the number accounts.

2 backers bought the 30 account guild package already.

There are some smaller versions of the guild package that have been bought, there is a package for two accounts, etc.

Plus a lot of people will not pay for something that is two years off, they will wait till it is coming out.

Seems most of the backers played Daoc, there is a whole lot of people that have never played Daoc when this game is close to coming out will get it as well, it is hard for someone who did not play Daoc be as fired up about this.

• boxsndboxsnd Kraxton, ARPosts: 438Member Uncommon
    The problem is CSE think people want "rewards" which is false. People want to play it as soon as possible first, and rewards second. The tiers below $110 are very unpopular because they will let us play in 2015 while all the alpha testers will play in 2014. I was extremely excited for CU but I can't afford $110 and the cheaper tiers don't offer alpha access which is the #1 thing I want. So CSE will get $0 from me when they could have easily get $25-30 if they did it right.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• MkilbrideMkilbride Hooksett, NHPosts: 637Member Uncommon

CSE is a small company. IT & ALpha has to be very limited because of server capacity. They can't unleash it upon tens of thousands like a company that has tens of millions to spend.

110$ is currently the best price for the money.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Originally posted by Mkilbride

CSE is a small company. IT & ALpha has to be very limited because of server capacity. They can't unleash it upon tens of thousands like a company that has tens of millions to spend.

The kickstarter has 15.850 alpha spots. The way things are going right now in the end there will be about 5-6k alpha testers which means 10k+ empty alpha spots. They could create 2 new tiers one at $30 and one at $50 (limited to 5k people each) which give alpha access. I guarantee they will be sold out within a few days. It would make them $400k out of NOTHING without any negative consequences.

• will75will75 Fatalis,The Combine, SoB... Semi retired, waiting for next big thing.., FLPosts: 353Member

But in retrospect, the 110's could back down to the 30 or 50 tiers.... 

I bumped mine to 180, i will test. 

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight malmoPosts: 54Member
    Originally posted by boxsnd

The kickstarter has 15.850 alpha spots. The way things are going right now in the end there will be about 5-6k alpha testers which means 10k+ empty alpha spots. They could create 2 new tiers one at $30 and one at $50 (limited to 5k people each) which give alpha access. I guarantee they will be sold out within a few days. It would make them $400k out of NOTHING without any negative consequences.

Would make the ppl who pledged $110 for alpha less inclined to stay there. I think the prices are very fair, better then most(if not all) games i've been interested in. And i'm sure he will add people who are active/helpfull and want to TEST, not play, on the forums to alpha. As he said about the IT tier aswell.

So pledge whatever you can now and get a good deal on the game with bonuses, and then be on their forums and be active/constructive/willing to test the game and i'm sure you will get a chance to come in to alpha testing.

If that fails atleast you got a good deal on the game and are not far away from beta at that stage anyway

Originally posted by tenfoldedmight

Would make the ppl who pledged $110 for alpha less inclined to stay there. I think the prices are very fair, better then most(if not all) games i've been interested in. And i'm sure he will add people who are active/helpfull and want to TEST, not play, on the forums to alpha. As he said about the IT tier aswell.

So pledge whatever you can now and get a good deal on the game with bonuses, and then be on their forums and be active/constructive/willing to test the game and i'm sure you will get a chance to come in to alpha testing.

If that fails atleast you got a good deal on the game and are not far away from beta at that stage anyway

Very few $110ers would downgrade since they know it may not get funded at all.

I disagree, I think a large portion of $110's would downgrade... and the number of new people pledging from the new $30 alpha access would hae to come as a huge wave to make up the difference - hard to do imo. I had the $110 bc of the alpha access and would have easily switched to $30 if I were cheap. I actually switched to $250 b/c of the lifetime subscription.

Personally, I think all the prices are fair. I think too many people want something for nothing/little nowadays. 

• VariansVarians copenhagenPosts: 10Member
    I've been holding out with my backing, cos I wanted to see how it did after a week. I believe that there are more ppl like me out there- I think the backing will be like a sinus curve from now on.
    Originally posted by chrissreef

I disagree, I think a large portion of $110's would downgrade... and the number of new people pledging from the new $30 alpha access would hae to come as a huge wave to make up the difference - hard to do imo. I had the $110 bc of the alpha access and would have easily switched to $30 if I were cheap. I actually switched to $250 b/c of the lifetime subscription.

Personally, I think all the prices are fair. I think too many people want something for nothing/little nowadays. 

Wrong. Not only will $110ers not downgrade but the 10k new $30/$50 alpha testers will probably upgrade in the last few days if the game needs the money to get funded.

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    I think people who are interested in donating small amounts like $25, 30, or 50 are mostly waiting until the very end either because they don't understand Kickstarter only charges if the project funds, they are waiting for a specific piece of information that Mark hasn't given yet, or they only want to donate if the Kickstarter gets close to funding but is a bit short on the final day. Maybe alpha access or other additional rewards would firm up their commitment at the end but it's unlikely to bring a flood of new donations right now.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• TalinTalin West Babylon, NYPosts: 824Member
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I think people who are interested in donating small amounts like $25, 30, or 50 are mostly waiting until the very end either because they don't understand Kickstarter only charges if the project funds, they are waiting for a specific piece of information that Mark hasn't given yet, or they only want to donate if the Kickstarter gets close to funding but is a bit short on the final day. Maybe alpha access or other additional rewards would firm up their commitment at the end but it's unlikely to bring a flood of new donations right now.

Or people are willing to provide a small donation closer in value to the actual cost of purchasing the game, instead of larger sums of money to obtain early access/cosmetic/perks.

I personally have no desire to be anywhere near alpha testing, and limited desire to be a part of beta testing. I love the philosophies so far, but games like WAR also sounded great in theory during the design and early implementation phases. Would people have dropped $110 for WAR pre-alpha back then? I imagine they might have, which is fine, but I doubt most would have been happy with their ultimate investment.

@ MJ

Are FP transferable? I would like to buy FP only with a separate CC and redeem with my main acct.

Not sure how to do that with KS - if it's even possible...

• Originally posted by boxsnd
    The problem is CSE think people want "rewards" which is false. People want to play it as soon as possible first, and rewards second. The tiers below $110 are very unpopular because they will let us play in 2015 while all the alpha testers will play in 2014. I was extremely excited for CU but I can't afford $110 and the cheaper tiers don't offer alpha access which is the #1 thing I want. So CSE will get $0 from me when they could have easily get $25-30 if they did it right.

Speak for yourself, I want rewards and fully understand I won't be playing the game for a while.

• DocmanduDocmandu AntwerpPosts: 60Member Common
    Originally posted by Medwynd

Speak for yourself, I want rewards and fully understand I won't be playing the game for a while.

Think people also have a wrong idea about what alpha means. You're not going to be playing a game! You've seen some of the tech vids, well that's what you will get in alpha / internal testing. Just some very rudimentary stuff that needs some stress testing / bug hunting.

Having that available at a 25-30$ price point would also mean heaps of people would select it, so they'd need quite some beefie server hardware setup to support those amounts of people. And for sure, people will cry, moan, bitch when they can't login, or when the session lags like hell because it's unoptimized code not made to run with 1000+ players.

I'd rather have less people in alpha / internal testing and them having time to develop, instead of having to waste time and resources on trying to 'support' such a mass of players.

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Docmandu

Think people also have a wrong idea about what alpha means. You're not going to be playing a game! You've seen some of the tech vids, well that's what you will get in alpha / internal testing. Just some very rudimentary stuff that needs some stress testing / bug hunting.

Having that available at a 25-30$ price point would also mean heaps of people would select it, so they'd need quite some beefie server hardware setup to support those amounts of people. And for sure, people will cry, moan, bitch when they can't login, or when the session lags like hell because it's unoptimized code not made to run with 1000+ players.

I'd rather have less people in alpha / internal testing and them having time to develop, instead of having to waste time and resources on trying to 'support' such a mass of players.

Mark changed the name of the testing stages a while back so alpha became internal testing and beta 1 became alpha. My understanding is the current alpha as listed on the Kickstarter tiers will be a playable game although obviously buggier than it will be at release, missing a few features, and not as balanced or optimized as it will be at release.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• Marcus-Marcus- Posts: 970Member Uncommon

I would like to think the #1 thing people want is a solid game like MJ is describing. Thats why i pledged my money. Not for some timestamp to join alpha/beta or what have you.

Seems to me it is you who wants rewards. You were willing to support a game (which is the point of kickstarter i would think) that you were "extremelly excited for"  till you found out you couldn't get what you wanted from your pledge tier. Now all of a sudden they aren't doing it right?

/shrug

• JayarisJayaris InvercargillPosts: 308Member

I don't really get why people are so obsessed with wanting to play the Alpha. I would never pay extra money just to try a game when it's in such a shitty state.

It would also be ridiculous to expect Alpha access with the 30$ box, there'd be too many people.

Hi

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    Only 859k more to go, can they do it ?  It is going to be close!
  • azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vaross

This thread is for the discussion of the general progress of the Camelot Unchained Kickstarter.  Please keep all discussion related to the progress of the kickstarter to this thread. 

Duplicate threads will be locked and redirected to this thread.

THANKS THE GODS!

Now the front page current forum activity will go back to normal.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!